Jump to content

The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, December 2018 - January 2019


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is full!  More so than the cast list which will be issued to cinemas, I'd guess, based on usual experience.  Wonder if it will continue, or whether this is just a one-off? 

 

I can't help thinking, though, that if they were going for a DVD they might have put Naghdi in as Rose Fairy?  When was the last time they actually released a DVD?  Probably not that long ago.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, alison said:

I can't help thinking, though, that if they were going for a DVD they might have put Naghdi in as Rose Fairy?  When was the last time they actually released a DVD?  Probably not that long ago.

 

As Naghdi still danced the Rose Fairy last Season and the cinema relay they surely could make a DVD of that performance, with Hayward as Clara.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really the correct thread for this discussion but the latest Nutcracker DVD (Cuthbertson/Bonelli) has Hayward as Clara along with Campbell.

Last year's cinema relay has not emerged as a DVD/BluRay but maybe they didn't want to repeat the 'young couple' .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great to have such a comprehensive cast list and what a mouth watering cast list it is. I note they are advertising the online digital programme which have been unavailable for the last few screened productions  - but not offering it free for the evening as has happened previously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was spontaneous applause for Nela and Vadream throughout the Sugar Plum section of the ballet at the Lincoln Odeon. The whole ballet was a sheer pleasure from start to finish. Marcellino Sambe and Anna Rose O’Sullivan were a joy to watch both separately and together, Gary Avis is the perfect Drosselmayer and all the character dances were beautifully danced. Vadream can do no wrong in my eyes and Marianela was sheer class and a delight to watch. Bravo, Royal Ballet!

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Great to have such a comprehensive cast list and what a mouth watering cast list it is. I note they are advertising the online digital programme which have been unavailable for the last few screened productions  - but not offering it free for the evening as has happened previously.

 

The code is FREENUT

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mummykool said:

 

The code is FREENUT

Thank you - I heard mention of a free download on the broadcast this evening but was going to guess the code.

 

What a brilliant first night. So much to praise and lovely to see Sir Peter Wright at the curtain call. This production has lasted well and the various embellishments and refinements over the years have definitely been improvements. It is interesting to make a comparison with the early tv recording featuring Collier and Dowell to see the various changes. Christmas has begun!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terrific performance, and a full house at the Ritzy in Brixton, including quite a few children (dressed up as if going to the Opera House!). Nunez and Muntagirov: I nearly cried at the sheer brilliance of their dancing. O'Sullivan and Sambé both danced beautifully and acted with touching sincerity throughout the performance so you really felt invested in their journey. And yes, Gary Avis is just magnificent as Drosselmeyer - such authority and mystery and a total command of the stage. Fumi Kaneko was a lovely, gracious Rose Fairy. The whole company just seems to be flying at the moment. And wonderful to see Sir Peter Wright take a curtain call with such vigour and to such an enthusiastic reception!

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The Linbury Experience" tonight was absolutely wonderful. OK, there were some teething problems on the part of the Ushers and there were difficulties with timing the house lights. But the atmosphere in there was very festive and hugely enthusiastic (lots of applause) from a really 'mixed' audience. I loved every minute of it.

 

As for the performance, all 5 'leads' were nothing short of amazing.........................

 

And.......... Kevin O'Hare brought them in to take curtain calls  immediately they left the stage. A really special and emotional moment. Gary Avis threw some glitter skywards and Vadim Muntagirov not only bowed conventional style but waved to the audience.

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

I second that Janet.  I hate hearing her called  'Nela' which implies a friendship with the lady.

 

I'd widen that to using first names only in general - and occasionally it can tip over into sounding creepy IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I remember the days when all dancers were referred to by their family names only - whatever the context. Then, almost suddenly after the millenium, everyone was on first name terms in every situation and dancers lost their family names in conversation and online. So, if we slip into using first names (or nicknames) only on here, we're really just in line with social mores. [But, of course, we do need to be clear for all readers.]

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having only seen the brief clips available on Instagram (both Marianela Nuñez and Vadim "Vadream" Muntagirov have reposted other users' videos, mostly shot in the cinema from the looks of things), oh my goodness I cannot wait until 22nd December when it's on here. I shall also go on Christmas Eve 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, capybara said:

Kevin O'Hare brought them in to take curtain calls  immediately they left the stage. A really special and emotional moment.

 

Wow that sounds like a nice touch. Double curtain calls! Much love for them all in the auditorium as well.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds fantastic, Capybara, and I wish I’d been there! However, here in Plymouth it was packed, for once, and there was spontaneous applause, especially for the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Prince! But they were superb, as were O’Sullivan and Sambe. I think everyone left in festive mood!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bridiem said:

Terrific performance, and a full house at the Ritzy in Brixton, including quite a few children (dressed up as if going to the Opera House!). Nunez and Muntagirov: I nearly cried at the sheer brilliance of their dancing. O'Sullivan and Sambé both danced beautifully and acted with touching sincerity throughout the performance so you really felt invested in their journey. And yes, Gary Avis is just magnificent as Drosselmeyer - such authority and mystery and a total command of the stage. Fumi Kaneko was a lovely, gracious Rose Fairy. The whole company just seems to be flying at the moment. And wonderful to see Sir Peter Wright take a curtain call with such vigour and to such an enthusiastic reception!

 

My thoughts exactly, bridiem.  I do love the RB Nutcracker but rarely feel so emotional that I well up.  I did last night at the perfection and joy that was Nuñez and Muntagirov’s pas de deux.  

 

What a wonderful cast.  I would love a DVD of last night’s performance (including Sir Peter’s enchanting curtain call).

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, December 2018 - January 2019

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...