ROH World Ballet Day 2022

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, PeterS said:

some of the subtitling is hilarious especially if, like me, one is unfamiliar with ballet terminology 

I find them even more hilarious knowing what the actual ballet terms are supposed to be 😆😂.

If you add names of ballets and French, Italian. or Russian names of choreographers and dancers in as well, the chaotic soup of neologisms is even more hilarious. I get them on my browser when the Royal Ballet Insights are streamed too- if I expand it to full screen, the mumbo jumbo is gone, but so is the unintentional hilarity!  Ah, the delights of tech. 😆😂🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Just catching up with the RB stream after a very long work day.

Pressing thought; what a really exquisite dancer James Hay is.

agree.   Delighted to see James in the ‘For Four’ piece alongside principals Ball, Sambe and Muntagirov.   He impressed me.   

Anyone know why he is replacing Corrales who was originally cast in this? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sim said:

I am just catching up and I must admit I am so distracted by the hilarity of the subtitles that I am missing a lot of content!!  :)  I will probably watch again with them switched off!!  

I laughed so hard that I could not take it seriously, so I had to rewatch and turn off the subtitles. By the time 'mushroom' kept appearing I literally was crying with laughter! 🤣

• Like 2

I like the thought of guest dancers, not as something ‘better’ just as something different. I would love to see Muntagirov dance with Celine Gittens and envy audiences in Plymouth who will be doing so; I say that as a great admirer of BRB’s dancers. My mind is wandering now, pondering other cross-company pairings I would love to see…

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

It is more the touting coupled with the zoom remarks…

Janet is right - the Facebook post is sycophantic (more extreme than the one MaddieRose has posted here) to the point of being surreal. I mean, Vadim is brilliant and all, and it’s possibly his debut in Plymouth which is sweet  (presumably he didn’t cover it when he toured with ENB), but he’s not infallible or Superman, although he’s definitely a special artist and hugely popular.

BRB’s men have always been a very strong and technically proficient group, comparable with or surpassing the best companies in the world eg, RDB, Bolshoi, ABT, etc (so much so that other companies have “poached” BRB’s danseurs! - RB, ENB, SFB etc). Whether the reason is that the men have a heavy workload coming up or someone is taking a leave of absence for another project or other commitment, guest artists do bring something positive to all companies, not just BRB, but it could have been worded better. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FionaE said:

Anyone know why he is replacing Corrales who was originally cast in this? 

Corrales too busy modelling £5000 coats?

🤣

Just joking…….no idea!

Most of the WBD focus during the For Four segment was on James, which was nice to see.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, emmarose said:

Is this not always the way when a big star guests? They always make a big fuss over them, no?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I can remember Carlos Acosta himself guesting with AusBallet (2008) in a Jerome Robbins mixed bill (The Cage, Afternoon of a Faun, A Suite of Dances, The Concert ) and they didn't announce it until the week before. I waited at stage door and he signed my programme, but he was slightly amazed at my being there as he said I was the only person he'd met and I said "it's not Floral Street you know" (stage door in Melbourne is very well hidden) and he laughed and said "no!"

So interesting though as I saw both the matinée and evening shows that day and it really demonstrated how different casts produce completely different feelings...matinée was Luke Ingham (principal at SFB these days) and Stephanie Williams (recently retired from ABT) and they were very young and it was very innocent and sweet. Evening was Acosta and Kirsty Martin and it was sexy as hell.

• Like 5

Loving the views on RB guesting with BRB. It is a fascinating new feature of our ballet world (new to me, anyway). I remember Muntagirov from his ENB days, dancing Nutcracker with Alina Cojocaru in Liverpool ! At least this new development allows us in the 'regions' to see RB dancers actually in the regions. But I fully agree also that BRB has wonderful dancers that are (and have long been) quite the equal of RB.  

Loving this forum and I'd forgotten about world ballet day, off to browse now. 

Edited by northstar
  • Like 4

I really like having guest dancers, especially from abroad, because it gives us the chance to see great dancers we might not otherwise see.  If it doesn’t happen too often, it’s very exciting when it does!  

• Like 5

On 02/11/2022 at 21:19, Jamesrhblack said:

Just catching up with the RB stream after a very long work day.

Pressing thought; what a really exquisite dancer James Hay is.

Yesss! I loved watching him in the RB’s morning class - his jumps 😮😮😮🔥

• Like 3

On 02/11/2022 at 16:51, Sim said:

I am just catching up and I must admit I am so distracted by the hilarity of the subtitles that I am missing a lot of content!!  :)  I will probably watch again with them switched off!!  

Hard to keep a straight face when you read about the "coup de PA" and see dancers being told to use their to use their "porter bra..."

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Talking of guest dancers, maybe we could see one or two from BRB at Covent Garden occasionally? 🙂

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I’d be very happy to see the likes of the divine Brandon Lawrence any time on the Covent Garden stage!! 

The last time I can remember a BRB dancer performing with the main company it was Robert Parker so probably at least 15 years ago.

35 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The last time I can remember a BRB dancer performing with the main company it was Robert Parker so probably at least 15 years ago.

Not guesting but there were, of course, dancers from BRB along with RB, Northern, Scottish and ENB in Elite Syncopations during the 2017 MacMillan celebrations at the ROH.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BALLET ASSOCIATION said:

I believe that James is 'in', which is super.

The casting on the website has been changed to include him. 

1 hour ago, SPD444 said:

I heard it mentioned the date that Water for Chocolate will be streamed to cinemas by one of the announcers, does anyone recall the date please.

I think it was originally supposed to be January - not sure if that is still the date.

A bit of a long way back but there is a reference to James Hays jumps in the Royal Ballet streamed class on Wednesday but as far as I could see(only just watched) James Hay disappeared after the initial centre work so wasn’t there by the time the jumps started happening. Or have I got that wrong 🤔

The person jumping their heart out was Joe Sissens as I think he went across more times than some!! 
It was good to see Darrion Sellman who joined RB from the Prix already in class with the Company. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sim said:

I really like having guest dancers, especially from abroad, because it gives us the chance to see great dancers we might not otherwise see.  If it doesn’t happen too often, it’s very exciting when it does!  

Me too - I would love to see some French stars- Mathieu Ganio or Hugo Marchand...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sim said:

Thikning about it, the only downside is when you love a guest dancer from abroad & want to see them again but can't. I loved Timofej Andrijashenko when he jumped-in as Romeo back in 2019 but, as he dances at La Scala, I may never get the opportunity to see him dance live again. I was also very impressed by Alexandr Trusch in the Ukrainian Giselle in September but again, as he dances in Hamburg, the likelihood of me getting to see him again is low.

I've just started catching up on the RB's WBD stream. As is always the case when seeing the classes streamed I'm wishing there were captions to say who all the dancers are as I can't put names to all of them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thikning about it, the only downside is when you love a guest dancer from abroad & want to see them again but can't. I loved Timofej Andrijashenko when he jumped-in as Romeo back in 2019

With Nunez in May 2019?