In celebration of Osipova?

Given a slow steady drip of less than positive comments here about the extraordinary RB dancer Osipova I thought it might be an idea to balance things out with a thread celebrating her work. Some less than world class RB talents have been gushingly praised here rather beyond their due (no names, of course, and imho only) - so this seems fair. 

When Osipova first appeared as a guest in London I thought the theatre might collapse, so thunderingly enthusiastic was the response of the public. So when Kevin O’Hare secured her for the company it felt like Covent Garden had achieved an international coup. But over the years since the response has been increasingly mixed. She has had some bad luck, suffering a number of injuries and seemingly having trouble finding the right partners. And not all the work built around her - Strapless, anyone? that dull documentary? - has seemed to suit her remarkable gifts.

But her public has remained loyal, and by all accounts her performances over the last year have at least matched those of the past. As evidence of this I recommend the review of her recent performances in Russia, as described in an ecstatic article in The Dancing Times (April this year) by Igor Stupnikov. 

So perhaps this might be a nice place to honour her work - any specially good memories, anyone? - and I for one give thanks to the Royal Ballet that we still have this once in a generation phenomenon in the company. 

• Like 12

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can and never will forget her performances in Don Q with Vassiliev. I have never witnessed the audience at Covent Garden so electrified. Their performance created so much energy. I love the fact that she takes chances - they don't always work and there are many choreographies that she has appeared in that are 'forgettable:' With the RB, I've really enjoyed her in Giselle, A Month in the Country and the R&J Balcony pas de deux.

While I don't go and see Osipova as often as I used to I too have very strong memories of her Giselle with both the Bolshoi and RB. Her performances were incredibly poignant and somehow totally different to anyone else's I've seen. I'm looking forward to seeing her performance with Reece Clarke to see how she is developing the role as she is an artist who is always looking to add to her interpretation. 

Her Bolshoi Don Q London debut with Vasiliev at the Coliseum (2006 or 2007?) will always be remembered as one of my balletic highlights. The two of them just combined so well to give an evening of ballet sensation. They were so incredible it is difficult for me now to be totally immersed in another interpretation as something always seems lacking. I've never heard an audience reception like it. You would almost think you were at a pop concert with the cheering and screaming. I thought one man was going to fall out of his box he was jumping up and down so much!

Then there were all the Macmillan roles in which she excelled and Tatiana in Onegin. She is a great talent and we've been lucky to have her in London when she could have had her pick of Companies anywhere in the world. It is a tribute to the RB wide-ranging rep. that so many to dancers choose to base their careers here. I'm still hoping she will star in Onegin opposite Vadim.  That I would have to see every night, despite the expense. Would it be the first time two Russians had performed it outside Russia? Anyway I hope its not too long in coming.

• Like 10

Her Don Q with Vasiliev gave a new meaning to the word "thrilling". And her Giselle was so spine-chilling that four of my daughter's male friends who would normally have needed a pistol to the head to persuade them come to the ballet are now total converts.

Surprisingly her Swan Lake didn't do it for me and, again unexpectedly, I preferred her Nikiya to her Gamzatti but she never gives less than 100%, is always - but always - watchable and, dubious repertoire choices aside, I love the electrifying, edge-of-the-seat unpredictability that she brings to her performances. We need someone who is not afraid to take risks and who can always be relied upon to challenge, stimulate and surprise.

• Like 11

I forgot to mention her Dying Swan which was wonderful. 

JMHopton's description of the audience reaction for her Don Q is spot on and I also agree with Scheherazade - it certainly was thrilling as never before!

I adore Osipova, even when she gets it wrong. Her commitment to the role is absolute. I loved her in Flames of Paris for the Bolshoi, and for her mesmerising Sylphide, her Giselle with Acosta, her Lise with Steven McRae and her Ramonda. Athough I prefer Sarah Lamb in the Macmillan roles, I'd still rather watch Osipova in any of them, compared with another Principal because she inhabits her roles. I haven't watched her Dying Swan, because I don't want to compare it to Lopatakina's heartbreaking interpretation, but it's probably the only one for which I would not be standing on my seat and applauding.

I hate it when these backlashes occur, it's almost as if people are scared of admitting they got so excited about the dancer.

• Like 3

Yes I forgot Flames of Paris. Another ballet in which she combined with Vasilev to give absolute perfection and a level of excitement you don't often get in ballet. It's wonderful to have dvds of these performances to remind myself how special they were.

