RB Nutcracker Winter 2020/21

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, alison said:

Surely you can read Telegraph reviews if you log in?  I don't have a problem (except when I want to read more than my allotted one or two articles per week).

Ah, but to log in you have to agree to receive emails from the Telegraph, or you did last time I looked, and I am not prepared to agree to that. I used to visit my local library regularly and look at the articles I'd made note of.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

Ah, but to log in you have to agree to receive emails from the Telegraph, or you did last time I looked, and I am not prepared to agree to that. I used to visit my local library regularly and look at the articles I'd made note of.

I marked them as spam and eventually they all went directly to the trash

1 hour ago, MargaretN7 said:

Now you mention it, I don't think I've had any emails from the Telegraph in ages.  Possibly since GDPR came in - surely they're not allowed to send you emails if you don't want them?  Anyway, if you have a library card, you can quite likely read the Telegraph online anyway.

It already feels rather poignant to be talking  about Sunday’s performance given the developments today, but I feel extremely lucky and privileged to have seen it, having missed out on the previous galas because of lockdown - just got to see this in the nick of time.

It felt wonderful just to be back in the building, not that I saw much of it. But the production itself didn’t really feel lacking in any way - the revamped battle scene was effective, the party scene felt more like an intimate family gathering rather than a big event, but no worse for that. The children who were there performed beautifully (I don’t know who the red haired lad is but he stood out for me as a lovely little dancer with a real presence and personality). Fewer snowflakes didn’t detract from the effect. And of course, the glorious music still sounded wonderful with a smaller orchestra.

I have to say I spent most of Act 1 in tears (Gary Avis’s first chuck of glitter set me off!), the wonderful transformation scene (as impressive as ever), and that gorgeous Clara/Hans Peter pas de deux, followed by the snowflakes..... bliss, I had thought it would be much longer before I could watch a ballet in the ROH again and it was just wonderful to be there and immersed in it.

Managed to pull myself together for Act 2, until Nunez and Muntagirov set me off again! Act 2 was just as lovely as ever although it was a shame the Spanish and Arabian danced were taken out, but what remained was superb. Actually, I very nearly missed Act 2 - I hadn’t realised that there was no warning announcement or bell when the interval was due to end, and was talking to a friend when the orchestra started retuning. I had to sprint back to the stalls but some doors were no entry so - panic! An usher showed me the way but by the time I got back to the stalls entrance the music had started! God bless the lovely front of house manager who took pity on my consternation and let me in! But I then had to run right down to the front only to find I couldn’t get into my row because two blind girls with guide dogs were at the end and I couldn’t in all conscience ask them to move. So I had to duck and sprint along the empty row behind and clamber over the people at the other end to reach my seat, with the whole audience glaring at me..... 😳. If you were there and I momentarily blocked your view, I can only apologise....Yes, I became the sort of person I normally tut at - I will be more tolerant in future! Finally slunk in shame into my seat at the exact moment the curtains opened!

Embarrassment aside (I’m still squirming!), the performances were all fantastic. Standouts for me were of course Anna Rose O’Sullivan and James Hay (he makes a lovely Hans Peter). I’ve seen a good few Rose Fairies now but I think so far Claire Calvert is my favourite. She may have missed out on the Sugar Plum Fairy role this year but she really made her Rose Fairy count. Giacomo Rovero danced the Russian and I found him a very engaging performer. And of course Nuñez and Muntagirov were just sublime. A reviewer recently suggested that they are always so good that there is almost no point saying any more about them. I disagree - if a performer is as good as they invariably are, then they deserve the praise as much as anyone else. We are privileged to have two such consummate artists here in the UK to enjoy and we shouldn’t begin to take them for granted. I think the look on James Hay’s face as he watched them from the edge of the stage said it all! It looked like love!

Now back down to earth earth with a considerable bump, and wondering when another visit is likely to be possible....🙁

• Like 16

What a fabulous review Balletfanp. I could almost imagine myself there (I wish!) I do so agree with what you say about Vadim and Marianela. We are so privileged to have two such great artists choosing to live and work in London we should never take them for granted. 

Your attempt to get back to your seat made me laugh. I could just see me doing exactly the same. why have they done away with the bell? Is it to stop people going back to their seats all at once. 

Would your performance be the last one before tier three? What a shame after all the dancers and ROH staff hard work to make the building safe. I bet its a lot safer than many London shopping areas which seem horrendous judging by photos. 

