The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, February 2015

Dear all,

I have been reading the forum for a while and have decided I should just join in the discussion!  I was pretty disappointed myself when I saw this production.  This is the first time I've seen this production and found it very flat in comparison to BRB or ENBs version.  I am a huge fan of Osipova so treated myself to expensive seats for my birthday thinking it would be a great night.  I am not knowledgeable about the technique of anything and in my view everyone danced to a brilliant standard but there was just no atmosphere to me and I found it quite dull.  I went on the night it was filmed and read a lot of people saying how amazing it was but I was there and felt nothing which is unusual for me.  Certainly think it's a good thing they are getting a new production.

• Like 2

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on Thursday performance...

I agree with all the comments here about Vadim Muntagirov's performance.  How he consistently turns out such good performances is beyond me - he hasn't faltered this season, which is particularly astonishing considering the number of debuts and his guest commitments (he seems to have been travelling a lot recently, judging from twitter).

I have mixed feelings about Salenko.  In some sections she danced beautifully, both solo and with Muntagirov.  She has that magic feather-light illusion some ballerinas have - she just seems to float into some positions, looking like her feet barely touch the ground.  On the other hand, some solo sections looked distinctly wobbly and on occasion she and the conductor seemed to be out of sync.  I also found myself annoyed with one particular step - there's one step which is a pirouette on two feet, where the dancer bends one leg into their thigh on each turn.  Every time she did it, she seemed really slow to raise the leg, which I found increasingly irritating! 

Also agree with the comments about the poor pas de trois in Act I - it looked really shaky.

It'll be interesting to see what the new production is like.  I think the creepy drunk tutor + children bit in Act I can definitely go, along with the gay disco throne room and the horrible orange/brown costumes in Act I.

• Like 3

I agree with all the comments here about Vadim Muntagirov's performance.  How he consistently turns out such good performances is beyond me - he hasn't faltered this season, which is particularly astonishing considering the number of debuts and his guest commitments (he seems to have been travelling a lot recently, judging from twitter).

And the number of partners and last minute changes of partner at the RB which have been referred to on another thread.

He seems to have an absolutely winning mix of talent and temperament.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

And the number of partners and last minute changes of partner at the RB which have been referred to on another thread.

He seems to have an absolutely winning mix of talent and temperament.

Totally agree. I find him enthralling to watch, both because of his beautiful dancing and his acting. I don't think the RB are making nearly enough of such a talent in their midst.

• Like 2

I think that there is a growing number of fans who want to see Muntagirov in everything! For example, I have heard questions (and disappointment) that he is not cast in Song of the Earth and was not cast in Month of the Country last autumn. But we have to remember that dancers need to be 'paced' by management and there are other Principals who must not be neglected in favour of the latest wonderful acquisition.

Anyway GO VADIM I say !!!!

I think that there is a growing number of fans who want to see Muntagirov in everything! For example, I have heard questions (and disappointment) that he is not cast in Song of the Earth and was not cast in Month of the Country last autumn. But we have to remember that dancers need to be 'paced' by management and there are other Principals who must not be neglected in favour of the latest wonderful acquisition.

Anyway GO VADIM I say !!!!

Yes, particularly after the criticisms that were levelled at management after Polunin left re: overburdening promising young dancers.  I would take fewer performances of higher quality over seeing Muntagirov rushed into everything.

• Like 5

Yes, particularly after the criticisms that were levelled at management after Polunin left re: overburdening promising young dancers.  I would take fewer performances of higher quality over seeing Muntagirov rushed into everything.

And he may be a bit less used to juggling lots of different roles (particularly new ones) in a single season than someone who came up through the ranks at the ROH, given the much more limited rep/programming at ENB.  I haven't looked back at exactly what roles he danced each season he was there, but given how few ballets they dance in any given year it is hard to believe he had to prepare more than three or four principal roles a season.  If they "did a Polunin" on him it could push him too far and at the very least make him unnecessarily stressed and unhappy.  (I am not suggesting he couldn't cope with it, as he is extremely talented and seems to be very level headed; but why take the risk?)

And he may be a bit less used to juggling lots of different roles (particularly new ones) in a single season than someone who came up through the ranks at the ROH, given the much more limited rep/programming at ENB.  I haven't looked back at exactly what roles he danced each season he was there, but given how few ballets they dance in any given year it is hard to believe he had to prepare more than three or four principal roles a season.  If they "did a Polunin" on him it could push him too far and at the very least make him unnecessarily stressed and unhappy.  (I am not suggesting he couldn't cope with it, as he is extremely talented and seems to be very level headed; but why take the risk?)

Not to mention how bad it would be for my bank balance!

• Like 3

Whereas Muntagirov may not have danced in more that 5 ballets each year while he was with ENB, he was often guesting abroad in a different repertoire at the same time. And, from what one gathers, guests often have very little time to rehearse in productions which are new to them or to get used to dancing with 'strange' partners. 

BTW, since he joined the RB, he has already caused my bank balance to look decidedly seedy. But he's worth it!

• Like 2

One definitely wouldn't want to see him overburdened, or a repeat of the Polunin scenario. However, Muntagirov seems to be a completely different personality and in a recent interview (Dancing Times, I think?) appeared to be relishing the busier schedule and more challenging work pattern at the RB - sounded like he had become rather bored at ENB.

There do seem to be certain principals at the RB who are constantly in the limelight, though, and I, for one, would like to see Muntagirov in the odd cinema broadcast or on DVD, and exposed to more people. He deserves it.

Although you're right - my bank balance has already suffered since he joined the RB, so perhaps I should be careful what I wish for!

