Audience Behaviour

This blog post gives some account of British audience behaviour in 1782, including people in the lower and middle galleries quarrelling with those in the upper gallery!! Sorry if a little off topic. I found this by chance and love the vivid description! https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/aquatic-theatre-sadlers-wells-early-19th-century/amp/

Edited by Josephine

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I once sat next to a very long time ballet goer in a performance of Romeo in the narrow part of the horseshoe in the amphi. I did a bit of chuntering about the people in front as they were leaning forward and blocking my view.  She replied that she never minded about this as she would be seeing lots of performances and it might be their first time. Have to say that this brought me up a bit short and made me think that I should try and be equally generous, but it is easier to be so if the reason for the disruption is that someone is really caught up with the action on stage and just wants to see what is going on.

Good point, but again it does presuppose that you *are* going to see a lot of performances, and will actually get to see them.  I'd thought that would be the case with me, but it could turn out that the only one I shall have seen will be the one before Christmas.  Life is unpredictable, whether it be Southern trains or something else.

Regarding your comment about the whole row having to stand to let a child out, reminds me of a time, many years ago, when I had a similar thing happen to me.  On this occasion, a group of us had gone to see Swan Lake, with Sylvie Guillem.  It wasn't at the Opera House, must have been while it was being refurbished.  I think it might have been at the Coliseum, and we were right up in the roof.  Anyway, right in the middle of Act III, with Guillem in full flight, one member of our party stood up and started to push her way to the aisle.  Apparently she was feeling overcome by the heat.  Fine, ok, but she didn't leave quietly, she stopped to explain to everyone in our group why she was leaving....while standing right in front of me.  I can still remember how sharply I told her to GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!  And her response was to just giggle and carry on standing there.  If we had been in front row, she might very well have been thrown over!  The girl in question wasn't a particular friend of mine before, and she certainly wasn't afterwards.  Not after I had missed a crucial piece of the action. 

On the other hand, Kit Hartington said that theatre would die if these sorts of rules   prevented young people from coming...

I don’t accept this at all. Asking people not to eat or text or tweet during a performance is not ‘preventing’ young people from coming. It is simply asking that they keep their hands away from their mouths and electronic devices for a couple of hours. This seems like a reasonable request.

• Like 4

Well, somewhere in the dim and distant past, I was a young person.  And in those days everyone could manage perfectly well without having to take in a bucket of popcorn and a barrel of coke.  Although I remember my mother would occasionally buy me a hot dog at the cinema as a special treat before going in to see the latest Disney cartoon.  But we were not allowed to take any food in, on the grounds that it would smell.  

I wish the staff had said that to the couple who were wolfing down what smelt like a take away curry the other day when I went to the theatre.  The aroma was overpowering, to put in mildly.  

I wasn't sure whether to post on the Sleeping Beauty thread  - but have gone for this discussion as the current run has really brought it home for me (not that I didn't know already!) how the audience can really make or break a performance. While agreeing totally with all the enthusiastic comments regarding Francesca's debut, I am sorry to say that I wasn't able to enjoy that matinee at all - it's a huge shame when such a lovely occasion and important debut can be ruined, but ruined it was - with endless loud unwrapping of sweets (continuous), children being hauled onto laps (distracting), and another being taken to the bathroom, meaning the whole row had to stand up, during the grand pas de deux! And this without mentioning the noisy conversations (covered above) during the Act 2 and 3 break.  If anyone has any tips for not getting wound up and letting the audience 'get to you', I'd be really grateful!  

That does sound beyond the pale, though I hope that posters here at least make some allowances for children at matinees: I certainly don't go to a matinee for a child-friendly ballet and expect the same degree of reverential hush as is normal at an evening performance.  As for tips, I think it's just a case of thinking something along the lines of the saying that living well is the best revenge. I also bear in mind that the audience at the ROH is mostly extraordinarily well behaved and responds well to requests to sit back or stop their phone from flashing or whatever - I've certainly seen nothing to equal the Russian Bolshoi-goer who, when his phone rang in the middle of a performance, calmly answered it and started conducting a conversation!

I try to remember two incidents which have put minor annoyances in context: the first was some kind of medical emergency during I forget which opera, and the paramedics had to do their thing within the auditorium behind the back row - this carried on throughout Act 1. There were obviously bleeps and comings and goings and so on: I remember at the time I was vaguely cross that they hadn't taken it outside the auditorium, but that was obviously quite wrong of me and it's since served as a reminder that there are more important things.

The second was at an Andras Schiff recital where I was very annoyed throughout the first half by a loudly ticking wristwatch.  When I mentioned it (tentatively, thank God!) to my suspect she was very apologetic, said no-one had ever mentioned it before, removed her watch and explained that it must have been resonating on her prosthetic arm!

• Like 3

I'm not that old, and I can certainly remember being an 18 year old theatre goer in London and being able to survive whole shows without eating anything in the auditorium. Frankly it sounds like yet another accuse for appalling manners and a complete disregard for other people.

How that attitude could develop in a civic and political environment that makes it clear we have no duty of care for anyone, I can't imagine.

