Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 06:44, bangorballetboy said:

I also had a humming neighbour for the matinée but, as he was waving a stick at the orchestra, I couldn't really complain. ;)

Didn't realise Valeri Gergiev was conducting for the RB now :)

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

i think The Fourth Doctor  has the answer to the  sweet issue ...  (aslong as the bag is suitably soft paper) 

would  you  like a Jelly Baby ?

EXTERMINATE!

8 hours ago, Nicola H said:

i think The Fourth Doctor  has the answer to the  sweet issue ...  (aslong as the bag is suitably soft paper) 

would  you  like a Jelly Baby ?

Fantastic! I literally laughed out Loud. 🤣😂 Just what I needed after finishing a 4x night shift, and waking to a very windy,rainy day in Liverpool. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight at a wonderfully non- ballet performance (Lady Windermere’s Fan at the Vaudeville, highly recommend) I was incensed by a mobile phone actually ringing in the first act as well as text message pings, slurps of drinks, rustling of some food item or other. Not sure if behaviour is getting generally more unacceptable or if following this conversation has just made me highly intolerant!!!

I went to Five Guys Named Moe the other night and, after an announcement at the start that no recording or photography was permitted, a woman had the gall to get out her phone and start filming it even though she was sitting three seats away from an usher! Suffice to say it didn't go on for very long.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to say that if they're kind enough to share their best photos, I'm delighted.  bangorballetboy for one has been generous enough to share fabulous photos on many occasions on Instagram which have certainly added to my enjoyment.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, buflesse said:

What does everyone think of audience members' tendency to take photos at the very end of a ballet, when the dancers are taking their bows? I can't help but find it irritating.

Well, the dancers don't find it irritating.

I note that Wigmore Hall are now implicitly encouraging the taking of photos during bows.

But they have never said it's not allowed, either.  As long as photos aren't taken during a performance, the ROH is very happy for people to take photos during curtain calls.  Indeed, many of the dancers use those photos on their social media pages.

The ones who are really strict about curtain call photos are the Coliseum;  I've been slapped down a few times trying to take photos there, so haven't bothered trying for the past few years!  

• Like 1

One thing that annoys me are those who decide to put on their coats and hats during the final applause. What can't wait to get out quick enough? The fidgeting is annoying and people behind can't see the dancers. Last time I was at the Brum Hippodrome, the lady next to me put on a tall hat. If I was behind her, it wouldn't have been on for very long! :angry:

• Like 7

I never do that, but I know that for some people, they have trains to catch so have to make a beeline for the exit as soon as the curtain comes down.  Others want to beat the cloakroom queues and others simply want to get out before the queues start on the stairs.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, buflesse said:

Totally agree! Some people make a beeline for the exit as soon as the curtain falls :/

My better third and I did that once when we had a train to Paris to catch.  Was rather funny when we bumped into one of the dancers we had just seen on the stage at St. Pancras!

• Like 1

Many of us do not live in London and have to run for trains.....it can be very sad not to be able to stay and we might long to.

I always get out of the way quickly though, and sometimes turn and give  a last clap from the exit door.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mary said:

Many of us do not live in London and have to run for trains.....it can be very sad not to be able to stay and we might long to.

I always get out of the way quickly though, and sometimes turn and give  a last clap from the exit door.

Same here on all points! A quick exit can mean the difference between getting home at midnight and getting home at 2am, or in the case of overruns missing the train altogether.

As I'm not disrupting the performance itself I make no apologies for it: it's already difficult enough for us provincials to see the ballet in London, seeing as ROH's idea of making concessions is throwing in the occasional matinee for a select number of productions.  (If only they could be persuaded to offer early starts rather than pushing them back as late as they dare...)

• Like 3

a little off topic, but one time I was roundly reprimanded by an usher at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC for taking a picture.... of my friends sitting in the audience.... during the intermission! "Didn't you hear the announcement?" she snapped. "NO PICTURES!!!". "I'm so sorry," I stammered, "I thought that just meant of the dancers... on st..."  "Didn't you hear the announcement?" she snapped. "NO PICTURES!!!".

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Blossom said:

Tonight at a wonderfully non- ballet performance (Lady Windermere’s Fan at the Vaudeville, highly recommend) I was incensed by a mobile phone actually ringing in the first act as well as text message pings, slurps of drinks, rustling of some food item or other. Not sure if behaviour is getting generally more unacceptable or if following this conversation has just made me highly intolerant!!!

Sorry to hear that, Blossom. I just thought yesterday that I would like to go and see that... now I'm not so sure!

3 hours ago, Sim said:

I never do that, but I know that for some people, they have trains to catch so have to make a beeline for the exit as soon as the curtain comes down.  Others want to beat the cloakroom queues and others simply want to get out before the queues start on the stairs.  

Or kids they need to get out of there before the good behaviour timer runs out!

• Like 1