The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, February 2015

For people unused to the current ballet physique, the extreme thinness must come as a shock.  When I started ballet going they had far more flesh on their bones.

But I don't think the current dancers are "extremely" thin!

And looking at various pictures of past ballet dancers, for instance in books about the Ballets Russes of the 1930s and 40s, suggests that the "current ballet physique" isn't very different. I certainly don't see that past dancers had "far more flesh".

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's all slate Osipova now because she's new and different. The world is such a ridiculous place.

I don't think anybody was "slating" Osipova, ENBlover. 

I think the criticism above was really directed at the relative share of this season's cinema broadcasts featuring one principal dancer, rather than 'slating' Osipova herself (who I like very much).  But I have some sympathy with the management, as a number of other current principal dancers have already been featured in broadcasts of Swan Lake and Fille.  I suppose they could have filmed another dancer for Giselle, but imho the decision to film the stunning Osipova/Acosta performance was more than justified.

I'm fine with the Giselle, it was just seeing that she was doing both the Swan Lake *and* the Fille (with one of the principals who did the last broadcast, but hey ... :)) that struck me as potentially overegging things, especially since her Odette-Odile wasn't that well received last time around.

• Like 3

it was just seeing that she was doing both the Swan Lake *and* the Fille (with one of the principals who did the last broadcast, but hey ... :))

Actually, when you come to think of it, it's hardly rare for them to repeat casting. I mean:

Nutcracker: Yoshida and McRae twice over, I think? Certainly Yoshida.

Alice: was scheduled to be the original first cast (or as much as possible) the second time around. Then turned into, I think, Lamb, Bonelli and Watson? Should have been Cuthbertson, Bonelli and Watson third time around, I think, except 2/3 were out due to injury.

And if you count the big screen live relays as well,

Mayerling: Watson cast twice over in successive runs

Think we may have had Rojo in a couple of Juliets, too ...

Well, for one describing someone as "foreign" is in and of itself an insult that is completely unrelated to one's artistic merits.  Last time I checked there are quite a few "foreign" faces within RB.  What does it have to do with anything at all?

• Like 2

Well, just to point out that only a couple of days ago, a couple of pages back on this thread, several people posted variations of "I didn't get tickets to any of her performances this run because I really didn't like them last time". Interesting to read these comments interspersed with opposite opinions (calling Osipova a "national treasure" for example).

Osipova certainly seems to provoke some people to strongly hostile comments whereas criticism of others is more nuanced and muted. Why? Maybe ENBlover has a point.

At ABT Osipova was sometimes called the 'marmite' ballerina because people were oft so heated in their diverse opinions.  Whatever else people were passionate in their responses to this dancer which certainly, I feel, is a key part of that special magic which helps to make a star.  Such entities are, by definition, rare and surely we are lucky to be in their presence WHEN they shine.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Let's all slate Osipova now because she's new and different. The world is such a ridiculous place.

Well, for one describing someone as "foreign" is in and of itself an insult that is completely unrelated to one's artistic merits.  Last time I checked there are quite a few "foreign" faces within RB.  What does it have to do with anything at all?

When I used the word "foreign", I wasn't thinking of Osipova's place of birth, I was referring to her ballet background and her training, and the length of time she has been with the company. 

I don't see how that can possibly be described as insulting.    

Edited by Fonty

Sorry, my computer crashed in the middle of my previous post  I wanted to add that I can see that a new and different interpretation can be wonderful for the classics, but when it comes to Ashton, his works are meant to be the embodiment of the "English style".

Osipova may well turn out to be terrific in the role, but she is an unknown quantity.   

• Like 2

I don't think the ROH bowed to any 'pressure' in deciding to release the DVD. As I was leaving the performance, I walked past the cameraman and heard several people ask him if there would be a DVD to which he responded 'Yes'.

I don't think the ROH bowed to any 'pressure' in deciding to release the DVD. As I was leaving the performance, I walked past the cameraman and heard several people ask him if there would be a DVD to which he responded 'Yes'.

Not entirely sure that the cameraman would know the definite position.

• Like 1

...I find myself wondering why Siegfried doesn't find it peculiar that the woman he met and fell in love with has turned into such a flamboyant show off. 

Could it be a couple of large rum and cokes? Or is that just my wife :lol: . (She doesn't read this forum, I'm safe :ph34r:).