• Like 3

Lizbie1 - those two incidents you mention certainly put things in perspective. And you only have to switch on the news and look at Syria, Sudan and goodness knows where-else to realise that in the great scheme of things we're not doing too badly!

Having said that, it would be good if we could stop a bit of the rot on the eating, texting front - just a tad...

• Like 3

Sleeping Beauty was beautiful last night...My experience last night in stalls circle standing, was however, not.

I believe the offenders were likely not regulars, as they decided not to stand in their ticketed places and stand in a cluster together. I think they were a family, which was nice, but they talked and whispered, which was not. The male of the family had horrible sniffles, cue a horrible hunt for a tissue, loud whispering, noisy blowing. He sneezed during Vadim's act 2 solo, then during Marianela's Vision scene, then twice during Muntagirov's solo in Grand Pas. (I conclude he was allergic to Vadim).

At times he sat in the usher/At John Ambulance seat, then rapidly got up to see some action, leaving the seat to catapult closed horribly loudly. At this stage I shook my head in despair, only for him to do the same 5 minutes later.

In the transition from act 3-4 when ever other talker realised that everyone else had grown silent, they began to talk and get out their phones. At this stage I lost it and admonished the family matriarch, who didn't understand me, being non English. I feel quite bad now, I think she got the message. I may be rather intolerant but I found it very disruptive and not a bit disrespectful.

As I wrote on Twitter, if anyone heard someone go "SHHHHHH!!!" during the opening minutes last night, that was me telling the guy to be quiet. They didn't seem to care.

• Like 2

A couple of years ago during a performance of Richard 2 at the Barbican things started badly. A very well dressed lady with two teenage children was sitting behind me. The play started with very beautifully sung plainsong, and out came the rustling bags of nice crunchy sweets. A discreet shush from the lady sitting next to me and myself had no effect. So without more ado my next door companion turned round and confiscated the offending items. Peace reigned until the interval when there was a bit of an altercation, but apologies were made all round and the rest of the play passed uneventfully.

Edited by ninamargaret
  • Like 2

I too have been pleasantly surprised by the audience behaviour at cinema broadcasts. Last night I fully expected there would be a great deal of sweet wrappers etc. - not a bit of it. "Rapt" was used by a previous post above, a perfect description of my experience too, not a murmur in the orchestral interludes. I noted that in front of me was a young boy of about fourteen with his family (sadly, not a typical audience member) and it was a pleasure to witness his complete immersion in the performance. I also encountered a first in a gentleman who hummed along through several of the variations, but it would have been churlish to complain about someone who was so clearly enjoying the occasion.

• Like 4

And back live at the ROH tonight, the racket again between Acts II and III. And lights from phones being consulted everywhere in the Amphi. Crazy!!!!!

Yes, it was awful last night.  Worse than at Takada/Campbell a week or so ago.  From where I was sat, in the middle of the stalls, it sounded like everyone was at it - and it went on past curtain up. Not until the scrim was up did everybody finally shut up. Arrgggghhhh!  That said, a number of people (myself included) very deliberately applauded the orchestra when they had finished that particular piece - part "sorry about that" to the orchestra and part "you just talked over some rather excellent playing, you idiots!" to the rest of the audience. 

Yes, it was awful last night.  Worse than at Takada/Campbell a week or so ago.  From where I was sat, in the middle of the stalls, it sounded like everyone was at it - and it went on past curtain up. Not until the scrim was up did everybody finally shut up. Arrgggghhhh!  That said, a number of people (myself included) very deliberately applauded the orchestra when they had finished that particular piece - part "sorry about that" to the orchestra and part "you just talked over some rather excellent playing, you idiots!" to the rest of the audience. 

Yes, I did that too, mshovelt, for exactly the same reasons. Which was some small relief to my rage!!

well I would have thought either an announcement, a shorter pause, complete darkness, or-drastic measures-- hating to pander to it but it might work- actually put someone on stage walking around to signal to the audience that this isn't an interval- it hardly matters what they do! but that would stop the noise.

• Like 1

Yes, I did that too, mshovelt, for exactly the same reasons. Which was some small relief to my rage!!

And me too (having just asked one of my neighbours to turn her 'phone off; she had been fiddling with it during the awakening scene and all through the orchestral prelude).

It has to be said, the noise was significantly louder last night, and the 'phone use significantly up too.  On the basis of my neighbours and others nearby, I would put this down to the pretty large proportion of the audience that was there to see Osipova - if she wasn't dancing, they really weren't interested.  Which is a shame, as the rest of the cast were on good form and I enjoyed the evening.

• Like 4

I agree with what is being said about last night.  I brought a friend along who hasn't been to many ballets, and I told her during the second interval that she was not to talk during the orchestral interlude.  She didn't, and enjoyed the music, but was pretty horrified by the total disregard of the orchestra by the audience.  As BBB said above, I think this was a rather atypical ROH audience.  I noticed someone getting up at the back of the stalls in the middle of Act 3, making the whole row stand up so she could walk out, then about 15 minutes later came back and reversed the process.  Errr....I thought the ushers aren't supposed to let people back in once they have left the auditorium? 

