• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My choice of date for the MacMillan triple was fixed long ago; I could only see one performance so casting was effectively immaterial, though of interest. I'm able to see more Ashton performances and am so more "invested" in the casting; it is frustrating not to know at least how many casts are being proposed for each work.

Despite that I think we should acknowledge that we have been very lucky with how far in advance the RB has habitually announced casting, and that if casting isn't ready - it's not ready! If they're withholding it it's for good reason.

However! This makes two mixed bills in a row where casting hasn't been announced in time for Friends booking opening, and IIRC something similar happened with Dante in the Autumn. It's beginning to look like a trend and I wonder what's driving it. Have early casting announcements been causing problems? If so I would quite like them to be honest about it - I don't need or want to know specifics, just a broad explanation and whether this is something we will see continue.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, alison said:

As did we all :( - namely because Hay wasn't cast.

I couldn't do Hay's dates in 2016 and I was gutted he wasn't cast in 2022, so doubly longing for him to be in this June's cast!

Edited by Emeralds

58 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Alexander Campbell was not cast in either Winter's Tale or Swan Lake, nor in the Ashton. So his departure has nothing to do with the casting delay. I know, I know, you all want to know, but at least this is negative but confirmatory news.

My source for this information is the horse's mouth.

Sad and astounding that he wasn't going to be in the Ashton! Disappointing that he wasn't cast in TWT nor SL. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh I see ….that must be just a little painful for him then. I’d loved to have seen him as Oberon again. 

Campbell was one of the best Oberons (with Morera a brilliant Titania) I've seen. Rewatched their pas de deux on the Royal Ballet Back on Stage lockdown livestream over and over again! Such a pity their 2017 performance wasn't recorded for DVD - a masterclass in allegro technique, acting and Ashton style. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Campbell was one of the best Oberons (with Morera a brilliant Titania) I've seen. Rewatched their pas de deux on the Royal Ballet Back on Stage lockdown livestream over and over again! Such a pity their 2017 performance wasn't recorded for DVD - a masterclass in allegro technique, acting and Ashton style. 

And a total standout in Two Pigeons. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Alexander Campbell was not cast in either Winter's Tale or Swan Lake, nor in the Ashton. So his departure has nothing to do with the casting delay. I know, I know, you all want to know, but at least this is negative but confirmatory news.

My source for this information is the horse's mouth.

I'm not surprised he's taken another job then! I'd lost hope that he was ever going to get Swan Lake but was surprised he wasn't cast in Winter's Tale & am even more surprised that he wasn't due to be cast in any of the Ashton works either. Quite apart from the artistic strangeness of not casting a dancer who would be suitable for several roles, some of which he has done before, I cannot see how the company can economically justify employing a dancer on a Principal's salary then not cast him in anything for months. If my maths are correct, that would mean he'd only been cast for 9 RB performances in the entire season. It seems a complete waste of both his time & talents and, for them, their money; and since the ROH have been going on since covid about how short of money they are then surely they should make the most of the salaries they are paying by giving all Principals (as long as they're not injured) a decent number of performances every season.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm not surprised he's taken another job then! I'd lost hope that he was ever going to get Swan Lake but was surprised he wasn't cast in Winter's Tale & am even more surprised that he wasn't due to be cast in any of the Ashton works either. Quite apart from the artistic strangeness of not casting a dancer who would be suitable for several roles, some of which he has done before, I cannot see how the company can economically justify employing a dancer on a Principal's salary then not cast him in anything for months. If my maths are correct, that would mean he'd only been cast for 9 RB performances in the entire season. It seems a complete waste of both his time & talents and, for them, their money; and since the ROH have been going on since covid about how short of money they are then surely they should make the most of the salaries they are paying by giving all Principals (as long as they're not injured) a decent number of performances every season.

Wow. I'm not surprised he has taken another job either, though I do hope his new role is a positive one for him and as sad as I am to see him leave, I wish him every success and happiness. :) 

I am so surprised he was not cast in any of the upcoming works, though casting has only been announced for Principal roles in SL, so maybe he would have been cast as Benno again? Unless he was not even cast for that? He was cast in Different Drummer though, I saw.  But not for the Ashton or WT? I agree that it seems not financially viable to employ a Principal and then have lesser-ranked dancers taking on Principal or senior roles when a Principal is not being regularly cast. I don't pretend to understand casting decisions, which must be tricky, but I do hope there will be some ones I like in the Ashton coming up - if I ever find out what they are. My booking period is coming up soon and I really don't want to take pot luck and be disappointed not to see my preferred casts. I know casting can change but I am feeling a bit concerned about this, as casting for the Ashton IS important to me. I'm not a Patron, so will I be afforded the right to forego admin fees if I rebook because I can't see who is cast for the Ashton and need to change my tickets once it is? I should email and ask, I think.

Has Campbell ever danced Siegfried at RB? I can't find mention of it in his bio. If so, I wonder why not. Then again, Morera never danced Juliet, so . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

….. the Ashton IS important to me. I'm not a Patron, so will I be afforded the right to forego admin fees if I rebook because I can't see who is cast for the Ashton and need to change my tickets once it is? I should email and ask, I think.

Yes, please do write in with that question @Linnzi5 It would be help so many people to have the answer AND also send a message that wouldbe bookers are being inconvenienced big time.

(I would write except that I have the free refund/exchange option.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, capybara said:

I’m concerned that posts on this thread, which are really unsubstantiated hearsay, seem to be being carried forward and built on as if they were fact.

I do hope that's not looking in my direction 😘

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes, please do write in with that question @Linnzi5 It would be help so many people to have the answer AND also send a message that wouldbe bookers are being inconvenienced big time.

(I would write except that I have the free refund/exchange option.)

