Blisters. 😩

balletbean

Blisters- The bane but reality of all dancers life, so I’m sure there are some fantastic home remedies out there that I don’t know about.

Especially where it doesn’t require a trip to a chemist for supplies (not practical). 

Focusing more do on the type of blister that has already burst and raw skin exposed all within one lesson 😩.   

An interesting topic so I’m looking forward to reading your tried and tested, successful treatments. 

Thank you. 

Word of caution - get treated properly!

My dd got blisters on both her ‘bunion’ joints (not that she has bunions, just easiest way to describe where they were!) carried on dancing. She ended up on antibiotics because they got infected! So please don’t take short cuts with blisters, use proper dressings. 

They were not a pretty site! And we had to do all this with photos on messanger as dd away at school! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Word of caution - get treated properly!

My dd got blisters on both her ‘bunion’ joints (not that she has bunions, just easiest way to describe where they were!) carried on dancing. She ended up on antibiotics because they got infected! So please don’t take short cuts with blisters, use proper dressings. 

They were not a pretty site! And we had to do all this with photos on messanger as dd away at school! 

Oh. Bless your DD and thank-you for the warning. 

DD is also away and has her Adv1 exam next week. With all the additional lessons she has managed to suffer a broken blister on her little toe today. Doesn’t usually suffer with any kind of  feet/skin issues.🤞🏼 Can’t even tape or plaster the small area. I was thinking, soak in salt water then leave open to air dry. Now I’m. not so sure. 🥺

Edited by balletbean

Ouch!!!!! Why are they always in awkward places! My dd ended up trying to walk to school in flip flops or in her warm up boots as couldn’t get shoes or trainers on for 2 weeks! They took longer than that to heel they were that bad! 

I would just say keep it clean and as you say keep it dry. Can she put an individual toe protector over it for now! Only thing I can suggest at the moment (that’s what I would suggest to my dd!)

Hopefully someone else will come along with another suggestion soon 😁

Good luck to your dd for adv1 🍀

Expose as much as possible between now and the exam. She must know the exam work inside out so just run through the exercises in bare feet or flats until fully healed. She won’t do herself any favours trying to do work in shoes that are hurting her. 

Once healed dab her feet with surgical spirit to dry and harden skin. I’d bind each toe separately with micropore to stop future problems. Available in different widths in Boots but easy to rip to width. 

My new work shoes rubbed my little toes raw and I managed to wrap micropore round my little toes. Few months in still doing it as don’t trust shoes not to rub and shifts are 12.5 hrs long so can’t hobble around! My feet are tiny, size 2 and I manage to dress little toes with micropore. 

Also show feet to teacher and ask if they have any ideas or tricks. 

Edited to add - micropore wrapping every toe advice given to Dd when she used to see the BRB podiatrist 

Edited by Jane
To add final sentence
  • Like 3

I too am a great fan of surgical spirit.  When I was a professional ballet dancer I used it, and continue to do so while teaching.  In that latter case it helps stop the skin between the toes going soggy and splitting.  Beware, if you get it on raw or cracked skin it stings like mad and is very painful.  On the other hand, in an emergency I have used it on open blisters (agony) but it did seem to burn off the nerve endings so the blisters no longer hurt! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I too am a great fan of surgical spirit.  When I was a professional ballet dancer I used it, and continue to do so while teaching.  In that latter case it helps stop the skin between the toes going soggy and splitting.  Beware, if you get it on raw or cracked skin it stings like mad and is very painful.  On the other hand, in an emergency I have used it on open blisters (agony) but it did seem to burn off the nerve endings so the blisters no longer hurt! 

Surgical spirit on open blisters is agony but worth it. The blister drys up much quicker.

• Like 1

We’ve only used dettol warm water to clean and lots of air

for dancing with blisters we’ve used compeed plasters which are big and gel like and don’t move 

might save myself some money if I just give her surgical spirit next time and tell her to toughen up! Haha 

Thank you one & all.

DD has had an intense few weeks and with soggy weather and sweaty studios her poor feet are beginning to scream ‘holidays’!!!!! 3 external exams, 3 assessments,  academic exams and not forgetting end of year show, I’m exhausted just thinking about it! 

Count down to summer holidays, T-13 days and counting. 

Flip Flops sun sand sea and home sweet home will be what any chiropodist would prescribe  😎☀️  

• Like 3

Wrt Micropore, I'd just add that in my experience only actual Micropore made by 3M actually works properly on feet: the lesser versions marketed as "microporous tape" (some of which are real garbage) don't reliably stick to the undersides of the feet, which can be problematic if you're not sticking the tape to itself!

On 22/06/2019 at 02:04, alison said:

Wrt Micropore, I'd just add that in my experience only actual Micropore made by 3M actually works properly on feet: the lesser versions marketed as "microporous tape" (some of which are real garbage) don't reliably stick to the undersides of the feet, which can be problematic if you're not sticking the tape to itself!

