The Royal Ballet: La Fille mal gardée, September 2016

It is great fun to speculate on the career path of a dancer who has made an exceptional debut in a major role but we need to remember that it is speculation. As far as promotion to the rank of principal is concerned it will be the versatility, consistency and usefulness of the individual dancer across the company's ever widening repertory which will determine the issue. Mr O'Hare has said that he has more talented dancers than he can hope to promote but that he wants to keep them happy by giving them interesting repertory to dance. As he has indicated in the past that he wants fewer principal dancers I would not expect every principal who retires to be replaced. Following a "fewer principals policy" might give him greater flexibility in casting roles than he currently enjoys as he would not be obliged to distribute so many performances of a particular role among a fixed cadre of dancers.

According to my calculations three principal positions are likely to fall vacant over the next couple of years and at that time he will have to decide how many he should replace and who to appoint. I should have thought that the front runners among the men include Ball. Clarke and Hay and Naghdi and Stix-Brunnel  among the women. Nothing is certain as a great deal can happen between now and the point at which such decisions are made. Sambe's promotion to principal is far from certain as the company already has two short male principal dancers. It is true that at a time when technical facility was not as highly prized as it is now both Blair and Sleep became principal dancers and did so largely because of their technical prowess. Both men had roles created for them but Blair's created roles such as Mercutio and Colas were not created merely to accommodate an exceptional dancer who was short. His roles have passed into the company's standard repertory while Sleep's have not done so to the same degree.Sleep needed to have roles made for him in order to accommodate his lack of height. His created roles such as the beggar chief in Manon tend to be solos because his height made him unsuited to the standard pas de deux format.

So what of Sambe? He is dancing at a time when. the company has many dancers with strong technique so technique may not propel him to the very top. Only time will tell what the future holds for him. I look forward to seeing how Kevin deals with the embarrassment of dancing riches currently working in his company. As far as the Sambe, Hayward pairing is concerned I would happily pay money to see them in Fille again..It would be nice to have a break from Nutcracker next Christmas. I can't help thinking that Cinderella and Coppelia would be suitable festive fare next year and that Hayward and Sambe would be rather good as Swanhilda and Franz.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 5

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if they're going to do Fille again next year?  After the wonderful reviews above, I am so eager to see it, I think I would come over especially!  I couldn't come now, because I am visiting in November (and have got fabulous tickets for Anastasia) but maybe next year???????

I very much doubt it, as this is the second run in two years, so they will, I am sure, rest it for awhile, especially since ticket sales have been slow this time. I don't understand this, as I would happily go to see it annually!

• Like 1

I very much doubt it, as this is the second run in two years, so they will, I am sure, rest it for awhile, especially since ticket sales have been slow this time. I don't understand this, as I would happily go to see it annually!

Me to, to be honest I dont care for Nutcracker, so much rather have Fille. We could change the maypole to a Christmas tree, the ribbons could be glittery and Peregrine could be made to look like a reindeer. Job done.

• Like 11

After reading all these reviews, I'm certainly regretting not booking for one of the Hayward/Sambe nights. My philosophy was that they'll reprise the roles, because they're young dancers, and I can see them again, but there is something quite special about seeing a debut, so I wish I had chosen differently now! Also, on the subject of Peregrine, he did behave himself perfectly on the night I saw it, even though the dancers themselves had some minor mishaps. 

Me to, to be honest I dont care for Nutcracker, so much rather have Fille. We could change the maypole to a Christmas tree, the ribbons could be glittery and Peregrine could be made to look like a reindeer. Job done.

My teenage daughter would have something to say about that. :) Although Fille is her all-time favourite ballet, Nutcracker is her second - it was the first ballet she saw "live", and some 15 years later she still asks for Nutcracker tickets as part of her Christmas present.

• Like 2

I absolutely adore Fille and thoroughly loathe the RB production of Nutcracker so I think your idea is wonderful.

Anna, have you ever thought of trying BRB's Nutcracker.  I find it almost impossible to believe that SPW produced both of them!  BRB's production is the grand-daddy of them all!

