Summer schools 2020 (will any run)?

Darcey15

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m pretty sure none will run which is so so sad not only for the students but the missed income for businesses. I don’t even know if lessons will resume as normal in September as social distancing in a studio is hard to imagine. Stay well everyone that’s the focus 

• Like 2

Once schools open i am very optimistic, plus we are hopefully moving into the next phase soon with shops etc opening. For those that can offer it without boarding and limit numbers I feel they should certainly give it a good go! 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Summer schools 2020 (will any run)?

My son is supposed to attend Royal Ballet summer school which isn’t cancelled as yet. I expect it to get cancelled, I’m sure the last email I received said they would reach a decision by the end of May. He couldn’t go if we couldn’t board as we stay in Scotland. 🤦‍♀️

4 hours ago, Darcey15 said:

Once schools open i am very optimistic, plus we are hopefully moving into the next phase soon with shops etc opening. For those that can offer it without boarding and limit numbers I feel they should certainly give it a good go! 

Very few offer it without boarding or at least the need to stay in a hotel 

will they be open?

i think the more we’re hearing courses are being cancelled (Hammond cancelled theirs today) the more unlikely any will go ahead. Best to manage expectations by preparing kids that they won’t be going. 
We have done this. Very sad but reality unfortunately imho. 

• Like 2

Elmhurst cancelled their summer school a few weeks ago. Which was absolutely the right decision I thought. The email was perfectly sensible and explained their reasons clearly. I can see why RBS might hold out as long as possible- it's a massive source of income for them but bottom line, it may be taken out of their hands esp if the UK get hit with a second wave of covid as other countries have

• Like 2

My DS had a place on the Joffrey Academy Summer Intensive in Chicago. However, they have cancelled the full schedule of summer intensives. I think Illinois was amongst the worst infected states (at the start of the outbreak). They are offering a digital offering, but with time difference between the USA and UK, it’s not possible to engage fully. 

• Like 1

Very sad about RBS Summer intensives and everything else. I think my DS is loosing interest a bit in ballet and experiencing digital fatigue from the various zoom classes. I am also wondering what they will offer instead (including the masterclass they mentioned). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Very sad about RBS Summer intensives and everything else. I think my DS is loosing interest a bit in ballet and experiencing digital fatigue from the various zoom classes. I am also wondering what they will offer instead (including the masterclass they mentioned). 

I hear you with difficulty for your son sustaining his interest in ballet. My son has found it so hard to stay focused and motivated. 

He started off great, but is struggling with a virtual interface. It will be a full six months absence of actual classes once he returns in September. If they do!!

He doesn’t want to do RB’s virtual offering whatever it is and I don’t blame him.

• Like 1

My daughter’s absolutely gutted about the summer intensive, she’s been so looking forward to it. Sadly an online version will hardly match the experience. She wants to audition for White Lodge next year, and this would’ve given her an idea of what it’s all about. Also losing motivation, like others are saying, the video lessons just aren’t the same. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Niknik10 said:

My son is also gutted. He made it to final auditions at white lodge this year but didn’t get a place. This was all he had left. I had prepared him for it but he’s gutted all the same 

Ah, I am sorry to hear that. It’s hard for them isn’t it. 

Hi , I know a lot of people’s plans for SS  have been cancelled so I just wanted to share what my dd is doing - a SS for 13 years upwards with Sarah Toner. I think quite a few people ‘s dc on here have worked with her- ex BRB . She’s offering online SS all through August - classes capped at 8 students . Classes include classical, classical solo, contemporary solo and audition work and private coaching session. Parent watching feedback at end of week.  You pick yr week .

I’m sure many of you are sorted and  I don’t want this to be an advert , I just wanted  to help anyone , particularly dc going into yr 11 with upper school auditions  , who maybe are stuck for ideas for the summer .  

• Like 2

Hi! Don’t know if this will help anyone but I’ve recently seen on Instagram that Dutch National Ballet Academy are hosting an online intensive and Royal has also announced one (with details to follow in mid-June). Hope everyone’s doing well xx

• Like 1

Am I the only cynic on here I wonder who will be musing at how much RBS & others will charge & how ‘open to all’ classes will or won’t be & thus how much an individual is likely to get from these? And if this will end up becoming a new very profitable income stream???

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Am I the only cynic on here I wonder who will be musing at how much RBS & others will charge & how ‘open to all’ classes will or won’t be & thus how much an individual is likely to get from these? And if this will end up becoming a new very profitable income stream???

My DD was looking forward to 2 weeks at YBSS and I would gladly support any online alternative with them as she loves all YBSS events.  

RBS on the other hand never select her for SS so I would begrudge putting any 💰 in their well lined pockets 😂

• Like 2