Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

Yes. I feel the same way. I'd love to see Pantuso (and many others) but have seen the rest of the cast. I am seeing Gary Avis this year (I didn't get to see him last year, alas, and he is my favourite Drosselmeyer), so I am pleased about that. I've seen Nunez and Muntagirov many times and love, love, love them, but really would love to see them paired with others (I understand they are crowd-pleasers and an established and very popular pairing). Alas, I don't have unlimited funds and have to limit what I see as I just don't enjoy standing (though I am standing for the DQ Friends' rehearsal). I am also wanting to book for Manon and Swan Lake and other programmes so really have to be a bit careful. I don't go and see multiple performances generally as I like certain seats and would end up in big bother with my other half if I spend too much on tickets (I spend a lot as it is, as I also see a lot of West End musicals regularly). The conclusion that I have come to is that I need a lottery win to finance my ballet addiction! :) 

I have exactly the same problem, except I'm single & live with my mother so she's the one I get in trouble with if I spend too much!

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Just a thought that perhaps it’s thought better practice to début a role surrounded and supported by more experienced dancers rather than other débuts? 

I quite agree but I didn't say I was looking to see a cast full of debutants but a cast where I haven't seen the majority of them before. The performance I have already booked has 4 leads I've not seen before - Lamb, McRae, Hinkis & Zuchetti - and certainly none of them are debutants. Since I've only seen 5 RB Nutcrackers live there are plenty of dancers I've not seen. Between the years of covid disruptions & the consistently high Nutcracker prices I have seen fewer Nutcracker performances than I have of other ballets that are done less frequently.

• Like 3

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, capybara said:

The 13th Jan cast is: Magri, Clarke, Hinkis, Zucchetti and Gartside.

I copied the casting onto this thread when I realised that, although it came to me officially, it wasn't online.

I wanted BCF members to have the heads up as soon as possible as there are many performances which are looking very booked up already.

Thank you ❤️

35 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I have exactly the same problem, except I'm single & live with my mother so she's the one I get in trouble with if I spend too much!

🤣 I know how you feel! My mother frequently tells me off - says I spend too much money, though it's usually when I spend it on her that she gets cross (I take no notice because I enjoy treating her). My mum is a huge ballet fan and introduced me to it so she thinks my ballet hobby is very worthwhile (unless I tell her how much the tickets are! 🤣). My husband just calls me profligate! Then again, he plays golf a lot, which is not a cheap sport. So I think it evens out. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

🤣 I know how you feel! My mother frequently tells me off - says I spend too much money, though it's usually when I spend it on her that she gets cross (I take no notice because I enjoy treating her). My mum is a huge ballet fan and introduced me to it so she thinks my ballet hobby is very worthwhile (unless I tell her how much the tickets are! 🤣). My husband just calls me profligate! Then again, he plays golf a lot, which is not a cheap sport. So I think it evens out. 

My mother took me to the ROH for the first time, 19 years ago, so I tell her it's her fault! However she's content to only see occasional live performances & mostly sees the cinema showings, whereas I prefer to see live performances - & want to see lots of them!

• Like 2

Well, I decided to cancel my 2 Don Q performances on the 28th Oct. Mixture of cost, not so much the tickets for once but the £200 it would have cost for transport and accommodation (if I'm lucky!) I'm still going to 5 performances and will see Matthew/Mayara at the cinema and can always go twice as our local Odeon has started showing the encore performances as well. Also, I booked a matinee ticket for Nutcracker 1st Jan  to see Annette Buvoli and Marianne so I just need to know about transport on Jan 1st. Do trains run a Bank Holiday service? I know National Express seem to be operating but I'd need to go from Chelt as the coaches from Preston are fairly non existent. Plenty of tickets left for this performance and I even managed a standing ticket.

I noticed when I cancelled the evening performance (Takada/Acri) that it said there was filming. I wondered if it was a Japanese Company for Takada as sometimes in the past they have filmed her or Ryio. Shame about missing Acri. I was looking forward to seeing him but am conscious I don't know how many Manon's I will want to see and also know just how many Ashtons I want to see; far more than I can afford!!!

The evening performance (Takada/Acri 28th Oct) I cancelled was a SCS if anyone is interested. £14 D46. Credit was instantly in my account. I'm impressed.

Edited by jmhopton

Ha ha Linnzi5 that’s just what my partner calls me. 
He used to print tickets off for me but think it’s a good job Ive now got used to just showing them on the phone so he doesn’t know exactly how much some of them cost!! 

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

...and made me fall in love with ballet!

The  2016 Nutcracker with Hayward/Campbell is on the ROH streaming service now. 

4 hours ago, PeterS said:

Just a thought that perhaps it’s thought better practice to début a role surrounded and supported by more experienced dancers rather than other débuts? 