• Like 5

Salenko looks gorgeous in that short clip above and made me want to see more.  Sadly, I won't be (unless she ends up dancing on the 2nd as well), so I look forward to some reports later on please!!

I have no problem with the ROH filming Osipova but it is starting to mean that certain male dancers are getting repeat exposure - not only Acosta but also McRae whose third live relay of Fille will be coming up soon. Also, we could start to see more recordings of Golding than some of us would really like.

I just hope that other male dancers, especially Muntagirov, are not thus denied their proper place in the limelight and that up and coming ballerinas start to get some opportunities to be more widely seen as well..

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

Come to think of it, of course the RB also DVD-d Nunez' first run of Filles - and that didn't turn out too badly :)

I think the company has to look ahead and realise there ought to be time in the future to film younger casts, especially since these cinema broadcasts seem to be here to stay, and the "big screen" broadcasts more or less here to stay (sponsors permitting).

I agree about the Acosta issue, but at least his presence has allowed a couple of Rojo's performances to be preserved for posterity, and I can't be too sorry about that.

But capybara, surely McRae has only done the one live relay of Fille so far? I didn't think it had been shown twice. And I'm sure some people will be happy to have recordings of Golding in the right work.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, of course the RB also DVD-d Nunez' first run of Filles - and that didn't turn out too badly :)

I didn't realise they filmed her during her first run of Filles.  But she had already been in the company for a number of years when that was filmed, so it is slightly different to a completely new person being filmed.

Anyway, I am sure with all the Osipova fans out there, her debut with the RB will be a triumph, and the DVD will fly off the shelves. 

Nunez and Acosta's Swan Lake

Isn't it Soares in the DVD?

Well, just to point out that only a couple of days ago, a couple of pages back on this thread, several people posted variations of "I didn't get tickets to any of her performances this run because I really didn't like them last time".

Nothing wrong with that: I've done that for many a dancer. Many people on these forums, even if London-based, aren't able, for reasons of time, money, inclination or other commitments, to see all casts, so have to pick and choose. In my case, I can't bear to see repeated performances of this production, so pick very carefully, and I've gone for people I either haven't seen before or haven't seen in the roles for a long time. I'm not saying I'll never go and see Osipova's O-O again, just not right now. 

At ABT Osipova was sometimes called the 'marmite' ballerina because people were oft so heated in their diverse opinions.  Whatever else people were passionate in their responses to this dancer which certainly, I feel, is a key part of that special magic which helps to make a star.  Such entities are, by definition, rare and surely we are lucky to be in their presence WHEN they shine.

Yes, and she's by no means the only one, of course :)

Osipova may well turn out to be terrific in the role, but she is an unknown quantity.

My thoughts too, hence my question on whether she'd danced Lise elsewhere. With Nunez, at least she'd been coached in the role prior to announcing her casting, but I'm not sure whether Osipova has even started learning the role yet.

There are a lot of fine dancers in the RB: I'd hate to see one star name being concentrated on to the extent that nobody is aware of the others. We had enough of that with Bussell and Acosta, with an often noticeable effect on attendances for other dancers' performances.

• Like 5

There are a lot of fine dancers in the RB: I'd hate to see one star name being concentrated on to the extent that nobody is aware of the others. We had enough of that with Bussell and Acosta, with an often noticeable effect on attendances for other dancers' performances.

Yes, Alison, I quite agree.  I remember going to get my own tickets from the Box Office once, and being astonished to hear someone say loudly,  "If it isn't Bussell then I don't want to go."

Of course, the upside was that I could sometimes get tickets at short notice to my preferred casts.

• Like 1

Yes, Alison, I quite agree.  I remember going to get my own tickets from the Box Office once, and being astonished to hear someone say loudly,  "If it isn't Bussell then I don't want to go."

I think I can top that - one of my colleagues was quite envious that I had several tickets to Bussell's last performances in Song of the Earth, which were of course all sold out. She had never seen her onstage and seemed desperate to, so I offered my ticket for Darcey's second last performance. Well, she declined because it wasn't actually the very last one! Talk about misplaced priorities. :P

• Like 4

I believe Osipova has danced Lise before in Ashton's masterwork with POB. It will only therefore be her RB debut in this role I think.

That's good to hear, was she reviewed well? I really am excited to see her in Fille. I don't suppose anyone knows who coaches POB when they stage it?

