In celebration of Osipova?

Two shows I’d booked with Osipova in them this season had had cast changes due to Covid, so the Nureyev Gala was the first time I’d seen her in a while. It was great to see her dancing the spectacular solo full of grand jetes again, and she and Cesar Corrales make an exciting partnership with a good rapport. Very  impressive to see the excellent results of her first foray into staging the classics- I thought she had done a great job! Thoroughly enjoyed the performance! 

• Like 7

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2022 at 21:18, Geoff said:

Courtesy of another thread, here is a clip which was new to me (lots of fun from Laurencia):

This is how pas de six was danced at Mikhailovsky Theatre with young Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghsadwIwp0U

The most amazing clip thank you. A joy to watch.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Osipova said that she couldn't always jump (or not so high) and when she first began dancing at company level she worked at developing it.

This from US dancer Kathryn Morgan new on YT (embedded link) is fascinating, analysing her technique, how she does it. I think there's also magic involved however.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I note in passing that Osipova's 2011 utterly delightful Coppelia with the Bolshoi which was a cine broadcast (I miss those, for obvious reasons my local cinema has stopped them if indeed they are still happening, used to be Sunday afternoons, lunch at the pub and then ballet) is on YT.

Clearly it would be a breach of copyright to link, it's not the official channel, though I'm not too sure the Bolshoi is too bovvered, it's been there almost two years,  a search

Coppélia - Full Length Ballet by Bolshoi Theatre ft. Natalia Osipova

from user The Dances, Inc.

will be helpful. Or DM me.

On 01/06/2023 at 01:06, Ondine said:

Osipova said that she couldn't always jump (or not so high) and when she first began dancing at company level she worked at developing it.

Indeed, Osipova did say in some interview that she had a very good natural  jump, but not so phenomenal. Her teacher/repetiteur at Bolshoi Marina Kondratyeva who herself had a light, flight jump helped Natasha to polish it. No other ballerina in the world had such a jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ff9PbE88r0

Edited by Amelia
Links added.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting, thank you. I do love watching her jump but otherwise find it very difficult to get past her feet/shoes. I know much has been said about it but to me personally the Classical line is ruined so much when the leg line ends in a tatty badly fitting shoe. I've tried hard not to let if affect me but I find it so distracting!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Upcoming performance elsewhere (not advertised by Natalia herself 🙄

▪️own show at Dubai Opera House ‘Bloom Dance Project’ on 8 November 2023

https://www.mosaic-fest.com/aboutevent/natalia-osipova

▪️Daniel Camargo, principal at ABT announced on his instagram story that he’ll be partnering Natalia in Nureyev’s version of La Bayadere at Teatro Colon, Argentina on 17 and 20 December 2023

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3423028833/permalink/10161014115708834/

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0zZL9M5aCNtL88XhRtEmkmwaAWBzxFJF6zKtkCwkK3dDqHeyLd2ThiUkH7SEur7YNl&id=100068942178247

• Like 1

Sad news. Natalia Osipova was scheduled to dance in an ancient temple in Kyoto, Japan (choreography by Yuka Oishi) on Friday but today it was announced that she had to withdraw due to injury. The performance was to be televised here. Hope her injury is not serious and she can perform in Don Quixote. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Naomi M said:

Sad news. Natalia Osipova was scheduled to dance in an ancient temple in Kyoto, Japan (choreography by Yuka Oishi) on Friday but today it was announced that she had to withdraw due to injury. The performance was to be televised here. Hope her injury is not serious and she can perform in Don Quixote. 

Oh dear!

I hope she is better soon.

• Like 2

Yuka Oishi says she performed the piece herself … costume looks very beautiful

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw_DE__yX6_/?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

Yuka had previously choreographed a beautiful solo to Schubert’s Ave Maria for Natalia’s own shows.  (which can be found on youtube)

A similar event was held at Ninna-Ji temple in Kyoto in September 2019 where Yuka Oishi choreographed again.  This time it was two solos for Sergei Polunin … Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata and Chopin ‘The Storm’ Prelude.  (Also on YouTube) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2023 at 16:27, art_enthusiast said:

Oh dear!

I hope she is better soon.

She is replaced by Mayara Magri for DQ October 4 and 7. Still scheduled for November performances (with Clarke), at least at this stage.

Edited by Paco

On 10/09/2023 at 14:54, FionaE said:

Yuka Oishi says she performed the piece herself … costume looks very beautiful

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw_DE__yX6_/?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

Yuka had previously choreographed a beautiful solo to Schubert’s Ave Maria for Natalia’s own shows.  (which can be found on youtube)

A similar event was held at Ninna-Ji temple in Kyoto in September 2019 where Yuka Oishi choreographed again.  This time it was two solos for Sergei Polunin … Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata and Chopin ‘The Storm’ Prelude.  (Also on YouTube) 

A bit belated but I need a costume credit for that beautiful dress that Yuka Oishi is wearing! 👏Has the solo danced by Ms Oishi made it to YouTube or social media?