I have just emailed - I'll report back when I have a reply. I've always found Customer Services excellent, so fingers crossed I am contacted soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

I have just emailed - I'll report back when I have a reply. I've always found Customer Services excellent, so fingers crossed I am contacted soon. 

It's a bit rude to extend this offer to Patrons but not Friends who also pay, albeit less, for a form of membership specifically to allow them advanced booking. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

And a total standout in Two Pigeons. 

I agree- he was wonderful with Yuhui Choe! I was going to do a list of all the roles I'd seen that he was so brilliant in but feared I'd crash the website so I'm just mentioning a few at a time  😀......

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

It's a bit rude to extend this offer to Patrons but not Friends who also pay, albeit less, for a form of membership specifically to allow them advanced booking. 

I got my reply. Basically said that the offer of not paying a fee to return tickets is one that comes with being a Patron only and is standard for that level of membership only and therefore would not be extended to Friends.  Apologies were given for the lack of casting -  it was stated that it's because they don't want to give casting they are uncertain of and then it be necessary for it to change. So, I didn't get anywhere really. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

There was mention of Ashton casting in my Friends email this morning:

Due to a number of factors, the Ashton Les Rendezvous, The Dream and Rhapsody casting is currently not available as it is still changing, and we do not wish Friends to book for a certain cast which will then not reflect who dances in that performance.

I wonder when it will be finalised? 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

There was mention of Ashton casting in my Friends email this morning:

Due to a number of factors, the Ashton Les Rendezvous, The Dream and Rhapsody casting is currently not available as it is still changing, and we do not wish Friends to book for a certain cast which will then not reflect who dances in that performance.

I wonder when it will be finalised? 

I suppose we must assume there are some pretty extensive casting issues still to be sorted, that would go well beyond the odd or two last minute changes that could arise with any programme.....

• Like 1

Looks like it.

it would be great to book my June holiday but the Ashton programme takes priority!

I just know if I arrange to go away for one end or other of the date range, I shall end up missing Muntagirov or something, and then no end of  holidays will make up.

It would be soooooooo helpful to know if casting is going to be in blocks, or dotted about, but- I can only assume they don't know.

• Like 2

Could they not just let forum members do the casting?  I think we could fix it pretty quickly and satisfactorily. 

I’m just hoping they sort it out before the pleb booking period opens as I came unstuck thinking I was being clever in guessing casting for the Macmillan triple - how wrong I was and I ended up having to swap my ticket because I’m becoming one of those Vadim fans.  

I’m beginning to think lots of dancers have argued and are refusing to work with one another, hence the delays and surprising casting that’s been occurring of late.....🧐😆.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

Could they not just let forum members do the casting?  I think we could fix it pretty quickly and satisfactorily. 

🤣 I think that could be potentially disastrous! 

3 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

I’m just hoping they sort it out before the pleb booking period opens as I came unstuck thinking I was being clever in guessing casting for the Macmillan triple - how wrong I was and I ended up having to swap my ticket because I’m becoming one of those Vadim fans. 

I feel your pain, as I am the one of those William fans! I thought I was being clever for the MacMillan but have had to book more tickets - what a shame! 🤣

I wonder if one of the reasons for the delay is that they might not have fully thought through the casting implications of programming. There are several principals who I might normally "expect" to see in Rhapsody and the Dream (Hayward might also otherwise be considered a sure thing for Hamlet and Ophelia), but it could be a tall order for them to appear in both on the same day, or on consecutive days. They're only one-acters, but look like hard work to me!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

🤣 I think that could be potentially disastrous! 

I feel your pain, as I am the one of those William fans! I thought I was being clever for the MacMillan but have had to book more tickets - what a shame! 🤣

🤣 I’d be one of those William fans too if my budget would only allow it!  I’m more than half way there to be honest.  The solution is a Bracewell/Muntagirov pairing - I don’t mind which ballet and I’m sure they have the talent to pull off anything - the big bonus being that they’d save me the money and FOMO on seeing (or not seeing) multiple casts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

🤣 I’d be one of those William fans too if my budget would only allow it!  I’m more than half way there to be honest.  The solution is a Bracewell/Muntagirov pairing - I don’t mind which ballet and I’m sure they have the talent to pull off anything - the big bonus being that they’d save me the money and FOMO on seeing (or not seeing) multiple casts.

I like your idea! Total genius! 🤣

• Like 1

Well me, obviously.  Everyone else is welcome to chip in with suggestions though 😆.  

Maybe we could set up a poll and put it to a vote and then email the results to Mr O’Hare - I’m sure he’d be so grateful for our input....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

Well me, obviously.  Everyone else is welcome to chip in with suggestions though 😆.  

Maybe we could set up a poll and put it to a vote and then email the results to Mr O’Hare - I’m sure he’d be so grateful for our input....

🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

Will Bracewell himself had mentioned in his interview with Julia Dixon and Brandon Lawrence on Open Barre Podcast that a male/male love story ballet is long overdue.

So, I think we’ve got one main protagonist already secured for @OnePigeon’s new piece.

Edited by Silke H
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Silke H said:

Will Bracewell himself had mentioned in his interview with Julia Dixon and Brandon Lawrence on Open Barre Podcast that a male/male love story ballet is long overdue.

So, I think we’ve got one main protagonist already secured for @OnePigeon’s new piece.

I’m on it!  The Festival of New Choreography 2025 will feature a debut piece by yours truly danced by Bracewell and hopefully Muntagirov.  I hope they’re ok with my grade 4 limitations - it will be basic, undoubtedly derivative, but hopefully very moving.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Silke H said:

I listened to that fantastic podcast too (it was just brilliant). I have to say that the Bracewell/Ball pairing in Corybantic Games was stunning and I loved watching them dance together, so I think a male/male love story would be great! 

• Like 2