Nothing seems to stick to my skin. Be it plasters (any make) or even micropore. 3M is the only one but only if it’s wrapped around and sticks to itself not the skin. I can sympathise with my daughter who struggles with the same issues. 

For many years I used to take my mother for regular blood tests as she is on Warfarin, so got friendly with the staff.  While the nurse was taping the dressing on her arm with micropore, I told him that dancers use it a lot.  He replied that when he was in the Army they used to use zinc oxide tape to avoid blisters from their boots.  I have never used it myself, but it might be worth a try.

7 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

He replied that when he was in the Army they used to use zinc oxide tape to avoid blisters from their boots.  I have never used it myself, but it might be worth a try.

I can’t speak for it in terms of dance, but zinc oxide tape is the business when it comes to preventing blisters while trekking and climbing. I even use it when breaking in new shoes. If the skin starts to feel a bit sore but is not yet a blister, some spray plaster (build up a few layers) and zinc oxide tape over the top works well to head it off. For a developed blister I’d just pop it if appropriate, clean it and put the zinc oxide tape straight on to it — the blister should start to dry out quite nicely through the tape. The zinc oxide helps to prevent infection. I find that the tape often needs to be held down by other strategically placed strips or some micropore to avoid it moving around; I have trouble getting stuff to stick to me, too! 

The gospel according to my DD:

• Surgical Spirit for prevention - apply and it makes the skin tougher.
  • Remedial treatment - lance blister then apply "New Skin" by Germolene.
Edited by richieN
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 18:01, Pas de Quatre said:

For many years I used to take my mother for regular blood tests as she is on Warfarin, so got friendly with the staff.  While the nurse was taping the dressing on her arm with micropore, I told him that dancers use it a lot.  He replied that when he was in the Army they used to use zinc oxide tape to avoid blisters from their boots.  I have never used it myself, but it might be worth a try.

On 23/06/2019 at 19:23, richieN said:

The gospel according to my DD:

• Surgical Spirit for prevention - apply and it makes the skin tougher.
  • Remedial treatment - lance blister then apply "New Skin" by Germolene.

Thank you. I feel more educated now on the subject. 🤞🏼😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

Thank you. I feel more educated now on the subject. 🤞🏼😉

I agree ... DD has been on pointe for a year now, and appears to be unscathed ! But it is only for about 20/30 mins twice a week! 

I've always got compeed plasters and micropore tape in stock but have now added zinc oxide tape and surgical spirit! With 'new skin' on the shopping list! 

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Dizzyballetmum said:

Does anyone have any tips on how best  to prevent blisters and also any tips on speeding up healing and recovery ? My DD has a very painful raw blister almost covering the back of her heel . Not the best timing with a busy week ahead including her annual ballet assessment. 

She should try to get as much fresh air to her feet as possible this weekend, so bare feet to help it heal. As mentioned compeed good but we’ve also used opsite especially when blister larger than compeed. 
With you mentioning it being her annual ballet assessment I’m guessing she’s at vocational school? If so she should head to medical and ask their advice, they see blisters all the time. 

A lady recently gave me some Tagetes(a vivid yellow flower, part of marigold family, known for healing properties) essential oil which put in toes/heels can help prevent (& heal?) blisters.... she said traditionally dancers have used this (& actually I do have a dim distant memory of yellow stained feet when I used some ‘cure’ in a tiny bottle I was given back in the day!) 

Neals Yard & other brands available. 

Reminds me I must remember to pass this little bottle onto the DD!  

On 23/06/2019 at 18:01, Pas de Quatre said:

zinc oxide tape is great , although it sees mto have fallen out of favour and use  in recent years 

hydrocolloid  dressings  are fabulous for  blisters, especially those which have deroofed  themselves ...   the 'first aid' advice is never pop blisters,  the reality  may be somewhat different  - but  rememberign that popping  or de-roofing/ debriding a blister   is opening a portal for infections .

• Like 1

I don't want to spread alarm and despondency but I thought of this thread last night when coincidentally an online friend told me that their child (not a dancer) had been very sick from cellulitis of the foot. It arose from a blister which they had ignored due to training for a major competition. They are on the mend now, but their sports season has come to a premature end and they didn't make it to the big comp. Obviously that's rare, but I think it makes the point that whilst blisters are generally no more than a minor problem for most people, they can turn nasty - especially if kept inside sweaty boots or shoes for long periods of hard training. 

Given the temptation that many young dancers face to push on through injuries I thought it was worth sharing as a (suitably anonymised) cautionary tale. Had this young person sought help sooner, and taken a short time out, the damage would almost certainly have been far less. Take your blisters seriously!

• Like 6