I think that I have mentioned this on the forum before but, years ago, when Bussell and Zolymosi were replaced by Durante and Mukhamedov in Manon, I had to use all my powers of persuasion to stop the couple sitting behind me walking out. They would not believe me that they had got a really good deal but reluctantly agreed to stay for Act 1. By the time of the first interval, they were completely entranced by Viviana and Irek and were asking whether they were dancing in anything else as they wanted to book to see them again.

• Like 2

I think Osipova may also have danced it with the Bolshoi as they (briefly) had the Ashton version before rejecting it for Grigorovich's. Whether she's danced it or not I'm intrigued to see her dancing a full length ballet with McRae.

Re people being hesitant to book to see her in Swan Lake because they didn't like her previous performances with Royal Ballet it mustn't be forgotten that these performances were over 2 years ago and were her first performances with the Royal and possibly her first performances in the role. if not her first than at least very early performances. I too saw her then and wasn't too enamoured but I wanted to see her at least in the cinema relay just to see if I enjoyed her performance more; and I did. I think she is the sort of dancer that is always wanting to improve and deepen her interpretation and so (like most dancers I suppose)her performance improves as the run progresses.

• Like 11

I think Osipova may also have danced it with the Bolshoi as they (briefly) had the Ashton version before rejecting it for Grigorovich's. Whether she's danced it or not I'm intrigued to see her dancing a full length ballet with McRae.Re people being hesitant to book to see her in Swan Lake because they didn't like her previous performances with Royal Ballet it mustn't be forgotten that these performances were over 2 years ago and were her first performances with the Royal and possibly her first performances in the role. if not her first than at least very early performances. I too saw her then and wasn't too enamoured but I wanted to see her at least in the cinema relay just to see if I enjoyed her performance more; and I did. I think she is the sort of dancer that is always wanting to improve and deepen her interpretation and so (like most dancers I suppose)her performance improves as the run progresses.

I think I remember some of the reception to Cojocaru's first performances in Swan Lake was somewhat mixed/lukewarm too ☺ (though she's not as polarising as Osipova). I enjoyed her much more in subsequent runs.

Edited by Sunrise

Salenko and McRae were beautiful this afternoon in the 999th performance of Swan Lake. Some of the corps work was much better in the cinema relay. Stand out for me was Neapolitan dance by Francesca Hayward and James Hay they were lovely together. Salenko whipped through her fouettes no problem giving more than 32 I reckon. She and Steven are great together. The swans were very good. Enjoyed it.

• Like 4

Have to say I had a magical afternoon watching the Royal Ballet in 'Swan Lake', Iana Salenko was just stunning, Steven McRae was excellent, also loved Francesca Hayward, Claire Calvet, Yasmin Naghdi, Marcelino Sambé James Hay & Alexander Campbell in their pieces.

Also the ROH orchestra played Tchaikovsky's score so romantically

I still have issues with the production but I loved the dancing & music

• Like 3

Attended the ROH matinee this afternoon and it had some delightful highlights.  I was not as struck by Ms. Salenko's performance overall as some above have reported.  That said (i) she indeed did pummel out her fouettes - no question of that; - (ii) the hair co-ordination between herself and her partner was as electrifying as it had been in Acosta's DQ and (iii) the headpieces she brought with her from (I assume) Berlin (both white and black) were fetching indeed.  The best aspect of her performance for me was the Black act adagio in which her pirouettes were ravishing to behold.  Her white act was cool if not downright cold.  At times it was imprecise and stiff as well as - surprisingly (as in the opening of the first solo variation) - somewhat turned in.  Lost too was the 'in the moment' perfume that had been recently gifted to Odette at this address by such RB principals as Nunez and Osipova.  Certainly the musicality of the port de bras that Obratsova exercised on Monday evening was lacking here.  (I must confess that I only saw the white act of that latter performance as I had to catch one of those delightful 6.20 am flights on Tuesday morning for work. Ironically my flight was to the hometown of Ms. Salenko's resident company, Berlin.)  That said I was appreciative Ms. Salenko had been able to save the RB's day on this occasion and fill a space left vacant due to a confluence of RB ballerina injury/illness.  Still - in ALL - I'm glad she is a guest and very much hope that the last two Odettes to Muntigriov's Seigfried might be framed by a member of the gloriously dedicated home team.  Such a shame that Cutherbertson is out.  Ah, well, perhaps another time.  

