English National Ballet - change of leadership discussion

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: English National Ballet Leadership Announcement

Header_Dec2019

For immediate release: Tuesday 11 January, 3.40pm (GMT) 

English National Ballet Leadership Announcement

The Company has announced today that Artistic Director and Lead Principal Dancer, Tamara Rojo CBE, will step down towards the end of 2022 to take up the role of Artistic Director at San Francisco Ballet.

Since Tamara’s appointment to the role in 2012, she has gained acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity by introducing ground-breaking works into the Company’s repertoire, whilst continuing to celebrate the tradition of great classical ballet and attracting world-class talent. She has evolved the artform with bold commissions from both established and emerging creatives, including more than 40 works choreographed by women across English National Ballet’s programming. 

Tamara led the Company into a new chapter in 2019, by moving it into the RIBA award-winning Mulryan Centre for Dance, a purpose-built, state-of-the-art new home in east London. Here, Tamara’s ambition to connect with more people and demystify the artform came to the fore, with a renewed commitment to public access, community engagement and digital innovation. Her investment in the future of ballet continued, with the introduction of forward-focused programmes including internal dancer development initiative, Dance Leaders of the Future, and Ballet Futures, a children’s training programme which aims to diversify the talent pipeline. 

Throughout the immense challenges of the last two years, Tamara has been a dedicated advocate, not just for English National Ballet but for the wider creative industries, making the case for the importance of the arts and demonstrating the strength, resilience, and collective determination within the industry to persevere and innovate. 

Later this month, Tamara will make her choreographic and directorial debut with Raymonda, her first full-length ballet which English National Ballet will perform at the London Coliseum. 

ENB will appoint an Artistic Advisory Panel to support the board in the search for a new Artistic Director. Tamara will remain in her post until late in the year to ensure a smooth transition. A further update will be provided at the appropriate time. 

Tamara Rojo said: “It has been an honour to have led this extraordinary company for the last 10 years. I am incredibly proud of all that we have achieved together, from the tremendous talent working within and alongside the Company, to creating and moving into the amazing new building we now call our home, to the off-stage communities we have established with our education and engagement work. 

English National Ballet’s fundamental aim to bring world-class ballet to the widest possible audience has always resonated with me. It is the reason the Company has been a part of my life for so many years, from performing here as a dancer early in my career, to returning as Artistic Director in 2012. My admiration and support do not end here, I will remain invested in English National Ballet’s continued success in the years to come. 

It has been a privilege to be the custodian of English National Ballet and as I prepare to hand over the reins, I am confident that this world-class company which is at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution with a much-deserved place on the international stage, will continue to flourish and thrive.” 

English National Ballet’s Chair, Sir Roger Carr, said: “Tamara is a remarkable person whose vision, intellect and energy has propelled English National Ballet to new heights. The Company has outstanding dancers, a fine building with state-of-the-art facilities and a repertoire strengthened by significant new works. Collectively, these assets will provide a strong foundation on which the new Artistic Director can build the next exciting chapter in the life of this remarkable Company. 

After ten years at the helm, the legacy that Tamara leaves will be long lasting and it is hoped that in her new position in San Francisco she will have the opportunity to capitalise on past achievements and build a bridge between these two great ballet companies for joint endeavours to our mutual benefit. I speak on behalf of us all at the English National Ballet when I offer my sincere thanks and wish Tamara every success in the future.” 

-ENDS- 

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government's Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

NatWest is Principal Partner of English National Ballet.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since. 

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages including The Bolshoi Theatre and Palais Garnier; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk  

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19  

I'll be very sad to see her go. I don't think anyone can doubt her commitment to ENB - from an outsider's perspective, I've never thought she's treated it as a stepping stone in her own career, and 10 years is a good stretch by any normal standard.

SFB is lucky to have her and I wish her and them all the best.

• Like 17

It's funny.  I had for some time suggested this might happen.  Indeed, I said as much to Bruce Marriott, the founder of what is now BcoF, going into the Ballet Icons Gala.  

Hearty congratulations to Ms Rojo.  This is a well deserved appointment.  Long may she prosper.  There is no question but that it will be to the benefit of us all.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

Very Good wishes to Tamara in her new venture. 
Im just hoping the new Artistic Director of ENB does not start downgrading the classic Rep there to a more Contemporary one as I think has sometimes happened in some German Companies. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Josette said:

I didn't see this coming, and it's a great (and prestigious) choice.  I live in Los Angeles, am a SFB donor, and fly up to SF regularly to see SFB.   I'm relieved by her appointment.  

Josette, I don't know if you read the various interviews with her listed in the links over the last few weeks, but if not I'd strongly recommend doing so.  I hope you'll be further reassured.

• Like 1

I am absolutely devastated and genuinely in shock.

On the plus side, professionally, it's always good to leave a company on a high with so many achievements under her belt, with Raymonda hopefully being the icing on the cake. I can only commend her on the diverse programming of ENB which has something to appeal to everyone and never fails to excite me.

On the negative side, it's going to be very hard to recruit a replacement who can be as determined a leader, within the company and across the broader dance landscape.

Tuesday night's premiere is going to feel somewhat bittersweet, but am looking forward to what I hope will be her lasting legacy.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

(If you register (no charge) you can read 2 articles per week)

I find it interesting in the article that it says the announcement about the new director will be made in the next few weeks...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I find it interesting in the article that it says the announcement about the new director will be made in the next few weeks...

And yet the ENB press release says that 'ENB will appoint an Artistic Advisory Panel to support the board in the search for a new Artistic Director' which doesn't sound as if the process has even started yet. ?? 

• Like 1

As an aside, I think that the 'mothers make better dancers' headline in the Times is a distortion of what Rojo says; what she actually says is that in her experience dancers who have become mothers have always improved in various ways. Not the same thing at all.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And yet the ENB press release says that 'ENB will appoint an Artistic Advisory Panel to support the board in the search for a new Artistic Director' which doesn't sound as if the process has even started yet. ?? 

Yes, I noticed that slight discrepancy as well!!

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I see that a number of news sources are commenting that Isaac Hernandez has recently been appointed as a principal at SFB.

Yes, I've just heard it on Radio 3, which is what prompted me to come over here and look.  I thought SFB had a new AD already?

It'll be a big loss for ENB.  I think I did see some speculation recently that she might be moving on, but I don't think it was SFB which was mentioned.

So very sad to hear she is leaving the UK, but professionally it is a wonderful opportunity for her to continue to grow. Yes, she’s leaving on a high and those are big shoes to fill. I hope she maintains strong links with the UK, because hers has been a much needed refreshing and intelligent voice in the arts world at a time of intense pressure. 

• Like 9

It's an interesting time. Northern Ballet still hasn't announced who their new AD will be; an insider told me that the interviews had taken place in November, but still no news, and a rumour that David Nixon has been asked to carry on until Easter.

It's too soon for Acosta to put his hat into the ring for ENB but I think that Christopher Hampson, currently at Scottish Ballet, would be a good choice. He has added some interesting ballets to the rep and done a lot on the digital front. He is a good choreographer and has history with ENB, both as a dancer and as a choreographer.

• Like 4