Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Admittedly it was the first time I’d ever seen her (well either of them) at the time and had never seen such an exciting performance of Don Q!
I’ve loved her ever since. 

Same here, I still remember it vividly. I absolutely loved it. I did see her in the last run with Vadim. Their dancing was amazing of course but unfortunately it left me really cold, I just didn’t feel a thing. 
but maybe the partnership just didn’t work for me so I am planning to book for one show each for the Sambe and Clarke as maybe I won’t be able to see her in the role again as how many years will it be before they bring it back so that would be shame.  

I am really looking forward to the Magri/Corrales cast but will see it at the cinema to save some money. I can just see Magri being a great Kitri…and Corrales seems born to play Basil!

if I can manage to see any more it will be either between Fumi and Will or Yasmine and Matthew. But I’m not sure as I am not crazy about the Acosta production, definitely not my favourite. 

• Like 1

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a way I selfishly wish Magri & Corrales didn't have the cinecast. If they didn't then they would be my first choice to book for but now I feel like I can't really justify seeing them live when I can see them at the cinema a lot more cheaply. Admittedly I have already seen Magri live as Kitri, as I saw her role debut in 2019. I'm also dithering over whether I can justify seeing Nunez/Muntagirov again as I did see them in 2019 but on the other hand it could be Nunez's last time performing Kitri if there's another 4 years before the next Don Q run. Oh, I need more money!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Yes, he is such a good dancer. The only non-Principal to be  cast  in the role, unless a promotion is in the offing,  which would suprise me, with all due respect to him!

Agree. Thrilled for Mr Acri; he deserves this starring role.

Can't help but feel sad though that James Hay didn't get a chance also. He'd be an amazing Basilio too imo.

ps: Ryoichi Hirano is my ultimate Espada. If they would only tell us in advance who's dancing that role, it would help me so much in picking the couple of shows I can afford.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Ryoichi Hirano is my ultimate Espada. If they would only tell us in advance who's dancing that role, it would help me so much in picking the couple of shows I can afford.

Agree that that casting needs to be added.

However, when he was with BRB, Alexander Yap’s performances as Espada moved him to the top of my ‘must see’ list. (I could say that it is unfortunate that he is now with Hong Kong Ballet but he obviously made a good move as he is now cast as Solor in La Bayadere and will no doubt excel in that role too.)

• Like 7

9 hours ago, capybara said:

Agree that that casting needs to be added.

However, when he was with BRB, Alexander Yap’s performances as Espada moved him to the top of my ‘must see’ list. (I could say that it is unfortunate that he is now with Hong Kong Ballet but he obviously made a good move as he is now cast as Solor in La Bayadere and will no doubt excel in that role too.)

Me too, Capybara. I couldn't believe it when I saw he was only an Artist. He is one of the best Espadas I've ever seen and I was going to start looking out for him, only for him to leave and move to Hong Kong ballet!

• Like 3

On 02/06/2023 at 19:57, MJW said:

Hopefully they will release casting for the Nutcracker/Hans-Peter, Clara and Drosselmeyer before booking opens - my decision over dates depends more on them!

I’d be surprised if there’ll be further casting details before booking opens which I think is only days away for patrons. I know last year casting details for all 5 principal Nutcracker roles were published well in advance of booking but I thought those details were all announced at the same time. 

The Friends Magazine shows a 9 December matinee ‘relaxed performance’ but on the website this is a Paul Hamlyn invited audience performance and there are also a couple of schools matinees - 6 & 7 December. I haven’t seen any casting details for these extra performances and it will be interesting to see who’s cast: the performances are a few weeks before those dancers scheduled for just one SPF/Prince performance and normally dancers tend not to have too long between their performances.

I’m assuming there are two casts for Dante as there’s a matinee and evening performance on 2 December but there’s no indication so far as to which performances are cast 1 and cast 2 so at the moment it’s pot luck if people are wishing to see both casts (unless booking for the 2 December double).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’d be surprised if there’ll be further casting details before booking opens which I think is only days away for patrons. I know last year casting details for all 5 principal Nutcracker roles were published well in advance of booking but I thought those details were all announced at the same time. 

The Friends Magazine shows a 9 December matinee ‘relaxed performance’ but on the website this is a Paul Hamlyn invited audience performance and there are also a couple of schools matinees - 6 & 7 December. I haven’t seen any casting details for these extra performances and it will be interesting to see who’s cast: the performances are a few weeks before those dancers scheduled for just one SPF/Prince performance and normally dancers tend not to have too long between their performances.

I’m assuming there are two casts for Dante as there’s a matinee and evening performance on 2 December but there’s no indication so far as to which performances are cast 1 and cast 2 so at the moment it’s pot luck if people are wishing to see both casts (unless booking for the 2 December double).

