World Ballet Day, 4th Oct., 2016

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The little circle on the screen goes round and round, round and round, round and round,

The little circle on the screen goes round and round, all day long."

Can't tell whether it's just my broadband playing up - which it has been for the last few days, but not usually during the daytime - or whether I should take a laptop out for a walk somewhere and find some wifi.

I have given up with the WBD site.  I ended up about to throw the computer out the window.  On FB, it tells me I need Adobe Flash to watch.  I don't have it.  I had sound for a while, but now it's gone and I just have a picture.  God this is so frustrating.  I will probably just give up now and do something constructive, then watch it another time when there isn't such high demand.  

• Like 1

Shame they cut off the end of the RB class which looked like one of the best bits.........I was enjoying it so much, and they suddenly moved to an item about ballet fashion..well, I am sure many want to see that, but could they not have waited 5 minutes grrrr

• Like 6

Sorry, it is becoming messy now. They show bits of a children's class (RB project) > then jump to the interview with Charlotte Macmillan (which has been streamed before), > then jump to Kevin talking about children's project, > then back to Charlotte. Grrrrr...

At the same time the picture freezes every 3 seconds while the sound is OK. WHAT IS THAT? I don't think it is the laptop's fault.

1 min. later: Agadzhanov is rehearsing La fille with Marianela and Vadim. So funny, the sound is fine, he is saying: "And another turn, and another turn, and..." - and the picture gets frozen on every turn.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

My reception is beyond hopeless (on every 'channel' I try). Charlotte Macmillan keeps coming back in the middle of Fille and in the middle of the interview with Marianela and Vadim, and in the middle of NB. Then it all goes frozen. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh!!!!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

Love this World Ballet Day.  Brings the ballet world together across the globe.

It brings a smile to my face when one establishment that I know of (we all have one in our community) that thinks they are the best,  are Celebrating NATIONAL Ballet Day.  Bless 'em

My reception is beyond hopeless (on every 'channel' I try). Charlotte Macmillan keeps coming back in the middle of Fille and in the middle of the interview with Marianela and Vadim, and in the middle of NB. Then it all goes frozen. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh!!!!

That's exactly what I've been getting, capybara.  Once I changed from the old laptop, which was obviously part of the problem, I did at least manage to get online, and caught part of the Anastasia rehearsal (plus Scottish Ballet, NB) and what have you, then it froze partway through the Charlotte MacMillan interview.  I got a few seconds of Fille, then we went back to Charlotte, and then it froze again.  So I will probably have screwed the new laptop up all for nothing and will have to waste a few more hours of my life putting it together again.  At least I didn't pay anyone large sums for 24 hours' wifi, as I had considered doing.

Bandwidth seems to be up and down and had that same problem with Charlotte M. reappearing. if things grind to a halt, one trick that helps is not to watch in proper full screen mode (i.e. Clicking on the square) , but to leave it playing in its small window then zoom it up with your fingers (i.e. Expanding pinch on Apple) - it uses less data.

Highlights for me from a great morning have been Ksenia Zhiganshina's rehearsal and the RB class, which I always find hypnotic.

my link keeps stopping and dropping back to an earlier spot (our Kristen intervieing Ms MacMillan. Reloading the page seems to take me back to 'live' but bits are missed.

Think I'll just have to watch it all again when its a bit more stable  :-)

• Like 1

Have suddenly started getting:

"PLAYBACK STREAM ERROR.  This video isn't encoded for your device."  That would be this video I've (reasonably) happily been watching on this device for the last hour or so, would it? ;)

I give up .... my laptop keeps switching from the live transmission to the Charlotte MacMillan interview ! It was mildly interesting the 1st time but not by the 5th ! Tried clearing my history but to no effect. Hey ho.

Just noticed that DaveM seems to have the same strange problem .... at least it's not me going mad. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 2

I give up .... my laptop keeps switching from the live transmission to the Charlotte MacMillan interview ! It was mildly interesting the 1st time but not by the 5th ! Tried clearing my history but to no effect. Hey ho.

Just noticed that DaveM seems to have the same strange problem .... at least it's not me going mad. 

So glad that others are having these problems ... and that when using three different computers ... It is hugely frustrating having blocked out the time ... Hopefully it will clear when it moves on to Canada.  Very much look forward to catching up.  What I saw I thought was very well produced.  Loved the Naghdi/Ball SB PDD ... Can't wait to see it live ;)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I was glued to my iPad watching the maestro Boris Akimov teaching the Bolshoi company class. He was just so watchable - such beautiful feet and arms. I had to go to a meeting just as the Royal Ballet were finishing barre. I found the difference in style of class between Mr Akimov and Mr Maloney in the class they give.

Mr Akimov sets very logical quite simple combinations; Mr Maloney was really working on a very squeezy juicy lyrical style. 

• Like 1

Love this World Ballet Day.  Brings the ballet world together across the globe.

Agree balletbean   :) but it also binds many balletcoforumers in a morass of technical frustration :angry: 

But I saw enough of the RB sequence to know that Nunez/Muntagirov are going to be fabulous together in Fille and Nagdhi/Ball are going to be lovely together in Sleeping Beauty. So pleased that both these wonderful partnerships were featured..

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

I'm still having issues with it going back a percentage of the video every minute or so! It's nice to know I'm not alone, but it's still very frustrating after last year's livestream worked so well. I hope they upload it to YouTube, because I had to miss both the Fille and most of the SB rehearsal because of this. 

• Like 1

I've found that the stream on the San Francisco ballet page is the best quality! I'm loving this section with the Canadian national ballet, I think they've had the warmest, most interesting segment so far. And those dancing pumpkins!

• Like 1

Same frustrating problems here. Ms Macmillan frequently returning. Managed all RB section and a lot of Canada class and rehearsal but so frustrated have given up now. Can't wait to see Anastasia and looking forward to Marquez Campbell Fille. It has been a long painful Summer and the new season has been a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. A lot of today has been really good and I enjoyed Maloneys class. Oh why does it keep snapping back to the same interview?

• Like 3

I have given up with the WBD site.  I ended up about to throw the computer out the window.  On FB, it tells me I need Adobe Flash to watch.  I don't have it.  I had sound for a while, but now it's gone and I just have a picture.  God this is so frustrating.  I will probably just give up now and do something constructive, then watch it another time when there isn't such high demand.  

It was indeed a frustrating experience, worse ever. Such a shame. My ROH screen kept freezing up and it returned to Charlotte MacMillan and B/W photo...

• Like 3

A shambles. But why do we tend to put such faith in computers and techies - so often misplaced? It certainly seemed like a bandwidth problem given that a lot of it was pretty low res and also beset by lengthy pauses for buffering.

Lets hope that the individual companies put up their sections on YouTube.

• Like 6