Elmhurst 2014 entry auditions

Karen

Audition day was great at elmhurst today, very relaxed :-) DD auditioned for year 9 entry and felt it went well. The class wasn't too big ...I would say around 20 give or take and it was a mixed group auditioning for yrs 9 & 10 although there seemed to be more going for year 10. Nothing too complicated came up according to DD and It was lovely to see the last 10 mins of the audition. Good to meet you Huddsballetmum and the other lady I was speaking too, so sorry I didn't get your name but hope you had safe journeys home and Good luck to your DD's.

• Like 4

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Audition day was great at elmhurst today, very relaxed :-) DD auditioned for year 9 entry and felt it went well. The class wasn't too big ...I would say around 20 give or take and it was a mixed group auditioning for yrs 9 & 10 although there seemed to be more going for year 10. 

Glad it went well :)

It's interesting what you say re the mixed group, as when dd auditioned in January the group contained all age groups auditioning for Years 7 to 10, and dd found this rather disconcerting. She said she wasn't really able to show what she was capable of, as the exercises were aimed at the younger end, and she didn't enjoy it at all. It put her off her stride completely, and she didn't perform anything like as well as normal.

It looks like that this time they have arranged the auditions differently, which seems much better.

That's a shame Taxi - but quite honestly, at the first audition, they're looking at physiques and musicality as much, or more than, ability.  My son auditioned for year 10 with a mixed group trying for year 7 upwards (he was already at WL) - this was a few years ago.  They gave him some space to move around the floor on his own for one of the exercises and asked if he could do double tours (which he could) - he said the "little" boys (who really were little compared to him) looked really impressed ;)

• Like 4

Audition day was great at elmhurst today, very relaxed :-) DD auditioned for year 9 entry and felt it went well. The class wasn't too big ...I would say around 20 give or take and it was a mixed group auditioning for yrs 9 & 10 although there seemed to be more going for year 10. Nothing too complicated came up according to DD and It was lovely to see the last 10 mins of the audition. Good to meet you Huddsballetmum and the other lady I was speaking too, so sorry I didn't get your name but hope you had safe journeys home and Good luck to your DD's.

Got to agree it was a great day and the staff allayed so many of my concerns about DD going to boarding school.  DD thoroughly enjoyed the audition, what lovely experience.  Hope you had a great trip home Amandalou, it was so nice to meet you and your dd.  Fingers crossed for your DD and good luck for tomorrow.

In our experience, the early auditions tend to be grouped according to year/age, whereas the later ones (Jan) do have the odd day that can be a very mixed group.  DD has experienced both of these and found the early auditons preferable.  I know the preliminary auditons are more of a look at you, your physique and musicality but when you are auditioning in the higher years I think its nice to have the opportunity to 'show them what you can do' as well.

• Like 1

In our experience, the early auditions tend to be grouped according to year/age, whereas the later ones (Jan) do have the odd day that can be a very mixed group.  DD has experienced both of these and found the early auditons preferable.  I know the preliminary auditons are more of a look at you, your physique and musicality but when you are auditioning in the higher years I think its nice to have the opportunity to 'show them what you can do' as well.

Well, her next lot of auditions will be for 6th form, so the mixed age-group thing won't happen to her again :)

Is there much of a range of ballet 'grades' in auditions for say Y9 and Y10? I realise that some students may be working at grade 3 or 4 level whilst others will be at Advanced level (and not all will necessarily take exams anyway). Although the first audition may be primarily to choose those with the desired physique and musicality with the second audition perhaps more of a chance to 'show off' what the students can do, I would have thought that any huge range in 'grades' would be obvious even at first audition? Is this more of an issue for those auditioning for Y8-10, as they would have to fit in with the current Elmhurst students in their year group?

I do realise that an immensely talented student with very little experience, even at say grade 1 or 2 level, would stand a good chance of being accepted if they have the desired physique, musicality etc - I'm just being nosy! ;-)

Is there much of a range of ballet 'grades' in auditions for say Y9 and Y10? I realise that some students may be working at grade 3 or 4 level whilst others will be at Advanced level (and not all will necessarily take exams anyway). Although the first audition may be primarily to choose those with the desired physique and musicality with the second audition perhaps more of a chance to 'show off' what the students can do, I would have thought that any huge range in 'grades' would be obvious even at first audition? Is this more of an issue for those auditioning for Y8-10, as they would have to fit in with the current Elmhurst students in their year group?

