Elmhurst 2014 entry auditions

Karen

Remember folks a no this year doesn't mean it won't be a yes next year. Schools are looking for different things. Some people have been known to get a final at WL bet a no from Elmhurst and othe schools, it's just the way it is, one moment to shine. Good luck with the rest of your auditions everyone.

• Like 5

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi MVOBE - my son was at Elmhurst on 22nd - the one that started at 9am!  We have not heard yet.  However, by my calculations of when the other letters came out for earlier auditions, it should be this Friday or Saturday!  Good Luck to your son!  It seemed to us from what they said that they had 15 boys on 22nd and that was a "big day" for boys, so I reckon they had about 40 boys max audition for Elmhurst this year.  From what I could glean from RB, however, they had over 100!  We were very impressed with Elmhurst - it seemed like a lovely school.

HI again MVOBE - yes - he auditioned for WL on Sunday.  I think we will have at least a two week wait now.  I have  feeling that they send out the results from earlier auditions first though.  I agree with what you say - it would be WONDERFUL and really enough just to get to finals.....but there are lots of boys all wanting the same I guess.....I am a bit of a fatalist really.  What will come will come etc.  I sometimes joke, though, that getting to one of the vocational schools is like winning the lottery AND YOU THEN PAY FOR YOUR PRIZE!   Even with a MDS, it would be hard for us...

• Like 3

Hi again MVOBE - the MDS is paid on a sliding scale and depends on your salary so in theory it is affordable.  However, some things make it less affordable or more affordable depending on your circumstances.  They don't take account of how big your mortgage is for example.  That means, with MDS you pay the same if you earn, say, £40,000 with no mortgage or £40,000 with a big mortgage.  We have lots of other children - The MDS gives an allowance of  £2,000 or so off salaries for them, but the reality is that they cost more than that each year of course!  Hence my lottery joke!

Yes, it is really important to do your sums! I have memories of being offered a place then realising it was going to be such a huge financial strain on the family that we initially turned it down. Now that was really tough on my son! You can contact the school to find out just how much you will be paying. Try not to stick your head in the sand like we did!! Wishing you all good luck for your letters and really sorry to hear about the no's. It is tough. We have had to deal with that too, but things move on and another path becomes clear....x

• Like 3

Belljul ... Similar thing happened to us a few years ago ... Thought we had all the sums worked out so accepted a place, then when all the mds paperwork came through in June and we discovered just what is taken into account as "income" we realised it was going to be beyond us. I will never forget just how devastated dd was when we had to sit her down in early July and tell her that she would not be able to go in the September.

• Like 1

I won't mention the specific school, but she auditioned again two years later and was offered a place. This time we were able to accept so she joined in year 9 and has never looked back. Again, I will never forget her reaction when she got offered the place and we assured her she could go! We are now in the thick of upper school auditions.

• Like 7

Hi suzyszoo my ds auditioned for WL on 9th Jan and we are still waiting results. WL would be his dream but we did like Elmhurst. I thought it was very chilled out. We would need funding also. If you get MDS, does that only cover a certain amount of the cost? Will have to read reply later as we are off to dance now.

Its worth doing a 'search' of the forum to find related discussions on MDS - there has been a lot of detailed information given previously which may be of help to you.  Although the scale is the same across all schools, there are additional things covered at some schools which make it more beneficial.

Did I read on another thread that someone has been told that the results for Elmhurst on 22nd are coming by email tomorrow or Friday (or maybe it's that they are coming by MAIL tomorrow or Friday).  I am not going to get much work done tomorrow stalking the threads.  I am out all day and not back home till late - torture!

• Like 1

After the upset of the dreaded WL letter today I decided to phone Elmhurst to clarify email/letter and when. The letters are being posted either tomorrow or Friday.

I can now say with all honesty that had I known the pressure my ds would be under I would never have started on this path in 2012 with the JA's. It has actually made me feel ill and terribly guilty. My ds now tells me that he never had a hope for WL because he just isn't good enough. Not a nice thing to hear from a ten year old. He is now set on continuing this path and if fear more tears are to come.

Has anyone else felt like this?

If we sat down and calculated the odds of a successful career in ballet for a child at age 8 , we would probably never get started on the roller coaster . That not why we do it though is it ....?! Usually we find ourselves on it by chance.

Nothing I could ever do or say will take away the passion , the inbuilt need to dance , that drive to succeed and put every last breath and ounce of energy into a performance .

The devastation only lasts for a night or two and then the next challenge on the horizon is the focus - there are so many possible paths in the training process - (- at least being a boy they are a slightly rarer commodity , I imagine the heartache is even worse for parents of DD's )

I honestly believe that if a child is that passionate about dancing very little with be able to stop them from enjoying whatever opportunities come their way . It's a hard life and in Dance the realities of competition for places , position , parts and jobs comes very early indeed .

I have found that my DS is much tougher that I though - his favourite song , and dance is from " I am Titanium "!

Try to get some sleep and enjoy having him with you at home while you still can ! Things will feel less overwhelming soon

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 7

Myveryownbillyelliot, please don't worry at this stage. It sounds as if your son has only been dancing for a short while, and although RBS say they are not looking for dance experience, but potential, I personally feel that the competition is so fierce that they DO look at those who are further on in their training. I say this because my eldest son was offered finals for year 7 and was not a JA and far behind most of the other boys. He was not offered a place. However he was taken on by Elmhurst, reauditioned for White Lodge in year 9 and was offered a year 10 place. So in my mind, he did have the potential but for some reason RBS were not prepared to take a chance on him at that early stage. They seem to like him now! Its a strange journey but keep going. Get as much feedback as you can. It could be something as "small" as his feet not good enough at this stage. or his upper body too "wooden" or his turnout not loose enough etc, and then you have things to work on, and he sounds like a hard worker. If it is his proportions then there is not much you can do but wait until he grows and see how he looks at 16....anyway I have said enough. Just feel for you x

• Like 9

Thank you for all your kind comments. It is much more upsetting than I thought it would be. None of us like our dc's to be hurt or rejected do we? I think getting into ja's after only taking up ballet months previous possibly made it a little too easy the first time around. I wasn't even expecting a place for him but I so wanted him together to finals for his self esteem, nothing else.

Ah well, it can't be changed can it? I am a little reluctant to speak to his JA teacher about why he wasn't successful this time as it does say on the letter that no discussion will be entered into as to why a place was not offered.

• Like 1