English National Ballet - change of leadership discussion

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rojo always made it plain while she was still performing that an AD role was what she wanted in the future.  I was delighted when she was offered the role at ENB, and have really enjoyed ENB's performances since then.  

I do hope the new AD continues her work.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, prs59 said:

With hubby Isaac Hernandez going too, there’s an opening for a lead principal at ENB. Suggestions?

If they were to promote a dancer already in the company, rather than bring one in from outside, then I would suggest Aitor Arrieta & Ken Saruhashi are probably the main candidates, based on recent lead role casting.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If they were to promote a dancer already in the company, rather than bring one in from outside, then I would suggest Aitor Arrieta & Ken Saruhashi are probably the main candidates, based on recent lead role casting.

I very much like the idea of internal promotions and, arguably, there has not been enough of that at ENB.

(Apologies, my first response was as if they were being put forward to be the AD.)

Edited by capybara
Mistaken response 🤭
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Just as a question, because I did not follow his interviews or the articles about his farewell very intensely: did Edward Watson ever show interest in directing a company?

I'm not aware of anything he's said which would indicate that he might want to run a company.

Just now, capybara said:

Both Aitor and Ken are young and focused on their dancing.

I think we're getting confused here: presumably Dawnstar was talking about promotions - although my immediate reaction was the same as yours :) 

48 minutes ago, alison said:

I think we're getting confused here: presumably Dawnstar was talking about promotions - although my immediate reaction was the same as yours :) 

I was responding to @prs59's comment about possible replacements for Hernandez as Principal. I have no ideas about possible replacements for Rojo, except to hope they select someone who will incline much more towards the classical style than the contemporary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

I understand the thinking, but I have to say that I find Durante puzzling. She often says 'we' when talking about her plans and activities, and my impression is that she tends to speak in rather bland generalisations. Maybe she's just not very good at vocalising her thoughts (but that's not great for an AD). Or maybe she has a good team around her that enables her to take plans forward (though her recent projects have been interesting but not problem-free). Either way I'd be a bit nervous if she was appointed to ENB.

Also understand your thinking - needless to say the selection committee will have a tough job!

What I love about Tamara Rojo is her very clear vision, articulates it well and I believe has has a very strong idea as to how to enable it. It will be interesting to see what the individual ideas for development are for those who decide to apply for the role and whether they have such clarity and determination.

• Like 4

I was sorry (selfishly, for me) to hear this news whilst simultaneously very pleased for Ms Rojo that she has been given this exciting and well-deserved opportunity. She will leave the ENB in a very good place. I shall miss her input and I shall also miss seeing Isaac Hernandez dance; I have always enjoyed his performances.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Would Iain Webb be on the mature side if ENB are looking longer term?

I believe people commented on that when there was speculation that he might be interested in BRB when SDB retired in 2019.

Also, I think Ashton is somewhat out of fashion in the UK in general and at ENB in particular. There weren't any Ashton ballets to speak of in the ENB repertoire under Rojo, if I remember right; it'd be a heck of a culture shock to bring Iain Webb in now.

• Like 2

A lot of these suggestions have a very RB flavour to them.

From within the company I can think of a few possibles - there's Loipa Araujo (the assistant AD), Stina Quagebeur (if they want a choreographer) or among senior dancers, would someone like Jeffrey Cirio be interested? IIRC he's done some projects of his own. He might still be a bit young to want to focus less on his dancing, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melody said:

Also, I think Ashton is somewhat out of fashion in the UK in general and at ENB in particular. There weren't any Ashton ballets to speak of in the ENB repertoire under Rojo, if I remember right; 

Were there any under her predecessors, post-Schaufuss?  I'm trying to remember, but none seem to be coming to mind at present.

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

... among senior dancers, would someone like Jeffrey Cirio be interested? IIRC he's done some projects of his own. He might still be a bit young to want to focus less on his dancing, though.

I wouldn't want him to focus less on his dancing just yet, either!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I find it interesting in the article that it says the announcement about the new director will be made in the next few weeks...

