RB Nutcracker Winter 2020/21

I too wish that the theatres were open, and agree that other things that are still allowed seem less safe. But there's a "budget" of activities which can be allowed if infections are to be kept within a certain range and officials and, yes, ministers are having to make very difficult trade offs in deciding which things can best keep the economy going.  For now retail, especially with half the high street dying and these being the most important shopping weeks of the year, has won.

I don't like that decision, but it's not illogical. Have they always made the right calls? No - but none of us has a crystal ball.

• Like 5

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The RB is advertising the 22nd Dec livestream with a clip featuring Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Clara & a dancer I can't place as the Nephew. Is it from a cinecast that didn't make it to DVD or would have just been a short segment filmed for publicity purposes?

41 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The RB is advertising the 22nd Dec livestream with a clip featuring Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Clara & a dancer I can't place as the Nephew. Is it from a cinecast that didn't make it to DVD or would have just been a short segment filmed for publicity purposes?

Ricardo Cervera  

http://www.roh.org.uk/people/ricardo-cervera

Edited by oncnp

Oh dear, I'm disappointed enough about not being able to see The Nutcracker but I'm also worried it might mean all other theatre companies in tier 4 with planned planned livestreams might have to cancel them as well. My favourite theatre company is supposed to be doing 6 livestreams between Christmas & New Year & I'll be incredibly disappointed if they're all cancelled. Nutcracker-wise, I've just booked for BRB's instead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Related-

Just saw a long report on US broadcast TV - on the NBC morning news - under the alarmist title “Christmas Cancelled in London!” Sad.

Ha it’s not actually alarmist, unfortunately.  Christmas is indeed cancelled here in London and southeast England.  🤬😢

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Wonder if they can show the 2018 one that's showing on Britbox and/or Netflix?  There's probably some contractual arrangement which means they can't :(

I think you're right. Did the ROH sell the rights when they sold Opus Art to Naxos? 

20 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ha it’s not actually alarmist, unfortunately.  Christmas is indeed cancelled here in London and southeast England.  🤬😢

Events, restaurants, shows related to Xmas (or Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, whatever) are cancelled, yes. The observance of religious holidays? Something fundamental cannot be cancelled by governmental decree.  :) 

Anyways, happy days and ballets are ahead!

• Like 2

Many thanks Jeannette. I agree: Christmas and New Year are not cancelled but are clearly very different from what we’re used to or what we might have been planning. It’s still very good to wish people Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year when thanks to the vaccines we’ll hopefully see COVID better controlled and a return to more normal times.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Events, restaurants, shows related to Xmas (or Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, whatever) are cancelled, yes. The observance of religious holidays? Something fundamental cannot be cancelled by governmental decree.  :) 

Anyways, happy days and ballets are ahead!

Not only shows, restaurants and events...we are banned from seeing any family or anyone who doesn’t happen to live in our houses....many of whom we haven’t seen all year.  So this is a lot more than about the closure of restaurants and theatres.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MJW said:

Something a bit more cheery - behind the scenes with Anna Rose O'Sullivan by Andre Uspenski (DancersDiary on IG)         

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJEZMYvgU4G/

(I think those who don't use Instagram should hopefully still be able to watch)

lovely 🙏 ... From a few years ago as ANna-Rose is a first soloist now.  Artist says the video 😉

4 minutes ago, FionaE said:

lovely 🙏 ... From a few years ago as ANna-Rose is a first soloist now.  Artist says the video 😉

I have to say I didn't notice that, but her mention of two performances on the same day and all the younger dancers  being in the same studio (plus James Hay's hair being much longer (!)) made me think it was from a few years ago 😄

Edited by MJW
addition of wording

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Many thanks Jeannette. I agree: Christmas and New Year are not cancelled but are clearly very different from what we’re used to or what we might have been planning. It’s still very good to wish people Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year when thanks to the vaccines we’ll hopefully see COVID better controlled and a return to more normal times.

Thanks, John. The words “Christmas is cancelled” here = closure of places of worship...which is in the process of being legally contested, jurisdiction by jurisdiction. (Discrimination lawsuits.) Don’t want to stray too far off course. Thx to you & Sim for clarifying the situation over there.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Thanks, John. The words “Christmas is cancelled” here = closure of places of worship...which is in the process of being legally contested, jurisdiction by jurisdiction. (Discrimination lawsuits.) Don’t want to stray too far off course. Thx to you & Sim for clarifying the situation over there.

It’s complicated here Jeannette because different parts of the country are on different levels of restriction.  Here in London and southeast England we are on the most severe level of restriction.   

• Like 1

Two years ago, Anna Rose was dancing her Clara with Marcelino Sambe (the recording was,apparently, on Netflix tonight). She was a Soloist then. The film therefore dates back at least three years to when she was still a First Artist and having to dance corps roles in the matinee on the same day that she had a Clara in the evening with James Hay.

18 hours ago, Ivy Lin said:

So sorry but I keep thinking we have three months left of this. We should be able to get a significant portion of our population vaccinated by March and April.

IF (if?) Hancock can deliver on his promise for 1 million doses to be administered per week from January to April then that’s only 8.5 million people vaccinated each 4 months / 17 weeks period (each person needs 2 doses). 

4 months ~ 17 weeks ~ 17 million doses ~ 8.5 million people

8.5 million people is only 13% of UK population.  That’s not sufficient for herd immunity?  

or is my maths wrong?

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

IF (if?) Hancock can deliver on his promise for 1 million doses to be administered per week from January to April then that’s only 8.5 million people vaccinated each 4 months / 17 weeks period (each person needs 2 doses). 

4 months ~ 17 weeks ~ 17 million doses ~ 8.5 million people

8.5 million people is only 13% of UK population.  That’s not sufficient for herd immunity?  

or is my maths wrong?

From what I understand if they move thriugh the most vulnerable people first (frontline workers, people in long term care, elderly, pre-existing comorbidities) the number of seriously ill will fall quickly. Hospitals will be less overwhelmed and the situation should be way more under control.

Of course I'm just trying to be optimistic about the vaccine timeline. 

• Like 5

On 21/12/2020 at 17:30, Sim said:

I don’t think that Christmas is cancelled. Most people, including myself, have sadly had to cancel or rethink their people, places and plans for the Christmas period due to a global pandemic. This is indeed unfortunate and I wish that things were different. Nevertheless there is still much joy to be found in discovering new things, doing things differently or in doing things that I never had time for in previous years. 
E.g. I was going to feed on ROH Nuts as a part of my Christmas celebrations. Instead I have the opportunity to feast on a Global Mixed Nut Selection from around the world. Not the same, but it will be equally enjoyable if I allow myself to enjoy it.

Just as COVID doesn’t recognise Christmas, Christmas isn’t cancelled due to COVID. It It may not be what I anticipated, but Christmas is still Christmas and will happen as always on December 25th. 
Merry Christmas one and all 🔔 🎄 🎁 🩰 

• Like 18