On 14/02/2024 at 15:55, Sim said:

My birthday too....sadly numerous decades earlier!!  😄

Being born in 2023/24 - the post Covid/recession/war filled/climate change stricken years - doesn't seem a bundle of laughs though. No offence meant, I just wish I could see more of older people appreciating their long lives and experiences more instead of bemoaning old age (which is a privilege to achieve, particularly in a world like this one. I'll be grateful if I get to see 30, not sad about it).

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Being born in 2023/24 - the post Covid/recession/war filled/climate change stricken years - doesn't seem a bundle of laughs though. No offence meant, I just wish I could see more of older people appreciating their long lives and experiences more instead of bemoaning old age (which is a privilege to achieve, particularly in a world like this one. I'll be grateful if I get to see 30, not sad about it).

I think when you’re still under 30 you can’t have a clue what it’s like to watch your health and looks deteriorate and the world you live in rapidly declining in many ways.  It was an innocuous comment about being older than a baby, I don’t think it’s fair to turn it into some kind of comment on who has had it best.  

It’s not a crime to not enjoy the ageing process and perhaps when it hits you you’ll understand - and I don’t mean that rudely, it’s just that I’m somewhat further along this process than you and until it happens you can’t comprehend it.  Ageing can be incredibly depressing, especially if your health deteriorates and you are living in pain - it’s not actually a privilege for many people and can be a long, tedious struggle towards the inevitable.  Older people are still living in this world and not unaffected by world events.  We’re all different and all have different experiences so it’s a bit simplistic to tell old people to not bemoan old age.

Anyway, I’ve taken it further off topic, so back to the ballet....

• Like 15

As with every age/decade there are swings and roundabouts! 
I enjoy a great deal about being older …having more confidence generally acceptance of limitations and  not worrying so much what others think and do try to make the most of what I can do still!
But most people who make the three scores and ten decade have some degree of health problems even if minor ones ( like thin bones my personal bugbear!) so not all a bed of roses and joy! (though having a passion like ballet certainly helps)

just as the 20’s aren’t …trying to establish yourself in the World…not easy. 

Back to summer casting I do hope the Ashton casts are out soon and hope some tickets left by public booking. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I think its generally true to say that if you haven't had to battle illness, loss or hard times over the years, you don't begin to feel grateful for attaining a certain age until you hit 60, if not later, That's the time you begin to look back and wish that you had done some things differently, spent more time with those who are no longer there, and that you hadn't taken people, opportunities, youth or good fortune for granted. My grandmother used to say that the only thing worse than getting old is not getting old. This is true, but it also draws the spotlight on the unavoidable fact that as we get older we accumulate regrets as well as blessings.

• Like 4

Having renewed my Friends subscription I took the opportunity to ask if Ashton casting would be published before booking opens - 20 February for me but I imagine already open for Patrons. I was told Ashton casting is still changing and that casting will be published as soon as possible. The reply continued: ‘We do not wish Patrons to book for a certain cast which will then not reflect who dances in that performance.’ I don’t know if that means it’s better not to publish anything in case it’s wrong but I think I’d prefer to see something even if it ends up not being 100% correct. Surely we accept that casting information is based on best available information and casting can change?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Having renewed my Friends subscription I took the opportunity to ask if Ashton casting would be published before booking opens - 20 February for me but I imagine already open for Patrons. I was told Ashton casting is still changing and that casting will be published as soon as possible. The reply continued: ‘We do not wish Patrons to book for a certain cast which will then not reflect who dances in that performance.’ I don’t know if that means it’s better not to publish anything in case it’s wrong but I think I’d prefer to see something even if it ends up not being 100% correct. Surely we accept that casting information is based on best available information and casting can change?

So they seem to be saying that the options are a) booking blind (and risking getting duplicate or less preferred casts) or b) not booking at all until the casting has been published. Neither satisfactory, from anyone's point of view. The booking dates are published very far in advance (by the ROH, not some unknown third party), so the company does know by what date at least the most significant casting needs to be decided. This requirement should be built into rehearsal and scheduling plans. (And yes, I know it's easy for me to say, and I know running a big ballet company is very complicated. But it still needs to be said. Unless the idea is that casting doesn't matter, which of course no-one really believes.) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I guess it does depend just how much it is changing.

