Osipova is back ?

We had booked to see Johan Kobborg and Alina Cojarcaru in Sleeping Beauty (I think). He hadn't long been on stage when it was very obvious that something was wrong. He went off and after a thirty minute warm up, Federico Bonelli went on instead. I had been gutted but Bonelli was such a trouper and so very good that he gained another fan. If it hadn't been for Kobborg 's unfortunate injury,I would never have seen him.

• Like 5

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Osipova is a full time member of the RB, and I am assuming that any full time dancer makes guest appearances elsewhere with the full knowledge and consent of the company management. 

Therefore, I cannot see the problem in making the sort of public announcement that Sim outlined earlier. 

• Like 4

Just like when Yuhui replaced Osipova in Sleeping Beauty at short notice a couple of years ago. She must have been terrified, but she got a huge ovation when she came onstage, and an even bigger one when she went off, and deservedly so. She was wonderful!

Who was her partner please?

Just taken out of context, "the Kobborg/Bonelli Sleeping Beauty" sounds very progressive.

Maybe that's not such an outlandish idea, Melody....ToThePointe shared a post on her Facebook page a couple of days ago of Kobborg dancing on pointe, with a Romantic tutu on....and he looked pretty good!   :)

Here is the link, from YouTube:

• Like 10

Last night Natalia Osipova was in the audience, watching Polunin dancing Rhapsody and Marguerite and Arman (Stanislavsky Theatre)

She confirmed doing Giselle at the Bolshoi two days in the row, back to back, on 1 and 2 December

Good sign - Osipova is fit and ready to dance

• Like 3

Maybe that's not such an outlandish idea, Melody....ToThePointe shared a post on her Facebook page a couple of days ago of Kobborg dancing on pointe, with a Romantic tutu on....and he looked pretty good!   :)

It has been suggested that Chase Johnsey of the Trocks would make an excellent substitute ballerina in case of need - and people might not notice his gender.

• Like 12

That is good news indeed Andy and thanks for the report.

Off topic but I see from Facebook that Polunin's partner in M & A was the great Nina Ananiashvili. I would be very interested in any reviews of this performance as I remember her bolshoi performances in London.

• Like 1

Here is the link, from YouTube:

There's a role in the Bolshoi's Bright Stream waiting for him should he be interested.

• Like 3

Cast Confirmation: Natalia Osipova to dance scheduled performances in New Year

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-confirmation-natalia-osipova-to-dance-scheduled-performances-in-new-year

Natalia Osipova will dance her scheduled performances with the Company from the New Year starting with Rhapsody on Wednesday 20 January.
She will appear in Rhapsody, New Christopher Wheeldon and Giselle.
  • Like 10

It's almost as if someone from RB 'management' has read the threads on Osipova.

On that basis, and bearing in mind the comments on the Romeo and Juliet thread, do you think there might be some sort of public discussion with Kevin O'Hare on line soon? Or an interview with him in one of the papers?   She asked innocently........ 

• Like 1

I might have to skive off LAB on Jan 20th then....it's a Wednesday......as yuhui Choe is doing two pigeons as well that evening. I didn't book this originally because didn't know whether Osipova would be back and also because it was a Wednesday but although have a ticket for end of jan might not be able to resist this now!!

Am I alone in sensing that (as reported via today's Links) it is rather unfortunate that Osipova and Polunin chose to be critical in their Press Conference of ballet directors for not casting them together. The Royal Ballet has had to respond to this when they surely have no case to answer. 

• Like 4

Capybara - where is the RB's response?

It is in the telegraph report in dance links: 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11977599/Ballets-hottest-new-couple-go-contemporary-after-being-banned-from-starring-together.html

But I guess you could also ask Kevin Ohare directly, or if you ask other members of the forum then maybe you could ask politely?

Edited by SwissBalletFan

I thought that this was a ridiculous comment. Osipova is a company dancer with the RB and Polunin is not (perhaps she will ask Kevin O'Hare to bring him in as Salenko has been brought in for McRae). She also has many guesting commitments which she has freely entered into. Polunin also has his commitments with other companies (I'm not clear whether he is a company dancer anywhere or whether he is freelance). The answer is for them both to become freelance and offer themselves to companies as a package or, alternatively, to join the same company on the understanding that they will partner each other for a certain number of performances. Whether any company would agree to the latter would depend on their clout individually and as a couple. I feel that there is a tremendous restlessness about Osipova. She seems to want to move more into contemporary work but it's not clear to me whether this is her priority now. I know that Vishneva has also staged contemporary programmes for herself but it seems that she is still a classical ballerina first and foremost and I believe that she was quite a bit older than Osipova when she started to diversify into contemporary work. These are interesting times. Dancers are increasingly moving companies several times during their careers, accepting second principal positions or long term guest principal positions with other companies and curating their own shows both in and out of season. Marcelo Gomes has even danced in a couple of runs of Matthew Bourne's productions.

• Like 7