The Royal Ballet: La Fille mal gardée, September 2016

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone can tell me when Alain was last seen making his way to the wrong bedroom door rather than clutching his crotch before opening the correct door only to discover Colas and Lise locked in embrace?

My DVD of the original cast recording arrived today, so I can compare it to the Nunez-Acosta DVD. The two scenes - from when he mounts the stairs, falls, goes up again, opens doors, collapses, appear to be pretty much identical except for some timing and interpretation differences - there's a beat or two more after the door opens. (There is a moment missing from the newer recording where the camera decides we need a cut to Widow Simone). In neither does he go to the wrong door! In both there are writing movements into his core, bigger ones in the more recent version.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed last night's performance - much more so than last years , even though I also watched Osipova then. As usual there was no chemistry between Osipova/McRae last night. McRae was on technical form, but I grow tired of his performing peacock role that has little consideration for characterisation. Give me Muntagirov any day. Lise for me, is Osipova's weakest role at the RB (though her weakest is most other performers good!) Perhaps, as LinMM noted, it's the lack of a sympathetic partner that makes me feel this way?

What was it with all the Bolshoi-esque applause hunting between each PDD/solos? That certainly wasn't the norm last year was it?

I loved Kay and Marriott's performances, they brought all the 'sunshine' last night.

• Like 1

Not long got home from a long (but hugely enjoyable day) meeting Don Q fan and seeing the matinee of La Fille. Roberta and Alex were amazing and did a beautiful performance that makes you remember what a great Lise she is; one of the very best. She will be sadly missed. it is good to know Francesca is coming along to continue the Royal's fine tradition in producing outstanding Lises; Roberta is one of the best, not just in the technical aspects but in the acting department too; her little touches of rebellion against her 'mother'; the way she bumped all the way down the stairs, landing on the floor; not just doing one or 2 stairs. her horror when she discovered her mime had been seen, her obvious enjoyment in the role and her sunny smile, lighting up the stage and making all of us smile too; the list is endless. Alex too showed what a fine principle dancer he is bound to be and what a good choice was made. Can't wait to see his Sleeping beauty prince. They were both very affable and friendly at the stage door; Roberta even appearing in her stage dress and Bennet Gartside kindly coming down specially to meet the fans. Rather poignant to think Alex is just at the start of his principle career while she is nearing the end of hers (at the ROH at any rate). She will be sadly missed but gave all her admirers a great performance to remember her by.

• Like 10

Yes, a terrific performance this afternoon. Roberta Marquez was so funny and touching and believable, and Alexander Campbell was just wonderful - beautiful dancing and acting, and this was a Colas who didn't just love his Lise  - he adored her and would clearly cherish and treasure her for the rest of their days. You could imagine this couple growing old together. And Bennet Gartside was an interesting Widow Simone - you could see how she would have been beautiful when younger, and perhaps still wanted to be; a match between her and Thomas would perhaps have been a better thought than one between Lise and Alain! And Gary Avis was a more convincingly angry Thomas than usual, when the match had been thwarted; and a movingly tender father to his son. Luca Acri was an excellent Alain. I was rather hoping that Peregrine would misbehave again today, since there were so many children in the audience and I'm sure they would have been thrilled; but he was as good as gold. As was the performance.

• Like 9

I agree with the comments about yesterday's matinee - a wonderful performance by all the dancers, especially Roberta and Alexander.  Bennet Gartside was great as the Widow and Luca Acri as Alain.  Went home with a smile on my face - just sorry that it seems to be the final performance by Roberta, we will miss her.

Margaret

• Like 4

I agree with the comments about yesterday's matinee - a wonderful performance by all the dancers, especially Roberta and Alexander.  Bennet Gartside was great as the Widow and Luca Acri as Alain.  Went home with a smile on my face - just sorry that it seems to be the final performance by Roberta, we will miss her.

Margaret

The final one is NEXT Saturday, the 22nd Oct. But yes, we will miss her

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed Fille yesterday and meeting up with jmhopton.  The performance was really great, I am really going to miss Roberta and her charming portrayal of Lise.  Alexander Campbell was on fire he was fantastic and he and Roberta make a really good partnership, so sad it won't be lasting for much longer. It was lovely to meet the dancers after the show, including Roberta in full costume!  Was this I wonder Alexander's first stage performance as a principal this season?

A couple of photos from the curtain call.Cu41srwWIAAfGmV.jpgCu41wBSWcAAR2nv.jpg

• Like 24

I find it so sad that Alexander wasn't around 10 years ago to partner Marquez. They are so good together and a wonderful partnership might have developed. Someone mentioned 'chivalrous' above. I like to think that he would have treated her with respect, and appreciated her artistry and her talent. And vice versa, of course.

• Like 3

I find it so sad that Alexander wasn't around 10 years ago to partner Marquez. They are so good together and a wonderful partnership might have developed. Someone mentioned 'chivalrous' above. I like to think that he would have treated her with respect, and appreciated her artistry and her talent. And vice versa, of course.

Absolutely. I have such fond memories of their first Don Q where her evident pride in his achievement, as well as her enjoyment in dancing with him, was absolutely clear, and I am sorry, with no disrespect intended to Yuhui Choe, that they did not dance Pigeons together.

• Like 2

Wonderful pictures of a wonderful performance Don Q Fan. The second one really does capture how happy Marquez appeared in the whole performance. Her comic timing was lovely throughout and Campbell's footwork was so nimble!

That was the last Marquez performance for me so I took a picture on my camera phone as a memory, but I haven't looked at it yet as I know it'll be awful! Your pics will do much better Don Q Fan :).

