Cats: Francesca Hayward and Steven McRae to star in film version

Well so far a piece of good news ...for me at any rate...is that she is still cast as dancing in Two Pigeons on Feb 12th the day I had booked 

I then checked on the Unknown Soldier castings ( in case they hadn't changed the website yet etc) and see that Naghdi is already showing as dancing on the day I'm going ( Nov 26th) 

Having been to the Insite evening I think this role will suit Naghdi perfectly anyway so am looking forward to that evening......what a great triple it is anyway....SO am hoping that Francesca will be back for two pigeons.....unless they haven't got around to changing that yet 😥

• Like 1

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Look at Polunin how he was attracted to international fame and fortune.

Of course I don't mean to compare Hayward with him... but money and fame talk! 

I’m not sure why he’s been mentioned in that case!

As others have said, there are many reasons why she would want to take this opportunity, and if money is one of them which of us could blame her, with a dancer’s career being as short as it is?

As for fame, I’ve seen little or no evidence that she has actively courted what publicity she has so far received: looking and dancing as she does, it seems to have worked the other way around.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

I have a strange feeling they seemingly have kept this out of public knowledge as to not influence the ticket sale!

They must have known this months ago. Such a decision is not taken from one day to the other.

Until everything is signed off it’s not certain. Who knows what was going on behind scenes, who was in for the role, what the politics were, etc? It’s quite possible it moved from outside chance to actually happening quite quickly. It’s also possible the ROH was horribly cynical, but that doesn’t seem like a very fair first assumption.

Hayward as Victoria? I may need a little lie down.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colman said:

It’s also possible the ROH was horribly cynical, but that doesn’t seem like a very fair first assumption.

Maybe not, although based on recent events I'm sure that thought will be in many people's minds.

• Like 3

https://www.onedanceuk.org/job/dancers-casting-call-for-tom-hoopers-cats-for-universal-studios/

https://dancingopportunities.com/audition-notice-lucy-bevan-casting-cats/

There were some 'open' auditions  for this over the summer.  Some of my daughter's friends attended, I am sure they will feel much better knowing they were beaten to it by a Principle of RB ;)  I wish her well and look forward to seeing the film!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I heard that Yasmine dancing with Matthew, and Anna Rose O'Sullivan dancing with Will Bracewell

I would guess that they probably just updated the Hayward performances and haven't yet got around to updating the others.

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

I didn’t know they were re-choreographing the film.  Not really sure how I feel about Wayne McGregor doing it 😐 - I wonder why they aren’t just using Gillian Lynne’s choreo? 

What works on stage doesn't work in a film - clearly can't. Hopefully he's adapting the original where possible and adding new stuff as needed rather than redoing the whole thing in his own style, but who knows?

Even the filmed version of the stage musical that's available was an adaption.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I have a strange feeling they seemingly have kept this out of public knowledge as to not influence the ticket sale!

They must have known this months ago. Such a decision is not taken from one day to the other.

As a previously avid film goer who used to read Empire magazine from front to back and front again I know that films that have seemed to be certainties can collapse at the last minute.  Presumably there could be no official announcement until the contracts were signed, the Ts crossed and the Is dotted.

Good for Francesca Hayward and good for Kevin O'Hare for releasing her.

As we keep on going on about the strength and depth of the Royal Ballet at the moment then surely it's not the end of the world if a couple of people are missing for a few months.

• Like 11

The ROH has 4 booking periods and Spring includes Romeo & Juliet, Frankenstein and the Flight Pattern Triple bill.

Many congratulations to Francesca Hayward - I'll be sad not to see her Sugar Plum Fairy/Two Pigeons/Unknown Soldier but am very much hoping filming etc is complete for her Juliet.

It's great that Kevin O'Hare supports his dancers and what a fabulous opportunity for Francesca ... and for broadening interest in dance and capturing wider audiences.

• Like 1

Since Dave has put it up here, I too have heard that Anna Rose will be taking Yasmine's place in the Bracewell pairing in Unknown Soldier.  I am sorry we are losing Frankie for a while, but thrilled that we don't have to wait until R&J to see Yasmine and Matthew dance together again.  Also thrilled that Anna-Rose is getting all these good chances this year.  Maybe next for promotion to First Soloist.  I for one hope so, anyway! 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

......then surely it's not the end of the world if a couple of people are missing for a few months.

No, it isn’t but I think that people on here are saying that no account was taken of the fact that booking for a lot of customers, including many ‘regulars’, opened only days ago and performance selections will have been made on the basis of casting which was known by then to be out of date. Unfortunately, this is another misjudgement in  pretty long list since the ROH “opened up”.

In addition, the absence of information about the casts for Infra and Symphony in C is not helping matters.

• Like 9

From Frankie's  Instagram post:

"I am excited to announce that I am joining the cast of Universal Pictures & Working Title’s new film adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Cats, directed by Tom Hooper. I am hugely thankful to the Royal Ballet, especially Kevin O’Hare for supporting me on this new adventure. I really am very sorry to anyone who has bought tickets to see me in upcoming performances but I will be back on the Royal Opera House stage by the Spring season! Please keep checking the website for cast announcements in the next few months."

The  "Spring Season"  has Frankenstein,  Romeo and Juliet and the May triple bill. I would not assume she will be in anything at the RB before those, and we will need to look out for further cast changes, as the RB and Frankie herself have indicated. 

For  those of us that have booked to see her over the next few months it is pretty disappointing. This might  be offset to a degree by feeling pleased for her, but as  I have not seen "Cats"   I have no idea how good a move it represents.  Does "Cats" actually have  any dancing in it that would require the skill set of a principal ballerina from the RB? And is her role just dancing, or will she have to act and sing?

• Like 1

I've been pondering the somewhat odd pairing of Andrew Lloyd Webber with McGregor..not exactly a combination that would ever have occured to me- in fact the phrase 'uneasy bedfellows' comes to mind....Or is it just me?

Edited by Mary
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

From Frankie's  Instagram post:

"I am excited to announce that I am joining the cast of Universal Pictures & Working Title’s new film adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Cats, directed by Tom Hooper. I am hugely thankful to the Royal Ballet, especially Kevin O’Hare for supporting me on this new adventure. I really am very sorry to anyone who has bought tickets to see me in upcoming performances but I will be back on the Royal Opera House stage by the Spring season! Please keep checking the website for cast announcements in the next few months."

Link to the relevant Instagram post:

How wonderful for her. Reminds me of Campbell saying he had auditioned for a part in An American in Paris. 

I hope she enjoys the process and experience. Quite a pair her and Campbell. Certainly they seem to have a lot of outside interests and curious of other avenues. Why not.

On and Victoria is a gorgeous distinctive cat. 

Edited by Shya100

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Oh dear wish I'd known about this before Wednesday  booking!! As I only booked two pigeons twice especially to see her in the role!!

Id already booked Unknown Soldier programme so very happy to see Naghdi in this role as it s new anyway.

Of course am very happy for Francesca Hayward and of course Ball is off doing Matthew Bournes Swan Lake etc so these opportunities are terrific ....but how long ago was it certain she would be away doing this? Just a bit more notice would have been great especially when public booking was so close etc.

I have to agree with you.  I had bought a ticket for Hayward last night.  Not that Naghdi won't be wonderful, but it was Hayward I wanted to see.

3 hours ago, Vanartus said:

I know what you mean - but could have been interesting....

A shame there won't be an opportunity to read his programme notes!