3 minutes ago, capybara said:

However, it is all the more galling given that the pdf was clearly signed off by KOH on the 26th March.

Well spotted.  It would seem like an admin error then … not getting the email out in timely fashion. 

• Like 2

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Lesley said:

Looks like Vadim and Fumi are no longer appearing at the World Ballet Stars gala in Geneva on June 10th unless they can time travel. They are still being advertised as appearing.

Yes, I was wondering as well. But the cast is subject to change, in both events maybe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, capybara said:

The timing is, of course, not untypical of the ROH.

However, it is all the more galling given that the pdf was clearly signed off by KOH on the 26th March.

Oh, that is annoying. I can't help wondering cynically if someone saw an opportunity for getting a little extra income for the ROH with all the £4 exchange fees! Also, has everyone else received a casting email with the pdf or is it only Friends? I would have expected it to be sent to all ticket holders for either of the triple bills but I've not received it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

Thanks so much for the casting @Jamesrhblack.  I was holding off booking until casting had been announced after having to swap my Macmillan tickets, so I’m really pleased it’s not been a long wait.   Now I just have to decide which casts to see - it’s so hard to get dates and preferred partnerships to align.  

Sorry where is everyone seeing casting?   Can someone kindly show me?  Thank you

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh, that is annoying. I can't help wondering cynically if someone saw an opportunity for getting a little extra income for the ROH with all the £4 exchange fees! 

I suspect the £4 is a fair reflection of the cost of (manually) processing refund requests so I'd be very surprised if this were the case.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

In case it helps anyone else, the casting turned into spreadsheet form. (Sorry it's showing up a bit small, if you click on the image it comes up larger.)

Ashton-Triple-Bills.png

I'm not sure how much it's helping me! It feels as though it's going to be impossible to see half the dancers I want to see - which admittedly is most of them - not helped by the clashes with Sarasota at the start of the run & me not having any trains on 8th or 15th June.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I suspect the £4 is a fair reflection of the cost of (manually) processing refund requests so I'd be very surprised if this were the case.

I agree it probably was when they were manually processing refunds but now the process appears to be automated, given one just clicks a button on the website to return a ticket, so presumably uses a lot less staff resource.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm not sure how much it's helping me! It feels as though it's going to be impossible to see half the dancers I want to see - which admittedly is most of them - not helped by the clashes with Sarasota at the start of the run & me not having any trains on 8th or 15th June.

Aargh, I've just realised that I'm not going to be able to see Nunez & Clarke in Les Rendesvous because I'm already booked for Sarasota on 6th June & no trains on 15th June. I prefer not to go down to London 2 days in a row but it looks like I'm going to have to on 2 or 3 occasions to have any hope of seeing various casts. This is a nightmare: every single performance has a different combination of casts. I'm starting to think the ROH should offer camping out packages for the duration of June!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Reece and Marianela are doing both matinee and soiree on June 15th?

Yes, I noticed that and very annoying it is as at the moment I'm not scheduled to see Vadim in Les Rendezvous as he's not doing it in any of the obvious dates like that weekend, and just hope I see him in the rehearsal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I do wonder why they have to announce it the day after public booking opens. I also was not expecting so many casts so it's going to be awfully complicated. I'm trying to get my head around all the casting combinations & failing. I think I'm going to have to turn it into a spreadsheet....

I think I’m going to have to blow my entire birthday budget on seeing as many cast combinations as I can fit in. 

1 hour ago, capybara said:

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

Well spotted.  It would seem like an admin error then … not getting the email out in timely fashion. 

Why am I not surprised?

• Like 2

After rather a lot of working out (I don't think my brain's worked this hard in ages!) I've found that I can manage to see every cast of Dream, Rhapsody, Rendezvous and Hamlet & Ophelia over 4 performances if a) I accept that I won't be able to see Magri in Five Brahms Waltzes & b) I brave the rail replacement buses. As I gather the Five Brahms Waltzes has a running time of under 10 minutes & as I'd only have to suffer rail replacements buses for a matinee rather than at midnight then I think I'll have to go with those compromises. And I'll have to spend from now until June praying that there aren't too many cast changes to mess up my calculations!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FionaM said:

I’m guessing Matthew Ball is missing because he is guesting in Hong Kong in a new Swan Lake by Yuri Possokhov running 31/5 - 9/6

In the text it says half price for local students and senior citizens. I wish we had the latter reduction in London. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I do wonder why they have to announce it the day after public booking opens.

2 hours ago, capybara said:

The cover email that was sent out with the casting included the following paragraph:

'Please find attached the latest casting for Ashton Celebrated which begins in two months’ time. I do apologise that these are reaching you later than we had planned; due to a number of factors the casting has been in flux, so we did not want to give you incorrect information.

You have received this email because you are a Friend of the Royal Opera House.

Edited by San Perregrino

14 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

The cover email that was sent out with the casting included the following paragraph:

'Please find attached the latest casting for Ashton Celebrated which begins in two months’ time. I do apologise that these are reaching you later than we had planned; due to a number of factors the casting has been in flux, so we did not want to give you incorrect information.

You have received this email because you are a Friend of the Royal Opera House.

That (approximate) wording was also used in earlier emails and, I think, was accepted, albeit reluctantly, on here.

My latest post simply pointed to the date of KOH’s casting pdf preceding public booking by a day. 

Better late than never (!) but one day after public booking does feel a big gaffe. I suppose we’d have to have it at least two days before (as releasing it after 9am when booking opens is little help), I wonder if there was an internal slip?