That rather begs the question if they can do it for 22/23 why not for 23/34! I can't book until the 6th July so hopefully more information may be forthcoming before then!

Edited by MJW
  • Like 2

Guest oncnp

Principal casting on website for DonQ and Nutcracker but no seat maps yet.

Edited by oncnp

10 hours ago, oncnp said:

Principal casting on website for DonQ and Nutcracker but no seat maps yet.

Nutcracker: A clever move to put Nela & Vadim on in January as these are traditionally the harder seats to shift.

Interesting to see that both William Bracewell & Mayara Magri are doubling up with two partners each. 
Of course, with Nutcracker, often one only knows who is actually dancing when the overture starts. 

• Like 4

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Nutcracker: A clever move to put Nela & Vadim on in January as these are traditionally the harder seats to shift.

or given how much guesting they both do, and the lead times involved, they might be otherwise engaged earlier in the run 

11 minutes ago, oncnp said:

or given how much guesting they both do, and the lead times involved, they might be otherwise engaged earlier in the run 

Again that would be a break in tradition as, in my memory at least, they usually front up the Nutcracker season. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Surely even Nela and Vadim wouldn’t be able to declare themselves unavailable in December because of guesting commitments.  I would’ve thought that the needs of the RB would be paramount.  It may be, as PeterS suggests that the RB want to boost post Christmas sales of the Nutcracker.

Edited by Nina99
  • Like 2

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

Surely even Nela and Vadim wouldn’t be able to declare themselves unavailable in December because of guesting commitments.  I would’ve thought that the needs of the RB would be paramount.  It may be, as PeterS suggests that they want to boost post Christmas sales of the Nutcracker.

Might well be. Or could just as well be KOH accommodating his artist. Osipova seems to come and go at will. Anyway, we'll know in December.  

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp

While looking for seat maps, I noticed the ROH has put links to dancers' profiles (assuming they have one) in the casting lists. Have they always done this and I've just missed it? 

56 minutes ago, oncnp said:

While looking for seat maps, I noticed the ROH has put links to dancers' profiles (assuming they have one) in the casting lists. Have they always done this and I've just missed it? 

The casting list links to dancers' profiles were certainly on the old ROH website. I'm not sure when they disappeared.  Maybe when they started to revamp the website?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oncnp said:

They always had it previously, but the function/option has been out of action for so long (I kept getting the error page or the one that goes to People that gives no further information) while they were spending forever updating profiles that I gave up trying to click it.

On the old website they also told us when the dancer’s/singer’s/conductor’s next ROH performance was, as well as the recent roles they had just finished performing, but they don’t have that now, which is a pity. 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2023 at 20:25, Dawnstar said:

I agree with you on that @MJW, given they each get more stage time than the SPF & Prince!

A few random thoughts:

Don Q: good to see Acri getting to do Basilio. I wasn't expecting an Osipova/Sambe pairing. I wonder why Campbell's not doing Basilio? Hirano's presumably sticking to Espada again. Hayward's presumably decided not to give Kitri a go. When did Lamb last do Kitri? I know she didn't in the last run so I'm not that surprised that she's not doing it this time.

The Cellist: I hadn't intended to see this again but as Magri's dancing I now feel I'll have to! (Annoyingly for me, for the 2nd year running her making a role debut clashes with me already being booked to see ETO.)

The Nutcracker: great to see Buvoli getting to make her SPF debut. I can't say I was expecting that. Hinkis isn't marked as a debut but she wasn't actually able to dance it this season, was she? (Unfortunately with both of them only dancing on New Year's Day I bet the trains won't let me see them.) No Osipova, which I can only think is her decision.

Sarah Lamb danced Kitri with Federico Bonelli in the premiere run in 2013 and they both danced it again in the second run, in January 2015, and her last performance of Kitri was with Steven McRae in late January 2015 (an guessing McRae was replacing Bonelli, as McRae had been cast with Salenko earlier on). Am really disappointed Lamb hasn’t been/isn’t being cast since 2015, as I had to miss her performances due to schedule clashes and each time I hoped we could see her the next time round. 

I think it would have been nice to have Hirano cast as Basilio- he certainly has the technique, like Ball, Bracewell and Clarke, for the role in this production - I think he’s rather typecast as Espada now! Glad to see Luca Acri being cast as Basilio too - he’s danced the role in a full length performance in Japan (guesting with Miki Mizutani from BRB!) but not in Britain so far. A pity not to see Osipova in Nutcracker this year; I too am assuming it’s her decision/her guesting commitments or other projects.  Am still not seeing the casts I think would be good/I would like in Nutcracker, but on the plus side, it will save me some money.....! 