Also I've just remembered her Coppelia with the Bolshoi. Swanhilda isn't really a role I would associate with her but her personality and technique made it very special and uniquely hers.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, RosiesDream said:

I hate it when these backlashes occur, it's almost as if people are scared of admitting they got so excited about the dancer.

i think it’s true to say that generally she will not appeal to the purist but ballet, as much as any other art form, is equally about communication or it becomes sterile and Osipova can most certainly communicate. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I think Osipova is a truly great and memorable dancer, and always book to see her at RB.  Like @jmhopton I would love to see her partnered by Muntagirov.  She can be so exciting to watch.  Great thread, @Geoff!

Osipova and Muntagirov have been very complimentary about each other in the past.  In a clip on YouTube about Raymonda in which they both appeared, Muntagirov calls Osipova "a wonderful ballerina and so inspiring". He went on to say that she pushes him to his limit and makes him improve!  On the other hand Osipova says that "Vadim is not just a fantastic dancer and partner, but I don't have to tell him anything since he does everything perfectly!"   For myself I'd love to see them partnered more together.  

• Like 7

I think her Giselle is one of the best I have ever seen, and I have seen many.  When she first did it here with the Bolshoi I wept buckets.  How can a human being appear to be a ghost right in front of your eyes?  How can she jump like that, and seemingly float on air? How can an apparition make me weep?  Amazing.  Loved her DonQ with Vassiliev...who wouldn't?!  So much fun...when V was holding her aloft in the one-handed lift and then went up on tiptoe on one foot whilst doing so we all just laughed with the cheekiness of it!  I also loved her in Month in the Country, and her Juliet was interesting.  Her Manon was superb, especially when she did it with the guesting Shklyarov (please can we get him back?!).  However, I don't much like her in the Tchaikovsky classics so will be skipping those.  I also didn't like her Lise (more Bolshoi than Ashton) but it was hard not to smile because her joy in the role was so infectious.

Definitely a very unique artist;  the fact that she divides opinion so much attests to this!

• Like 12

I think Giselle is all I need to say! After watching her Giselle opposite Acosta on Sky Arts I booked for Osipova/ Hallberg on ‘that’ snowy night when Hallberg was replaced by Ball for act 2. I have seen some other memorable Giselles but none like Osipova’s which actually brought me close to tears. 

Very much enjoyed her Raymonda Act III.

Would have loved to see her as Coppelia live too.

As with any dancer, there are obviously roles she excels at and those which are not as perfect but when it is one of those right roles, she is incredible.

• Like 5

We saw her in the Bolshoi Coppelia in London and as soon as Swanilda started to dance my partner and I looked at each other as if to say ‘WHO is that?’.

On the strength of that we booked DQ a week or so later, with her and Vasiliev. The most exciting performance we have seen and didn’t the audience respond. Rivalled only by Giselle a few years later with Osipiva and Acosta. The way someone with such a strong personality could appear to melt away to virtual nothingness has set the bar impossibly high, just like her Kitri did. 
Watching Bayadère on TV yesterday vividly reminded me of the way she can so thrillingly transmit that force of character. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Nina99 said:

Osipova and Muntagirov have been very complimentary about each other in the past.  In a clip on YouTube about Raymonda in which they both appeared, Muntagirov calls Osipova "a wonderful ballerina and so inspiring". He went on to say that she pushes him to his limit and makes him improve!  On the other hand Osipova says that "Vadim is not just a fantastic dancer and partner, but I don't have to tell him anything since he does everything perfectly!"   For myself I'd love to see them partnered more together.  

Having seen their DonQ in 2019 I wouldn't book for them again. Like the video you mention, all very nice and polite (and technically brilliant) but no connection. 

In any role where a story is being told or a character portrayed, I find Osipova almost disturbingly brilliant. Her intensity blazes off the stage and her body is thrown full tilt at the choreography with not the slightest hesitation or inhibition. That can make for (and has often resulted in) the most thrilling performances possible. She's an absolute phenomenon and I feel so lucky to have experienced her. 

• Like 11

On 09/10/2021 at 16:27, Geoff said:

- any specially good memories, anyone? - 

Crikey, @Geoff , how much time have you got? More to the point, how much time have I got to do justice to everything I've seen her in over the years that has left me with specially good memories? 🤔

You are right to describe her as a 'once in a generation phenomenon' - in actual fact, someone in thrall to the magic she conjures up on stage might refer to her as Natalia Osipova, Greatest Of All Time (such a suggestion, of course, would be nonsensical if meant literally; though perhaps not if the phrase was used as shorthand to reflect personal experience rather than assert an independent truth).

