Lack of Royal Ballet news (cast changes)

2 hours ago, Mary said:

Is this lack of announcements also happening in opera? I presume that if so the two worlds ( I know they overlap) will make common cause in lobbying on this issue  - and sometimes some of the opera lobby carry more weight (is my perception).

Apologies if I have missed something about this.

There were apparently very few cast change slips for the cast change in tonight’s Rhinegold (and a shortage of actual programmes too).  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

There were apparently very few cast change slips for the cast change in tonight’s Rhinegold (and a shortage of actual programmes too).  

A tannoy announcement about the cast change was made in the foyers but not inside the auditorium before curtain up. I didn’t see any cast change slips but apparently there were some. Both the Stalls and Amphi programme desks had run out of programmes well before the show which is incredibly bad form given most people will want to buy their programme at the first opera of the Ring cycle.

Anyway, back to ballet.

• Like 1

I have noticed on all recent visits that programmes /cast sheets have run out, which used to be exceptionally unusual. At Solomon (one night only oratorio) there was no cast sheet available at all, so no way of seeing any information about soloists, except by buying the  expensive programme...which was a disappointment.

A bad side effect of all this  is surely to encourage more use of electronic devices in the theatre.

• Like 1

I have several times in the last year had to ask about cast changes in the interval because I can see that the dancers have not been those on the cast sheet. First I've been told that the cast is as on the cast sheet; when I've insisted that it isn't, I've been told to ask someone else. When I've done so I've been told there are cast change slips available, and eventually I've found a few tucked under a desk somewhere. Ridiculous.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

I have several times in the last year had to ask about cast changes in the interval because I can see that the dancers have not been those on the cast sheet. First I've been told that the cast is as on the cast sheet; when I've insisted that it isn't, I've been told to ask someone else. When I've done so I've been told there are cast change slips available, and eventually I've found a few tucked under a desk somewhere. Ridiculous.

This sort of thing really needs everyone to whom it happens to raise it (politely) with the ROH (they tend not to read this Forum, it seems). An email to the appropriate type of person, followed up by a repeat (copied to to someone higher up) if there is no acknowledgement, is the only way they will learn. 

• Like 5

I have just looked at ROH website under the heading What's On where the works are listed individually ,curious as to the casting.

If anyone can work out who is dancing what,then congratulations.

It just seems that a few random names have been pulled out of a hat in no particular order.

1 hour ago, mauriceC said:

I have just looked at ROH website under the heading What's On where the works are listed individually ,curious as to the casting.

If anyone can work out who is dancing what,then congratulations.

It just seems that a few random names have been pulled out of a hat in no particular order.

The idea of that page is to give a summary of who is appearing in the main roles for each performance...like names on a poster for a film that has an ensemble cast. The order is the traditional order that the characters appear in the cast sheet.....so for Mayerling it's always Rudolf, Mary, Marie for example. Clicking on the underlined date leads to a page which details the dancer's full name and the character they play as well as running time and act length

14 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The idea of that page is to give a summary of who is appearing in the main roles for each performance...like names on a poster for a film that has an ensemble cast. The order is the traditional order that the characters appear in the cast sheet.....so for Mayerling it's always Rudolf, Mary, Marie for example. Clicking on the underlined date leads to a page which details the dancer's full name and the character they play as well as running time and act length

In general, yes.

But current La Bayadere is a different story.

Some casts start with Nikiya snd some starts with Solor.

On top of it, listing the concert master in the same line with main dancers is also confusing to me. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, yumiko said:

In general, yes.

But current La Bayadere is a different story.

Some casts start with Nikiya snd some starts with Solor.

On top of it, listing the concert master in the same line with main dancers is also confusing to me. 

Oh dear, that's definitely changed since I booked my ticket for that

On 16/10/2018 at 12:17, bangorballetboy said:

The cheapest glass of champers in the Savoy proper (American Bar, Kaspar's etc.) is £20 and it's a poorer champagne than Ruinart.  In the Savoy Grill (which is actually Gordon Ramsey), the cheapest champers is £15, but Ruinart (which is what you get at ROH) is £26 a glass.

Well if ROH want get new punters in they should try Prosecco for £5 and even then that's dear! 

