Summer Schools 2021 (not online)

Contretemps

Hi all,

Ive been trying to compile a list of summer schools for this summer that are in person rather than online. This may be somewhat optimistic - but I’m aware that some deadlines are looming so wanted to do some information gathering sooner rather than later!

My dancer will soon be thinking about whether she wants to apply to vocational school and if so, which ones. I’ve therefore been restricting my searches to summer schools that have post 16 courses. I think this might give her a taster of the school generally. She’s not yet sure whether she wants to go down the classical route or aim for a more varied dance education. Just to restrict things further, I haven’t gone for any London locations - we’re not ruling them out but thinking that maybe next summer we will have a closer look at those as options.

So far, our list for summer schools consists of:

Elmhurst,

Northern Ballet School (couldn’t find this on their website as the page link states it doesn’t exist, however when using google I came across the application form for this year),

Tring,

KS Dance

Moorland (missed the deadline for this one).

I can’t seem to find any info on whether Hammond is going ahead. Maybe someone has some info on this? I haven’t included RBS as I’m sure the deadline for that has passed. 

I was desperately hoping that RCS would go ahead this summer, but I received an email today that suggests it is online only, which is frustrating. This one was at the top of our list!

Have I missed any others that are worth considering? I know there are a few amazing summer schools that aren’t attached to vocational courses - but we wanted to kill two birds with one stone really, and try and get a taste of a school whilst attending a summer course. Also if anyone does recommend any London based summer schools, please do suggest them. 

Any guidance or suggestions gratefully received! :)

37 minutes ago, Contretemps said:

Hi all,

Ive been trying to compile a list of summer schools for this summer that are in person rather than online. This may be somewhat optimistic - but I’m aware that some deadlines are looming so wanted to do some information gathering sooner rather than later!

My dancer will soon be thinking about whether she wants to apply to vocational school and if so, which ones. I’ve therefore been restricting my searches to summer schools that have post 16 courses. I think this might give her a taster of the school generally. She’s not yet sure whether she wants to go down the classical route or aim for a more varied dance education. Just to restrict things further, I haven’t gone for any London locations - we’re not ruling them out but thinking that maybe next summer we will have a closer look at those as options.

Elmhurst,

Northern Ballet School (couldn’t find this on their website as the page link states it doesn’t exist, however when using google I came across the application form for this year),

Tring,

KS Dance

I can’t seem to find any info on whether Hammond is going ahead. Maybe someone has some info on this? I haven’t included RBS as I’m sure the deadline for that has passed. 

I was desperately hoping that RCS would go ahead this summer, but I received an email today that suggests it is online only, which is frustrating. This one was at the top of our list!

Have I missed any others that are worth considering? I know there are a few amazing summer schools that aren’t attached to vocational courses - but we wanted to kill two birds with one stone really, and try and get a taste of a school whilst attending a summer course. Also if anyone does recommend any London based summer schools, please do suggest them. 

Hiya I'm sure moorland extended their summer school deadline x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Contretemps said:

Hi all,

Elmhurst,

Tring,

KS Dance

Do you have the correct Northern Ballet school? Leeds don’t run a full time program but do have a summer school. Manchester have vocational training and have had summer school in past

1 hour ago, Pixiewoo said:

We're still waiting to find out if Performers College is still going ahead in person with their summer school.

We hadn't checked Performers - I'll look into it, thanks :) Fingers crossed it's in person. It's hard to get the proper experience remotely, although it's better than nothing I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Jane said:

Do you have the correct Northern Ballet school? Leeds don’t run a full time program but do have a summer school. Manchester have vocational training and have had summer school in past

Hi Jane - yes, it's the Manchester School (not the company).  The link on the website to the summer school at NBS doesn't load for me, but if you google it there's a form that states 2021 with the dates 2nd-7th August. There is some info on the website for a 2 day summer course in July (15th and 16th) which could be interesting. 

13 hours ago, shygirlsmum said:

I was told that NBS are not running the usual summer intensive this year, but are doing the two day course, I messaged their FB account.

Hi - thanks so much for this info, that's really helpful :) I've emailed about the two-day course and will report back once I've got more info.

22 hours ago, Sally-Anne said:

Are all of these summer schools selective? Or are they just pay and attend?

I believe (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Moorland is the only one from the above list that is selective. I think it's a combination of photos and videos that are sent through. For the others there are of course age and grade requirements, but as far as I know you don't need to provide evidence of ability. 

29 minutes ago, Contretemps said:

I believe (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Moorland is the only one from the above list that is selective. I think it's a combination of photos and videos that are sent through. For the others there are of course age and grade requirements, but as far as I know you don't need to provide evidence of ability. 

Thank-you, not sure we can handle any more video submissions!

On 09/04/2021 at 11:45, Contretemps said:

Elmhurst definitely requires photos and I believe they use them to select students  Photograph Requirements | Elmhurst Ballet School

• 4 weeks later...

There is a summer school at Barnard Castle School in County Durham organised by Stellar Performing Arts.  Ballet teacher is from Scottish Ballet and RCS.  Jazz teacher is former Head Girl of Italia Conti. Also a Performance teacher from RCS. This has been running for 3 years in Scotland but has moved to North of England to give more people access. It's ages 10-18 with jazz, ballet, commercial, Mt/Performance. Streamed from Grade 3/4 up to Advanced Ballet.

• Like 2

On 08/04/2021 at 10:14, Contretemps said:

Hi - thanks so much for this info, that's really helpful :) I've emailed about the two-day course and will report back once I've got more info.

Go to the News & Events tab on their website, scroll down and click 'Show more' - that's where the link is hidden.

9 hours ago, Elysée69 said:

There is a summer school at Barnard Castle School in County Durham organised by Stellar Performing Arts. .

That's exciting - that is where I went to school for 6th form!!  Fantastic location.

On 06/05/2021 at 11:06, Elysée69 said:

There is a summer school at Barnard Castle School in County Durham organised by Stellar Performing Arts.  Ballet teacher is from Scottish Ballet and RCS.  Jazz teacher is former Head Girl of Italia Conti. Also a Performance teacher from RCS. This has been running for 3 years in Scotland but has moved to North of England to give more people access. It's ages 10-18 with jazz, ballet, commercial, Mt/Performance. Streamed from Grade 3/4 up to Advanced Ballet.

Where can I find details of this?

Having missed the boat for summer intensive applications I'm bit stuck as what to do with the hundreds of weeks off (it seems!)  DD has off. Booked her in for a week at Malvern but trying to find something in July. Does anyone have experience of YDA or Ballet Boost holiday courses? Likely that it'll be a choice between one of them... She's 10 if it has any bearing.

2 hours ago, BellaF said:

Having missed the boat for summer intensive applications I'm bit stuck as what to do with the hundreds of weeks off (it seems!)  DD has off. Booked her in for a week at Malvern but trying to find something in July. Does anyone have experience of YDA or Ballet Boost holiday courses? Likely that it'll be a choice between one of them... She's 10 if it has any bearing.

Ballet Boost are always fab, a lot of fun and hard work too. We would always thoroughly recommend them. 

• Like 1