• Like 5

Don’t worry too much Balletfanp most people I’m sure were just really glad that they were not you lol! 
Ive a very  hairy but funny ( well now) story to tell of an experience at the Mariinsky of all theatres but we were probably equally annoying though not really our fault!! 

Last time I saw ROH Nutcracker I had a very good seat and absolutely loved James Hay in this role.....in fact it seems like the identical cast from 2 years ago!!  I was much much closer than I usual am and have always loved Hay’s classical line and purity of style but an added dimension was being able to see his eyes and expressions ...a truly excellent and attentive Hans Peter! 
But I think I’m a tad biased now! 

Commiserations to anybody who has to miss their Nutcracker performances due to London going into Tier 3 very very disappointing for audience goers and dancers alike 😢 
Still nearly at end of 2020 and not surprisingly we have an astronomical event next week ( conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn) so a sort of “double star” like appearance to mark the end of a very difficult year. Ironically Jupiter is for expansion and generosity Saturn for restraint and discipline!! So perhaps via one we get to the other!! 
Let’s hope 2021 is a better year and can see some old friends at the ROH again. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Your attempt to get back to your seat made me laugh. I could just see me doing exactly the same. why have they done away with the bell? Is it to stop people going back to their seats all at once. 

Would your performance be the last one before tier three?

I think so - I made a point of thanking the front of house manager as I was leaving and trying to explain that I wasn’t usually that clueless (well, not most of the time!), and he did say that they couldn’t do so at the moment - I couldn’t question him further as I was blocking the exit and I didn’t want to blot my copybook any more than I had already!

I think there is one more performance tonight.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the streamed Nutcracker, does anyone know which cast it will be?  I assume it has already been filmed.  Sorry for those of you who had tickets and now cannot see it at the opera house, as well as all the dancers.

Hopefully we will get back to normal soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Margaret said:

Looking forward to the streamed Nutcracker, does anyone know which cast it will be?  I assume it has already been filmed.  Sorry for those of you who had tickets and now cannot see it at the opera house, as well as all the dancers.

Hopefully we will get back to normal soon.

As I understand it, it will be filmed and broadcast on the 22nd as planned.

Cast: Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Christopher Saunders, Isabella Gasparini, Luca Acri

Edited by oncnp

28 minutes ago, oncnp said:

As I understand it, it will be filmed and broadcast on the 22nd as planned.

Cast: Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Christopher Saunders, Isabella Gasparini, Luca Acri

This is correct, as I type. Fingers crossed it stays that way

• Like 2

I also can’t bear the blonde wigs.   The other hair I can’t stand is the furry fake facial fluff on the Russian dancers, so I was thrilled to see it ditched by Yudes and Rovero on Sunday.  How sad it would have been to miss Rovero’s gorgeous smile because of those ridiculous beards!!  

• Like 9

Reading Lyndsey Winship's Guardian review (lovely mention for James Hay), I noticed she referred to being at the 499th RB Nutcracker performance. That means the next one, Saturday's I presume, was the 500th. Was it mentioned?
Glad that they made that one. Here's to the next 500.

• Like 2

Lovely performance this evening (and this was the 500th, so LW must not have been at the first night). These dancers are so committed and so courageous; they gave their all even in the face of another heartbreaking rupture. As Drosselmeyer, Gary Avis really dominated the proceedings and bathed the performance in mystery, drama and emotion. Meaghan Grace Hinkis and Valentino Zucchetti worked together well as Clara and Hans-Peter, Fumi Kaneko was the most beautiful and glamorous Rose Fairy, and Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli brought warmth, expressiveness and musicality to the Sugar Plum Fairy and The Prince. Yes, I did feel the effects of the Covid-required adaptations and there were times when the stage looked a little under-populated; the smaller orchestra did sound a little thin at times; and the auditorium was less than half full. But this performance was an act of faith, in ballet and everything it represents; it embodied the hope, the beauty and the transformative power of this art form, at an incredibly difficult time for everyone. So many thanks to all the performers and musicians and to everyone who has worked so hard to stage these performances.

• Like 19

Last night was a wonderful cast. My husband’s first ever ballet so thrilled that everyone was on top form, especially the assured Sugar Plum/Prince which was just perfection. Kaneko delighted as the Rose fairy, Hinkis is always a graceful but free in her dancing, the super springy Zuchetti was a cracking nutcracker and the whole cast were giving it their all. Glad to see Avis- my favourite Drosslmeyer because of his incredible acting ability- also armed with extra glitter!

This is not my favourite ballet and yet I do find myself welling up at the end when Hans-Peter returns to Drosslmeyer. 

To top it all, some great pics which left husband in charge of as better phone but they are too big to share!

