Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

One of my students got waiting list for Royal summer school yesterday and told her mum she didn't stand a chance at MAs or White Lodge if she didn't get summer school. Today her mum has rang me to say she's been asked to White Lodge finals for Y7. She auditioned at Birmingham last Wednesday. I do wish these schools would explain their logic to us because it ties me up in knots trying to figure out and second guess!

Anyway I'm a very proud teacher tonight, especially since the little dancer in question was my very first Royal JA after I qualified.

• Like 11

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done bluebird22 I look forward to finding out who the JA is at our next lesson. So lovely to hear a home teacher being proud of their pupils.

Dizzymum and discomonkfish what a horrible extra wait for you fingers crossed for news tomorrow or maybe you could email and ask X

• Like 3

I am a firm believer in that things happen for a reason. Our DS was a JA and auditioned for a yr 7 place at WL, ELmhurst and The HAmmond. He got finals for WL and ELmurst but a no for both at the finish ,however he got a funded place at HAmmond. He has spent the last five years there and got a taste for musical theatre, he successfully auditioned at Laine and Bird last year and was offered a funded place at both. He started Laine which was his first choice last September and is loving it !!! The all round training at the Hammond including the singing and drama has really helped him follow his dream.

• Like 10

Please correct me if I'm wrong but summer school places are allocated on photo only, so they might have seen something they liked there but not seen how beautifully musical your DD/DS is but then when it came to the actual live audition they saw something special in your DD/DS so that's why summer school is such a lottery.

• Like 2

Does anyone know anything about the academic side of White Lodge? All of the info I can find is that they teach 2/3 of a timetable compared to non-vocational schools. Wondering about teaching staff for academic subjects, options at GCSE, GCSE results etc ...... My dd has a final audition at White Lodge and people ask if she'll go there if she's offered a place. It's hard to answer having never seen the school and knowing nothing about the curriculum apart from ballet!

Does anyone know anything about the academic side of White Lodge? All of the info I can find is that they teach 2/3 of a timetable compared to non-vocational schools. Wondering about teaching staff for academic subjects, options at GCSE, GCSE results etc ...... My dd has a final audition at White Lodge and people ask if she'll go there if she's offered a place. It's hard to answer having never seen the school and knowing nothing about the curriculum apart from ballet!

From memory (we went to an open day in 2014), they do approx 9 GCSEs and do get quite good results.  I know they had a recent Ofsted report published so might be worth looking at that.  Not sure if their results are recorded in the school league tables but would be worth having a look.  I do recall they do combined Science which counts as a double award as opposed to 3 separate subjects.  I know the ballet schools have to maintain a good level of academic results in order to continue getting their funding from the DfE.  Also have a look at the annual report on the RBS website.

Big congrats to your DD too.  She's done brilliantly to get to WL finals, the competition is so stiff.

Their may be some differences in the next few years due to changes in the way results will be reported & schools judged. WL may not make any changes but some other schools eg Hammond have. The current year 9 will be offered triple science for the first time & will not take Dance GCSE for example as certain subjects will have higher weightings in league tables & Progress 9.

I understand why RBS don't do this but it is very helpful in my opinion to be able to attend an Open Day such as Hammond do where you can chat to all the academic teachers about their subjects.

Many thanks for that, dancefanatic and pictures. I didn't know that there was an RBS annual report on their website - even although it's not the latest, it stills makes interesting reading. TBH everything is new as all that I knew about White Lodge before now was that it's an impressively white building with a statue of Margot Fonteyn in the hallway. We certainly weren't expecting to get a final audition and only ticked the box on the Mid Associate application form because everyone else seemed to be ticking it! We haven't ever applied for anywhere else either, so have no alternative audition experience to draw on - which is why I'm here, with so many questions!

• Like 1

Has anyone had any yes's for Manchester Yr 7 White Lodge or Mids yet?

Hi disconkfish ... Still awaiting a result for DD year seven Manchester here xxx

A yes today for my pupil,  Manchester Yr 7 White Lodge :) It was worth the wait!!  Hope you have good news too discomonkfish & Dizzyballetmum.

• Like 5

Massive congratulations to everyone who's received a yes to White Lodge finals, it is a lovely day out for you and you dc and I know you will all thoroughly enjoy the experience!! I wish you all the luck in the world and how exciting is it to know that some of the future WL year 7's are here among us!!

And to those with a no for now, just remember that your dc have worked incredibly hard and done extremely well and it really is only a no for now, there are many stories right here on this site of dc getting knock backs and the dreaded no letters who then go on to achieve incredible things, getting accepted into the school of their choice, receiving multiple offers etc the sky is your limit so continue to do the thing you love and the rewards for you hard work and perseverance will come in due course. Best of luck to you all xx

• Like 10

Lovely post Lema, and maybe we will see you at Tring funding auditions? (Not sure if they do it all in one group or different groups for different years, any idea when we hear more about the funding auditions? I realised today it's only 3 weeks away!)

Amos I will ask my dd when she gets home from school I she can remember whether they are mixed at finals as I can't remember. I've just checked through my emails from last year to see if I could find anything from Tring with details about finals and there wasn't anything, so I'm guessing any info must have came by post last year, but I have the most shocking memory so I can't be sure :D sorry not very helpful at all this morning am I!! Haha.

• Like 1

Any mums and DD's or DS's planning on staying at the Richmond premier inn on the 3rd march prior to the WL final audition ? Thought it might be nice to get together for a bite to eat to put our little dancers at ease and of course squeeze in a glass of wine ( for the mothers of course ???? xx

• Like 1

Anyone else still waiting? My dd is an international application because we are currently in Houston with DH's job but expecting to repatriate this summer. I've been lurking for a bit but didn't want to say much because of being international. We were suppose to hear by end of January. We applied to Tring also and that was a no. We have a yes for RBS Summer week 1.

• Like 1

Hi Sam, thanks for the reply and congratulations. Can I ask who the email came from? Just wondering if the same person that sent the ss email. Not sure who to send email tool. Yes need to book flights but also need to worry about signing commitment forms here and upcoming auditions for upcoming shows.

My dd is currently year 7 at WL. The curriculum covers what you might call the slightly more traditional subjects with limited choice compared to a more ordinary secondary school. They have 6 40 min lessons a day rather than 50 mins but with classes of only 12 and all extremely well behaved children, they seem to cover as much if not more than my other dd does in her lessons!! From what I could find, recently they have been in the top 15% of non selective schools from an academic perspective.

Good luck.