Cats: Francesca Hayward and Steven McRae to star in film version

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/11/2018 at 10:10, Saodan said:

Best of luck to her, although it is a shame that this has come, presumably, at such short notice that Hayward has been forced with withdraw from the premier of a new work created on her only a few weeks before opening night.

I'm not sure if this has been noted previously, but Wayne McGregor is down to choreograph the film.

the original  choreo for Cats is quite balletic  - especially  for Victoria  which one assumes is the  role Ms Hayward will be playing  and  if you look back at  the people who have played Victoria   in various productions  they are generally  people with  fairly significant   ballet  training  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Anyone else ? Hopefully the RB is not going to be wholly depleted to accommodate these moggies. 

depleted ? 

given the company size of  RB   it's more going to be a chance for people to  move up to their next  logical step in terms of   seniority of casting. 

Any of the 'big 5' can cope with a  2 or 3  of their  more senior members being unavailable for  a period  

Northern has a more modest payroll  but  was touring both Musketeers and Puss  in  Boots in October   with  Javier away  guesting in Cuba ...  

Edited by Nicola H

2 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

the original  choreo for Cats is quite balletic  - especially  for Victoria  which one assumes is the  role Ms Hayward will be playing  and  if you look back at  the people who have played Victoria   in various productions  they are generally  people with  fairly significant   ballet  training  

It has been announced that Hayward is playing Victoria.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

I've always thought Ballet dancers in particular were not so good at projecting their voices .....something to do with different way of breathing etc....but probably another one of those myths! 

possibly less of an issue for a film ,   but  Victoria  does seem to be a role for a dancer who sings ,   while MT has the 'triple threat' ...  people  are either  one that  does the other  two competently  or  someone who does all three to 'quite good' 

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I've always thought Ballet dancers in particular were not so good at projecting their voices .....something to do with different way of breathing etc....but probably another one of those myths! 

I'd thoroughly recommend you go to see Ashley Day in 42nd Street...

Let's call it a Day!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Looking forward to hearing him sing too 😁

Does the role of Skimbleshanks require a lot of singing? I believe "his" song is actually sung by the other cats...Or maybe they write him another song too like they do for Hayward.

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It is a bit difficult because of the breathing. When I took singing lessons I learned that I had to relax my belly so that you can breathe more deepily, but as a dancer you are just not used to it (it is a little bit more complicated, but you get the idea). Once you learn the trick to "relax" (or probably some can do it quite easy) it is up to your talent how well you can sing.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Francesca Hayward (and Steven McRae) to take lead role in Cats film
3 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Will this take McRae out of the Don Q broadcast? Corrales anyone? It will necessitate a complete change of cast for their Nutcracker dates too...

Yes.  It says on the website that he'll be back for Romeo. 

1 hour ago, Esmeralda said:

Guess this explains, why McRae didn´t revive his role at Frankenstein.

I assumed there had to be a reason, as I said when casting was announced.  I just didn't expect this reason!

I hope this is an end to it: it's starting to get a bit silly now!

• Like 6

So, who will be the next? Any guesses? Corrales was in Billy Eliott, Joseph Sissens was once in a musical too...I think Calvin Richardson were interested in musical theatre too when he was younger. Not sure with the ladies... Other candidates? 😂

Well one person's cloud is another's silver lining :)

I hadn't focused on the fact that McRae had the Don Q broadcast (I wish they'd share them out a bit more) so I'm very happy someone else will get the opportunity - and that Akane Takada will have a different partner - she seems to be have been cast with McRae in most full lengths so far this season :( 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, alison said:

I hope this is an end to it: it's starting to get a bit silly now!

But it's an amazing opportunity for them! And it will be so exciting to see some of our favourite dancers in a different medium and on the big screen (cinema relays aside). They'll be immortalised in is sure to be a very popular (and hopefully great) film. The price is missing then for just a few months out of the season.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Will this take McRae out of the Don Q broadcast? Corrales anyone? It will necessitate a complete change of cast for their Nutcracker dates too...

Yes I would love to see an Osipova /Coralles recording. It would be interesting to compare him to Ivan Vasiliev who has always been my benchmark for Basil (after Baryshnikov). As they usually want at least one big name for cinema broadcasts they seem the obvious choice. 

20 hours ago, Sunrise said:

McRae's playing Skimbleshanks! So exciting!

I've just been reminded in Links that "Skimbleshanks is an older, ginger tabby who works the mail trains at night"..........:)

Steven, Frankie and Olivia are going to be great and have a fantastic experience at the same time.

• Like 2