Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back - phew. lots of exciting finals to come for some very talented Balletco DC's and I can't wait to follow them on their journey (with my pom poms) such a big achievement to get finals (or SS places) at any of these super selective schools in any year so you should all be incredibly proud!

• Like 2

Hi all, my DD didn't apply to elmhurst and I don't know anything about it (aside from its great training reputation) but it seems that reading through this thread that a lot of dc who auditioned at both royal and elmhurst very few were successful with finals to both or am I wrong? I was just curious as assumed they would both be looking for similar qualities in their classical dancers? Any thoughts?

Hi all, my DD didn't apply to elmhurst and I don't know anything about it (aside from its great training reputation) but it seems that reading through this thread that a lot of dc who auditioned at both royal and elmhurst very few were successful with finals to both or am I wrong? I was just curious as assumed they would both be looking for similar qualities in their classical dancers? Any thoughts?

Something I'm curious about too Aklf.  Last year, including my daughter, 4 girls in her RBS JAs class were invited to Elmhurst finals but only 3 to WL (not my DD).  One got a place at WL, the other 2 got Elmhurst (one outright, one WL initially).  My DD was devastated as she felt she must be appalling to be the only one who didn't get anywhere in terms of vocational school although she did get MAs (which she subsequently has understood was an amazing achievement in itself, having only done one term as a JA when the auditions were done).  Well, roll on 12 months and she's been invited to both WL and Elmhurst finals for a Y8 place, and this is, I've been told, a far greater achievement than it would have been last year.  Whereas I know of girls who get finals for both schools last year but not a place haven't got the opportunity for finals again this year.  All very confusing as what exactly do the schools look for?  Now, I know my DD has improved immensely since last year but surely so have the other children?  I am delighted for my girl but understand the puzzlement all to well.  And who knows what will happen next for her?  Trying not to think too much about it as I have far too much grey hair already and don't need to add to them!

And then when you look at the SS offers!!!  You can just go round in too many circles here I'm discovering.

• Like 1

Dancefanatic yes that is an incredibly impressive achievement for your DD! Yr 8 finals for both schools is definitely exceptional. Just know lots of girls who have WL finals but no from Elmhurst and vice versa and expected a big crossover! Best of luck to your DD she clearly has the passion and dedication to go far!

• Like 1

In defense of the 'email dragon' - I can say from personal experience that it takes a very long time to send out these emails. I know too well how frustrating it is for you all to be waiting, and to think "well so and so has received an email, why haven't I?" but even with the delightful 'copy and paste' capacity these days, individual details all need to be written into emails, such as names of parents and children, as well as email addresses. You can't simply send the same message to hundreds of people all at once so every single one has to be typed individually, any documentation needs attaching and this takes a lot longer than we think. I actually think for the people doing this job, email has made it harder. In the days of posting letters, you could work off a document, change the name, press print, change the name again, press print, etc etc and then someone else would do the addressing of envelopes, folding the letters, adding in forms etc putting on the postage and then they'd all go out at the same time. The chances are that now, it is one or two people having to send individual emails out to the hundreds of applicants. Not to mention also dealing with summer school at the same time.

I know it's hard, but be patient, yours will arrive, and if you can, do spare a thought for the person who has to do this job!

And of course, I wish that all of your DC's best of luck - but remember that the outcome you want now may not be the best outcome for you long term. Everything happens for a reason and a 'No' from a school is certainly not a 'you're not good enough' - anyone who wants this enough will do everything in their power to make it happen, and being at a vocational school does not guarantee success, nor does not being a vocational school mean no success!

Edited by drdance
  • Like 13

In defense of the 'email dragon' - I can say from personal experience that it takes a very long time to send out these emails. I know too well how frustrating it is for you all to be waiting, and to think "well so and so has received an email, why haven't I?" but even with the delightful 'copy and paste' capacity these days, individual details all need to be written into emails, such as names of parents and children, as well as email addresses. You can't simply send the same message to hundreds of people all at once so every single one has to be typed individually, any documentation needs attaching and this takes a lot longer than we think. I actually think for the people doing this job, email has made it harder. In the days of posting letters, you could work off a document, change the name, press print, change the name again, press print, etc etc and then someone else would do the addressing of envelopes, folding the letters, adding in forms etc putting on the postage and then they'd all go out at the same time. The chances are that now, it is one or two people having to send individual emails out to the hundreds of applicants. Not to mention also dealing with summer school at the same time.

I know it's hard, but be patient, yours will arrive, and if you can, do spare a thought for the person who has to do this job!

And of course, I wish that all of your DC's best of luck - but remember that the outcome you want now may not be the best outcome for you long term. Everything happens for a reason and a 'No' from a school is certainly not a 'you're not good enough' - anyone who wants this enough will do everything in their power to make it happen, and being at a vocational school does not guarantee success, nor does not being a vocational school mean no success!

No complaint from me, I can't believe they can manage both audition letters and summer school at the same time.  The problem with copy and paste is that it leaves a lot of room for human error. I would rather they took the time to check and double check. Its hard waiting but would be heartbreaking to receive a yes then oh no sorry that wasn't meant for you.  Keep going email dragon nearly done now. 

• Like 2

Wise words DrDance I definitely appreciate the huge job that admin have before them (being rather poorly organized myself!) I think it was just funny to think of the admin person/people as a mystical/magical creature with great power!

The mail dragon has awoken!! We were Birmingham last Weds, so less than a week for our results! No WL Y8 finals for my DD this year. Sad having made both Elmhurst and WL finals last year. Thankfully, she's already an MA, so we don't have to worry about that. In a way, I'm relieved because I'm never 100% sure if I want her to go away before 16, and we can relax now....until next year!

Good luck to everyone else, I enjoy reading your journeys.

Thank you to everyone sharing good news and less good news. It is so easy to be swept along by the excitement of auditions and recalls but it's so important that everyone realises that there are more nos than yesses and that it doesn't necessarily mean anything for long term prospects.  It is so good that we have this forum to help support each other on this mad journey.  I doff my cap to all the children brave enough to put themselves out there...I would never have been that brave at 10/11. Learning to pick yourself up and dust yourself down is a hard but valuable lesson to learn that many adults find difficult. May they all keep dancing happily wherever they end up dancing :)

• Like 15

Before we consider getting back on the horse and trying again please can someone with more experience, there seem to be lots of helpful members, tell me honestly do you know of anyone with a hearing aid at vocational school? I have searched but nothing comes up

Can't answer your question I'm afraid but if Evelyn Glennie can study percussion at the Royal Academy of Music and go on to achieve the esteemed career she has, then why not? Never set limitations, I say

We had a ballet teacher at Urdang. She was profoundly deaf but had been a ballet dancer before becoming a ballet teacher .

• Like 1

We also had a no for year 8 WL finals, like you dancintherain it is a little disappointing after getting through last year, but then I'm just grateful that she got the chance to go last year as some dc never get the opportunity!! Now just Tring and Hammond finals for us to contend with on this years roller coaster ride :) good luck anyone still waiting, huge congratulations to the yeses and commiserations to the no for nows x

• Like 1

We also had a no for year 8 WL finals, like you dancintherain it is a little disappointing after getting through last year, but then I'm just grateful that she got the chance to go last year as some dc never get the opportunity!! Now just Tring and Hammond finals for us to contend with on this years roller coaster ride :) good luck anyone still waiting, huge congratulations to the yeses and commiserations to the no for nows x

Good luck with Tring and Hammond Lema. I will keep my eye out for news!

Edited by Danceintherain
  • Like 1