Cats: Francesca Hayward and Steven McRae to star in film version

12 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Sounds good! Is it fair that she can sing too???!

She's not the only singing ballerina...  I know of at least two other RB dancers who have that hidden talent but they never need it when dancing classical ballet on the Covent Garden stage :) 

• Like 2

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

She's not the only singing ballerina...  I know of at least two other RB dancers who have that hidden talent but they never need it when dancing classical ballet on the Covent Garden stage :) 

I presume Anna Rose O'Sullivan can - didn't she spend some time as a child playing Little Cosette in Les Mis?

Nothing against Francesca but I think all those involved with this movie are going to be leaving it off their CVs for years to come.  The design choices alone leave it wide open to critical savagery and a tsunami of social media derision.

2 hours ago, Lindsay said:

Nothing against Francesca but I think all those involved with this movie are going to be leaving it off their CVs for years to come.  The design choices alone leave it wide open to critical savagery and a tsunami of social media derision.

That implies that all critics and everyone on social media have the same tastes. I had no preconceptions about this film so I don't know what people were expecting. But I'm happy to wait until it opens before panning it (or not, as the case may be).

• Like 13

Because the combination of human faces and bodies with CGI fur and tails in the trailers released so far is disturbing and creepy.  Even the furries don’t like it. I know not everyone has the same tastes but industry press reaction to the advance PR has been overwhelmingly critical.  I’m sure the release will do solid business with Taylor Swift fans who worship anything she does and with ALW nostalgists but I don’t think it will be an artistic highlight of this or any year.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/cats-trailer-reaction-critics-horrified-footage-1202159139/

What’s actually more staggering for me in terms of production is the proportion of things that don’t seem to really follow a pattern. Also, where are their whiskers? Why keep the human like nose it makes no sense. I think what’s freaking people out is the uncanny valley of visual effects they were thinking of using ( I can’t imagine they keeping things the way they are). Fortunately for them, those are things they can still fix in post production.

• Like 1

Okay.  Here what you say.  I rather liked the trailer so I shall probably go to see it and am keen to see Hayward and Macrae.  I am pretty allergic to the sheep on social media that take it upon themselves to decide to condemn something before they've seen it so, in a perverse way, I am already rooting for it!

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Okay.  Here what you say.  I rather liked the trailer so I shall probably go to see it and am keen to see Hayward and Macrae.  I am pretty allergic to the sheep on social media that take it upon themselves to decide to condemn something before they've seen it so, in a perverse way, I am already rooting for it!

Look, I am of the belief that with a project like this, where it’s an adaptation of a beloved musical, it’s good that they have criticism very early on that may help them deliver a better movie in the future when they release it, especially in this case when most of the things they can do to improve it is VFX. If there is one good thing about CGI is that it’s actually constantly being worked on and evolving and with the feedback they now have an idea of what people liked or disliked. I am in the end rooting for it. And by the way, a lot of people were also making fun of the genie in the live action Aladdin when the first trailer hit the web and then after the initial backlash they re-worked on the VFX to improve it and when the movie came out people loved the genie ( the movie was the sleeper hit of the summer surprising people when it hit 1 billion when it was projected to make way less than that number).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Sim said:

Not sure what Marianela Nunez or Natalia Osipova (or any of the other RB Principals) would say to FH being called 'the RB's principal dancer' !!  :D

Just goes to prove that another journalist is writing about something of which they have no knowledge or understanding...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

That error concerning Principals occurs all the time.

I thought that the premiere of the R&J film was on the 16th December. Now there are also 2 showings at Sadlers Wells before that.

Yes, that's rather annoying because we were made to feel that we had to make a mad dash for tickets on this date.  My daughter very sweetly did, at considerable expense, and then dates at SW were announced that also include Q&A with some of the dancers.  Very cheeky:  make sure you sell out the cinemas first, then add the SW dates. 

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

writing - a Principal dancer at the RB - is obviously too much effort...

Personally, I'm actually more concerned at the reference to "hitting out" - words have to be taken to such extremes for anyone to take notice these days, it seems.  "Thinks they may change their minds" is obviously too wimpish.

At least the writer isn't masquerading as a dance/arts writer, that I can see.  It's no better - and no worse - than some of the offerings from "arts correspondents" in the publications formerly known as the "quality" press.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

writing - a Principal dancer at the RB - is obviously too much effort...

It would appear that it is nothing more than the writer being unaware that there is more than one Principal in a ballet company, or alternatively unaware that in the English language the reference 'The Principal' is singular and not plural. Unlike the education profession, where there is a role of 'The Principal'.

Isobel Frodsham, Evening Standard writings, more tuned to commentaries on TV programmes such as 'I'm a Celebrity, get Me Out of Here'. Says it all .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alison said:

I must admit, I never thought I'd see the day when Francesca Hayward's name graced the side of a bus, but there you are ...

I would love to see that, but with no similar posters here, can you post an image for us ?

• Like 1