There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule: for example I remember ed Watson and Lauren Cuthbert son making their Romeo and Juliet debuts together whereas other Romeos and Juliets did it separately.

5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

My mother took me to the ROH for the first time, 19 years ago, so I tell her it's her fault! However she's content to only see occasional live performances & mostly sees the cinema showings, whereas I prefer to see live performances - & want to see lots of them!

My brother and I took our mum to see Sleeping Beauty at the cinema in May - she really enjoyed it. and that was the first time she's been, Realistically, we can't get her to ROH now as her mobility is so poor and getting her on and off trains/tube etc. would be very challenging and probably nigh on impossible. I am hoping to take her to DQ and Nutcracker this autumn at our nearest cinema.  

I prefer live performances too. I didn't think Cinderella worked as well at the cinema as Nutcracker or Swan Lake does, for example. When I saw Cinderella live, I liked it so much more than on screen for many reasons but particularly because I could focus on what I wanted to watch and could always see the whole stage, whereas that obviously can't happen at a screening. I also love hearing the orchestra live and, of course, there is a certain magic being at ROH, watching live ballet, there, in person. I have to say that I also very much enjoyed meeting some forum members recently during the intervals - it may sound silly, but having dancers and management of RB pointed out to me was very exciting! :) 

• Like 7

I probably shouldn’t comment as I’ll not be going to The Nutcracker, but I am slightly surprised not to see David Yudes cast as Hans-Peter (he was delightful when I did actually see The Nutcracker in 2022). Also, does anybody know if Romany Pajdak will be back? After years of neglect, she seemed suddenly to be getting some lovely opportunities but has been missing for over a season now it seems…

Edited by Jamesrhblack

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I probably shouldn’t comment as I’ll not be going to The Nutcracker, but I am slightly surprised not to see David Yudes cast as Hans-Peter (he was delightful when I did actually see The Nutcracker in 2022). Also, does anybody know if Romany Pajdak will be back? After years of neglect, she seemed suddenly to be getting some lovely opportunities but has been missing for over a season now it seems…

Is she on maternity leave? 

• Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
58 minutes ago, Amanda Liu said:

Cast has been updated on ROH website. Interesting cast for Matinee on 21st December :)

IMG_5656.thumb.jpeg.ab30dd3765c5b33d373ded4e196e7104.jpeg

Proof reading not being one of the ROH's strong suits

13 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It does now correctly show Gary Avis. But I'm amazed that such errors go live at all - do they really edit the website directly, with no checking stage?

It is amazing - any substantial website should have a workflow set up requiring everything to be approved before publication, with overrides only for emergencies.

• Like 6

On 05/08/2023 at 22:36, alison said:

There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule: for example I remember ed Watson and Lauren Cuthbert son making their Romeo and Juliet debuts together whereas other Romeos and Juliets did it separately.

IIRC there was a ‘special’ kind of publicity drive and documentary filming surrounding that casting:

i) Very young ballerina (“the next Darcey Bussell”)

ii) Two English, RBS-trained leads

iii) Coached by a renowned UK Romeo (JonathanCope)

My wish list for Manon mixes experience with debuts and mixes up established partnerships. But we shall see…

• 5 weeks later...

David Yudes has just announced on Instagram that he will be dancing away from the RB this coming season "for personal and professional reasons".

I think that some of us were wondering why he wasn't cast as Hans Peter in The Nutcracker. Now we know.

Best wishes to David in whatever endeavour he is engaging in.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Both of these departures must have been quite sudden as neither of them was mentioned on the leavers/joiners/promotions announcement from the RB at the end of the season.

I wish David and Gina the best of luck, success and happiness in the coming year, and hope that they are both back for the following season.  :)

• Like 6

With 18 soloist the opportunities to perform might be better elsewhere. 

Gina Storm Jensen on IG does say "finally announce" and she shows herself walking into work, so maybe not that sudden in her case.  I would imagine this would have taken time to arrange. 

16 hours ago, capybara said:

I think that some of us were wondering why he wasn't cast as Hans Peter in The Nutcracker. Now we know.

or perhaps that was why he chose to dance away this year.....better opportunities elsewhere? 

Edited by oncnp

41 minutes ago, oncnp said:

With 18 soloist the opportunities to perform might be better elsewhere. 

Gina Storm Jensen on IG does say "finally announce" and she shows herself walking into work, so maybe not that sudden in her case.  I would imagine this would have taken time to arrange. 

In which case I wonder why it wasn't announced a couple of months ago?  That's why it seems sudden...

2 hours ago, capybara said:

And now Gina Storm Jensen has announced that she will be dancing with NorwegianBallet for a year.

I think she’s been with the RB for 10 years. How time flies……

IIRC Gina more or less monopolised the Dulcinea role in Don Q during the last run so that opens up an opportunity for one or more new castings in the role.