On 07/09/2023 at 15:19, Naomi M said:

Maybe Natalia can perform it the next time she organises another Pure Dance show at Sadler’s Wells? Does it say who the music is by? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following the celebration of Ms Osipova’s ten years at the RB I have been thinking- I saw her first Swan Lake with Acosta but that was 2012 and her Giselle with Acosta in Jan 2013. Was she a guest artist for that SL?

thank you ms Osipova for an unforgettable decade of dance. I have seen more ballet in that decade than all the previous ones! More productions and other dancers too. I trust to see many more.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Shade said:

Following the celebration of Ms Osipova’s ten years at the RB I have been thinking- I saw her first Swan Lake with Acosta but that was 2012 and her Giselle with Acosta in Jan 2013. Was she a guest artist for that SL?

thank you ms Osipova for an unforgettable decade of dance. I have seen more ballet in that decade than all the previous ones! More productions and other dancers too. I trust to see many more.

From the ROH Bio: 

Russian dancer Natalia Osipova is a Principal of The Royal Ballet. She joined the Company as a Principal in autumn 2013, after appearing as a Guest Artist the previous Season as Odette/Odile (Swan Lake) with Carlos Acosta

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shade said:

Yes.

It seems unbelievable that guests were needed back then as we have an embarrassment of Principal riches now.

But IIRC having Natalia as a guest and then, shortly afterwards, as a signed up RB Company member was bit of a feather in KOH’s cap!

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Shade said:

Giselle was early 2014, she was already a Principal at the RB.

She arrived in the company at a time where the stars Rojo and Cojocaru had left. It was urgent for KOH to secure some new stars for the future of the company. With Nunez (already well famous at the time) and Osipova it was secured.

However I remember at that time many observers were asserting that Osipova would not stay more than two or three years, that she would perhaps dance one or two ballets per season (on the model of Guillem), that it was a mistake to appoint her as a Principal, that her true world was the free-lance one etc. etc. There were more Cassandra assertions than congratulations to KOH.

10 years after, it is obvious that KOH "bet" was a genius one: Ms Osipova has danced at the RB all the classical + McMillan and Ashton heritages + some McGregor creations, she has been casted on full seasons every year (except when injured), she invites other RB Principals to dance with her in galas overseas (mainly Clarke, but also Sambé if I remember well). To put it into a nutshell, she has been totally faithful to her company.

It is true that at that time there was a shortage of Principals at the RB, leading to many "guest" appearances such as Obraztsova, Salenko or Shklyarov. It is also to put to the credit of KOH that there are now so many brilliant young Principals. He totally relaunched the company, which is now probably the only one in Europe (apart from Mariinsky and Bolshoi) able to schedule ten different brilliant and attractive casts for a Swan Lake or a Sleeping Beauty. A golden era...

Edited by Paco
  • Like 12

25 minutes ago, Paco said:

She arrived in the company at a time where the stars Rojo and Cojocaru had left.

This is rather off topic but may I ask quickly if Cojocaru's departure was the last time any female RB Principal left the company to dance elsewhere rather than to retire? I'm pretty sure the last on the male side was Matthew Golding in 2017, as since then Kish, Soares, Watson & Bonelli have all retired. I feel I must be missing some on the female side though as I'm sure logically the RB must have lost more than 2 female Principals in a decade (Yanowsky & Morera retiring) but can't think who.

36 minutes ago, Paco said:

It is true that at that time there was a shortage of Principals at the RB, leading to many "guest" appearances such as Obraztsova, Salenko or Shklyarov. It is also to put to the credit of KOH that there are now so many brilliant young Principals. He totally relaunched the company, which is now probably the only one in Europe (apart from Mariinsky and Bolshoi) able to schedule ten different brilliant and attractive casts for a Swan Lake or a Sleeping Beauty. A golden era...

In 2001 the RB had just 10 principals - 6 Female and 4 Male. 

Whilst the company does seem a happy contented place and there are many good dancers and they are finally creating new ballets again - in the early to late noughties it had Acosta, Guillem, Bussell, Cojocaru, Nunez etc which is surely the most recent golden age for the ballet in terms of quality of its dancers.

I would also say the RB is not also without problems. There is also a lack of 'star ballerinas' coming through at the RB which shows by the far later age at which they make principal. The hot selling tickets for most major full length ballets are for Nunez (41) and Osipova (37). I would also argue that there is actually now too many principals at the RB given the amount of proper principal roles available for them leaving many with quite limited appearances in full length ballet leading roles. How much do we actually see Hirano, Takada or Campbell (none of whom are early career principals like O'Sullivan or Magri) in the primary roles. 

