Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Hopefully they will release casting for the Nutcracker/Hans-Peter, Clara and Drosselmeyer before booking opens - my decision over dates depends more on them!

• Like 9

I agree with you on that @MJW, given they each get more stage time than the SPF & Prince!

A few random thoughts:

Don Q: good to see Acri getting to do Basilio. I wasn't expecting an Osipova/Sambe pairing. I wonder why Campbell's not doing Basilio? Hirano's presumably sticking to Espada again. Hayward's presumably decided not to give Kitri a go. When did Lamb last do Kitri? I know she didn't in the last run so I'm not that surprised that she's not doing it this time.

The Cellist: I hadn't intended to see this again but as Magri's dancing I now feel I'll have to! (Annoyingly for me, for the 2nd year running her making a role debut clashes with me already being booked to see ETO.)

The Nutcracker: great to see Buvoli getting to make her SPF debut. I can't say I was expecting that. Hinkis isn't marked as a debut but she wasn't actually able to dance it this season, was she? (Unfortunately with both of them only dancing on New Year's Day I bet the trains won't let me see them.) No Osipova, which I can only think is her decision.

• Like 9

Don Q

- Osipova gets 4 shows, 2 each with Sambe and Clarke

(I remember Sambe was supposed to do Nureyev gala with Osipova before injury) 

- Nuñez/Muntagirov and O’Sullivan/McRae get 3 each

- the others get 2

- Magri/Corrales get cinema relay (good choice in my opinion) 

Edited by FionaE
Add Info on Sambe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Don Q: good to see Acri getting to do Basilio

Yes, he is such a good dancer. The only non-Principal to be  cast  in the role, unless a promotion is in the offing,  which would suprise me, with all due respect to him!

• Like 5

Ugh, wanted to see Osipova's Kitri live as may be my only chance, now I have to decide between Sambe and Clarke! I've not seen Sambe do it but would guess he'd be very good? Not sure I can really see Clarke as Basilio but he seems to have been working a lot on the bravura side of things, and looks good (on instagram at least, not seen him in person for a while). Plus he's her regular partner so they already have the chemistry... Decisions, decisions! Am very happy Magri's doing the relay as can't afford much ROH this year and really wanted to see her. Is it odd that Cesar's doing the cinema in his debut run? Guessing he's done it many times away from ROH though, definitely a role I'd expect to suit him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes, he is such a good dancer. The only non-Principal to be  cast  in the role, unless a promotion is in the offing,  which would suprise me, with all due respect to him!

....and thinking about this, if looked at purely in terms of the Company ranking of her partners,  Akane might be seen as rather getting  the short straw recently, with First Soloists dancing with her in Cinderella, The Sleeping Beauty and now Don Q. 

11 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

....and thinking about this, if looked at purely in terms of the Company ranking of her partners,  Akane might be seen as rather getting  the short straw recently, with First Soloists dancing with her in Cinderella, The Sleeping Beauty and now Don Q. 

She was supposed to do Cinderella with Sambe though, until he got injured, so I'm not sure that one counts.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

……which rather goes to show what good First Soloists the RB has.

The Takada/Acri combo is going to be super in Don Q.

• Like 9

Guest oncnp
2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I. I wonder why Campbell's not doing Basilio? ......Hayward's presumably decided not to give Kitri a go.

Campbell and Hayward are dancing "The Limit" (choreography by Kristen McNally) in the Linbury during the latter part of Oct and it is being produced by Campbell's company.

Another consideration (or not) is that during the Autumn season Campbell and Claire Calvert should (all things going well) be new parents so he may be choosing to spend more time with his family

Edited by oncnp

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

She was supposed to do Cinderella with Sambe though, until he got injured, so I'm not sure that one counts.

Good point @Dawnstar..I had forgotten that.

11 minutes ago, capybara said:

……which rather goes to show what good First Soloists the RB has.

The Takada/Acri combo is going to be super in Don Q.

Yes I do agree @capybara, these were all  excellent First Soloist partners, and I am looking forward to Takada/Acri very much. I can't immediately recall them dancing together before? 

Also I was thinking Takada/Hay would have been great..has James danced the role before?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJW said:

Hopefully they will release casting for the Nutcracker/Hans-Peter, Clara and Drosselmeyer before booking opens - my decision over dates depends more on them!

Me too MJW. That's exactly what I thought when I saw the Nutcracker casting. 

Am pleased there are several Saturday double performances of Don Q which is great for seeing a variety of casts while also cutting back on the travel and accommodation expenses. Still looks to be an expensive autumn, and spring won't be any better with Manon and Swan Lake. Don't know when I'm going to start saving for the Ashton next summer!

• Like 2

I’m sorry this has probably already been asked before but is there a way to see the pricing map on the website before tickets sales are live?

Interested in the pricing/bands for Don Quixote!

Very intrigued by the Sambe/Osipova pairing! 

Guest oncnp
14 minutes ago, JNC said:

I’m sorry this has probably already been asked before but is there a way to see the pricing map on the website before tickets sales are live?

Interested in the pricing/bands for Don Quixote!

Very intrigued by the Sambe/Osipova pairing! 

As far as I can tell, the seat maps are not up yet but usually are before booking starts. I e-mailed the box office weeks ago to ask when they would be published and got a very nice answer indicating the person had no idea what a seat map was. 

Edited by oncnp

8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

....and she was also paired with Sambe in the first tranche of SB too before her own injury...so that doesn't really count either!