• Like 10

It was such a pleasure being back in ROH even for just a wee while last night, tinged with a little sadness that we don't know when we'll be back (it would be a miracle if we get those shows after Christmas). Also seeing Nathalie Harrison's last performance - she has long been one of my favourites, and I think she started with the Royal just a few months before I started going to see performances, so has been one of those constants (apart from matenity leave of course!); still, I got to see her dance for once last time, as a lead flower, and the first snowflake - the first snowflake that always says to me - Christmas is coming.

Agree with most other posters above - Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli simply floated together in that iconic Gpdd, making ballet dancing look as natural as breathing. The SPF solo variation has long been one of my faves, it was what brought me to ROH in the first place, after seeing Miyako Yoshida dancing it on TV. And Laura didn't let us down. Fumi Kaneko was superb as Rose Fairy (Principal in waiting, I'm sure - after all, she was in the forefront for that position before 2 nasty injuries got in the way). Another that caught my eye was Leticia Dias as the Vivandiere 'doll' in Act 1 - absolutely nailed it (and I've seen some higher ranked dancers struggle a bit with that short 'star turn').

I couldn't help myself but to notice the differences from a 'normal' full on show - some bits I missed, some actually worked better. But the one thing I missed most was the heavenly children's choir, in the Snowflakes dance.

Roll on the streaming next week - I'll be watching that a good few times for sure! 🙂

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Jane S said:

Both Christopher Saunders and Elizabeth McGorian were in the first-night Nutcracker cast, 36 years ago - was either of them in #500?

And I wonder how many hundred they've each done in between?

According to the cast sheets - yes

Dr Stahlbaum CHRISTOPHER SAUNDERS

Mrs Stahlbaum ELIZABETH MCGORIAN 

and I'm not sure its the 500th performance of the Nutcracker. The cast sheet says 

THE 500TH PERFORMANCE BY THE ROYAL BALLET  AT THE ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

Edited by oncnp

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

and I'm not sure its the 500th performance of the Nutcracker. The cast sheet says 

Yes, the 500th performance of The Nutcracker by the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House (there is a similar statement about the relevant piece on all RB cast sheets).  The Royal Ballet have performed significantly more than 500 times at the ROH - i imagine some posters on here (myself included) have been to more than 500 performances by the RB at the ROH.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

Over 36 years (including 2020 and years such as 2019 when no Nutcracker) that averages at just under 14 performances a year so more than likely. Actually seems like a relatively low count - other than 2019, when else has Nutcracker not been performed at Christmas?

9 hours ago, capybara said:

Meanwhile, on Instagram Christopher Saunders is saying, in response to a question, that he thinks he has been in 450 of the 500. Dr Stalbaum, Arabian, Drosselmeyer, party attender etc.

Amazing!

He was in the Arabian Dance on the first night. Can be seen in the Collier/Dowell video

Have just received e-mail from ROH

Due to London's move to Tier 3, we can no longer welcome live audiences into the Royal Opera House and must with sadness cancel the remaining performances of The Nutcracker.

and the ROH has removed (or relocated at least) the link to apply for refunds.....

Edited by oncnp

I am so sorry and so angry.  The shops were so crowded today.   Why can we ram into shops but can’t sit in a disinfected, socially distant theatre, wearing masks?  It just doesn’t make any sense to me.   So it looks like it will be a long time before any dancers can dance live for us again.   Pitiful.  😢🤬

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am so sorry and so angry.  The shops were so crowded today.   Why can we ram into shops but can’t sit in a disinfected, socially distant theatre, wearing masks?  It just doesn’t make any sense to me.   So it looks like it will be a long time before any dancers can dance live for us again.   Pitiful.  😢🤬

It is farcical but unfortunately ministers  (irrespective of party affiliation) officials and experts don’t want to admit to errors so I suspect we will be stuck like this until the Spring. Let’s hope the vaccine rollout proceeds smoothly and at pace! 🤞

• Like 4

During the last week, I have been at the ROH twice where I felt completely safe and at an orthopaedic clinic once where, despite all the temperature-taking and hand sanitisers, I did not feel comfortable. The essential difference, I think, was that the ROH was an open and airy space whereas the clinic had small waiting areas with low ceilings and a feeling of airlessness. In the former, people were wearing masks, in the latter even one receptionist did not have his mask up fully over his nose, neither did some of the clientele. My concerns were met with a cheery, "Don't worry, we're very Covid secure here". "Only as secure as the staff and patients allow you to be", was my reply.

• Like 7