Royal Ballet Swan Lake rehearsals live feed this Thursday

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted to have managed to pick up a return this morning to attend the live event.  To be frank I could really do with going straight home tonight, but I do prefer to see them live when I can, and it's a huge faff trying to get my TV to play the thing through Facebook anyway (whereas YouTube is dead easy).

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

it's a huge faff trying to get my TV to play the thing through Facebook

RuthE, and ninamargaret, I am no technical expert but if you have a tablet or laptop there are often ways to use that to cast or mirror the content on to a smart TV - either via a hard wire (HDMI cable) or wirelessly. You might like to check your TV /laptop manuals and the relevant settings needed. 

Edited by Richard LH

I asked the Opera House and they have confirmed that it is streamed live on their Facebook page but will be available on YouTube channel afterwards ( didn't say how long afterwards ).

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

I asked the Opera House and they have confirmed that it is streamed live on their Facebook page but will be available on YouTube channel afterwards ( didn't say how long afterwards ).

I think that's bordering on the norm these days, which is good

• Like 1

I did ask about getting the livestreams all in one place and they said that they are planning to consolidate everything on youtube.

I think it’s in their interests to consolidate in one place to be as easily discoverable as possible as well as to maximise the value of investing in the production costs. Just wish they would hurry up!

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that, thank you once again Forum for alerting me!

I admit I am still a bit confused though about how much of the choreography in this production will be Scarlett's. Obviously the Spanish dance which we just saw, and which I enjoyed, ( although I had to laugh at his repeated assertion that he wanted to 'avoid cliches' as it is entirely  what you might expect. Poor Tierney Heap trying to manage that enormous skirt, beautiful but surely a bit much  - how rotten for her to fall over, but no wonder.)

He was clear that Ashton's Neapolitan dance stays- but perhaps we knew that.

What a joy to see Nunez and Muntagirov rehearse- I think   part of the new Act 4, with most wonderful Tchaikovsky reinstated- good call.

Interesting to hear John Macfarlane talk about how ideas translate into real sets and costumes. They look lovely, though I wonder whether they are going to create a Forum bete noire:  dark stages....

I am sure some of you will explain to me (and I suspect I am being dim) what the overall situation as regards choreographic content will be....Scarlett talked a lot about it but I didn't quite understand what he meant, e.g. 'that the heritage would be preserved  but would 'carry his stamp and his integrity'- ??? It seems a bit contradictory.

His love for the ballet certainly came over and made me warm to him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mary said:

His love for the ballet certainly came over and made me warm to him.

Agreed, and I liked the way he wasn't afraid to demonstrate the movements himself to explain what he was looking for.

• Like 2

Sounds like it came across pretty well on camera, it was incredible to be in the studio. I loved Scarlett’s passion for the history, the music, the storytelling and the fact he brought his character dance teacher from school in to help with the detail there. He seems to have built an incredibly strong network to help to build something really special and I can’t wait to see the production. I also think I might be in love with a new choreographer....

• Like 3

I thought it was all pretty encouraging. I really enjoyed the Act IV pdd - apart from anything else it's great to have that music reinstated - and those set designs look an absolute wow.

One thing I wasn't quite sure about was the Spanish dance: though I liked it on the whole, there were a few bars towards the end (with Tierney Heap at the front and the boys positioned quite far back) where nothing very much seemed to be happening for a short stretch. It didn't look quite finished to me!

Overall though, it was nice to have a choreographer be so happy for a show not to be about him!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

One thing I wasn't quite sure about was the Spanish dance: though I liked it on the whole, there were a few bars towards the end (with Tierney Heap at the front and the boys positioned quite far back) where nothing very much seemed to be happening for a short stretch. It didn't look quite finished to me!

I thought the same (and ditto Mary, cliches!) But maybe there will be something extra, which was left out of this rehearsal (the arrival of an outside character or whatever)? Am eagerly looking forward to finding out when we see the show. 

I was fortunate enough to have a ticket for this Insight and it was one of those occasions when one felt especially pleased that it was being shared with an online audience,

Liam Scarlett was still, understandably, keeping a few details close to his chest but his articulate and open explanations, combined with his huge choreographic talent, were a joy.

I was slightly puzzled by his claim that the beautiful new pas de deux for Act 4 was to music he had resurrected because it is extremely familiar. But seeing that alone was enough to set one's pulses racing for next week's opening night.

And it makes such a difference when a Company member rather than a guest presenter introduces such evenings.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

I was slightly puzzled by his claim that the beautiful new pas de deux for Act 4 was to music he had resurrected because it is extremely familiar. But seeing that alone was enough to set one's pulses racing for next week's opening night.

Yes I was somewhat confused by that too...either the new old music is elsewhere in Act 4 or I must’ve watch the 1897 (?) performance by someone else 

It was a wonderful evening for me. So good to be close to the action. Even at a rehearsal the eye contact and emotion between Vadim and Marienella was palpable! Liam is clearly still a talented dancer, despite his claim of not going to a class for a number of years. His appreciation of the former history and choreography of the past and his respect to his former character dance teacher was evident. I am so looking forward to reviews of the opening and seeing it live on May 22nd. Good to meet Blossom last night another great joy of this forum.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, capybara said:

I was slightly puzzled by his claim that the beautiful new pas de deux for Act 4 was to music he had resurrected because it is extremely familiar.

This 'resurrected' music may not have been used in previous Royal Ballet productions of Swan Lake but I've certainly heard it in at least one, if not more, productions by other companies.

Yes, I have also seen it used in other productions.  I am thrilled that Liam has choreographed a lovely pdd to it, which cleverly reflects some of the steps in the Act 2 pdd, but now with a sad tinge (a bit like the Act 3 bedroom pdd in R&J using similar steps and music to the balcony scene, but slowed down and made melancholy and sad).  In R&J this technique makes me weep, and by the looks of things it will here, too.

• Like 3