So here's one example of the magic she can weave on stage - in this case bringing clarity to a role and, as a consequence, to the overall narrative arc of a classical ballet.

One of the reasons I love La Bayadere is that it features two well-developed and contrasting female leads. But I've always had a bit of a problem fitting Gamzatti's role and development within the broader narrative arc of the ballet. Her character is typically portrayed in the first half of the ballet as someone who is entitled, arrogant and cold-hearted - basically a bit of a scheming b*tch who will countenance murder to further her selfish plans.

Yet, in the final temple scene, the choreography of Gamzatti's solo  - and the music accompanying it - seem at odds to that of a cold-hearted schemer whose plans are going awry; it alludes to something deeper, more emotional - something that seems to call for my sympathy and understanding.

In her first appearance as Gamzatti at the ROH, Osipova gave me a reason to empathise with Gamzatti's predicament in that solo in the Temple scene, and so gave that solo the emotional impact it deserved. This she did in the first act. As soon as she made her entrance and set eyes on Solor, she became instantly and totally infatuated with him. Even while sat at the side playing chess with Solor, with the 'action' on the D'jampe, she would stare at him, completely besotted. While (hopefully!) none of us would kill for love, most of us understand and have experienced the power of love to affect our behaviour. Here was the rationale!

Through this relatively small and simple emphasis in act one, Osipova allowed me to appreciate Gamzatti in the final act as a more complex, tragic figure.

Thus, for me, the genius of Osipova lies beyond her technical dancing skills. She seems to have a natural ability to understand, assimilate, generate and project non-verbal aspects of story-telling. Together they are a potent combination, and the result is an incredible dance-actress with a stage presence so magnetic it demands and rewards attention.

PS: Oh dear! Having just re-read this, I realise I might appear slightly besotted myself! Now, I don't think I'd resort to anything as drastic as Gamzatti, but perhaps it would be best not to be too critical of me or Osipova in any replies...  💐🐍

Edited by Nogoat
Grammar.
  • Like 10

I love her full-on commitment to whatever role she is portraying.  She is never dull!

For me she excels in dramatic roles … Juliet, Manon, Tatiana (Onegin), Giselle … and also contemporary ones … Mats Ek, Pita, Maliphant, Oishi, Kittelberger etc.  

She has an extraordinary ability to convey emotion from her whole body.  

However, will be giving her classical outings a miss … Nutcracker, Swan Lake (and whatever else comes next season).  For me, these require 100% pure and correct technique.  There are plenty of other RB principals who I’d prefer in these ballets.  

Forgot to add … I would really love to see this new Carmen she is preparing.  This sounds like a perfect role for her.  Dramatic ✔️ AND contemporary ✔️

I do hope it comes to London 🤞

Edited by FionaE
Add comments re Carmen

Might I add a few words of Clement Crisp (from the wonderful new collection of his work)? Here is a short extract from his 13 August 2007 review of Don Quixote in the Financial Times:

Let us not exaggerate, but six stars seem to be in order...Not since Plisetskaya and Maximova have we seen so adorable a Kitri, and never one so divinely destined to claim the role as her own. This Kitri can do no wrong. 

• Like 13

Wonderful replies, thank you all. Might I add a performance not mentioned so far, her Mary Vetsera in Mayerling with Edward Watson (2017)? I am lucky enough to have seen not only the first cast of this ballet but also, several times, the heart-stopping pairing of Durante and Mukhamedov (a favourite we know of MacMillan himself, thankfully captured on video).

But what Osipova wrenched from the role left the audience shocked, breathless, in my case shaking and with, rather than a memory I can put in words, a physical sense of being there that is still with me. A once in a lifetime experience.

• Like 6

I have been lucky enough to see Osipova in the vast number of performances notated above but have also been especially fortunate to see her in other locations.  One of my favourites is as Kate in Cranko's witty Taming of the Shrew - which I have seen her do on a few occasions in Munich.  It is, for me, one of her best roles - and one she obviously takes much delight in - as do her devoted audiences.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Over the years I have been lucky enough to see (and be blown away by) her Giselle, Mary Vetsera, Sylvia, Anastasia and Nikia but I think my all time favourite was the last performance of Onegin with Matthew Golding. That one will live with me forever!

Like many here, I'm not so fond of her Aurora but I will willing pay to sit through the rest of the ballet just to watch her dance the dream sequence.

