Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

20 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I'm so happy because I booked to see Fumi and Bracewell and have the added bonus of Joe Sissons and Sae Maeda too. What a lovely cast and I always love to see Sissons, he's a standout for me.

Sissens!

• Like 2

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, capybara said:

And now Gina Storm Jensen has announced that she will be dancing with NorwegianBallet for a year.

I think she’s been with the RB for 10 years. How time flies……

I'm sorry we won't be seeing her this coming season. She was one of the first dancers to stand out in the corps for me when I first saw the RB. I'd be interested to know what sort of roles she will get to dance with Norwegian Ballet. Will she get to do some of the leading roles that it doesn't look like she is likely to get to do, at least at present, with the RB.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd be interested to know what sort of roles she will get to dance with Norwegian Ballet. Will she get to do some of the leading roles that it doesn't look like she is likely to get to do, at least at present, with the RB.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you …

• Like 1

Gina Storm-Jenson's early training was in Norway. She's currently a soloist and has danced Lilac Fairy and Myrtha among other important roles at the RB so perhaps she's trying to widen her experience.

Gina is half Norwegian, half German, was born in London, and was accepted into the Norwegian Ballet School in Oslo at the age of eight

https://balletassociation.co.uk/pages/reports-2022-gina-storm-jensen

Recently Gina was surprised to win a Norwegian opera and ballet prize jointly with Lucas Lima (a former RBS student who is now a Principal in Oslo)

Edited by Ondine

22 hours ago, Sim said:

Sissens!

Yes, my mistake, I was very tired from a lot of travel and my spell check showed an error and I made a mistake.

Anyway, my point still stands, I'm very excited to see him.

Edited by emmarose
  • Like 1

Just now, emmarose said:

Yes, my mistake, I was very tired from a lot of travel and my spell check showed an error and I made a mistake.

Anyway, my point still stands, I'm very excited to see him.

I just pointed it out because many people misspell his name, and I have a feeling we will be writing about him a lot in the coming season!

• Like 1

Perhaps ballet people have some excuse …albeit a very small one …as Sissens is quite close to Sissonne a ballet step so maybe Sissons is more fixed in the brain lol!! 
I spelt it wrongly a couple of times a few years back until got Sissens firmly fixed as the correct spelling! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Perhaps ballet people have some excuse …albeit a very small one …as Sissens is quite close to Sissonne a ballet step so maybe Sissons is more fixed in the brain lol!! 
I spelt it wrongly a couple of times a few years back until got Sissens firmly fixed as the correct spelling! 

Yes, that's also a factor...

6 hours ago, Sim said:

I just pointed it out because many people misspell his name, and I have a feeling we will be writing about him a lot in the coming season!

Yes, I agree with you, he has the kind of future in store where he'll be the talk on here and around the ballet world. He's always a firm favourite with me.

• Like 3

I’d be guessing these ‘year away’ contracts have been under negotiation for some time.  I note that some companies only announce promotions and new joiners now, in September at the start of the new season. That could be a reason for David and Gina’s announcements happening only now.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, capybara said:

Isabella Gasparini has posted about trying on the Mercedes costume originally made for Laura Morera.

So the Mercedes list is growing: Buvoli; Gasparini; Magri so far.

And Yuhui 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

Isabella Gasparini has posted about trying on the Mercedes costume originally made for Laura Morera.

15 minutes ago, Rob S said:

And Yuhui 🙂

but only one Espada unmasked.  Lukas BB. At the Insight, Christopher Saunders let slip that Lukas is the tallest of the Espadas but didn't mention any other candidates.....

16 minutes ago, PeterS said:

but only one Espada unmasked.  Lukas BB. At the Insight, Christopher Saunders let slip that Lukas is the tallest of the Espadas but didn't mention any other candidates.....

I'd be (almost) willing to bet the ranch on Hirano for opening night as he danced the role with that cast last time. 

26 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Well that rules out Clarke who is now cast as Basilio and probably Ball as he now has 4 shows as the lead.

Agree that Hirano is a shoe in and Zucchetti has danced Espada before.

Richardson? Edmonds? Mock?

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Gasparini did, I think, mention some others at the Ballet Association last night, but I slightly lost track of the conversation.

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Well that rules out Clarke who is now cast as Basilio

While I'm not entirely surprised Clarke is just doing Basilio, I had rather hoped he would do Espada too. Last time I only managed to see him as Espada in Act I, as he got injured & was replaced by Edmonds for Act III, so it would have been nice to have tried to see him in the full role this time around.

I do wish the Mercedes & Espadas were announced in advance. I'm currently dithering between various casts based on the Kitris & Basilios so more casting information would be helpful to make a decision. After catching up on the streamed rehearsal last night I would like to see Buvoli & Braendesrod if only Saunders had specificed which cast they were in rather than just saying it was one of the later ones.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I do wish the Mercedes & Espadas were announced in advance. 

Me too, with the train strikes it would be great to know in advance if I should make an effort to get to an affected performance to see a debut (ie sit in Paddington station all night waiting for the first train the next morning)

• Like 3

Just received from the ROH:

We hope you are looking forward to attending Don Quixote at the Royal Opera House.

We are writing to inform you that the following cast change has taken place for a performance you have booked: 

WEDNESDAY 4 OCTOBER, 7.30pm and SATURDAY 7 OCTOBER, 7pm

Natalia Osipova is replaced by Mayara Magri as Kitri.

Natalia Osipova sustained an injury during early rehearsal at the start of the Season. She has been advised not to dance her first two scheduled performances of Don Quixote on 4 and 7 October in order for her to continue her rehabilitation. It is very much hoped that she will be fully recovered for her next scheduled performances in November.

We wish Natalia a speedy recovery. I am delighted that Mayara Magri will be stepping into the role of Kitri for these two performances, dancing with Marcelino Sambé as Basilio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Mayara Magri replaces Natalia Osipova on 4th and 7th  October!!

I just got the email through, I was really looking forward to seeing Natalia in this role, but wish her a speedy recovery, it's awful to be injured right at the start of the season.

I do love Mayara, so that'll be special too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

We hope you are looking forward to attending Don Quixote at the Royal Opera House.

We are writing to inform you that the following cast change has taken place for a performance you have booked: 

Natalia Osipova sustained an injury during early rehearsal at the start of the Season. She has been advised not to dance her first two scheduled performances of Don Quixote on 4 and 7 October in order for her to continue her rehabilitation. It is very much hoped that she will be fully recovered for her next scheduled performances in November.

We wish Natalia a speedy recovery. I am delighted that Mayara Magri will be stepping into the role of Kitri for these two performances, dancing with Marcelino Sambé as Basilio.

They announce it now after her Oct shows are virtually sold out....

23 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Has Mayara Magri danced Kitri before with the Royal Ballet or will this be her debut? 

if yes, who has she partnered previously? 

thank you in advance

20 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

This is an unusually detailed message about the reasons for a cast change,  and anticipated recovery etc....very welcome for concerned audience members. It would be nice if such explanations were the norm,   but I suppose this will depend on how much information the dancer concerned wishes to share publicly.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

This is an unusually detailed message about the reasons for a cast change,  and anticipated recovery etc....very welcome for concerned audience members. It would be nice if such explanations were the norm,   but I suppose this will depend on how much information the dancer concerned wishes to share publicly.

I think that Mayara will smash Kitri out of the park.

• Like 3