In celebration of Osipova?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, capybara said:

But, since Bracewell IS cast as Des Grieux (with Naghdi), I’m not sure what the issue is here.

I agree with @Amelia that it is unfortunate for a thread intended to celebrate Osipova to have been ‘invaded’ by other issues, but that does tend to happen on BCF.

Mea culpa.  I meant to say someone else but I won’t prolong the ‘invasion’ of this thread.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Back on track... here she is. 😌

I do find it odd that the ROH frequently gives no credit in its publicity on social media to who is dancing.

Osipova related q - has she performed a full Raymonda anywhere? 

Watching this makes me think what a waste that RB doesn't have it in its repertoire 

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, capybara said:

But, since Bracewell IS cast as Des Grieux (with Naghdi), I’m not sure what the issue is here.

Exactly - and so is Reece Clarke with Natalia Osipova, so both of the newest male principals are getting to perform Des Grieux. Or has Clarke done it already? Not sure.

And Calvin Richardson is also being cast (can't wait to see him with Melissa Hamilton). I would hope for someone like Joseph Sissens maybe getting a go, but he's already getting a big opportunity as Prince Siegfried (and maybe Richardson will be cast for a June SL who knows). Alexander Campbell is also doing DG/Lescaut. I guess another obvious DG candidate would have been James Hay, who is also doing Lescaut?

I think it's great Hirano is getting the opportunity to perform it at 40 - we've just seen Carlos himself do the bedroom PDD at 50, so I've got high hopes! I won't be seeing him though as I haven't booked for Sarah Lamb this time, but I will be seeing him as Lescaut in the Nunez cast.

Back to Natalia - I loved her Kitri, my first time seeing her perform it, and I also can't wait for her Manon which I have booked for (and hopefully her Odette/Odile in June). Hopefully she will make an appearance in the Winter's Tale or The Dream? I've got no idea if she has been cast in those before.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Exactly - and so is Reece Clarke with Natalia Osipova, so both of the newest male principals are getting to perform Des Grieux. Or has Clarke done it already? Not sure.

Back to Natalia - I loved her Kitri, my first time seeing her perform it, and I also can't wait for her Manon which I have booked for (and hopefully her Odette/Odile in June). Hopefully she will make an appearance in the Winter's Tale or The Dream? I've got no idea if she has been cast in those before.

Clarke did a schools matinee with Hamilton on 2019, as well as half a performance with Takada after McRae got injured.

I was looking up Winter's Tale casts recently, thinking about who might be cast this time around, and I didn't see Osipova's name anywhere on them. I suppose if she were to do any role it would be Hermione, who thus far seems to have been performed only by Cuthbertson, Nunez, Calvert & Kaneko (at the RB that is, I know other companies have also done the piece).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

And Calvin Richardson is also being cast (can't wait to see him with Melissa Hamilton). I would hope for someone like Joseph Sissens maybe getting a go, but he's already getting a big opportunity as Prince Siegfried (and maybe Richardson will be cast for a June SL who knows). Alexander Campbell is also doing DG/Lescaut. I guess another obvious DG candidate would have been James Hay, who is also doing Lescaut?

I think it's great Hirano is getting the opportunity to perform it at 40 - we've just seen Carlos himself do the bedroom PDD at 50, so I've got high hopes! I won't be seeing him though as I haven't booked for Sarah Lamb this time, but I will be seeing him as Lescaut in the Nunez cast.

I did clarify that I had written the wrong name.  🤦🏻‍♀️

52 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Clarke did a schools matinee with Hamilton on 2019, as well as half a performance with Takada after McRae got injured.

I was looking up Winter's Tale casts recently, thinking about who might be cast this time around, and I didn't see Osipova's name anywhere on them. I suppose if she were to do any role it would be Hermione, who thus far seems to have been performed only by Cuthbertson, Nunez, Calvert & Kaneko (at the RB that is, I know other companies have also done the piece).