Steven McRae was vivid in his MORE THAN EQUAL all.  His partnering was exemplary throughout and his quiet attention to his character's detail was hugely appreciated.  How gloriously he has developed/matured during his time as a RB Principal.  I heartily applaud his attitude of distraught with the unsavory provocations of that most distasteful of characters in this RB production - that of the 'drunken tutor'.  McRae's Seigfried was quite obviously upset when that character greedily reached out for the hand of the second girl.  Immediately thereafter he went to the General in a spirit of general - (and rightful from my perspective) - alarm.  There were none of Soares' smirks at that juncture for this Seigfried.  It was touching in the extreme to note that both mother (the always dignified Genesia Rosato) and son were here knowingly disturbed over this most unfortunate - indeed shameful - of situations.  Somehow it brought them together in a fashion I had not previously been aware of in any other production of Swan Lake.  

The definite high point for me this afternoon was Ashton's Neopolitan Dance.  (I pray they do not lose this in the next RB Swan Lake production to grace the ROH stage.)  James Hay and the always entrancing Francesca Hayward were - in a word - ravishing in the detail of their joy-filled batterie.  Theirs was a precision personified with a kiss of English ingenuity by way of a shower of Italian sun.  It was in fact abundant to behold.  I only wish these two had been given an opportunity to have the musical rapture of their young love filmed for posterity during this past week.  As much as I love - and I do - Cervera and Morera in these roles - they have had such an advantage previously.  Why not share the RB wealth?  Otherwise, Naghdi delighted with the evocatively musical grace notes of her pas de trois variation; Campbell polished a wonderfully etched Benno and Bennet Gartside produced a most telling - and subtle - von Rothbart; most especially in Act III.  What a treasured company member he is. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

I really enjoyed watching the amazing Steven McRae and Iana Salenko this afternoon, they danced so well together.

The other dancers I most loved watching were Yasmine Naghdi - totally gorgeous in the Pas de Trois - together with Marcelino Sambe, another amazing young dancer.  I also liked the Neapolitan dancers Hay and Hayward.  The Corps de Ballet dancers deserve great praise, and so many performances they have danced this week!  

• Like 4

There's a picture on Twitter of the poor girls' feet! They deserve their well earned break

I can only echo praise for Mr Hay. Beautiful Neapolitan, joie de vivre bursting out!

In addition, I thought Ms Salenko gave a legitimately exquisite performance this afternoon. I can see what Dr Wall means about there being a certain coldness. This wasn't a coy Odette by any means. She really was piqued about her circumstances. Not haughty: just in need. And a very 'human' princess. Some might want Odette to more supernatural and ethereal than Salenko gave us. I think Nunez has a similar approach. Salenko's O + O well judged and were nicely nuanced here.

My favourite show of the bunch so far!

Edited by nickwellings
  • Like 2

I have seen several SL's this run and what really strikes me is that the dancers who do stand out dancing in Neapolitan, Spanish, Czardas and the Mazurka are the ones who have the RBS background.

I have seen Paul Kay and Yasmine Naghdi / James Hay and Francesca Hayward/ and Emma Maguire in "Neapolitan" and they were all a tremendous joy to watch, in "Spanish" I liked Claire Calvert the most. From a young age they learn character dances at the RBS something I think dancers who have trained abroad have not learned, and it often shows. 

• Like 4

There's a picture on Twitter of the poor girls' feet! They deserve their well earned break

I can only echo praise for Mr Hay. Beautiful Neapolitan, joie de vivre bursting out!

In addition, I thought Ms Salenko gave a legitimately exquisite performance this afternoon. I can see what Dr Wall means about there being a certain coldness. This wasn't a coy Odette by any means. She really was piqued about her circumstances. Not haughty: just in need. And a very 'human' princess. Some might want Odette to more supernatural and ethereal than Salenko gave us. I think Nunez has a similar approach. Salenko's O + O well judged and were nicely nuanced here.

My favourite show of the bunch so far!

I agree completely with what you say about Iana Salenko.  I found her performance extremely nuanced, playing Odette in Act II as a shy introvert (I was thinking what word would describe her and the word 'modest' came to mind) and Odile as a complete extrovert.  In Act III Odette came out of her shell and I was completely blown away.  Steven McRae is such a wonderful partner too - such a shame this was their only performance together

• Like 2