5 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

If ROH are running out of cast sheets this is really poor considering the cost of tickets. They know how many tickets have been sold and I like a spare too! It's unbelievable. 

Another good reason to get there in plenty of time....hopefully they keep a 'master copy' so people can photograph it if they run out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Another good reason to get there in plenty of time....hopefully they keep a 'master copy' so people can photograph it if they run out

It would be pitiful if people had to resort to that in a world-class opera house.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it would now appear official: cast change slips are no longer being issued.

At last nights performance of Mayerling, Olivia Cowley was replaced by Lara Turk in the role of Princess Gisela. There was a notification on the screen in the cafe, and a board showing the cast change at the booth selling programmes at amphitheatre level. However, when I asked, no cast change slips were available.

I wonder if this is a new policy across the board or whether the role is not deemed important enough to warrant cast change slips anymore.

1 hour ago, Saodan said:

Well, it would now appear official: cast change slips are no longer being issued.

At last nights performance of Mayerling, Olivia Cowley was replaced by Lara Turk in the role of Princess Gisela. There was a notification on the screen in the cafe, and a board showing the cast change at the booth selling programmes at amphitheatre level. However, when I asked, no cast change slips were available.

I wonder if this is a new policy across the board or whether the role is not deemed important enough to warrant cast change slips anymore.

If it's important enough to be in the cast list, it's important enough for a change to be properly notified.

• Like 5

Why don't they just announce it via tannoy just before the lights go down, like they used to in the old days?  I know they still do sometimes, usually if it's a very late change, but if they aren't going to provide the slips, then they should make the announcement as a matter of course.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sim said:

Why don't they just announce it via tannoy just before the lights go down, like they used to in the old days?  I know they still do sometimes, usually if it's a very late change, but if they aren't going to provide the slips, then they should make the announcement as a matter of course.

because its only the regulars that would have any interest, or knowledge about, said cast changes - and as we know, they are trying to discourage us anyway

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Saodan said:

Alison,  I thought I saw you with a cast change slip that evening. Am I imaging this ? You were the only one who seemed able to find one. 

23 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

You cannot be serious.....

As it only takes me a few seconds to write a cast change onto my cast sheet (which I have to do anyway when there's a last-minute change that's not on a slip), I don't really care how they tell us, so long as they tell us.  If a notice at the programme desk can save a few trees, I'm all for that.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

You cannot be serious.....

No they will have a carbon and waste target. I mean is the change of cast sheet a good use of paper. I would say putting it on screens or announcing it is a far better way of doing things.

Also they could just be being sloppy but it seems odd. Looks more like a change in how they do things.

As another poster has already said, this is one of the top International Opera Houses in the world in our capital city, charging very high prices for a world class Arts programme.  To sell programmes comprising more than fifty pages but decide to simp on the cast changes is totally ludicrous.  It disrespects the Artistes, the audience and the Performing Arts.

Not everybody is addicted to screens.  I like to spend time reading the programme, enjoying a drink and generally soaking up the atmosphere for the night’s performance.  ROH is selling a complete experience; it is no part of the entertainment to stare at screens or hunt down front of house staff just in case their is a cast change.

i suspect that this has absolutely nothing to do with carbon footprints and everything to do with a Marketing Department that seems to be increasingly in control, whilst having little feel for its audience.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, capybara said:

Where's the screen with all this info. on it, please? I clearly need to discover it pronto as my ability to locate cast change slips has, er, 'slipped'  this ballet season.

It’s in the downstairs caff. It’s a big screen behind the counter/bar with a ticker going along a bit like on the rolling news channels. Rolling cast changes...

• Like 3

If I was a dancer, I would probably be a bit disappointed to say the least if I stepped in for another dancer (especially if it ended up being a big role for me) and there was no tangible written acknowledgement of this for audience members to take away. It's true that we could just write the names on the programmes, but a lot of audience members don't even bring pens.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh, you mean the caff I've been dashing through without time to stop the past three times I've been there?  No wonder I don't see it.

It wasn’t until my fourth visit this season  that I saw it and even then it was only when a friend pointed it out to me! 😂🤷‍♀️