RB Nutcracker Winter 2020/21

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just done a reply to the Mark Monahan Telegraph review. The more I read it the angrier I got about it. I hope I kept to the rules and don't get deleted. I finished with saying I'm glad I've just ended my online subscription if this is the level of ballet reviews in the Telegraph and I'm sure readers would get a much better impression of the performance by reading the Times review. 

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Ive just done a reply to the Mark Monahan Telegraph review. The more I read it the angrier I got about it. I hope I kept to the rules and don't get deleted. I finished with saying I'm glad I've just ended my online subscription if this is the level of ballet reviews in the Telegraph and I'm sure readers would get a much better impression of the performance by reading the Times review. 

Just read your comment on the T'graph's comment section - I agree entirely. I'm afraid the paper has been going down hill for some time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MJW said:

Just read your comment on the T'graph's comment section - I agree entirely. I'm afraid the paper has been going down hill for some time.

Thanks MJW. I thought afterwards I'd overdone it. It's good to know it's not just me who feels strongly that the ROH should not be rubbished for trying to protect its workforce and visitors, and to create an environment where people can feel comfortable returning to the theatre. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Thank you, jmhopton. I agree very much with your comments under the review and I've just posted a comment of my own. What a mean-spirited review it was!

• Like 3

Thanks bridiem. I thought of a lot more as soon as I'd posted it such as yes, ballet dancers are super fit but they still don't want to risk getting a disease that can leave them with long term breathing problems, not to mention the problems with transmission and widespread isolating that can result from even one dancer catching the virus. It just came over as an incredible petulant, self-centred review as if the performance was all about his enjoyment (or lack of it) and very little if any recognition of all the hard work and planning gone into making it possible at all. I could go on for ever but as soon as I do I find myself getting angry again. Sloooow down and deep breathing..... Think of the wonderful performance that gave pleasure to so many and not one idiot reviewer.

Edited by jmhopton
add information
  • Like 8

I've just read your comments Joan and agree with every word.

I think everyone knows that I am not a fan of this production but A LIVE BALLET in a theatre WITH AN AUDIENCE is something to be celebrated and the carping of the critic is beyond the pale.  Bravo Royal Ballet and I envy everyone who is able to go to ROH and see this production.

• Like 12

I must admit I agree with Janet, not my favourite production.  But it is wonderful that they have managed to get it on stage at all!  One of the things I have always disliked are the sparkly wigs the SPF and her Cavalier wear.  Marco Sambé mentioned them during the Black History Month Insight.  When speaking of Afro hair he said that he couldn't see himself being cast in this role in Nutcracker as he couldn't wear the wig. So I am curious to see what will happen!  

Here is an earlier production which has much to recommend it.  Park wear's a beautiful tiara reminscent of a Kokoshnik and Nureyev is bare headed.

Merle Park and Nureyev 

• Like 4

Yes, I'm with you Pas de Quatre about the wigs. Even though I love both Peter Wright Nutcracker productions I do have issues with the wigs. I know they do it to blend in with the sparkly pink/gold sets but I do find it spoils my enjoyment of the grand pas. That's why it was so great to see it performed by Vadim and Marianela so wonderfully in the Ballet Academy production earlier this week dressed just in practice clothes. For the first time I really appreciated the beauty of the pas de deux with no sparkly wigs to irritate me. (I also really dislike the blond wig forced on all Titania's with less justification as there is nothing really to blend in with here.)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

One of the things I have always disliked are the sparkly wigs the SPF and her Cavalier wear.  Marco Sambé mentioned them during the Black History Month Insight.  When speaking of Afro hair he said that he couldn't see himself being cast in this role in Nutcracker as he couldn't wear the wig. So I am curious to see what will happen!  

I'm sure the wigs department will think of something but I agree that no wig would be better (not just for Mr Sambé ).  dancersdiary  posted a rehearsal picture a couple days ago of Muntagiorov wigless (and crownless) which I think would look fine with just the crown to define his head outline (and keep the flying hair in place)

I am so jealous. Truthfully, at this point, I would be willing to watch any professional company's Nutcracker live. I don't think Mr. Monaghan understands the huge undertaking of putting on a live show on stage in the time of covid. The ballet companies here in the states have to follow an inordinate amount of regulations just to be working in the studios on a daily basis, and I have heard the same in the UK. Enjoy your performances, and I pray that you do not go into Tier 3 so that the dancers can continue to dance on stage! 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, fromthebalcony said:

I am so jealous. Truthfully, at this point, I would be willing to watch any professional company's Nutcracker live. I don't think Mr. Monaghan understands the huge undertaking of putting on a live show on stage in the time of covid. The ballet companies here in the states have to follow an inordinate amount of regulations just to be working in the studios on a daily basis, and I have heard the same in the UK. Enjoy your performances, and I pray that you do not go into Tier 3 so that the dancers can continue to dance on stage! 

