World Ballet Day, 4th Oct., 2016

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been my worst ballet day experience.  I've had all the problems mentioned above and now when trying to watch the San Francisco Ballet it's showing the Royal Ballet class from this morning.  I've tried different locations (work, home, friend's house), different devices (PC, tablet, smartphone) and the various websites, I've cleared the cache and shut down/restarted the devices - all to no avail.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just tried again and the RB class seemed to be on again-so, hope springing eternal I tried watching, but it juddered along very badly and then- cut out again to some talking heads JUST as McRae was poised to spin across the studio- curses upon them! Can't help but laugh that I put myself through that tooth-gnashing annoyance again.

What a shame and a spoilt opportunity, I almost wish I   hadn't told people about it now as it will hardly have switched anyone on to ballet.

• Like 3

the frustration continues - i managed to just about watch most of the morning class, then once rehearsals stated it just jumps all over the shop. I really wanted to catch Yasmine and Matthew at the Sleeping Beauty rehearsal, but all I can get is 30-40 sec snippet, then it jumps somewhere else. It freezes at exactly the same point every time in the Scottish Ballet segment; Can't seem to get more than 10secs of Fille, etc., etc

Hope that when they put these onto YouTube the company filming today does a better job than it made of the live stream

• Like 4

From 1.15 to 1.45 UK time we will have the pleasure of watching Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball rehearsing the pdd from Act 3 of Sleeping Beauty, prior to their debuts. Afterwards, they will be talking to Kirsten McNally.

Can't wait....

And weren't they gorgeous. :)

I was lucky, my clunky old ipad managed to stream well, but just as Gary Avis started the group rehearsal for Anastasia, I had to pop out. Tried to pause the stream but to no avail, so I'll have to watch the rest when it's on Youtube.

• Like 2

It's been awful. I guess it's because this year they have used Facebook Live instead of the usual YouTube. I just got the same problems at work as everyone else and now at home I want to use chromecast to get it on my TV but Facebook Live doesn't seem to allow that.  :(  :angry: .

• Like 1

I hope whoever decided to stream on Facebook rather than YouTube this year is feeling guilty, as they have made today very unhappy for us all. I was lucky enough last year to have a day off, so I got to watch all of it live and I had a great time with the people on YouTube being very silly and excited. This time, despite making time in a busy day to watch some of it, I not only didn't get the YouTube chat experience, but I also didn't get to watch more than the lovely RB company class before, like everyone else's, it started jumping all over the place. I've tried on my phone, iPad, laptop, work computer, friend's computer... It's obviously an international issue. I blame the problem on trying to stream such a large mp4 file on Facebook, which is obviously not used to handling videos of that length.

• Like 11

I had problems on the 'World Ballet Day' site initially , but then switched to the FB feed (small screen) and managed to watch all of the RB stream. It was lovely and I hope that all who missed it will be able to catch up on youtube over the next few days. x

• Like 1

I missed practically all of the Onegin rehearsals due to a bad connection :( But it started working again about halfway through the San Francisco segment, which is very good. They're currently rehearsing something new by Yuri Possokhov, and later they've promised some scenes from Scarlett's Frankenstein, which I really enjoyed seeing in cinemas earlier this year. (My girlfriend is a big fan of Gothic literature and Scarlett's Frankenstein was a great excuse to introduce her to ballet!) I do wish I'd gotten to see more of the RB rehearsal though. I agree with VickyPage, YouTube is the much more sensible choice.

• Like 1

The Bolshoi segment now seems to be up on YouTube - they don't hang around!

I think this is the 2015 broadcast? Still lovely to watch!

I missed all of today's live streaming while at work and am eagerly awaiting the YouTube uploads. Should hopefully be a mid-week treat.

I think this is the 2015 broadcast? Still lovely to watch!

I missed all of today's live streaming while at work and am eagerly awaiting the YouTube uploads. Should hopefully be a mid-week treat.

Yes, it's 2015, when Bolshoi had only 3 hrs, while the other 4 companies had 5 hrs each.

This year it seems to be back to 4 hrs each, as in 2014.

I seem to remember that last year all the sessions were on youtube within a couple of days.

It would be good (albeit annoying :) ) to hear from anyone who had a perfectly fine time of it, too, just for balance.  After all, we've been moaning a lot, but we're maybe only a couple of dozen people ...

• Like 1

I managed to see the greater part of the Royal Ballet segment, and a large part of the San Francisco portion, with only brief minor problems. Judging by the experiences of others, I seem to have been rather fortunate on this occasion. I've no idea why, as I often do have problems with my internet set-up, though it's been better recently.

I'm looking forward to downloading all the sessions from youtube.

• Like 1

Thought Pacific Northwest Ballet's segment very effective.  It stood out in a way because it had no narration.  It focused on the opening night of the Company's season.  While you definitely got a backstage slice the viewer had enough of the actual dance performances themselves (two Millipied; one Balanchine - Symphony in C) to garner a defining sense of character not only of each piece and but also of the featured dancers/Company within it. The artistry of the film makers spoke via their shared artistic collaboration in celebration of the balletic idiom itself.  This was - for me - World Ballet Day in deed; its stated mandate being entirely and well matched.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I've just looked on YouTube and can see that the Royal have put their "live stream" from yesterday there ....but it's three hours long!

If I wanted to find the Naghdi/Ball rehearsal piece for example is there any quick way of doing this?

I think I watched about 8 hours in total - from the tail-end of the Royal Ballet to the end of the whole thing. I had it on in the background and it glitched a few times (I missed a fair bit of San Francisco) but otherwise I think I was pretty fortunate! I was even featured on the rolling Twitter banner onscreen once or twice. It's a pity that more people couldn't join in interactively, I always think that's the high point. I'm really looking forward to watching the segments I missed later.

• Like 1

has San Francisco posted theirs up as yet? I watched a good deal of it last night - but the sound was terrible, and it and the picture kept stuttering and crackling. Be nice to watch it again if a good version - as some of it was superb