We were standing Stalls Circle, and most of the people sitting in front of us chatted all the way through the music.  As I have suggested previously, I think that an announcement should be made at the beginning asking the audience to please refrain from chatting and checking mobile phones during the orchestral interlude.  As I mentioned, they do it at the beginning of Requiem and the audience always pays heed to that announcement.  Sad that you have to ask an audience not to talk over the orchestra, but if that is the way things are these days, so be it. 

• Like 4

I think we need to make a mass complaint to the Opera House about this.  Who do we contact?  And what are the ushers thinking, to allow someone back in when they have left mid performance? There used to be a grim little room with a television screen showing the action on the stage, that was used for late comers.  Do they still have it?

Talking of ushers, I went to the Sadlers Wells to see the Flamenco last week.  We were up in the cheap seats, and there seemed to be a constant stream of people going up and down the stairs to the exit, with an usher giving them a helping hand on the stairs with a very bright light.  

And at one point they were standing by the open Exit door, having a loud conversation.  

• Like 1

I'm afraid the "latecomers will not be admitted" message which I think appears on all Sadler's tickets is a work of fiction :(

Reminds me of a performance I went to there many years ago, when latecomers kept being admitted during a Merce Cunningham piece that was being performed in SILENCE!! So the ONLY sound that could be heard was the whispering and shuffling of the latecomers and ushers etc. Completely ruined the performance. In the end it was so farcical that I Ieft the auditorium myself, very angry and upset, to protest with the staff outside and I then went home. I wrote to the theatre afterwards and they offered me a free ticket or credit voucher or some such. But that was the exception at the time; now, it seems to be the norm.

I'm afraid the "latecomers will not be admitted" message which I think appears on all Sadler's tickets is a work of fiction :(

These weren't latecomers, Alison.  They were already inside, but seemed to be allowed to come and go with complete freedom. Needless to say, they were in the middle of the rows as well, which meant there was a lot of standing up to make way for them.  

I have every sympathy with someone who has, say, a weak bladder, or feels sick, or is overcome with a coughing fit they can't control, or suffers from any issue that means they have to make their way out of the auditorium.  But they shouldn't be allowed to keep doing it.

• Like 2

Ah, sorry.  If you have something which is a relatively permanent condition, presumably you would make allowances for it and get a seat somewhere near the aisle, but temporary conditions are of course unpredictable.  I still remember the embarrassment with which I had to escape from the middle of a row in the stalls of the old Sadler's Wells (which *did* have an aisle, so not so far to go) when I had one of those uncontrollable, appear-out-of-nowhere coughing fits.  But yes, being repeatedly allowed back to your seat in such an instance is not on.

I have a nasty feeling that a couple in the ROH Orchestra Stalls some time late last year may have sneaked out for a wee drink mid-performance and were allowed back in.

• Like 1

Many years ago I saw a play called Son of Oblomov starring Spike Milligan.  It was of course peppered with Milligan's famous goonish ad libs, but he had a unique way of dealing with latecomers.  "Someone's late, right, let's go back to the beginning"  When this became common knowledge through the press everyone turned up on time, fearful of being singled out for ridicule. 

Extreme, but it worked.

• Like 3

I stopped going to SW because they allow people to more or less treat the theatre as their own living room. When I complained about disruption once I was offered a voucher, but it was just being offered more of the same so didn't really meet my concern! I just want them to stop letting people in after the performance has started ( unless there is a real break/pause), and ideally stop letting them take food and drink in but I guess there is no hope of that now..

If ROH start letting people in during performances..oh no ....I can't even think about it..

I should just have to get a huge TV and stay at home!

Perhaps it IS worth complaining frequently, so they know that the ROH audience doesn't like it.

• Like 3

If ROH start letting people in during performances..oh no ....

I think we perhaps need to ask if it's not a case of letting people return but of not being able to stop them - 'entitled' people who believe that paying for a ticket allows them to do as they please are not going to be deterred by a polite usher tellling them they can't go back in.

• Like 1

Sadly, this 'entitlement'' mentality has to be tacked with more forthright statements about protocol. Stronger language in any announcements pre curtain up and on billboards around the public areas would be one idea such as indicating that members of the audience should refrain from talking and using mobile phones a any time during the performance including during orchestral interludes and tha management reserves the right to remove any person who fails to abide by this .This can help give confidence to the ushers, members of the public who may feel they wish to challenge disrespectful behaviour.

• Like 6

May I ask any German ballet fans how the audience behaves ? I have no experience of German ballet going, but a few months ago my first trip to Germany was spent mostly stranded in Hamburg coach station (a tiny, tiny place) My connecting coach was due around midnight.At around 10pm all of a sudden a chap in a high viz jacket arrived shouting something ( I speak no German but gathered that the station was closing for the night). Everybody promptly got up and left the relative warmth of the bus enclosure (I followed) with not so much as an eye roll (it was -2 outside)....to wait for their coaches outside. I was rather surprised and impressed....

Edited by Ellie