15 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Unless the idea is that casting doesn't matter, which of course no-one really believes.) 

no, I am one of the no-ones on that, and casting important if you want to catch your favourites - or avoid ones you're not so keen on (or as already said, to catch differing casts; offering unnamed cast 'a' and cast 'b' would at least help with this latter option). They obviously must know the fans don't just go to see ONE cast by now!!

• Like 2

If i still lived in London I'd see all sorts. But when getting to performances means cars and trains and tubes and buses and late nights - and there are different casts, I'll pick the one that makes me twinkle! (which was a favourite magazine of mine in about 1965 before I moved up to Princess Diana which was full of ballet!)

• Like 5

So basically the only surefire way to get what you want to see is to book every date and let go of the tickets you no longer need  at least 24 hours beforehand once casting is announced. (£4 charge per ticket unless you swap with friends/Forum members).  Well, that's one way for ROH/RB to raise revenue......

10 minutes ago, PeterS said:

We forget how blessed we are to have early casting announcements from the RB compared to most other ballet companies. Yes it’s frustrating sometimes but the odd delayed announcement every now and then isn’t the end of the world surely. 

But there are a surprising number of would-be attendees who need to make early requests for leave and make bookings for transport and accommodation if they are to secure affordable rates. 

Since this can make the difference between being able to go to the ballet or not, early casting information is pivotal.

And the summer Ashton programmes are of huge interest and significance to many people, not just those who speak up on this Forum.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

I was told Ashton casting is still changing and that casting will be published as soon as possible. The reply continued: ‘We do not wish Patrons to book for a certain cast which will then not reflect who dances in that performance.’

I wonder if that means that they have selected the casts but have not finalised which casts are dancing on which dates or that they are still potentially changing the actual dancers cast? It feels like the former possibility would hopefully be resolved & casting published earlier than if it's the latter option.

53 minutes ago, capybara said:

And the summer Ashton programmes are of huge interest and significance to many people, not just those who speak up on this Forum.

Especially as, unlike all the other major works this season, the Ashton triple bill isn't being cinecast so people don't have the option of seeing a local screening but have to go to the ROH if they want to see it. (One of my mother's friends who has been seeing the cinema screenings for over a decade but has never been to the ROH in person is thinking of making her first visit for the Ashton triple bill.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

But there are a surprising number of would-be attendees who need to make early requests for leave and make bookings for transport and accommodation if they are to secure affordable rates. 

Since this can make the difference between being able to go to the ballet or not, early casting information is pivotal.

Yes - this. I am very much in this position. I work full time so need to book the relevant leave before my work calendar starts to fill up with things I then won’t be able to juggle. Plus, I come up from Plymouth so travel and affordable accommodation are necessary. And if I am spending that amount of money to come up, I want to see casts with my favourite dancers! If I lived in or near London it would be different and I would be happy to see multiple casts - but I don’t have that luxury.

Obviously casts change due to injury/illness and that’s one of the risks one takes in my situation - but that, at least, is a known and acceptable risk.

Not having any inkling of what dates to go for is quite different and means I can’t make any booking decisions until I know - by which time a) I might not be able to book the leave I need; or b) all the seats I book for preference might have gone.

• Like 10

...and I will remind everyone that AusBallet is not good for advance casting info - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland opens in Sydney on February 20 and the casting went up on February 15 2024.

Booking for this production opened in October 2023. 

I don't have a choice - given that seeing the company involves travel by train or car to Melbourne (3 1⁄2-4 hours each way) plus a hotel if not squeezing in a matinée and returning the same day, or travel by plane (1 1⁄2 hours EW), train (8 hours EW) or car (6 1⁄2 hours EW) to Sydney plus a hotel twice the cost of one in Melbourne - I just book as early as possible to get lower cost preferred seats. Casting is a lucky dip and always has been. I can't just decide "Oh I want to go to the ballet tonight" and hop on a tram or suburban train.

• Like 5

From the Stage Door I hear Ashton casting remains work in progress. I assume patrons who are already booking are having to do so blind and that may be the position next week when Friends booking begins. At least the Ashton programme lends itself to seeing double shows (including the General Rehearsals) and sometimes on successive days. But I recognise that doesn’t help if people are wanting to see particular dancers and can only make one performance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

From the Stage Door I hear Ashton casting remains work in progress. I assume patrons who are already booking are having to do so blind and that may be the position next week when Friends booking begins. At least the Ashton programme lends itself to seeing double shows (including the General Rehearsals) and sometimes on successive days. But I recognise that doesn’t help if people are wanting to see particular dancers and can only make one performance.