Betting opens for when Dante Project casting info will finally appear.  (No money involved; the prize/winnings will be the satisfaction of saying “I was right” or “I was closest” 😁). I am wagering two weeks before the first performance. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
16 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

S. A pity not to see Osipova in Nutcracker this year; I too am assuming it’s her decision/her guesting commitments or other projects.  Am still not seeing the casts I think would be good/I would like in Nutcracker, but on the plus side, it will save me some money.....! 

Osipova is scheduled to dance Bayadere in Buenos Aires, on Dec 17 and 20 so perhaps couldn't fit Nutcracker in. 

19 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Osipova is scheduled to dance Bayadere in Buenos Aires, on Dec 17 and 20 so perhaps couldn't fit Nutcracker in. 

It almost looks like they initially thought maybe she could fit Nutcracker in (after Bayadere) during January on the 9th and the 13th of January, with Reece Clarke, but then changed plans and got Mayara Magri to dance two more. (This is my guess, not any insider info, folks. 😉)

Of course, Natalia does have four Don Qs (more than anyone else) so she’s not being deprived of stage appearances. 😄 And the finance department would probably say that if Natalia doesn’t mind which classic she does/doesn’t dance, she will help the RB revenue more by doing two extra shows of Don Q than two shows of Nutcracker (which generally sells out regardless of casting).....

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

I also assumed it was a clever move by ROH to put Nela/Vadim post Christmas for Nutcracker to ensure those sell well.

That aside it’s good to mix up who opens which show and those two do get a lot of first nights! 

I’m glad Osipova has four DQs as I imagine she will be (one of) the most popular casting choices for that! Good to see a mix up of partnership as well with Sambe. I’m not sure I’d see them together in a classical (tutu) ballet but maybe their Giselle could be interesting…(let’s see how DQ goes first!)

• Like 2

On 14/06/2023 at 18:31, JNC said:

I also assumed it was a clever move by ROH to put Nela/Vadim post Christmas for Nutcracker to ensure those sell well

I've just seen on Instagram that they're dancing The Sleeping Beauty in Tokyo on the 2nd & 3rd December, so that explains why they're doing Nutcracker post Christmas 

• Like 2

On 03/06/2023 at 12:39, Candleque said:

Agree. Thrilled for Mr Acri; he deserves this starring role.

100%. I can't wait to see him as Basilio.

All the Don Quixote casts are just brilliant, I would like to see all of them if that were possible. It will be my first time seeing the RB version live. My first time seeing DQ live was the BRB performances in Sadler's Wells last summer - a very enjoyable experience and managed to catch two of those!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Trying hard to copy some casting just received so Nutcracker to follow. Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

The main news regarding Don Q is that Matthew Ball will replace Cesar Corrales at both Cesar's performances. Reece Clarke replaces Cesar in The Nutcracker.

THE DANTE PROJECT Dante
Saturday 18 November 7pm: William Bracewell*
Wednesday 22 November 7.30pm: Ryoichi Hirano*
Saturday 25 November 7.30pm: William Bracewell
Monday 27 November 7.30pm: Ryoichi Hirano
Wednesday 29th November 7.30pm: William Bracewell
Friday 1st December 7.30pm: Ryoichi Hirano
Saturday 2nd December 1pm: William Bracewell
Saturday 2nd December 7pm: Ryoichi Hirano

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 10

Trying hard to copy the rest.........

THE NUTCRACKER The Sugar Plum Fairy, The Prince, Clara, Hans Peter, Drosselmeyer
Wednesday 6 December 12.30pm (Schools Matinee): Meaghan Grace Hinkis*, Valentino
Zucchetti, Bomin Kim*, Giacomo Rovero*, Thomas Whitehead
Wednesday 6 December 7.30pm: Fumi Kaneko, William Bracewell, Sae Maeda, Joseph
Sissens, Gary Avis
Thursday 7 December 12.30pm (Schools Matinee): Yuhui Choe, Benjamin Ella, Marianna
Tsembenhoi*, Joshua Junker, Gary Avis
Thursday 7 December 7.30pm (AV1): Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Marcelino Sambé, Sophie
Allnatt, Leo Dixon, Thomas Whitehead
Saturday 9 December 1pm (Paul Hamlyn Christmas Treat): Mariko Sasaki, Joseph Sissens,
Viola Pantuso*, James Hay, Gary Avis
Saturday 9 December 7pm: Fumi Kaneko, William Bracewell, Sophie Allnatt, Leo Dixon,
Thomas Whitehead
Tuesday 12 December 7.30pm (Cinema Live Relay): Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Marcelino
Sambé, Sophie Allnatt, Leo Dixon, Thomas Whitehead
Thursday 14 December 7.30pm: Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell, Sae Maeda,
Joseph Sissens, Gary Avis
Monday 18 December 7.30pm: Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Meaghan Grace Hinkis,
Valentino Zucchetti, Bennet Gartside
Tuesday 19 December 7.30pm: Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Viola Pantuso, James Hay,
Gary Avis
Wednesday 20 December 12.30pm: Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell, Ashley Dean,
Benjamin Ella, Bennet Gartside
Thursday 21 December 1.30pm: Mayara Magri, Reece Clarke**, Sae Maeda, Joseph
Sissens, Gary Avis
Thursday 21 December 7.30pm: Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell, Leticia Stock,
Taisuke Nakao, Thomas Whitehead