Delighted I have Hayward/Sambe in the dream but sad to be missing Osipova/Bracewell as that would have been my second choice. Instead I get Cuthbertson and Vadim which to be fair is a pretty close third! 

Whilst I really like Nunez/Clarke so am not unhappy with this choice I am very disappointed not to see Fumi/Vadim. It’s annoying the two Saturday performances weren’t split between the two casts as I may have gone down a separate weekend for Fumi/Vadim but I can’t go down during the week again after Sarasota. 

it’s times like these I’m very jealous I don’t live in London as otherwise I would be seeing all casts! 

It does seem very complex casting…is this being filmed at all? Wonder if I can catch additional casts in the cinema? Similar to the MacMillan there’s no easy way to see each single cast once without any repeats(?). For me I wouldn’t have been able to see them all anyway and the ones I’ve got sandwiched during the week of Sarasota I’m overall quite happy with but…

It is odd Ball isn’t appearing at all, nor James Hay!! I was hoping Hay and Hayward would be cast for Rhapsody. No Takada either, and yes Campbell is very much missed here too. (Dare I say Morera as well, would have seen her in Five Brahms perhaps, I’m not familiar with the other works so I can’t place her exactly but sure she could have fit anywhere). 

I do very much hope we get something like this next season (ie lots more Ashton!)

• Like 6

I don't mean to spam the forum, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who kindly helped me find the casting, and also to say wow, Dawnstar, I'm so impressed with your spreadsheet and found it enormously helpful, so thank you for going through the trouble of representing the data in a different way and sharing it.

Now, to beat my dead horse the wig conundrum, was Hayward a blonde Titania in previous runs, does anyone recall?   Thank you again.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sim said:

I am thrilled to see that Romany Pajdak is returning, albeit for one performance only.  I do hope that this is a warm-up for gracing the stage once again next season, not a farewell.  

I was delighted to see that too.

I’m hoping for Romany bring cast as the side-story love couples in The Dream.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JNC said:

Better late than never (!) but one day after public booking does feel a big gaffe. I suppose we’d have to have it at least two days before (as releasing it after 9am when booking opens is little help), I wonder if there was an internal slip?

Delighted I have Hayward/Sambe in the dream but sad to be missing Osipova/Bracewell as that would have been my second choice. Instead I get Cuthbertson and Vadim which to be fair is a pretty close third! 

Whilst I really like Nunez/Clarke so am not unhappy with this choice I am very disappointed not to see Fumi/Vadim. It’s annoying the two Saturday performances weren’t split between the two casts as I may have gone down a separate weekend for Fumi/Vadim but I can’t go down during the week again after Sarasota. 

it’s times like these I’m very jealous I don’t live in London as otherwise I would be seeing all casts! 

It does seem very complex casting…is this being filmed at all? Wonder if I can catch additional casts in the cinema? Similar to the MacMillan there’s no easy way to see each single cast once without any repeats(?). For me I wouldn’t have been able to see them all anyway and the ones I’ve got sandwiched during the week of Sarasota I’m overall quite happy with but…

It is odd Ball isn’t appearing at all, nor James Hay!! I was hoping Hay and Hayward would be cast for Rhapsody. No Takada either, and yes Campbell is very much missed here too. (Dare I say Morera as well, would have seen her in Five Brahms perhaps, I’m not familiar with the other works so I can’t place her exactly but sure she could have fit anywhere). 

I do very much hope we get something like this next season (ie lots more Ashton!)

Ditto my disappointment about Hay not being in Rhapsody once again!! I agree re: Ball too (why not Hamlet??) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Ditto my disappointment about Hay not being in Rhapsody once again!! I agree re: Ball too (why not Hamlet??) 

Ball is guesting elsewhere - mentioned on another thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I do wonder why they have to announce it the day after public booking opens. 

A lot of £4 exchange fees to be earned- this is a factual observation and not an accusation nor speculation of intent. Will be kind to ROH staff and suggest that illness or personal emergencies could have been the cause.

But still, a number of £4 exchange fee payments being earned (including from me), and it looks like it's mainly regulars who bought tickets when Friends and General Booking opened. 

Would have liked Kaneko/Muntagirov to be in Les Rendezvous at the 15 June matinee and Nunez/Clarke to get 19 June instead, since both pairs are already dancing on Saturday evening, but I guess one can't have everything. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, myrtle said:

Now, to beat my dead horse the wig conundrum, was Hayward a blonde Titania in previous runs, does anyone recall?   Thank you again.

I am 90% certain blonde wig but didn't bring anything to photograph curtain calls that day, so can't be 100% sure. Osipova, Morera and Takada all wore the wig in previous runs too. 

(20 minutes later): Found photo by Tristram Kenton on DanceTabs of Hayward & Sambe at ROH- definitely blonde wig. 

Edited by Emeralds

Can we start a petition, please, to ditch the blonde wig. And who decreed that Titania had to be blonde anyway?

Edited to add that I have half a recollection of seeing a non-blonde Titania but can't be sure and I don't think it was Hayward. Takada perhaps?

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, JNC said:

Better late than never (!) but one day after public booking does feel a big gaffe.

Well, there are still loads of tickets left - so it is really only us hard core fans who love Ashton (as can be seen by the tickets that have been sold - 'fans' tickets!) that go for these triple bills, sadly.

I think the wig is for the ringlets and to reflect the original Titania's hair colouring. Of course, they could do the ringlets in different hair colours- would have to get permission  from the rights holder, Anthony Dowell.

Edited by Emeralds

10 hours ago, myrtle said:

She wore her natural colour at the Vail Festival back in 2018 - unless that was just during the dress rehearsal that is!