Summer Schools 2021 (not online)

Contretemps

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Masters of Ballet Academy has the last week in July and the first week of August - from age 8. Fabulous teachers, might be what you are looking for.

Thanks - I did have a look at this one and it looked great but only offers 2 hours a day for age 10, and as we would be staying in London for the week, would like a longer day. Have banked for the future though!

3 minutes ago, Farawaydancer said:

Ballet Boost are always fab, a lot of fun and hard work too. We would always thoroughly recommend them. 

Ace thank you 😊

• Like 1

Both Ballet Boost and YDA would be good for a 10 year old.  If you want something central Ballet Boost maybe best as it takes place in Pineapple studios in Covent Garden.  YDA are based in West London - just a short tube ride away with reasonable priced local accommodation.

18 hours ago, BellaF said:

Thanks - I did have a look at this one and it looked great but only offers 2 hours a day for age 10, and as we would be staying in London for the week, would like a longer day. Have banked for the future though!

Ace thank you 😊

You might find that Masters of Ballet actually allocate your daughter to the “junior” group, which is all day, rather than the “foundation” group, if she’s 10. My DD did it a few years ago (it was video auditions then) and we were surprised when she was put in the juniors - I think she was 9 at the time. You could email them to ask?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clara67 said:

You might find that Masters of Ballet actually allocate your daughter to the “junior” group, which is all day, rather than the “foundation” group, if she’s 10. My DD did it a few years ago (it was video auditions then) and we were surprised when she was put in the juniors - I think she was 9 at the time. You could email them to ask?

Thank you - I'll definitely ask the question 😊

• Like 1

Another brilliant summer school - although a bit older is Raw Talent

Juniors 11-14 - 26-28th August

Seniors 15 plus - 23-25 August

My son has been taught by Jose for three years now and with his amazing teaching my DS has been offered a year 10 place at WL amongst other students who also got offered places there.  HIs courses are amazing.  (BTW I don't work for them - just one very happy parent!)

The standard is very high and the classes are small so if anyone interested and can get to Buckinghamshire (close to  Tring)  you can email them on rawt_alent@outlook.com

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 13:49, BellaF said:

Having missed the boat for summer intensive applications I'm bit stuck as what to do with the hundreds of weeks off (it seems!)  DD has off. Booked her in for a week at Malvern but trying to find something in July. Does anyone have experience of YDA or Ballet Boost holiday courses? Likely that it'll be a choice between one of them... She's 10 if it has any bearing.

Which week is she going? My 10 year old DD will be there week 2 😊

On 07/04/2021 at 14:50, Contretemps said:

Hi all,

Ive been trying to compile a list of summer schools for this summer that are in person rather than online. This may be somewhat optimistic - but I’m aware that some deadlines are looming so wanted to do some information gathering sooner rather than later!

My dancer will soon be thinking about whether she wants to apply to vocational school and if so, which ones. I’ve therefore been restricting my searches to summer schools that have post 16 courses. I think this might give her a taster of the school generally. She’s not yet sure whether she wants to go down the classical route or aim for a more varied dance education. Just to restrict things further, I haven’t gone for any London locations - we’re not ruling them out but thinking that maybe next summer we will have a closer look at those as options.

So far, our list for summer schools consists of:

Elmhurst,

Northern Ballet School (couldn’t find this on their website as the page link states it doesn’t exist, however when using google I came across the application form for this year),

Tring,

KS Dance

Moorland (missed the deadline for this one).

I can’t seem to find any info on whether Hammond is going ahead. Maybe someone has some info on this? I haven’t included RBS as I’m sure the deadline for that has passed. 

I was desperately hoping that RCS would go ahead this summer, but I received an email today that suggests it is online only, which is frustrating. This one was at the top of our list!

Have I missed any others that are worth considering? I know there are a few amazing summer schools that aren’t attached to vocational courses - but we wanted to kill two birds with one stone really, and try and get a taste of a school whilst attending a summer course. Also if anyone does recommend any London based summer schools, please do suggest them. 

Any guidance or suggestions gratefully received! :)

Audition applications are now open for NYB's Dancers Development Experience - a non-residential week long course. More info at https://nationalyouthballet.org/take-part/dancers-development-experience/