Elmhurst 2014 entry auditions

Karen

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Autumn days

Would those of you who have already done the Elmhurst 6th form audition be kind enough to answer a question for me?

For some reason, my dd really wants to know what sort of flexibility assessments to expect in the auditions so it would be great to know what they were asked to do! I have no idea why this is her main concern, but you know what they are like! If you know about Central too, that would be great!

Hi mum in a spin. Dd done both .....

They were asked for a plié to the front - holding the stretch whilst filming individually.

Arabesque (held) both sides

Tendus both sides

Right, Left and box splits

Sat on floor, legs parallel, bend head over shins - I'm doing it while I type (!)

Lie on back (arms in second) feet drawn up in frog.

Lie on front arms under shoulders and push up extending arms fully, keeping hips on floor, tipping back to look at ceiling. The touch toes on head.

At central - as above mainly plus

box splits and "best leg splits" extend forwards over legs

Sit up as if crossing legs but not crossed. Bring feet into body.

At central they checked their spine by kneeling on floor back straight then roll head and spine forward to floor then back up slowly.

She thinks that was all .....

• Like 2

So Elmhurst is now complete just waiting on the results which should be 7 - 10 days - lovely to see Angel.  DD found this audition very tough not so much what she was asked to do but the level of girls attending.  I suspect this one will have to go down as good experience - at least she was stretching like there was no tomorrow when she got home!

As I am not a teacher and one thing I find hard to comprehend is how they tell the girls who have potential and those who are already on their game.  There were a large group of lovely girls from abroad attending DD's audition who were studying RAD Grade 6 - 8 and were doing fantastic quadruple pirouettes (and were like rubber band flexible) before they even went in.  DD couldn't take her eyes off of them.  DD has only just done one lesson of grade 5 RAD and can just about do 1 1/2 turns.  (BTW their teacher was saying to all the girls before they went in - 'don't forget to crack your hips!'  Is this some sort of teacher's term for max. stretching of hip turn out?

Her confidence took a huge bashing and when she came out she said she felt like she was either going to be sick or pass out.  I told her just always remember to smile but she that is very difficult when you feel very intimidated :(

The Hammond is next and DD loved the Open Day so fingers crossed for this one.  :)

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that pas de chat though i dont think she should be put off. My dd and i have often wondered the same thing about potential vs training as presumably those who are doing the fancy stuff have potential as well as training... But not always I guess.

Hmm

As a parent I remember sitting in despair watching other children stretching, splitting, spinning as a warm up.  Means nothing!  Particularly if your DC is still at KS3 entry level.

Eventually I learnt to trust my son to do his own thing in his own way, and to accept that a lot of it is bravado and mind games.

Am more envious of having a travelling teacher - my son's teacher never turned up to a festival, let alone an audition, or performance at vocational school.

chin up!

meadowblythe

• Like 2

Lots of kids can do multiple turns and tricks and are flexible, that does not mean they are suited to classical ballet training.Ballet pirouettes are in a different league.I  believe that  you dont need to be able to do quadruple at such a young age.My dd can do multiple turns but only a double ballet pirouette.Did they have to do pirouettes in the audition?

good luck with the next audition pas de chat xxx

• Like 1

Hi Pas de chat, your DD did really well from what I saw and she is an absolutely delightful girl! So lovely to see her making friends with the girls from Hong Kong.   I didn't think they were doing any more stretching than anyone else but I suppose a large group of dancers from overseas is always a bit intimidating. I'm not ballet trained but I thought the British girls held their own very well :)

So Elmhurst is now complete just waiting on the results which should be 7 - 10 days - lovely to see Angel.  DD found this audition very tough not so much what she was asked to do but the level of girls attending.  I suspect this one will have to go down as good experience - at least she was stretching like there was no tomorrow when she got home!

