Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

Just now, Lindsay said:

Rheingold was also phenomenally expensive, even for Wagner. 

Yep. I wanted to see it for the first time but chose not to for this reason. Instead, I am hoping to see it elsewhere in Europe - Berlin potentially, I believe it’s on there next year though I need to check this, and see if I can make the dates.
Looking further afield than the UK is one of my intentions for this upcoming year, and a lot of the time air travel/accommodation booked early works out cheaper than the good ROH seats for me! 

• Like 1

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Yep. I wanted to see it for the first time but chose not to for this reason.

I thought the ENO Rheingold earlier this year was vastly superior to the ROH’s new offering - and very affordable too! 

But I agree that it is a sad state for our flagship opera house when it works out on par - or perhaps even cheaper - to fly to Munich or Zurich for the same pleasure. 

• Like 2

The poor sales (so far) of DQ, Cellist/Anemoi, Dante were predictable back in summer. From the prices and the casting, same for Rheingold and Forza. There are actually cheap seats (quite a bargain) for Cellist/Anemoi and Dante to be found (and not significantly restricted view) but the booking website doesn’t make it easy for newbies to find them. I’m not going to DQ, C/A and TDP because I’ve seen all the casts I want to see already. It’s also a very very packed autumn- when you cut out the rail industrial action dates, the remaining evenings all have at least 2 or 3 productions that I want to see that I haven’t seen before, so seeing DQ again for the nth time has to wait. 

7 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I paid £25 for my Rheingold ticket, not sure I could fly to either of those cities for that price!

Could I ask what priority group you book in to get that ticket please? I tried repeatedly for cheaper tickets both at general booking and through stalking the site for returns and failed for the first time ever.  Suspect that many who normally book ‘better’ seats were forced into the cheaper seats by the pricing this time…

11 hours ago, Lindsay said:

Could I ask what priority group you book in to get that ticket please?

I’m not the one you asked, but I paid that price for SCS Rheingold. I have the lowest level of Friend priority and there were a good few available on the (stressful!) autumn booking day, though if I recall correctly they went rather quickly. 

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

And the next (7th) Espada to be revealed is Valentino Zucchetti who will dance on 7/10 matinee, 13/10 & 17/10. Source VZ IG 

Good to know that he's recovered from injuries and is back on stage!

Does anyone know who Espada/Mercedes are on the 4th?

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

That’s the balcony standing ticket price - of course more must be available for friends with early booking, but you can sometimes find returns. I saw 1 or 2 available last week.

I think a couple of good Balcony standing tickets are included in Friday Rush - D30 & 31?

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

And the next (7th) Espada to be revealed is Valentino Zucchetti who will dance on 7/10 matinee, 13/10 & 17/10. Source VZ IG 

7 Espadas!!!

I obviously haven’t been following as closely as others.  Who are the known Espadas and dates? 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I totally missed that unfortunately, I was completely unaware that they were doing it for some reason!
Was their version in English?

Yes it was. Fwiw I don’t agree the ENO show was better.  ROH has the better cast, more coherent staging and, above all, a wonderful balance between the orchestra and clear diction from the singers resulting in an authentic Wagner sound London audiences have not heard in many years. More on that point in this review: 

https://theartsdesk.com/opera/das-rheingold-royal-opera-knotty-riveting-route-destruction

Edited by Geoff
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, FionaE said:

7 Espadas!!!

I obviously haven’t been following as closely as others.  Who are the known Espadas and dates? 

to clarify, the 7, now 8 Espadas that I have heard about are a result of hearsay.  the two declared to date are:

Lukas BB who danced at the Insight and Valentino Zucchetti who posted to IG yesterday.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterS said:

to clarify, the 7, now 8 Espadas that I have heard about are a result of hearsay.  the two declared to date are:

Lukas BB who danced at the Insight and Valentino Zucchetti who posted to IG yesterday.

Intriguing! I can't wait to find out more! :) 

53 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Pleased to notice a good feature of the ROH Website...the bottom of the Cast Sheets page  includes "Past Cast Sheets", currently  linking to the full cast lists for 21/22 and 22/23. https://www.roh.org.uk/about/cast-sheets

Unforunately as @Bluebird has pointed out elsewhere, it seems that the feature has yet to be properly sorted out, as various  earlier  links only go to the dreaded "Error 500".

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Unforunately as @Bluebird has pointed out elsewhere, it seems that the feature has yet to be properly sorted out, as various  earlier  links only go to the dreaded "Error 500".

The link to past casting has been there for some time with the same problem. 

4 hours ago, Fairy said:

Does anyone know who will be dancing the leads in the friends rehearsal for Don Q this saturday? 

I'm going to this (if I can manage to actually get to Covent Garden because of the train strike). I think I'm right in saying that usually it's the evening before if it's a matinee? Or even on the morning? I'm sure someone here will remember better than me what usually happens.

5 hours ago, Fairy said:

Does anyone know who will be dancing the leads in the friends rehearsal for Don Q this saturday? 

If recent practice is anything to go by, the cast sheet should go up on the day.

It isn't normal RB practice to announce General Rehearsal casting in advance and I think that we respect that custom on here as well.

• Thanks 1

I hope it will turn out to be one of the casts I'm thinking of seeing. Not because I'm going to the rehearsal (I'm not a Friend & the train strike would make it impossible even if I was) but because I'm trying to whittle down 5 Kitri/Basilio pairings I would like to see down to 3 & knowing some of the supporting casting might help to break my deadlock!

8 hours ago, Fairy said:

I just saw I had an email this morning  about the rehearsal on Saturday and it says on it that cast sheets will be available on the website on Saturday morning.