DIL, BRB also do Fille but it's not scheduled for 16/17.  I live in hopes that it will be back in the rep soon.

• Like 4

I absolutely adore Fille and thoroughly loathe the RB production of Nutcracker so I think your idea is wonderful.

Anna, have you ever thought of trying BRB's Nutcracker. I find it almost impossible to believe that SPW produced both of them! BRB's production is the grand-daddy of them all!

DIL, BRB also do Fille but it's not scheduled for 16/17. I live in hopes that it will be back in the rep soon.

I would absolutely love to see BRB's Nutcracker Jan! :) Do they ever bring it to London though? DD and DH are in B'ham for the day just after Christmas but it's too far for me in one day. :(

Luckily I love the RB Nutcracker - can't beat Gary Avis plus cloak and glitter! Anyway, apologies for going off-topic.

• Like 4

BRB did bring their Nutcracker to London in the early days of its production when they put it on at the Lyceum. However, given the costs of doing this I cannot see the exercise being repeated in the current climate.

Also, they tend to perform it in Birmingham in the run up to Christmas when it gives way to the annual panto. This is something else which is unlikely to change. The very first year it was produced the first night was around December 29th or 30th and there was no panto that year. Just proving that you cannot please everyone the Nutcracker was a huge success from day 1 but there was a lot of local moaning that there was no panto that year.

If you feel like splashing out and can come to Brum, maybe see a double show and stay overnight in a local hotel I am sure you really will enjoy it.

• Like 1

My teenage daughter would have something to say about that. :) Although Fille is her all-time favourite ballet, Nutcracker is her second - it was the first ballet she saw "live", and some 15 years later she still asks for Nutcracker tickets as part of her Christmas present.

Let's not forget that it was The Nutcracker that inspired the very young Francesca

• Like 3

Osipova and McRae (both of whom I really like in other roles) were my least favourite Lise/Colas in Fille last year....they DID dance it like a Bolshoi piece and it wasn't for me.  I haven't bought tickets to see them this time, so I will be very interested to hear from those who are seeing them.

I actually really like Osipova as Lise - she makes the role more interesting, just a little bit naughty so that you could bring yourself to side with Widow Simone!! 

• Like 5

A very strange article about the Osbert Lancaster designs for Fille has appeared on the ROH website in connection with the current run of performances. A great deal of it is taken up with telling the reader about the "cartoonish" nature of the designs and Lancaster's career as a political cartoonist for the Daily Express.There are so many references to cartoons and cartoonists in it that if I were a cynical soul I might think that it had been written in an attempt to test the likely response to the ballet being given new designs.rather than as an educational exercise.

Now while it is true that there were those in the early days  who did think that a more realistic approach to the  designs for Fille would have been preferrable I am not convinced that they would have done much to enhance the ballet. Perhaps I lack sufficient imagination  but I can't see how you could accommodate the dancing chickens in realistic designs based on easel painters' images of eighteenth or nineteenth century farmhands at work such as Stubb's harvesters.

I am drawing the article to the attention of forum members as I have an uncomfortable feeling that if no one responds to it we shall get the redesigns and when no one likes them we shall be told that the lack of response to the article was taken as tacit assent to the view that the current designs are too cartoonish and that new designs are needed. As Ashton has been badly served by earlier attempts to spruce up his ballets by giving them new designs I think that some responses to the article would be helpful.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 11

In answer to,Blossom above....yes I really liked Osipova as Lise too.

I think the problem is I haven't seen her do it with the right partner yet for this ballet.

I didn't see her this time round but last.

I feel that it's so important the two leads really gel together in this ballet which is one of the reasons why Hayward and Sambe were so successful just recently. It was somehow the two of them together which made it happen.

Although I can't quite imagine Polunin in the role of Colas .....you never know!! Perhaps the two,of them together??

Many years ago Baryshnikov made a slightly more of the technical side in this ballet but was still absolutely charming in this role. I can still see him with the ribbon in his mouth pretending to be a horse!! He was really terrific honestly. I've been trying to remember who was his Lise......anybody remember .....could have been Collier....another delight!