Please see a further post for the remainder of The Nutcracker run

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 15

Friday 22 December 1.30pm:  Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Valentino Zucchetti, Bennet Gartside  

Friday 22 December 7.30pm: Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Viola Pantuso, James Hay, Gary Avis  

Saturday 23 December 12.30pm: Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell, Ashley Dean, Benjamin Ella, Bennet Gartside

Wednesday 27 December 1.30pm: Mariko Sasaki, Joseph Sissens, Bomin Kim, Giacomo Rovero, Thomas Whitehead  

Wednesday 27 December 7.30pm: Leticia Dias, Calvin Richardson, Ashley Dean, Benjamin Ella, Bennet Gartside

Friday 29 December 7.30pm: Mayara Magri, Reece Clarke**, Isabella Gasparini, Luca Acri, Bennet Gartside  

Monday 1 January 1.30pm: Annette Buvoli*, Nicol Edmonds, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Joshua Junker, Gary Avis  

Monday 1 January 7.30pm: Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Valentino Zucchetti, Leticia Stock, Taisuke Nakao, Thomas Whitehead  

Wednesday 3 January 7.30pm: Yuhui Choe, Benjamin Ella, Leticia Stock, Taisuke Nakao, Thomas Whitehead  

Thursday 4 January 7.30pm: Akane Takada, Ryoichi Hirano, Isabella Gasparini, Luca Acri, Bennet Gartside

Friday 5 January 7.30pm: Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov, Madison Bailey, Liam Boswell, Gary Avis  

Tuesday 9 January 7.30pm: Mayara Magri, Reece Clarke, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Joshua Junker, Thomas Whitehead  

Wednesday 10 January 7.30pm: Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov, Madison Bailey, Liam Boswell, Gary Avis  

Thursday 11 January 7.30pm: Akane Takada, Ryoichi Hirano, Isabella Gasparini, Luca Acri, Bennet Gartside

Saturday 13 January 7.30: Mayara Magri, Reece Clarke, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Valentino Zucchetti, Bennet Gartside  

* role debut  † guest artist ** cast change

Edited by capybara
Trying to improve the layout!!!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 14

Thank you, capybara. Frustrating to find that I'd booked for the only Clara I don't want to see... so I've just returned that ticket and booked a different date (inc Gary Avis, who was also not on the date I'd booked). Waste of £4 which given prices now is, I suppose, nothing; but still a waste when this info would normally have been available earlier.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Now if they could just update the website....

Well, I copied and pasted the information here (and messed up my PC in the process) because, when I looked at the website, the information wasn't yet there.

Very upset for Cesar Corrales who has been substituted through to the end of this year 😪

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The main news regarding Don Q is that Matthew Ball will replace Cesar Corrales at both Cesar's performances.

28 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Waste of £4 which given prices now is, I suppose, nothing; but still a waste when this info would normally have been available earlier.

I can't understand why, if they can provide the casting information now, they couldn't have provided it a mere 3 days earlier before public booking! If only I'd known that Don Q cast change I would have tried to get a ticket for the one public performance that Magri will now be dancing with Ball instead of booking for Ball with Naghdi.

I'm quite happy that I'll see Hinkis & Zuchetti for the performance I have already booked, as I've not seen them in the roles before, so at least that's worked out booking blind. I would have preferred Avis as Drosselmeyer, for my friend seeing it for the first time, but you can't have it all!

Are there really only 3 Drosselmeyers this season? No sign of Saunders. I wonder when they're going to start bringing in some new Drosselmyers, as it feels like only 3 dancers for nearly 30 performances doesn't leave much wriggle-room if anyone gets injured or ill.

I'm pleased to see Pantuso & Tsembenhoi making their Clara debuts. They were top of my list for future Claras! Not that I can afford to book to see them, given the Nutcracker prices...

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 10

Thankyou so much for taking all this trouble Capybara 🙂

I am really disappointed for Cesar 😥but he has said that before he has often come back too soon from injury so let’s hope he is now taking his proper time to recover and we can see him fully fit soon. 
I really think he and Mayara would have been an absolute wow in Don Q. 

However I’ve struck lucky with “their” Nutcracker as Mayara is now dancing with Reece ( haven’t seen him for ages) and all the rest of the casting for that day is perfect!!! 
I’ve got another Nutcracker to choose and the casting now helps that….but what to choose lol!! 
So pleased to see Viola Pantuso in a debut Clara ….just can’t decide on Sugar Plum!!! 

• Like 8