54 minutes ago, Sim said:

Some very interesting casting there.  So no new Hermiones, but some new Leontes.   Partnerships are shifting a bit:  Fumi is with Vadim once again, Yasmine is with Will once again, and Marianela is with Matthew.  Very interesting to see Lauren with Cesar; I would not have even thought of that one!!  

Very glad to see some of the other debuts, and to see Itziar reprising the role of Paulina.  I am especially interested to see that Viola Pantuso is already getting a Principal role (Perdita).  

I'm quite surprised by Cuthbertson with Corrales. I would have thought he would be too short for her, though I suppose there's not as much partnering required in this as in the classics (from what I can recall). Pantuso is certainly having a good season, debuting first as Clara & now this. She has stood out for me in the corps since she joined.

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Having only just vowed not to go to TWT mainly because of the prices, some of this casting is so interesting that I'm already weakening... well, we'll see.

I thought seeing it once or twice would be sufficient (I've not seen it live before) but now there are dancers I'm very interested in seeing in all 4 casts!

I had rather hoped Lamb would do Perdita one more time, so I could see her in the role that she created, but it's not entirely a surprise that she's moved on to the older role. I couldn't decide if Bracewell was more likely to be cast as Leontes or Florizel. Florizel it is. Though I hope he gets a go at Leontes some time in the future. I was thinking of Magri as a possible Perdita so I'm slightly surprised to see her as Paulina. Glad to see Hamilton has got a decent-sized role for once, as another Paulina. 

A few notable absences: No Campbell, either reprising Florizel or getting to do anything else. He must be the most under-used Principal (not counting the long-term injured ones) this season by a long way. No Hay, another former Florizel. No Clarke. I thought he would reprise Polixenes if he didn't get Leontes. Maybe Osipova requires him to parter her guesting somewher else! No Edmonds, who seems the right type for Polixenes.

• Like 6

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cesar at last!!…. and not in the role I was expecting so that’s one I want to see and has Hayward as Perdita …. Just surprised she’s not dancing this with Corrales …..plus the Kaneko Muntagirov Pantuso cast. 
Can hopefully catch the encore cinema cast in this as well. 
I haven’t attended a lot of cinema relays but really enjoyed Manon this afternoon and it is a way of seeing another cast if standing not available etc. 

Thanks again for posting Capybara. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

If I’m not mistaken, each of the main debutantes is paired with someone who has danced the ‘opposite’ role before.

The casting of Cesar Corrales caught me by surprise but, surely, Christopher Wheeldon would’ve been mightily impressed with him in Like Water for Chocolate, both in his brief created role and by the way in which he (with Yasmine Naghdi) elevated that ballet into something remarkable. He will also, I think, be able to look old enough on stage as Leontes whereas (and I’m guessing🧐- sorry) maybe William B would not (just yet).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, capybara said:

The Winter's Tale Casting is now available:

Winters Tale Casting 2024.pdf 178.34 kB · 84 downloads

Finally! Thanks so much for sharing @capybara

Thrilled that of the 2 dates I was contemplating, there's a choice between Yasmine Naghdi and Viola Pantuso as Perdita. What a choice to have to make!!!!

Perhaps I will have to try to see it more than once.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Yes she has, so this time she is dancing Paulina instead.  I'm looking forward to that.

Who is Paulina/Polixenes? I've never seen the ballet before or read the play. Very much looking forward to it.

Just googled all the characters! I would have thought Cesar would be a bit too young for Leontes, but very glad he's back and doing the role.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TSR101 said:

Has Osipova ever taken a role in a Wheeldon full length? I couldn't see Winter's Tale, Alice or Chocolate on her repertoire? 

It doesn't look like she has - I'm a bit upset about that as I would have liked to see her in LWFC as well (maybe when it comes back next...)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

It doesn't look like she has - I'm a bit upset about that as I would have liked to see her in LWFC as well (maybe when it comes back next...)

TBH I think if she was going to be cast in any I would have thought it was this one as I would have thought this suited to her. However, it is something that the Osipova hasn't been casting in any of the new full length RB ballets (either Wheeldon or Scarlett's Frankenstein). 

