Elmhurst 2014 entry auditions

Karen

A word of caution here, last year having had a yes letter for final audition we waited and waited for details to arrive. Nothing came and by the time I hit the panick button it was school holidays so I didn't get through when phoning. To cut a long story short they had emailed and despite having already had emails from them, this one had gone in the junk folder! I would absolutely second the advice for her to phone, they are very helpful.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son is auditioning tomorrow and I am excited for him and also feeling a bit sick at the thought!  Can any of you kind people answer these questions for me please?

1. Roughly how many audition in each group?

2.  Will it be a boy only group?

3.  Will it be a year 7 only group?

How long will I have to wait for an answer as to whether he has got to finals?!

Hi Suzyszoo

We have been twice to Elmhurst

Both times groups were 15-20.

For y7 it was boys in a mixed group, assume older boys may be same.

Letters 1-2 weeks last year. Went a week ago and still waiting for letter. ..

The people at Elmhurst are lovely so enjoy it and good luck!

Yes Suzyzoo as sarahw said

for us it was mixed boys and girls ,

at least 20 (as it was the last sheduled audition )

All year 7

Mixed experience - some had hardly started ballet classes others were clearly advanced and some JAS known to us .

Very simple class

Very friendly

We were shown around while the audition class took place .

We were invited in at the end to see what they had been doing and they were all given a clap and thanked for coming

We were told 10-14 days it was 12

The most stressful part was getting there on time and watching some of the "competitive warm up antics "

Nothing to be stressed about , not that you can help feeling stressed !

All the very best to everyone

And tell him to warm up properly, ignore competitive stretching (which shows lack of knowledge of how to prepare for class properly anyway) and remember that the time to show off is in the audition itself!

Its the panel that needs to be impressed, not fellow candidates!

Enjoy and good luck..that goes for everyone reading this who is auditioning for any dance course!

• Like 7

Elmhurst have said they are not auditioning for years 9 and 10 at this audition (which is one of the years my friend's DC is going for).  She is completely left hanging….

Hi Angel

We are on a waiting list and I was told this information this morning too.  Disappointing to say the least as this was never stated when we applied back at the beginning of December.

How horrible for you and your DCs, SwayBackSapphire and Angel's friend. Perhaps Elmhurst are confident that they have found their new Y9 and Y10 students already, even before finals, so don't want to raise the hopes of other potential students? It does seem odd though- perhaps the next world superstar is amongst those applicants for Y9 and Y10 who have been told that they can't audition?

• Like 1

Assessments to go yet though. Although (having been on the rough end of that) I'd prefer a system where they assess first and decide if they think someone should leave before auditioning for new students ;-)

• Like 2

Hammond assessments in November don't give much time for progress though do they?

I can understand for year 9 as Elmhurst don't assess out until that year but year 10 is the one DC's have more chance of getting in as appraisals often mean a degree of movement (and heartbreak)

How horrible for you and your DCs, SwayBackSapphire and Angel's friend. Perhaps Elmhurst are confident that they have found their new Y9 and Y10 students already, even before finals, so don't want to raise the hopes of other potential students? It does seem odd though- perhaps the next world superstar is amongst those applicants for Y9 and Y10 who have been told that they can't audition?

So what happens to those assessed out of W/L who won't know until Feb half term?

Does seem very short sighted of the schools to not see all who have sent in application forms.

Well done all the "yes" 's and commiserations to those with a "no" - we are expecting a "no" for upper school any day now so I do know how it feels...

Can I just say that DD only tried for WL for y7 and made it to finals... she didn't get a place, HOWEVER, had she have got a place she would have missed out on some wonderful experiences in ballet and would also not have some of the wonderful ballet friends she has made since....

I do believe that everything happens for a reason - but do remind me of this should she get absolutely no finals!!! ;)

F xxx

• Like 8

Sadly it is a no for DD. :(  She doesn't know yet so plenty of cuddles tonight to boost her confidence for Sunday at Covent Garden.  Just one thought has anyone been rejected from Elmhurst to then get into WL?  I could do with some ammo for tonight's morale boost!!

Aw - sorry to hear that PdC.  

As you know, my DD got no for Elmhurst in the first auditions, but has since had offers for Tring and The Hammond so tell her to keep the faith! 

Good luck for Sunday - will keep fingers and "pointed" toes crossed for her xx

• Like 1

Sadly it is a no for DD. :(  She doesn't know yet so plenty of cuddles tonight to boost her confidence for Sunday at Covent Garden.  Just one thought has anyone been rejected from Elmhurst to then get into WL?  I could do with some ammo for tonight's morale boost!!

It has happened (hugs for your DD)  I'm sure Hammond will love her  :)

Edited by angel
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear. . . My dd got a no for Elmhurst and Hammond. . . . . We are waiting to hear re tring and just had royal today . . . The main thing is she has thoroughly enjoyed her experiences and has moved on quite quickly from the rejections as she calls them. . . Good luck for Sunday!

Ax

• Like 4