The statement that the new director will be announced in the next few weeks has now been removed from the Times article referred to here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

From within the company I can think of a few possibles - there's Loipa Araujo (the assistant AD), Stina Quagebeur (if they want a choreographer) or among senior dancers, would someone like Jeffrey Cirio be interested? IIRC he's done some projects of his own. He might still be a bit young to want to focus less on his dancing, though.

Loipa Araujo celebrated her 80th birthday recently. Kerry Nicholls is also, now, an Associate Director (for Artistic Development) - a very recent appointment.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Tamara on the new San Francisco job; I'm sure both parties will benefit enormously. I hadn't clocked she had been with ENB for 10 years (where has the time gone?), but they will miss her & may struggle to replace her given the wide array of skills she has. These days it's not just rep & casting decisions, but financial, legal, commercial, IT, marketing awareness together with her ENB admin colleagues on a very tight budget compared the RB. She's also probably uniquely places in terms of networking & connections within the creative industries & government. Finding another person with all these skills & hopefully a high media profile is a task I'm glad not to be responsible for!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Cirio just turned 30. I doubt he would be ready to stop dancing quite yet.

• Like 1

Having read through all these imaginative suggestions, I would add that although dancers have unique insights they do not generally have a high level of general, managerial or financial education.  Most of them are probably not particularly suited to business positions. Dancers have had a lifetime of a very narrow, focused discipline which enables them to perform on stage to the benefit and admiration of us in the audience - their dedication is something that I applaud and am amazed by.  However they are not generally suited to leading an important ballet company.  My wish would be for someone of sound communication, commercial and leadership qualities to be appointed so long as they would also listen to what the dancers have to say on the artistic front.  The ENB deserves the best - their performances that I have seen have always exceeded expectation.

Well done Rojo for your achievements thus far, and may the goddess Terpsichore guide those in 'power' to provide a suitable replacement.

• Like 2

I think Leanne Benjamin does have the right qualities for this job but it is a big undertaking. Bussell would have the good connections also useful for this job for getting sponsorships etc. 
A friend even suggested Steven McCrae because apparently he has business degrees or qualifications. 
Whoever it is the most important qualification for me would be that they have actually trained in Classical Dance and genuinely love the Art form so keen to build on what ENB has already as a Company. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Having read through all these imaginative suggestions, I would add that although dancers have unique insights they do not generally have a high level of general, managerial or financial education.  Most of them are probably not particularly suited to business positions. Dancers have had a lifetime of a very narrow, focused discipline which enables them to perform on stage to the benefit and admiration of us in the audience - their dedication is something that I applaud and am amazed by.  However they are not generally suited to leading an important ballet company.  My wish would be for someone of sound communication, commercial and leadership qualities to be appointed so long as they would also listen to what the dancers have to say on the artistic front.  The ENB deserves the best - their performances that I have seen have always exceeded expectation.

Well done Rojo for your achievements thus far, and may the goddess Terpsichore guide those in 'power' to provide a suitable replacement.

Many ballet companies here in the states have connections to universities which enable dancers to take business classes. I know many who have gotten or are getting their degrees while dancing.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Well - the obvious riposte to that is that Rojo managed it, a couple of bumps in the road aside, as has Kevin O'Hare and nearly every successful ballet company AD. Some of them went through intermediate stages of administration or leadership, but plenty of active dancers have taken courses in arts administration or dipped their toes in the water of putting together events. Presumably this is with an eye to a future on the other side of the fence.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

I think Leanne Benjamin does have the right qualities for this job but it is a big undertaking. Bussell would have the good connections also useful for this job for getting sponsorships etc. 
A friend even suggested Steven McCrae because apparently he has business degrees or qualifications. 
Whoever it is the most important qualification for me would be that they have actually trained in Classical Dance and genuinely love the Art form so keen to build on what ENB has already as a Company. 

I’d thought about McRae too!! He certainly has been building qualifications & a profile beyond performance! 

To add, ENB like any corporation presumably is stuffed full of business talent as must have a Chairman, a board of Directors & teams of employees all with the relevant business/finance & marketing qualifications, skills & experience to support the artistic vision of the current & subsequent Artistic Director! 

Edited by Peanut68
To add
  • Like 2