As I am not a teacher and one thing I find hard to comprehend is how they tell the girls who have potential and those who are already on their game.  There were a large group of lovely girls from abroad attending DD's audition who were studying RAD Grade 6 - 8 and were doing fantastic quadruple pirouettes (and were like rubber band flexible) before they even went in.  DD couldn't take her eyes off of them.  DD has only just done one lesson of grade 5 RAD and can just about do 1 1/2 turns.  (BTW their teacher was saying to all the girls before they went in - 'don't forget to crack your hips!'  Is this some sort of teacher's term for max. stretching of hip turn out?

Her confidence took a huge bashing and when she came out she said she felt like she was either going to be sick or pass out.  I told her just always remember to smile but she that is very difficult when you feel very intimidated :(

The Hammond is next and DD loved the Open Day so fingers crossed for this one.  :)

• Like 3

Hi pas de chat, my dc was in the audition with the HK girls as well. I didn't see them warming up and interestingly they did not stand out to me during the bit we watched. (Apart from the diddy one who you couldn't help noticing!) I was only aware of their existence after when my dc told me of their astounding feats!!

I say to my dc that all you can do is control what you can control. In the absence of any knowledge about these girls background I just have to admire their tricks and hope they didn't have something that my dc has!!!

This sort of thing can be very disconcerting I agree - I guess it is one of the many things our dc have to learn to deal with if they want to progress in this dancing world....

• Like 1

The girls from HK were very lovely and afterwards DD was wishing them good luck for their RBS auditions later on that week.  DD is so good at chatting to other girls  :)

After speaking with DD on the train she said it made her so so nervous when she saw the HK girls warming up as they were spinning around like spinning tops and doing over splits.   I think at their age these things are impressive to DD and the nerves just kicked in too much.  DD certainly has her own qualities and I agree with Angel that the HK girls did not particularly stand out in the exercise we watched although the little one was very good.  DD did say they were very good in the audition although for me Angel your DD is lovely and so was number 18.  Sarahw I'm not sure who your DC was?

We had a tour of the building and deputy head was very nice although for me the building was deathly quiet.  Tring on the other hand was super buzzing!

Interestingly I asked the deputy head why they did not have the same numbers each year and it was do with them not finding the right candidates.  They are apparently short in year 8 not sure if this ties in with what has been said about placements in the past posts?

Pose ton leve- let me try again. First they hop on keg 1 then move forward into a hopping arabesque on leg 2 then move forward into a hop on leg 1 again. Etc. Clear as mud?

to be honest I usually lurk on here. Find all the chat reassuring- I just wanted to reassure u pas de chat that others also noticed them! My daughter was in a pale pink camisole leo. Not sure of her number. Was 18 the tall-ish girl in royal blue? She was beautiful. ...

• Like 1

Ah no that was angels daughter she is stunning.  DD was number 10 who was behind angels daughter in a similar colour leotard.  She is very small compared to angel's daughter, quite slim but muscular looking.  Number 18 was in a dusky pink leotard and had a lovely floaty style and great posture.  I noticed the more experienced girls on the hop all looked towards the panel and then on the step followed their arms.  DD had great height but didn't engage with the panel.  Apparently my fault as I was watching her!  Was your daughter quite petite?

• Like 1

Just wanted to wish pas de chat's DD all the best for audition at Hammond on Monday.  My DD will be looking out for her to say hi.  The Hammond audition was her favourite last year.  She came out so full of excitement for the place!

• Like 1

I've just remembered something that was soooo sweet when dd went for her audition for year 9 at her current vocational school ... As she checked in at reception and gave her name, the lady on reception handed her half a dozen or so good luck cards/notes from some of the girls already there. She was so touched and went into the audition buzzing ... How time flies ... We are now in the throws of upper school auditions and they are coming thick and fast. Good luck to everyone currently going for lower school auditions.

• Like 3

Is anyone still waiting to hear about an audition date for elmhurst? I know of one beautiful Girl who sent her application early December who has been put on the waiting list and has heard nothing more after the 'last' audition.