I'm also not so keen on some of the modern stuff she has done but there are exceptions! Top of that list would be an absolutely fabulous performance in In The Upper Room which we saw her dance at the Coliseum when still with the Bolshoi (for which I think she won an award). More recently I loved Facada and The Mother and am really hoping that someday she will be able to bring Two Feet to London.

From bits I have gathered on YouTube - Corsaire with ABT,  Bright Stream both with the (Bolshoi and ABT), and Pharoah's Daughter with the Bolshoi come to mind. I am sure there are others.

Above all I love her ability in inhabit whatever role she is playing and take me with her on her journey. She stays in character throughout and never milks the applause she rightly is given. She is an unbelievably gifted artist who seems to have managed to become a superstar without acquiring the airs and graces that so many adopt. We are so lucky to have her.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Mummykool said:

She ... never milks the applause she rightly is given. She is an unbelievably gifted artist who seems to have managed to become a superstar without acquiring the airs and graces that so many adopt. We are so lucky to have her.

I was just thinking this when watching her in her fairly small role in 'The Dante Project' last night.  She was probably the most famous dancer on stage yet she was humble enough to merge in as a member of the corps, and stood back when applause was given to the whole group.  A real team player.  We are so lucky to be able to see her fairly often in London.

• Like 6

I first came across Osipova on YouTube quite a few years ago now. 
When I took up ballet again the year before I retired and finally had an IPad ( instead of a work laptop) I got obsessed with watching YouTube videos of dancers and students of the Mariinsky and Bolshoi etc. 
(An amazing one of the 14 year Diana Vishneva in a Carmen piece). It was almost enough to put you off taking up ballet again lol as they were all SO amazing! Especially one video of Osipova and another student in a final year demo. 
I then started to follow a few of them on any YouTube videos could find of them dancing or being interviewed etc. 
I was particularly taken with Vishneva Osipova, Lopatkina and Zakharova among others. 
The first opportunity I had to see Osipova was in Don Q with Vasiliev at the Colisseum and have never been so excited by any performance before! They were showy but totally amazing and as have said before here literally kept me on the edge of my seat....what a performance! 

I thought that’s it ...it’s time I went to Russia! 
By the time I did get to see the Mikhailovsky a couple of years later (still a great Company and love love love that theatre!)  Osipova had left of course. 
I was so glad when she joined the Royal so have seen her many times now. 
For me there is a link with Nureyev and Osipova artistically speaking ..in that when they are/were on stage I feel it is a bit life and death for them so the performance they are giving becomes very real and they manage to draw you in and make you care about what they are doing in the moment ....even when not dancing!  This is a rare gift and Osipova is one of those who has it. 
A bit like singers who really live out their songs on stage so are riveting to be in the presence of.   Her Giselle ...totally different to Don Q...was truly wonderful definitely one of the best I’ve seen over the years. 

She is not always the most pure of classical dancers ( as Nureyev wasn’t) but I don’t mind this as she takes risks and I really admire this in an artist so I’ve never been disappointed by any performance she has given. You can’t just switch off when she is dancing ( if you are tired for example)
I personally think we need dancers like her as well as those with the more purely classical technique etc. 
There are some dancers who can really move you to tears through their technique alone because of the sheer beauty of expression with it.....Lopatkina and Makarova come to mind for me) and others who are somehow more vulnerable in themselves in actual performing and wanting to communicate their love of their Art with an audience ....Osipova Fonteyn and Nureyev for me are/were moving in this way. 

On a lighter and totally superficial note I secretly love the fact that she is not a total “bunhead” and has shorter hair and even ...heaven forbid ...a fringe 😳😱😩😂 ....or at least did for a while! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, LinMM said:

On a lighter and totally superficial note I secretly love the fact that she is not a total “bunhead” and has shorter hair and even ...heaven forbid ...a fringe 😳😱😩😂 ....or at least did for a while! 

Yes at one point during one of the lock downs her hair was purple. 😍

• Like 3

I feel like I bore everyone about this too often already, but the first time I saw Osipova was at the Bolshoi in early 2005 - she was the Spanish Bride in Swan Lake. I'd never heard of her before but in those few minutes she exploded into my consciousness (and probably that of everyone else there). It's the first and only time I've genuinely felt the hair on the back of my head standing up - a real WOW moment if ever there was one.

I suppose if you've never encountered her charisma or don't put a high value on it you might struggle to see what the fuss is about - and I agree not every role is for her - but I've followed her career and loved her ever since. The RB would is very lucky to have her.

• Like 12