Cats: Francesca Hayward and Steven McRae to star in film version

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean Yasmine Naghdi is to dance in all five performances of "Unknown Soldier",  with Ball AND with Bracewell?

I assume she's also dancing the "Symphony in C" principal role (she danced it at the May 2018 Gala) as well as" Infra" (which she danced in the previous run)? 

I am a bit surprised and puzzled why Miss Hayward has accepted to go down the musical theatre route and I hope this won't affect her classical dancing. Of course an offer to perform in Cats must have been too tempting to turn down and it is generous of Kevin O'Hare to allow her to be away from the RB and to explore a different angle of the performing arts. Wishing her good luck with this new direction.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

I am a bit surprised and puzzled why Miss Hayward has accepted to go down the musical theatre route and I hope this won't affect her classical dancing.

Probably more money than she'd see in a couple of years. 

• Like 3

Best of luck to her, although it is a shame that this has come, presumably, at such short notice that Hayward has been forced with withdraw from the premier of a new work created on her only a few weeks before opening night.

I'm not sure if this has been noted previously, but Wayne McGregor is down to choreograph the film.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Best of luck to her, although it is a shame that this has come, presumably, at such short notice that Hayward has been forced with withdraw from the premier of a new work created on her only a few weeks before opening night.

I'm not sure if this has been noted previously, but Wayne McGregor is down to choreograph the film.

I didn’t know they were re-choreographing the film.  Not really sure how I feel about Wayne McGregor doing it 😐 - I wonder why they aren’t just using Gillian Lynne’s choreo? 

• Like 6

Judy Dench,  Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift etc might argue on what the lead role is

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5697572/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

seems to be one of these 'a little bit of everything and some cream on top' musical productions

(Please don't make either Dench or McKellen twist their legs around their ears, Mr McGregor, they count as national monuments and should not be endangered for the sake of a musical)

Edited by Coated
  • Like 9

25 minutes ago, Saodan said:

I am not sure this has come at such short notice. There is a contract to be negotiated for Cats as well as her RB contract to be re-negotiated. She was due to dance in NY - Balanchine Gala - with Sambe and that was cancelled too.

We already got "hints" of her pending absence when the Autumn/Winter casting came out. 

Why they still went ahead advertising her in "Unknown Soldier" knowing Yasmine Naghdi would have to take over all those shows is a mystery.

• Like 1

Finola Hughes was the original Victoria (White Cat) in 1981 - she trained at Arts Ed in predominantly musical theatre so it will be interesting to see how Miss Hayward will interpret the role!  I think that it can only be a positive opportunity for her (and other members of the RB) to extend themselves as a dance artistes - good on K O’Hare! 

6 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

It’s a great opportunity for her (Hayward) but I don’t want her to disappear and do a Leslie Caron! 

...mind you, Gigi the Ballet! Now there’s a thought - speed dial Wheeldon? 😉

I guess the amount of money paid must have certainly counted in her accepting to appear in this musical. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, alison said:

I didn't know there was such a thing as a "lead role" in Cats?

Agree...if there is A lead role I would have said it is Munkustrap because he functions as story teller through the musical and is involved in a lot of songs. But I guess with Victoria it is a perfect choice because she is in some productions the leading female dancing cat with a dance solo ect...And not so much singing (though I have no idea how good Francesca Hayward is at singing so...).

To be honest I thought the whole time with Wayne McGregor (choreographing) that maybe someone from the RB would be involved with it.

Edit: But I wouldn´t have thought about a principal...I think there are some in the company who were involved with musical theatre before...

Edited by Esmeralda
Addition.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

I guess the amount of money paid must have certainly counted in her accepting to appear in this musical. 

Why?  I'm sure there are various other considerations.

Edited by alison
Added quote now that there is a post in the way
  • Like 6

Oh dear wish I'd known about this before Wednesday  booking!! As I only booked two pigeons twice especially to see her in the role!!

Id already booked Unknown Soldier programme so very happy to see Naghdi in this role as it s new anyway.

Of course am very happy for Francesca Hayward and of course Ball is off doing Matthew Bournes Swan Lake etc so these opportunities are terrific ....but how long ago was it certain she would be away doing this? Just a bit more notice would have been great especially when public booking was so close etc.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Wayne McGregor choreographing what precisely? The White Cat solo? or the whole musical? Thus Wayne McGregor picked "his" Cat :) 

He is re -choreographing the whole musical, at least I think so. I didn´t see any other choreographers listed. Hayward is a natural choice for him but I wouldn´t have thought necessarily that Kevin would give a principal "away"...

23 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Money, plus so many opportunities- international profile, a new medium, Hollywood....it’s a fabulous chance!

Look at Polunin how he was attracted to international fame and fortune.

Of course I don't mean to compare Hayward with him... but money and fame talk! 

This does make sense in a way... I was thinking the other day just how little she seems to have been cast (i.e. seemingly nothing for La Bayadere).

Huge congratulations to Francesca of course, though I’m sure like most on here I’ll be eagerly awaiting her return 🙂