• Like 1

However, Muntagirov seems to be a completely different personality and in a recent interview (Dancing Times, I think?) appeared to be relishing the busier schedule and more challenging work pattern at the RB

Wasn't there one in Dance Europe? I'm glad if he's relishing the mix of works, because I did worry that he might get frustrated with a reduced number of performances compared with what he's used to.

Worth noting that Vadim's background is very different from Polunin's - he comes from a family of dancers. It seems to me that he has flourished at the RB with all the new roles he's been given: not a trace of nerves, outstanding dancing, and deeply thoughtful characterisation. In a single season he's established himself as the RB male principal I'd choose to see in anything

• Like 7

Vadim is a principal guest dancer with National Ballet of Japan this year and this may have affected his availability for certain roles. There is plenty of time for him to learn the roles which have not been offered to him in the relatively short time that he has been with the RB.

As a matter of interest, has Muntagirov performed any of the contemporary roles?  I don't mean with the RB, I mean anywhere?

I see him as such a perfect example of a classical ballet dancer, I would consider it an outrage if I saw him jerking and distorting his body in one of Mr McGregor's offerings.   Just my personal opinion, of course!

As a matter of interest, has Muntagirov performed any of the contemporary roles?  I don't mean with the RB, I mean anywhere?

I see him as such a perfect example of a classical ballet dancer, I would consider it an outrage if I saw him jerking and distorting his body in one of Mr McGregor's offerings.   Just my personal opinion, of course!

Muntagirov was wonderful with ENB in Song of a Wayfarer.  Also he said - at an LBC meeting - that it was his (then) 'favourite role'.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Song of a Wayfarer was made in 1971 and Bejart (at least from that period) was fairly neo-classical so I don't think it's really in the same category as a McGregor work.   Although Bejart's work is "pretty", in my humble opinion, it is extremely conservative and lacks the kind of invention or innovation shown by other contemporary choreographers.   I know offence is easily taken on here so this comment comes with the usual caveats that opinions vary, and McGregor is far from being the only thing on the contemporary scene (although I can see why the ROH faithful might be under that impression).  However, I think it's key to any kind of sensible discussion that we don't lump everything that isn't the Nutcracker or Swan Lake into some kind of "contemporary" basket.

• Like 1

Muntagirov also danced in Petite Mort with ENB in 2013.

His performances in Song of a Wayfarer showed a (then) new dramatic side to his artistry - which is why so many of us are itching for him to be cast in various roles in the RB repertoire.

I personally hope not to see him in MacGregor or the like.

Edited by capybara

Song of a Wayfarer was made in 1971 and Bejart (at least from that period) was fairly neo-classical so I don't think it's really in the same category as a McGregor work.   Although Bejart's work is "pretty", in my humble opinion, it is extremely conservative and lacks the kind of invention or innovation shown by other contemporary choreographers.   I know offence is easily taken on here so this comment comes with the usual caveats that opinions vary, and McGregor is far from being the only thing on the contemporary scene (although I can see why the ROH faithful might be under that impression).  However, I think it's key to any kind of sensible discussion that we don't lump everything that isn't the Nutcracker or Swan Lake into some kind of "contemporary" basket.

Also he was featured in the second cast of the inaugural run of Wheeldon's 'The Winter's Tale' for the RB.

Edited by Bruce Wall

However, I think it's key to any kind of sensible discussion that we don't lump everything that isn't the Nutcracker or Swan Lake into some kind of "contemporary" basket.

It is difficult to come up with an appropriate term for the type of choreography I had in mind.  I was thinking of works such as those produced by McGregor, where the choreographer seems determined to make the body look as ugly as possible.  I can't give any other examples of choreographers that I would also put in this category, apart from Ashley Page.  I tend to avoid anything by these people, because I simply don't like them.

Perhaps modern contemporary, as opposed to classical contemporary? 

I do agree that it is hard to draw fixed lines, Fonty.  I tend to think of it in terms of a spectrum.  Choreographers like Wheeldon or Scarlett, or even early-Forsythe, who use a "twisted" version of the traditional language of classical ballet, (e.g. on pointe and pulled-up with the odd flexed hand or foot, off-balance turn etc) are closer to the "neo-classical" end of that spectrum, and those like Schechter and McGregor who begin with the language of contemporary dance (e.g. grounded rather than pulled up, often turned-in, focus on contractions, gestures and dynamics of movement) as closer to the "contemporary" end.

Of course that is a massive over-simplification, as there are endless different foundations for contemporary dance (and Schechter and McGregor are in many ways a very unlikely pairing!)  but I just wanted to make the point that in the same way as Petipa/Macmillan/Nijinsky/Ashton/Balanchine are different, so are those choreographers who often get lumped together as "new/modern/contemporary" work.

• Like 1

I do agree that it is hard to draw fixed lines, Fonty.  I tend to think of it in terms of a spectrum.  Choreographers like Wheeldon or Scarlett, or even early-Forsythe, who use a "twisted" version of the traditional language of classical ballet, (e.g. on pointe and pulled-up with the odd flexed hand or foot, off-balance turn etc) are closer to the "neo-classical" end of that spectrum, and those like Schechter and McGregor who begin with the language of contemporary dance (e.g. grounded rather than pulled up, often turned-in, focus on contractions, gestures and dynamics of movement) as closer to the "contemporary" end.

Of course that is a massive over-simplification, as there are endless different foundations for contemporary dance (and Schechter and McGregor are in many ways a very unlikely pairing!)  but I just wanted to make the point that in the same way as Petipa/Macmillan/Nijinsky/Ashton/Balanchine are different, so are those choreographers who often get lumped together as "new/modern/contemporary" work.

I think this could be an excellent topic for a new thread, if anyone wants to start one!

Very strange I posted here about an hour or so ago and seems to not be here now.

So again ....Thankyou Bluebird for the info on the 9th the day I'm going and will be pleased to see Salenko as I have never seen her dance before.