Cats: Francesca Hayward and Steven McRae to star in film version

It’s pitiful. Poor Francesca.  It should be such a happy time for her, and she has to deal with all this idiocy. I hope she can ignore it and just enjoy her days in the sun. 

I thought Jennifer Hudson sounded dreadful.  It’s a very difficult song to pull off, requiring an amazing vocal range that she doesn’t seem to have.  I guess there’s time between now and December to record it again.   

• Like 7

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be in the minority that actually loved Jennifer Hudson's take on it. What I find quite off-putting about the CGI is how un-uniform the face looks in relation to the rest of the body. Not appealing whatsoever even for Francesca. Looks like they didn't have the budget for great graphic artists. But perhaps its unfinished -- although based on the recent ineffectual efforts to create promising CGI by even a massive company like Disney in their live-action remakes, I shouldn't expect much.

Sidenote: I wonder if the film's high-profile means Francesca might seek a new path in the arts and her personal career (in terms of not just focusing on ballet)? She did mention in an interview that she doesn't want to be bogged down by just performing at the Royal Ballet like some of her peers have done. I think Nunez is a good example of this given the traditional, "cookie-cutter" path she took and her utmost "allegiance" to the company throughout her entire career (not that not being restricted to the Royal Ballet means otherwise! Certainly not for me!). Perhaps we'll see more of Francesca in future films? She might be a promising actress for the cinema. 

Edited by HappyTurk

1 hour ago, Alice Shortcake said:

I had to stop watching after about twenty seconds because the CGI human/cat effects made my skin crawl. Evidently some people are more sensitive to this sort of thing than others, but to me it's high octane nightmare fuel!

The film was never likely to appeal to me for various reasons and I find CGI unappealing in general - even what everyone assures me is very good CGI - but I think some of the adverse reaction to this trailer is because the format doesn’t allow enough time to adjust to the very specific look.

I found it difficult to watch the first time around but it was a lot less uncomfortable by the second time. (The best comparison I can think of is those opera singers whose voices you don’t like at first but which by the end of Act I you are fully reconciled to, once your ear has got used to them.)

Like all trailers it was too hectic to get a proper feel of the film, but I thought Francesca Hayward looked really sweet, I only saw the original musical once and it wasn't my favourite, but will probably go just for the dancers.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bridiem said:

It makes me so angry. She's playing a white cat, for God's sake! Is it a problem if a white performer is playing a brown or black cat?? Bizarrely ridiculous.

Akin to the various  critical comments about Scarlett Johansson in a trans role. It’s acting, for heaven’s sake’

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Akin to the various  critical comments about Scarlett Johansson in a trans role. It’s acting, for heaven’s sake’

It’s very sad. When you google Francesca’s name, that’s the first thing that comes up. Misty Copeland has a huge Instagram post congratulating her. However, I am confused. I did not read this whole thread. Originally, the choreographer was to be McGregor as referenced in her post. But I see Blankenbuehler is listed. I wonder why the change. Sorry if I missed that portion of the thread. 

I thought Jennifer Hudson sounded awful as well - her voice is just all wrong for a musical role, especially for a song like Memory.  Interesting as she also came to prominence on a tv talent show, but I saw Alexandra Burke in Chess recently and she stuck out like a sore thumb as by far the weakest link in an otherwise great show.  

I thought Francesca Hayward looked lovely and I am really looking forward to the film (Cats was the first West End show I ever saw when I was 9 and I was obsessed by it and I've just introduced my daughter to the soundtrack (also now aged 9) and she loves it as well).

• Like 6

• alison changed the title to Cats: Francesca Hayward and Steven McRae to star in film version

I adored Cats, and I must have seen the stage show about 6 times over the years with various casts.  However, I don't think I will enjoy seeing it as a film. I really like a good musical,  but as far as I am concerned, in order for it to work on screen there has to be a certain amount of dialogue.  Lloyd Webber's creations are a sort of pop opera ( for want of a better description.), and I think that kind of medium is best left to the stage.   I don't think the fact that Hayward is playing the white cat is sufficient to lure me to the cinema.  

And I agree about Jennifer Hudson.  Memories is actually a poignant song, with just one moment where the singer gives it all she's got in a sort of howl of anguish.  It brought tears to the eyes on stage.  This seems to have been given the usual X factor power ballad treatment, where the singer lets rip at every possible opportunity.  Not only that, but she sounds off key to me. 

• Like 3

Sorry - at the risk of sounding like that judge years ago who asked 'Who are the Beatles?', why should I know about Jennifer Hudson?  Is she a well-known pop star or something?  I never saw the stage show of Cats and the trailer doesn't really make me want to see the film version.  I do like some of the songs though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

And I agree about Jennifer Hudson.  Memories is actually a poignant song, with just one moment where the singer gives it all she's got in a sort of howl of anguish.  It brought tears to the eyes on stage.  This seems to have been given the usual X factor power ballad treatment, where the singer lets rip at every possible opportunity. 

Yes, that's exactly it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jm365 said:

Sorry - at the risk of sounding like that judge years ago who asked 'Who are the Beatles?', why should I know about Jennifer Hudson?  Is she a well-known pop star or something? 

Glad it's not just me... (I am resigned to the fact that I have never heard of a lot of people who are apparently superstars. Or if I have heard of them, I don't know who they are.) :blink:

• Like 6

I came across the following comment on Facebook yesterday. “Who is the girl who plays the little white cat?”. Swallowing my indignation I said she was Francesca Haywood, a principal at the Royal Ballet. Resounding silence in reply! 🙁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

First post Lina? Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you Richard!

I am relatively new to watching ballet. I’m really a fan of Francesca Hayward. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone move so gracefully but so naturally at the same time. She’s marvellous!

Edited by Lina
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Lina said:

Thank you Richard!

I am relatively new to watching ballet. I’m really a fan of Francesca Hayward. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone move so gracefully but so naturally at the same time. She’s marvellous!

I totally agree Lina. Her 2016 BBC Nutcracker documentary lit the touchpaper for me and opened up a whole new passion for ballet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...