Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

On 25/09/2023 at 11:34, MildConcern said:

Opera sales are struggling also.  Rheingold sold very well (as a new Ring Cycle production inevitably will) but both La Forza and L’elisir have swathes of unsold seats.

I am in my twenties and many of my theatre loving friends are feeling the cost of living and the ROH price increases have turned them away - rather sadly, I am attending largely on my own (or occasionally with my partner) this season…

I attended La Forza yesterday night. About 15 to 20% of seats were unoccupied, but this is not exceptional: I remember having seen, 15 years ago, a Luisa Miller and a Werther with less than 2/3 of the auditorium sold.

What was a very significant warning signal yesterday, was the almost empty restaurants during the intervals: at the Piazza (Amphitheatre), only the terrace had clients while the inner restaurant was empty, and at the Paul Hamlyn Hall there were plenty of unoccupied tables (at the mezzanine). This is really the signal that something wrong is happening in terms of gap between prices and ability of the audience to pay such prices. Furthermore, part of the economical model of the ROH is based on the revenues from the foyers. If these decline, there will be trouble in the budget...

Edited by Paco
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

Back to Don Q: 

Gary Avis is don Quixote 4th, 7th eve, 11th, 14th eve, 28th mat October, 7th eve November, and Lorenzo 30th September, 16th, 19th, 28th eve October, 11th mat/eve, 17th November.

I'm just seeing Gary as  Lorenzo then (apart from possibly as Don Q at the Cinema on the 7th Nov). I must say I prefer him as Lorenzo, rather than Don Q. For me (borrowing from another thread)  Christopher Saunders has been the "definitive" Don Q to date. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, capybara said:

Super cast including a number of intriguing debuts.

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I am very pleased by this cast! Can't wait - provided I can get to my nearest tube station. I then have to find my way from Holborn - I'm hoping I can remember the way! 🤣

• Like 2

Turn left out of station walk a few hundred yards along the big main  road (kingsway I think) cross the main road to access Queens Street (so right off the main road) walk to the end of road till you hit Drury Lane where the Masons Hall is on the left. I’m sure you will know where you are at that point!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Turn left out of station walk a few hundred yards along the big main  road (kingsway I think) cross the main road to access Queens Street (so right off the main road) walk to the end of road till you hit Drury Lane where the Masons Hall is on the left. I’m sure you will know where you are at that point!! 

Thank you! I found my way there and back. I had a lovely time. Brilliant cast! 

Edited by Linnzi5
Auto correct misfired! 😱
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

This cast is absolutely amazing! Magri as Mercedes, Richardson and Sissens as matadors...

Sometimes I am not sure whether the RB audience are aware they are living a golden age of the company...

Edited by Paco
  • Like 9

Incidentally does anyone know how to access a full cast sheet from the actual website ( on an iPhone!) 

Earlier today I could access it from the performance page but now it’s Oct 4th showing so wondered how to access the cast sheet once a performance is over so to speak. 
I usually access from the email the ROH send you when you’ve booked a performance about “your up and coming performance” and scroll down and can get casts from there but as not going until 11th a bit of a time to wait. I’ve never worked out how to do it from their website!! 

6 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Incidentally does anyone know how to access a full cast sheet from the actual website ( on an iPhone!) 

Earlier today I could access it from the performance page but now it’s Oct 4th showing so wondered how to access the cast sheet once a performance is over so to speak. 
I usually access from the email the ROH send you when you’ve booked a performance about “your up and coming performance” and scroll down and can get casts from there but as not going until 11th a bit of a time to wait. I’ve never worked out how to do it from their website!! 

On the ROH home page, go to Tickets and Events at the top and scroll down to Cast Sheets. Tonight's is there at the moment.

• Like 1

Aha Thankyou very much Bridiem 🙂Well what  a happy revelation ….And how easy was that!! I just don’t know why I didn’t know to do this before now!! 
Typically I’ve always done it the hard and more convoluted way via the email!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

I find the quickest way (from a standing start) is to google “ROH cast sheets”, though I frequent the page so much from my work computer, I now only have to type R O…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I find the quickest way (from a standing start) is to google “ROH cast sheets”, though I frequent the page so much from my work computer, I now only have to type R O…

I do exactly the same. For some reason, accessing the cast sheets through the ROH site itself seems to take ages, whereas the page just pops up straight away with a google search!

• Like 2

With hundreds of tickets for Don Q still unsold and an amazing evening like last night to capitalise on, I see that the ROH’s IG post today is about …… yes, you’ve guessed it, coffee 😨

It reminds me of a comment on the thread about the Orchestra: that without the performers, the ROH would simply be a large cafeteria. If that isn’t to be it’s fate, they need to get their various departments working with the same artistic priorities in mind.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

With hundreds of tickets for Don Q still unsold and an amazing evening like last night to capitalise on, I see that the ROH’s IG post today is about …… yes, you’ve guessed it, coffee 😨

It reminds me of a comment on the thread about the Orchestra: that without the performers, the ROH would simply be a large cafeteria. If that isn’t to be it’s fate, they need to get their various departments working with the same artistic priorities in mind.

it's already a large caff and cocktail bar, with a theatre attached to the side

• Like 2