I suppose all that has happened is that they needed to look further afield as her last Don Q partner, Alex Campbell, is not available this time as discussed above... Sambe would have been a possibility again but two rounds with Osipova was perhaps judged to be enough! Anyway, very pleased  Luca Acri is getting a debut.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3

I think Magri/Corralles has potential for some fireworks. Good it's being relayed. That's the one I'd like to see most. Hope to see a few shows but do we know how extortionate the ticket prices will be as that'll ultimately be the deciding factor? I just hope they're not too OTT. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

I think Magri/Corralles has potential for some fireworks. Good it's being relayed. That's the one I'd like to see most. Hope to see a few shows but do we know how extortionate the ticket prices will be as that'll ultimately be the deciding factor? I just hope they're not too OTT. 

This was posted in another thread (not sure if there's been later info/confirmation):

On 12/05/2023 at 20:25, Lizbie1 said:

Don Q pricing is (no seat maps!):

Stalls: £150, £125, £104

SC far sides: £52, £36, £26, £14

SC: £150, £125, £104, £83, £67, £52, £36, £26

Grand Tier: £150

GT boxes: £150, £104, £67

Balcony: £125, £104, £83, £52, £26

Balcony boxes: £52

Slips: £26, £14

Amphi: £104, £83, £67, £52, £36, £26, £14

(Copied manually so there may be the odd error!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks both! This forum is great for this information but if you’re not part of it I just think ROH should provide this information on its website so people can roughly plan how much they can/want to spend in advance of booking opening! 

• Like 4

Guest oncnp
8 minutes ago, JNC said:

Thanks both! This forum is great for this information but if you’re not part of it I just think ROH should provide this information on its website so people can roughly plan how much they can/want to spend in advance of booking opening! 

And it will be. The only group booking now are Patrons, with Friends booking not starting until 27 June. General booking starts 2 Aug so they have time

I'll remind Forum members that AusBallet opens its Melbourne season of Identity on 16 June. Today, June 3, we do not yet have casting available 🙄. I want to know which alumni and current company members I'll be seeing!

For Jewels, which opens on 29 June, and for which arguably casting is more important to know, naturally we do not yet have any casting available 😔.

Edited by Sophoife
Added emojis
  • Like 1

If those prices are correct although still very expensive are not in the very highest excesses of this seasons prices at least. But over £100 is still excessive for the front Amphi I think. 

The Magri/Corrales pairing is my no. One for this ballet but think I’d have to see Kaneko/Bracewell as well. 
I’m not sure if this is really quite the right attitude but nevertheless quite a few years ago now I saw Osipova partnered with Vasiliev and that performance was just SO amazing and extraordinary that I feel I can’t see her again in Don Q in case it spoils the memory!!
However if anyone has not seen her in this role then not to be missed and think the Sambe pairing will be great. 

For me there’s also the Takada/ Acri pairing and Naghdi/Ball pairing so something has to give somewhere!! 

I might have to spread the booking over a few months and hope there are still tickets when go to book! 

• Like 8

But the big question is will the general public want to pay that much for DQ? Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, (and to some extent Beauty but less so than the others?) will sell for higher prices. 

I can’t remember how well DQ sold last time but it’s also irrelevant to a point as the prices were much much lower then I think (at a memory guess I’d say around 30% less, although I’ve not seen the banding yet but I’d hazard a guess I paid around £30 for the amphi ticket that is now £52). 

In any case very excited for Osipova and Sambe. I also think Magri and Corrales is a good partnership (I very much enjoyed their Coppelia) so pleased to see they get the cinema relay and a matinee so I will try and catch one of those! 

I’m glad Osipova gets 4 performances as I imagine she will be the most popular to book for. Not surprised Nela and Vadim get 3 as well given their popularity also. Interesting that O’Sullivan/McRae are the other couple to get more than 2 though, particularly as it’s a debut for O’Sullivan. 

Also good to see Acri get a principal role, I’d guess he would work well with Takada. 

• Like 5

I can understand that Linmm about Vasipova. Those were the days! Have seen her since and it's just never the same without Vasiliev. Nothing can come close. It's like having chippy chips without the chippy vinegar 😞

• Like 6

Also she was quite a bit younger then! 

I’ve just realised it could have been ten  years ago already!! 
Admittedly it was the first time I’d ever seen her (well either of them) at the time and had never seen such an exciting performance of Don Q!
I’ve loved her ever since. 

On this occasion though there’s only so many times I can go so looks like will have to give her a miss to see others still not seen in the role. 

• Like 2

Yes Vasipova was one of my great all time balletgoing experiences, possibly only exceeded by Vadim's Mayerling.  They were incredible together, all the more so as at that time (early 21st century) we hadn't had a lot of the virtuoso male dancing we now take for granted, with the possible exception of Acosta and Mukhamedov. Also the two of them had such fizz and charisma together. This is why I'm surprised the RB haven't filmed Osipova in Don Q as her name is synonymous with Kitri. Her performing it with Sambe would seem to be an ideal opportunity as they should be terrific. I'd rather hoped she would perform it with Coralles as they were so tremendous together in Laurencia. However, I do think he'll be wonderful with Magri, and really pleased they're both doing their main role cinema debuts together.

Is it Naghdi/Ball debuts ogether as well? I thought Yasmine did it with Sambe last time and wasn't totally convinced  by it because of the height difference.  Will be great to see Naghdi/Ball together. 

Also pleased Luca Acri is getting a principal role at last.  He was never really on my radar until Cinderella, but I loved his stepsister and saw him at the stage door looking really pleased with his flowers so will be good to see him in a major role.

Hope there will be some standing tickets left by the time Friends booking opens. Do they hold any back for ordinary Friends or public booking or don't they bother now?

• Like 4