• Like 2

Wonderful pictures of a wonderful performance Don Q Fan. The second one really does capture how happy Marquez appeared in the whole performance. Her comic timing was lovely throughout and Campbell's footwork was so nimble!

That was the last Marquez performance for me so I took a picture on my camera phone as a memory, but I haven't looked at it yet as I know it'll be awful! Your pics will do much better Don Q Fan :).

You're very welcome glad you like.

Dropped into a second Osipova/McRae Fille last night and it proved a wonderfully joyous affair ... but then this ballet is - at its altruistic heart - pure warmth.  

Osipova continues to grow as an ever more astute comedienne and the detailed spontaneity of her Lise certainly appeared to show this world class artist having a whale of time.  McRae as Colas happily responded in kind and refreshingly left at home even more of his 'look at me, ma' proclivities.  Can't wait to see these two again in Rubies - another ravishingly astute exemplar of jocose narrative genius.  Last night you could vividly see why Ashton and Balanchine enjoyed such stealth in terms of their mutual admiration for each other's work.  Whitehead too continues his climb towards becoming a landmark Mother Simone.  Delicious.

The role that was most transformed on this occasion, however, - certainly when compared with my previous viewing - and the real reason for scribbling this brief addendum to that which I previously penned - was James Hay's Alain.  

Suddenly this character's sincere earnestness came into benignant focus.  Any gnawing strokes that Hay may have employed to indicate previously were now happily stuck - like a once wayward student's gum - under the desk.  Now even the hesitating upward arm shots that marked Alain's delight at the discovery of a penche were responded to with glee by his entranced (and - crucially - sympathetically understanding) onlookers.  Hay's Alain is NOW a warmhearted and obliging joy to behold throughout.  

It was also wonderful to see the amphi filled .... My feet happily stayed plied to their numbered position in the T's ... and my heart sincerely hoped that this might well be an indicator that the 'universal they' might - just might - bring this stunning masterwork back sooner than naught ... much as it oh, so gloriously deserves.  

Surely this work is, in and of itself, amongst the most glittering prizes in the Royal's happily fulsome crown.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 12

Well said Bruce, it was a wonderful night. The final pdd was so tender it brought tears to even my cynical eyes!

Also I simply loved the way both Thomas Whitehead and James Hay continued in character to the very last curtain call. They were both brilliant.

Will sit and sigh for the rest of the day methinks......

• Like 6

Saw the Muntagirov/Nunez cast last night. What a wonderful partnership they are turning out to be - bags of chemistry and both the most wonderful dancers. The characterisation of both was spot on, and both just seemed to be having a ball on stage. I must say Muntagirov was on fire last night gaining huge applause for his stunning solos. And Marianela's smile lit up the auditorium as ever.

I have always thought that Tuckett made the best Simone, and I still think that, but I really enjoyed Marriott. He did actually come across as very feminine, and made Simone's genuine affection for her daughter very evident. He was also very funny, with a lot of little touches that made me laugh out loud a few times. I'm not sure if Vadim was expecting the "wandering hands" when Simone finally embraces Colas near the end or not, but either it was very good acting on his part, or his reaction was genuine and comical! ????

And Peregrine behaved well, except for breaking into a brisk trot whilst crossing the front of the stage, and having to be held back!

A wonderful evening, enhanced by a particularly enthusiastic audience who laughed in all the right places and applauded with gusto!

• Like 6

Yes, the audience were indeed enthusiastic - and we even got the clapping to continue right the way through to the dancers' exit at the end.  It's been a long time since I've experienced that.  There was definitely an "end of term" feel to last night's performance, somehow, and all the better for it.

• Like 2

What an absolutely marvelous performance this evening by the whole cast and a fitting send off for Roberta Marquez.  I can only echo the comments of everyone who saw the the first Campbell/ Marquez performance. This was something special and Alexander Campbell's partnering was exquisite. His dancing was pretty hot too! 

Everything came together - loved Bennet Gartside, Luca Acri and Gary Avis, Peregrine the pony has a special bouquet (pony munchie box actually) and Roberta was showered with bouquets and a flower throw. What a shame we won't see her again at the ROH. She certainly graced the stage this evening with a superb performance.

I'm still smiling

• Like 17

What an evening! Loved every minute. Roberta will be missed, so glad she got such a great send off. Praise for her acting, beautiful arms and exquisite epaulement. No exaggerated arabesque, just beautiful line. A true Ashton dancer for me. Alexander Campbell was a perfect and generous partner, I agree his dancing was a joy too. Bennet made a great effort at Widow Simone, I enjoyed his head movements and the relationship with her daughter, great clog dance too. Corps work a joy to watch, I was impressed by the pointed feet of boys, especially one boy in a blue smock <centre in sickle dance>. Where is Roberta off to now? My only minor quibble is that her ponte shoes were a bit noisy.

Wore my blue badge but didn't spot any more despite husbands diligent chest watching! Looking forward to Anastasia on Friday. Great to be back after a pretty grim summer health wise. Then off to Vienna to see triple bill there, belated eightieth birthday treat. Seeing the Lipizzaner horses too, not quite the same as Peregrin!

Didn't mention before but really enjoyed Lucas interpretation of Alain, lovely feet again, I did feel the pathos, especially in the flute dance. Great evening all round!

• Like 18

Corps work a joy to watch, I was impressed by the pointed feet of boys, especially one boy in a blue smock <centre in sickle dance>. 

The boys in the centre were Joseph Sissons and David Yudes.

Congratulations to Roberta on a lovely farewell performance.

It always feels sad when a run of Fille comes to and end but the joyous dancing, great characterisations, buoyant corps work, and amusing incidents will live long in one's memory.

A huge thank you to the whole Company.

• Like 11