3 hours ago, TSR101 said:

Has Osipova ever taken a role in a Wheeldon full length? I couldn't see Winter's Tale, Alice or Chocolate on her repertoire? 

Perhaps, after Strapless, she decided that Wheeldon wasn’t her choreographer of choice. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Was it really bad? I’ve just watched a brief rehearsal clip on YouTube, it doesn’t look too terrible! 

I’d say it was just disappointing, West End stage rather than Royal Ballet. Anticipation was high but what came out in the wash was a lukewarm approximation of something that felt as though it should have been so much more. 

• Like 4

On 09/02/2024 at 18:36, Richard LH said:

So First Soloist Sissens gets 4 performances (with Sasaki and Takada) but Principal Campbell gets none....again🫤

Campbell was previously first cast of Benno, which is a substantial and virtuoso role.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

A few notable absences: No Campbell, either reprising Florizel or getting to do anything else. He must be the most under-used Principal (not counting the long-term injured ones) this season by a long way.

I’m assuming - or hoping - that Campbell will be doing a lot in the Ashton performances, which might explain it? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I’d say it was just disappointing, West End stage rather than Royal Ballet. Anticipation was high but what came out in the wash was a lukewarm approximation of something that felt as though it should have been so much more. 

I saw it twice with both Osipova and Cuthbertson. It certainly wasn’t bad, it just didn’t really hit the mark, because I’m not sure if they knew what mark they were aiming for. The idea was good, the story line tempting, but perhaps there were no depths - hidden or otherwise - to the actual subject matter. Perhaps MacMillan or Scarlett could have dug deeper, perhaps the dancing prancing French waiters killed the serious drama, but I’d like to have seen a darker rework. Or perhaps it needed an Ashton touch to make better sense of the period. Glad I saw it though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sim said:

Very glad to see some of the other debuts, and to see Itziar reprising the role of Paulina.  I am especially interested to see that Viola Pantuso is already getting a Principal role (Perdita).  

Indeed, and I’m interested to see her partnered with Joseph Sissens - don’t think they’ve done much together before. I appreciate that Kevin O’Hare is letting the younger/less experienced dancers take on bigger roles recently, with the Clara debuts and now this.

I hope this trend continues as given how big the RB is, it seems to take longer for people to progress up the ranks than in other companies! I’m thrilled about Joseph Sissens doing Siegfried as well. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

I saw it twice with both Osipova and Cuthbertson. It certainly wasn’t bad, it just didn’t really hit the mark, because I’m not sure if they knew what mark they were aiming for.

Yep, I read a few reviews that said this. I thought that 2 stars seemed a little harsh (not that I pay much attention to mainstream media opinions on the arts anyway!)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I agree.  I saw both casts:  the first time was a disappointment, the second time was a real struggle.  I would never go again.  

12 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Was it really bad? I’ve just watched a brief rehearsal clip on YouTube, it doesn’t look too terrible! 

Strapless isn't the worst but compared to Wheeldon's other ballets it isn't near the top in my opinion- bur it really depends on what kind of dance you like. For me, I think it's not the most "danceable" sort of story. The dancers were great and gave it 100% but you couldn't help feeling there were better stories and characters out there for them to portray, including other Wheeldon ballets. The costumes and sets were beautiful though.

In contrast, The Winter's Tale works very well as a ballet although you do need strong dance actors and RB definitely has them.When I first saw it, the expression on the face of  Zenaida Yanowsky (as Paulina) and her trembling hands as she realised that their long lost baby princess was actually alive and grown up was immensely moving- I actually had tears. The interaction between Sarah Lamb (Perdita) and Edward Watson (Leontes) when she realises he is her biological father- wonderful. The premiere cast- Watson, Cuthbertson, Bonelli, McRae, Lamb, Yanowsky, Gartside, Avis, Zucchetti, Whitehead - such an outstanding team.

There are lots of other lovely details. The second act is like their divertissement. It's a very balanced ballet and zips along at a good pace- there is no filler. Despite the play itself being complex, you can follow the ballet easily without reading anything.  No wonder other companies love this ballet and want to acquire it or have acquired it. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 12

I rather like it too, despite misgivings about some of the choreography and the music, so the whole must add up to more than the sum of the parts.