And regards the sets ......why would it thought they needed to be changed?

I love those backdrops. They are what they are and another rustic scene painting won't necessarily enhance the ballet in my view.

But I do love Fille .....the costumes ...everything! so perhaps am being a bit traditionalist about it all!

I was also thinking about the role of Alain.

I still think I haven't seen anybody get the pathos of Alexander Grant( sorry I know it's annoying for people who didn't have the opportunity to see him) But then again Alexander Grant is Alexander Grant.....there won't be another him!!!

But perhaps trying to keep a little more of the innocence he brought to the role might be worthwhile.

Even though he's "not quite all there" so to speak you would never dream of seriously taunting him as he was more innocent childlike ( not childish) and I think is sort of genuinely remorseful that he hasn't somehow "made it" with Lise .....he really believed he had a chance in it all but with many current interpretations you know right from the beginning that it's definitely not going to happen!!!

that very last scene where he retrieves his umbrella just got right to the core of the joy of finding some beloved object thought lost!! So although a tiny scene he just melted your heart.

• Like 2

that very last scene where he retrieves his umbrella just got right to the core of the joy of finding some beloved object thought lost!! So although a tiny scene he just melted your heart. 

It's a nice ending up note to take the sting out of his tragedy, so your ending memory of him is happy too. The more I think about Fille the more of a masterpiece it becomes. 

• Like 6

I am drawing the article to the attention of forum members as I have an uncomfortable feeling that if no one responds to it we shall get the redesigns and when no one likes them we shall be told that the lack of response to the article was taken as tacit assent to the view that the current designs are too cartoonish and that new designs are needed. As Ashton has been badly served by earlier attempts to spruce up his ballets by giving them new designs I think that some responses to the article would be helpful.

I've already registered my disgust at the thought of any changes to the designs and I hope that many others on this forum will do the same! Here is the link:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/how-la-fille-mal-gardee-creates-pastoral-magic-through-marmite-cartoons

Edited by David
  • Like 3

In answer to,Blossom above....yes I really liked Osipova as Lise too.

I think the problem is I haven't seen her do it with the right partner yet for this ballet.

I didn't see her this time round but last.

I feel that it's so important the two leads really gel together in this ballet which is one of the reasons why Hayward and Sambe were so successful just recently. It was somehow the two of them together which made it happen.

Although I can't quite imagine Polunin in the role of Colas .....you never know!! Perhaps the two,of them together??

Many years ago Baryshnikov made a slightly more of the technical side in this ballet but was still absolutely charming in this role. I can still see him with the ribbon in his mouth pretending to be a horse!! He was really terrific honestly. I've been trying to remember who was his Lise......anybody remember .....could have been Collier....another delight!

I saw him with Ann Jenner. It's a blissful memory and the speed of those two in the coda of the Essler pas de deux indelibly branded on my mind's eye :-)

• Like 1

The responses to the article have already jumped from 3 to 10 with a number of familiar names from the forum and I see that Mel Spencer (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) has responded: "Rest assured that there are absolutely no plans to change The Royal Ballet's production of La Fille mal gardée. Danielle is only exploring how Lancaster's designs contribute to the overall feel of the ballet, in the context of the criticism the designs have received in the past. We're delighted to hear that, like us, so many readers are such firm fans!"

Job done!
Edited by David
  • Like 7

Review in link below for To The Pointe, unashamedly going over the top with praise for Hayward and Sambe's debuts....

http://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2016/10/10/Oh-What-A-Night-Hayward-and-Sambe-WOW-in-La-Fille-Mal-Gardee

Great review - I feel as though I was at the performance TTP!

• Like 6

In the last act there is a loss of finesse too.Perhaps someone can tell me when Alain was last seen making his way to the wrong bedroom door rather than clutching his crotch before opening the correct door only to discover Colas and Lise locked in embrace?

Well, James Hay started off towards the other door tonight. And Alain does not clutch his crotch - it would be hard to clutch anything with a key in one hand and a ring in the other. He puts his hands between his thighs in the way some children do when they are nervous.

• Like 6