I don't really know, but auditioning everyone for years 7-10 all together meant  (at least in my dd's experience) that it was pitched at Year 7 level, or so it seemed to her on that particular day. I wonder how they can assess the potential Y10's by doing that?

By showing what she could do I really meant that she expected it to be at the level they would be looking for in her age group and which she was currently working at - which it was at the other two auditions she went to the same week - because as you say, they would need to be able to fit in with the current students.

Oh well, horses for courses, I expect there were others in her audition who much preferred it the way it was!

• Like 1

Perhaps a different thread , but regarding forthcoming Elmhurst auditions - it may be useful to know that today , around 10 .30 am and 11 am , there were no taxis in the taxi rank at Birmingham New Street Station , and a huge queue . Apparently someone ordered a mini cab ( private firm) and it took 45 mins for a 10 min journey , as the driver had no idea where he was going . I told my DS to go to the front of the taxi queue and appeal to folks better nature . This he did , and breezed into todays audition as they started the warm up . Phew . A poor girl fainted in the middle - I do hope she is ok . Anyway , that aside , best wishes to those who have yet to audition ,

• Like 1

If it helps the bus 61 and 62 go straight past Elmhurst every 10 minutes and the trip is less than 15 mins.

The buss stop is right outside new st station near Boots and TK max - not as posh as a taxi but very efficient - get off in Bristol Rd just after the traffic lights at Priory Road .

• Like 1

Well it's a no for my friends dd who I took to her audition at elmhurst last Tuesday :(

Such a shame for her. Still in her words I should " turn that frown upside down" or something like that !!

Sorry to hear that mad house. Sounds like your friend's daughter has a great attitude despite the disappointment. 

• Like 2

There is also a X service from the same stop this is a limited stop which only stops 3 times before school.

£2 single journey but £3.90 all day, this option is great if you've to go to school, then come away and then go back and then back into Birmingham.

child fare is £1 single journey. buses run every ten minutes and only takes ten minutes to school. Most drivers are helpful so if you ask for Priory Rd and ask them to tell you they'll give you then nod.

• Like 1

If you buy your train ticket in advance you can also buy a 'plus bus' ticket, the adult one is £3 so you do save. The 61 63 and X64 run very frequently so you nerve have to wait more than 5 or 6 minutes for a bus. The X64 is much less frequent, but it has very few stops so is quicker. This is a single decker bus.

Best wishes to all.

• Like 2

Perhaps a different thread , but regarding forthcoming Elmhurst auditions - it may be useful to know that today , around 10 .30 am and 11 am , there were no taxis in the taxi rank at Birmingham New Street Station , and a huge queue . Apparently someone ordered a mini cab ( private firm) and it took 45 mins for a 10 min journey , as the driver had no idea where he was going . I told my DS to go to the front of the taxi queue and appeal to folks better nature . This he did , and breezed into todays audition as they started the warm up . Phew . A poor girl fainted in the middle - I do hope she is ok . Anyway , that aside , best wishes to those who have yet to audition ,

My daughter was in this audition and was the one who fainted! She was so upset but on positive they have asked her to come back in Jan to re-audition! She had toothache and on Thursday went to dentist and had a tooth abscess so on strong painkillers and antibiotics! Poor thing as also had tap Advanced 1 tap exam yesterday and had to come out for 5 mins as almost fainted again with the pain!

My daughter was in this audition and was the one who fainted! She was so upset but on positive they have asked her to come back in Jan to re-audition! She had toothache and on Thursday went to dentist and had a tooth abscess so on strong painkillers and antibiotics! Poor thing as also had tap Advanced 1 tap exam yesterday and had to come out for 5 mins as almost fainted again with the pain!

Best of luck for her in her re-audition and hope her abscess heals quickly x

Hello Tutugirl-thankyou for your reply! I take it there were 16 in one group-do you know how many groups in one day?

And does anyone know approx how many overseas students Elmhurst take into the sixth form? I notice on their website they do an audition tour in Japan.

Thankyou very much!

Hi Bluebell we were told that they don't have a quota for nationalities,just recruit the talent as they find it. They did say that they don't fill all spaces if they don't see what they are looking for. Sorry I don't know if there was an afternoon audition - ours was in the morning. Good luck with yours x