Yes…I would love to see what Osipova made of Hermione.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ondine said:

I do find it odd that the ROH frequently gives no credit in its publicity on social media to who is dancing.

Hah I'm the [sole] member of the hashtag #NitPickersNotSoAnonymous 😉, always posting on AusBallet and ROH threads "Respect the dancers and name them, please. Here's a start for you..." and my second personal hashtag #RespectTheDancers 🤭

• Like 6

Reece Clarke danced Des Grieux (twice) to Lauren Cuthbertson's Manon in May 2018. In the autumn 2019 run, he was cast for the Schools Matinee only with Melissa Hamilton but, as recorded above, also stepped in to finish the performance when poor Steven McRae was injured.

16 hours ago, TSR101 said:

Osipova related q - has she performed a full Raymonda anywhere? 

Watching this makes me think what a waste that RB doesn't have it in its repertoire 

Without having access to her full diary since 2008, as far as I know she hasn’t, as she left the Bolshoi before they revived their production of Raymonda after many years in storage, and the companies where she had or has short or long full time principal dancer contracts - Mikhailovsky, American Ballet Theatre, Royal - didn’t/don’t have a full length Raymonda when she was/is working with them. I’m happy to be proven wrong if someone manages to unearth an unlikely guest appearance as Raymonda at La Scala, Royal Danish Ballet, Mariinsky, Vienna State Opera, Paris Opera, etc by Osipova that was kept very hush hush! 😉

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Natalia has danced Titania in The Dream with Matthew Golding as her Oberon shortly after she joined the company- an outstanding performance from both and one senses that they both really loved dancing The Dream. 

She’s never danced in The Winter’s Tale. In fact, I believe the only Wheeldon ballet she has ever danced is Strapless, the one act ballet created by Wheeldon for her, Edward Watson and Federico Bonelli, inspired  by John Singer Sargent painting ‘Portrait of Madame X’. Not sure why Osipova hasn’t danced other Wheeldon works- I think she would enjoy them and be great in The Winter’s Tale, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Like Water for Chocolate, After the Rain and Polyphonia. 

• Like 4

Just now, Scheherezade said:

I have to say, I did enjoy the RB's 2019 Act 3 Raymonda, indeed the whole of the Raymonda/Concerto/Enigma Variations triple bill. Lots for principals and up and comings as an added bonus. A similar triple would be much appreciated, by me at least.

Yes!  

• Like 3

Oh how I love this, it’s pure joy!  I’ve only seen it on the streaming service, but I thought Muntagirov and Osipova absolutely sparkled with their incredible authentic Russian flair.  I’d love to see them partnered in something similar as I thought they really complemented each other in this.

• Like 3

Arsht Center in Miami on Friday, December 29 and Saturday, December 30. Holiday Season with Ballet Stars features an all-star cast that include Natalia Osipova, Ludmila Pagliero, Christine Shevchenko, Mira Nadon, Xin Ying, Anastasia Matviienko, Mathieu Ganio, Aran Bell, Denis Matviienko, Lloyd Knight, Jason Kittelberger, Peter Walker and others...

https://www.miamiandbeaches.com/event/holiday-season-with-ballet-stars/27956

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

Oh how I love this, it’s pure joy!  I’ve only seen it on the streaming service, but I thought Muntagirov and Osipova absolutely sparkled with their incredible authentic Russian flair.  I’d love to see them partnered in something similar as I thought they really complemented each other in this.

yes it is pure joy and uniquely Osipova!  

However her interpretation is ‘hearty villager’ rather than ‘regal princess’  as the traditional version would have it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FionaM said:

‘hearty villager’

It's the case she does struggle with the 'haughty ballerina' look, she's got such an impish face. However, I liked her and Muntagirov together.

I love how he treats her as something precious. She is. I smiled all the way through.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alison said:

:(  I just hope she didn't do herself any more damage during those Don Qs, then.  Is she down for any RB Nutcrackers?

no she was not cast this time around.   Probably a good thing to have a longer break.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...