• Like 4

Sadly the lack of Akane’s performances the past few years has been due to injuries.  Ditto Corrales and McRae.  Hirano is now 40 so perhaps his appearances in the more difficult pieces are being reduced.  I am at a loss to explain the lack of Campbell.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

This is rather off topic but may I ask quickly if Cojocaru's departure was the last time any female RB Principal left the company to dance elsewhere rather than to retire? I'm pretty sure the last on the male side was Matthew Golding in 2017, as since then Kish, Soares, Watson & Bonelli have all retired. I feel I must be missing some on the female side though as I'm sure logically the RB must have lost more than 2 female Principals in a decade (Yanowsky & Morera retiring) but can't think who.

Mara Galeazzi? (left in 2013 for private life reasons)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Paco said:

Thanks. I had assumed she retired but perhaps she was younger when she left than I thought she was.

41 minutes ago, Sim said:

Hirano is now 40 so perhaps his appearances in the more difficult pieces are being reduced.

Has Hirano stepped back from any roles though? I know he doesn't do all the lead roles, e.g. Espada rather than Basilio, but he doesn't seem to be getting de-cast from those that he does do, plus he's debuting Des Grieux, albeit that's only due to McRae being injured rather than being the original casting intention.

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Hirano stepped back from any roles though? I know he doesn't do all the lead roles, e.g. Espada rather than Basilio, but he doesn't seem to be getting de-cast from those that he does do, plus he's debuting Des Grieux

At this point in his career it would surely be better for the company to debut one of the first soloists/soloists who may  develop into the role ready for future scheduled Manon (likely 2025/26). So many top ballerinas/dancers got their first break by stepping up into a principals shoes at the last minute at a young age. However, it would be hard for them to turn down a principal who hasn't had an opportunity in that role if they want it. 

To me this highlights the risk of too many principals - although I suspect the RB have made a deliberate choice of pulling back from early promotions (to prevent it being seen as favouritism and eliciting jealousy) and to expand the principal ranks (to give more opportunity for dancers to make that grade at the RB who otherwise may not have done) to improve company morale and wellbeing.  

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paco said:

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. I had assumed she retired but perhaps she was younger when she left than I thought she was.

Has Hirano stepped back from any roles though? I know he doesn't do all the lead roles, e.g. Espada rather than Basilio, but he doesn't seem to be getting de-cast from those that he does do, plus he's debuting Des Grieux, albeit that's only due to McRae being injured rather than being the original casting intention.

Not necessarily stepped back…just doing fewer performances of them.  

I would have loved to see Will Bracewell replace Steven McRae, but then Hirano has given most of his career to the RB and as this would probably be his last chance to dance DG, maybe Kevin thought he deserved the chance to dance this role that’s such an important part of the RB’s repertoire. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

This is rather off topic but may I ask quickly if Cojocaru's departure was the last time any female RB Principal left the company to dance elsewhere rather than to retire?

May I ask why not to start a new topic on departures and arrivals? As a result there are now FIVE new posts which concern other dancers' career moves and have nothing to do with the celebration of Osipova.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

I would have loved to see Will Bracewell replace Steven McRae, but then Hirano has given most of his career to the RB and as this would probably be his last chance to dance DG, maybe Kevin thought he deserved the chance to dance this role that’s such an important part of the RB’s repertoire. 

Not to be mean but if KOH thought he deserved it, he should have cast him properly. Again a nice 'gift' to someone who has missed out until they are 40 might boost morale and demonstrate your abilities as a kind leader that make the ROH a nice place to work but it inhibits the development of other dancers by making them wait years to try that role they would have otherwise got a chance at. So if Bracewell isn't cast this run, then instead of being 32 (already q late) and starting to understand and learn the role now, but by 34/35 when it next comes round, he will has the chance to start to master it - he will have to start trying to learn the role fresh at 34/35.  

is there a way of hiving off the convo from the Osipova thread?

p.s. Osipova is wonderful, I am very sad I missed her Kitri through injury 🙂

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Amelia said:

May I ask why not to start a new topic on departures and arrivals? As a result there are now FIVE new posts which concern other dancers' career moves and have nothing to do with the celebration of Osipova.

I'm sorry, I thought starting an entire new thread to ask what I intended to be a quick question would be excessive, especially as it is about something in the past rather than a current event. Evidently, as is so often the case on here, I was wrong but I'm afraid it is now too late for me to delete my post.

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm sorry, I thought starting an entire new thread to ask what I intended to be a quick question would be excessive, especially as it is about something in the past rather than a current event. Evidently, as is so often the case on here, I was wrong but I'm afraid it is now too late for me to delete my post.

No need to apologise Dawnstar.  Threads often veer off course after just one comment or question!  

• Like 2