I just wish they'd flippin' well get on with it and cast it! I mean, surely it can't be that difficult? Unless I'm missing something obvious? I have booked before casting is announced and usually have to then book to the my preferred cast. I suppose that at least increases sales as I rarely return tickets.  

• Like 1

I suspect casting Ashton may be more difficult than virtually anything else.  After all, if you're looking to cast the most Ashtonian dancers, I suppose you have to prioritise what they're dancing - do you put them in ballet A, or ballet B - or, if both, can they do both in one performance, or do they need to be split between two different performances?  (You surely can't do both The Dream and Rhapsody, although the casting in recent years has overlapped.)  Then there are a number of dancers out or doubtful for one reason or another - McRae and Takada, who were first cast in The Dream last time, being a case in point - who may or may not be back in time.  And if, as we assume, you're going to put Bracewell and Hayward in Hamlet and Ophelia, that must limit options for casting them elsewhere.  And then there's Les Rendezvous to cast ...  What more-junior dancers do you cast?  I think it's going to be quite a juggling act.

• Like 3

Everyone who enquires gets the same sort of reply as @JohnS, which was also carried in a letter to  Patrons announcing that ticket allocations for all productions in the Summer Period would be from the 14th Feb. (presumably to keep the remainder of the booking schedule on track date - wise.)

Patrons were therefore being urged to ‘book blind’ for the Ashton programmes, although they are able to return or swap without financial penalty.

I would have thought that, by now, it might have been prudent for the RB to say something about the factors involved in the delay - the rights owners? the stagers? the ‘trying out’ of new casts? the kind of juggling between the programmed ballets to which @alison refers? allowing sufficient preparation time for those involved in the preceding productions? injuries which might have healed sufficiently several months ahead?  the parallel involvement of Sarasota?

A little openness would go a long way ….

• Like 5

I appreciate it’s hugely complicated. But it’s not as though they haven’t known it’s coming for months on end….. and knowing the complications, it might have been prudent to be thinking about casting a lot earlier than might usually be the case. Yes, there are always going to be a number of unknowns such as injuries - but I don’t see why they couldn’t have had a basic plan in mind much earlier.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alison said:

And if, as we assume, you're going to put Bracewell and Hayward in Hamlet and Ophelia, that must limit options for casting them elsewhere.  And then there's Les Rendezvous to cast ...  What more-junior dancers do you cast?  I think it's going to be quite a juggling act.

Does Les Rendezvous have significantly-sized lead roles or is it more of an ensemble piece? When I looked it up on the ROH database there was a very long cast list so I'm guessing maybe it's more of an ensemble piece? If so then maybe it'd be sufficient for booking if the RB could just announce the leading pair for both Rhapsody & The Dream, especially given they are the two pieces appearing in both programmes so will cause more problems with people trying not to duplicate casts.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Sophoife said:

...and I will remind everyone that AusBallet is not good for advance casting info - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland opens in Sydney on February 20 and the casting went up on February 15 2024.

Booking for this production opened in October 2023. 

I don't have a choice - given that seeing the company involves travel by train or car to Melbourne (3 1⁄2-4 hours each way) plus a hotel if not squeezing in a matinée and returning the same day, or travel by plane (1 1⁄2 hours EW), train (8 hours EW) or car (6 1⁄2 hours EW) to Sydney plus a hotel twice the cost of one in Melbourne - I just book as early as possible to get lower cost preferred seats. Casting is a lucky dip and always has been. I can't just decide "Oh I want to go to the ballet tonight" and hop on a tram or suburban train.

@Sophoife you are a trooper! I too am in awe of our lovely UK friends, who can even contemplate booking a particular cast! Oh well, as it is now Lent, I can comfort myself that being an Australian Ballet fan provides ample opportunity for physical and spiritual mortification, and to become completely detached from worldly desires and preferences for my favourite dancers!

• Like 5

On 16/02/2024 at 19:58, Dawnstar said:

I wonder if that means that they have selected the casts but have not finalised which casts are dancing on which dates or that they are still potentially changing the actual dancers cast? It feels like the former possibility would hopefully be resolved & casting published earlier than if it's the latter option.

My understanding is that the dancers don’t even know yet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1