I could do with less jealous writhing, as the point gets made pretty well quite soon, but is  then hammered home....over-writhed - rather too much for my taste, even when it was Ed Watson.

I always greatly enjoy the explosion of sound, colour and joy in Act 2, with frolicking round the tree, but for me Sarah Lamb and Steve McRae were perfect for that scene, alas not this time - oh and Gary Avis the ideal shepherd father, jovial, but also sufficiently stern.

I also found it not a bad ballet to take a teenager to.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mary said:

I rather like it too, despite misgivings about some of the choreography and the music, so the whole must add up to more than the sum of the parts.

I could do with less jealous writhing, as the point gets made pretty well quite soon, but is  then hammered home....over-writhed - rather too much for my taste, even when it was Ed Watson.

Me too. Jealous writhers begone!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mary said:

I always greatly enjoy the explosion of sound, colour and joy in Act 2, with frolicking round the tree, but for me Sarah Lamb and Steve McRae were perfect for that scene, alas not this time - oh and Gary Avis the ideal shepherd father, jovial, but also sufficiently stern.

I think I watched this on Marquee TV or somewhere with Sarah and Vadim, and Marcelino/Beatriz as the lead dancers round the tree (not sure exactly which combination, I think Hirano was Leontes but not sure). Such delightful music and the set looked enchanting, as well as the beautiful dancing.

• Like 1

Yes, quite enchanting, and the music works well in that scene in my view......

although there was an issue with trousers that occupied a large part of the original discussion thread I recall, - too long...too short...too bright- ? something...happy days!

Thanks to those who have shared casting it’s very interesting! 

Pleased for Pantuso and nice to see Calvert making a return in both Swan Lake and Winter’s Tale. Similarly good to see Corrales is hopefully recovered from his injury.

I agree Campbell is being criminally under-utilised at this point. 

The casting for Winter’s Tale looks quite nice and balanced, even for me who is generally “picky” about casting (more down to budget and not living in London now) all casts do look appealing rather than there being a standout cast of my preference.

Having said that I (sadly) won’t be attending. The pricing is on a similar par to Swan Lake for the seats I can actually afford (£50 and under and my preference for works I am a bit more uncertain if I’ll like if I haven’t seen them I prefer to stick to £40 and under). This combined with the fact that there are no matinee performances (like MacMillan) means I can’t afford it (or couldn't justify it if I could!). To spend a minimum of about £200 (for a £50 ticket, associated travel and hotels) for a ballet I’m unsure I’ll like, or at least for that amount I’d have to love it, is something I’m not prepared to do. 

I’m making an effort for MacMillan (and diverting funds into that and Ashton in the Summer) as that interests me far more and the tickets are cheaper at least, and thankfully Ashton has matinees. So overall perhaps I shouldn’t complain as I’d rather a Winter’s Tale had none than Ashton. 

I may try and go see in the cinema though, I haven’t done a live screening yet so will try and investigate closer to the time. 

• Like 3

For me, The Winter’s Tale is the best of Wheeldon’s full length ballets.  The story is less familiar than the ubiquitous Shakespeare plays of R&J, Macbeth, Hamlet.  However it’s got fewer characters than Mayerling and Like Water For Chocolate, which helps a lot, and the story is told quite clearly through the dancing and staging.

I find it quite strange that Polixenes is listed last in the RB casting shared here, when it’s the friendship of Polixenes and Leontes from childhood to adulthood that is the crux of the story.   The young couple, Perdita and Florizel are fairly superficial roles, joyful and virtuoso of course, which does perform the necessary contrast to the dark sadness of the other scenes.  In my opinion, many dancers in the company could do these roles.   It’s the other four main roles that require nuance and depth and experienced dancers.  I struggle to see Leo Dixon as Polixenes,, but then cast alongside Vadim Muntagirov this may work.  

IMO William Bracewell is miscast as Florizel.  He should be Leontes. 

Edited by FionaM
Add last sentence
  • Like 6