I think you're right, from the balcony, when you say Mr Monahan doesn't understand the huge undertaking involved in staging a ballet in these difficult times. But that does rather beg the question as to why he is a professional ballet reviewer when so many non-professional balletgoers do understand the problems and are grateful they have been surmounted. Anyway, enough about him. Let's get back to the real joy of discussing actual live performances. I too am really jealous of those scheduled to sit in a theatre and watch a live performance. However, I'm really looking forward to Dec 19th when I can access the BRB Nutcracker and Dec 22nd when I can do the same with the RB version. Thank goodness for livestreams  as I don't know when I'll be going to a London theatre again much as I long to.  I hope the RB stream is still able to go ahead even if the London situation changes.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

A few more from Friday, obviously they would've been better if the bar had been open 🙂

C'mon - where's Muntagirov tripping over the flowers? 😀

Regarding the wigs, I just went to check if my memory was deceiving me but no; from the Nutcracker with Miyako Yoshida & Jonathan Cope (I’m not sure what year but have a vague (teenaged!?) memory it was on TV over Christmas & that Johan Kobborg should originally have been the prince) they are *not* wearing gold wigs but rather dark hair/ wigs with glitter sprinkled on. I think it looks rather good (like sparkly icing sugar?). I think that when it was broadcast (??) again with Stephen McRae & Yoshida the blond wigs were back (or were they actually new at that point?) Certainly I think it’s now well past time that blond wigs should be needed/ expected! 

Sorry for any inaccuracies regarding the spelling of names btw...

Lovely pictures 😊

Edited by Ianlond
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Just to clarify that that review is of Friday’s performance

And they were all just as wonderful today.

Huge kudos to O’Sullivan, Hay and Calvert who have danced three shows running.

The Broadway World reviewer clearly hasn’t registered that O’Sullivan is debuting as the SPF in this very run.

• Like 4

I have probably mentioned before how much I hate those wigs.  In fact, every time the Nutcracker is staged in London!  Sugar plums come in all different colours, I don't see what the problem is with natural hair and a dusting of glitter.  

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, capybara said:

The Broadway World reviewer clearly hasn’t registered that O’Sullivan is debuting as the SPF in this very run.

I think the reviewer has:

“Anna-Rose O'Sullivan reprises the role of Clara and will debut as the Sugar Plum Fairy later in the run. As much as we wait for that with great anticipation, her youthful looks, light, buoyant dancing with beautiful lines suit Clara so well, it'll be a shame when she graduates to the prime spot in the cast.”

• Like 4

I’ve always disliked the blonde wigs too. 
Thankyou Pas de Quatre for the Park/ Nureyev clip ...lovely. A bit before my ROH going days which started around 1968. But saw Park and Nureyev together a few times though not in Nutcracker. 
I know the Nutcracker is often seen as a light ballet but the music for it is just so glorious from the pas de deux at end of Act one to Snowflakes with the choir and then this really lovely final pas de deux ...and lots of other delights in between as well! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I think the reviewer has:

“Anna-Rose O'Sullivan reprises the role of Clara and will debut as the Sugar Plum Fairy later in the run. As much as we wait for that with great anticipation, her youthful looks, light, buoyant dancing with beautiful lines suit Clara so well, it'll be a shame when she graduates to the prime spot in the cast.”

There was a typo which has now been sorted! 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I know that the Sugar Plum is a major career milestone for any ballerina, but I agree with the sentiment of the reviewer quoted here. Clara is the better part in my eyes, as it is all her story. And it must be so fun to dance. I'd rather see Francesca Hayward as Clara again than SPF, for example. Just my view. And I'd love to see Mayara Magri as both. What a shame she isn't doing either. Ah well, the Royal Ballet is spoiled for talent, especially the women

ps: Also HATE the wigs.

• Like 4

Unfortunately I can’t read the Telegraph review because I don’t subscribe so only get the first paragraph etc. 
But am surprised Mark Monahan wouldn’t understand the complexities and problems of putting on a production under the current conditions as isn’t his mother an ex Royal Ballet dancer? 
I don’t know what he said but perhaps was having an off night or just didn’t enjoy the conditions under which the performance  was attended which affected how he felt. 

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Unfortunately I can’t read the Telegraph review because I don’t subscribe so only get the first paragraph etc. 
But am surprised Mark Monahan wouldn’t understand the complexities and problems of putting on a production under the current conditions as isn’t his mother an ex Royal Ballet dancer? 
I don’t know what he said but perhaps was having an off night or just didn’t enjoy the conditions under which the performance  was attended which affected how he felt. 

It was also referenced in yesterday's links which may still work