Osipova is back ?

Osipova is doing something somewhere as she posted several photos of herself with young dancers on twitter yesterday it looked like either a school or hotel somewhere...long corridors in the background. Just hope she doesn't overdo anything so she is OK for Winter season.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Osipova is doing something somewhere as she posted several photos of herself with young dancers on twitter yesterday it looked like either a school or hotel somewhere...long corridors in the background. Just hope she doesn't overdo anything so she is OK for Winter season.

There was a photo on Facebook a week or so ago of her at the Bolshoi Ballet Academy. This was in the public domain.

• Like 1

Does she have a Twitter account? What is it???

However the Facebook linked to that Twitter account does specify it's fan run. I was under the impression her sites (i.e. Instagram/Facebook etc) are run by fans or management for her. They often refer to her in 3rd person.

I did notice on the original article it said she'd be starting rehearsals by the end of the week (it was posted on the 20th). So I'm assuming she must be in Italy already??

Sergei certainly tweets or rather his reps do they tweeted tonight that he and Natalia are dancing Nutcracker on 31 December in Novosibirsk. I am sure Natalia's tweets are genuine as she tweeted personal holiday snaps of her with Sergei this summer.

Edited by Don Q Fan

I think they will be very annoyed if they find that she is dancing in Milan and not here!

I'm with you on this.  Like many other posters, trips to ROH are an epic for me, both in terms of travel and expense.  And yes, I do like to see particular casts.  I can completely understand when a dancer is injured and it is good that RB has a big enough cast to provide replacements.  However, either a dancer is injured and cannot dance or she is fit and can dance.  Or are we saying that she isn't fit enough for London but somehow dancing in Milan is a different matter?

R&J tickets have been ruinously expensive this season and I am not the only one to have used their budget on Osipova, only to find out that she is indisposed.  And this is not the first time for me with this dancer.  

I think it is poor behaviour.

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 4

Sergei certainly tweets or rather his reps do they tweeted tonight that he and Natalia are dancing Nutcracker on 31 December in Novosibirsk. I am sure Natalia's tweets are genuine as she tweeted personal holiday snaps of her with Sergei this summer.

Facebook account, twitter, instagram, etc., are not run by Sergei Polunin himself but by team Polunin; I don't know for his girlfriend but I think it's the same. The photos of this summer were taken and posted on Instagram by Katerina Tana, btw.

We don't know all the facts, but it's almost impossible not wonder why Milan and Novosibirsk are ok for his foot but not London...

Well, it seems to me that the most logical explanation is that she didn't know how long her injury would stop her from dancing, so the obvious thing to do would be to cancel all the scheduled performances at the ROH for a specific length of time, and allow another cast to rehearse and get ready.  Surely it would cause huge amounts of disruption to everyone involved if she suddenly announced that in fact she thought she could perform after all?

On the other hand, I would have thought a couple (?) of guest appearances elsewhere are not going to bring about the same upheaval, and if she is recovering more quickly than was first anticipated, then that is great. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 13

Natalia Osipova is scheduled to dance in Novosibirsk's The Nutcracker on 31 of December with Sergey Polunin

Looks she is back but not in London

Info in English only in playbill here

http://novat.nsk.ru/en/afisha/performances/2015/12/

To read more (via translator)bigger section

http://novat.nsk.ru/press/news/natalya_osipova_i_sergey_polunin_dance_in_novate/

• Like 1

Well, it seems to me that the most logical explanation is that she didn't know how long her injury would stop her from dancing, so the obvious thing to do would be to cancel all the scheduled performances at the ROH for a specific length of time, and allow another cast to rehearse and get ready.  Surely it would cause huge amounts of disruption to everyone involved if she suddenly announced that in fact she thought she could perform after all?

On the other hand, I would have thought a couple (?) of guest appearances elsewhere are not going to bring about the same upheaval, and if she is recovering more quickly than was first anticipated, then that is great. 

That does seem eminently logical.  I feel rather sorry for ROH re. this situation.  Perhaps it would have been more tactful for her associates not to make so much use of Twitter.

I'm very pleased that Natalia Osipova appears to be recovering so quickly & hope to see her back at the ROH for performances in the Winter Season.

After reading this thread, I was wondering how the Royal Ballet / other ballet companies have managed this type of situation in the past: when a dancer is sufficiently recovered to guest elsewhere but for whatever reason, will not be dancing with their home ballet company for a period. Do they tend to give some sort of interim update?   

Or does it tend to be more down to the individual dancer themselves to update fans if they wish?

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

Interesting mix of views on this one and here's mine for what it's worth. 

In the circumstances, it seemed eminently sensible for Miss Osipova to take a lengthy period of time off from a hectic schedule, in order to recover fully from what I gather is an ongoing/old injury and although disappointed, people were generally sympathetic but looking forward to seeing her again when she is ready. 

I think Fonty is more than likely correct in her 'logical explanation' and the news that Miss Osipova seems to be recovering more quickly than expected is  welcome. 

I also think it was inevitable that following the disappointment - mine included - of Osipova cancelling ALL her performances for the ROH autumn season, there would be some consternation at the news she is apparently able to dance elsewhere, albeit in a limited number of appearances. As has been said, it is rather ironic to see her down as unable to dance in London due to injury, when everyone knows she is dancing in Milan? Or at least preparing to do so.

However, Indigo makes a good point about updating balletgoers, when situations like this arise. I don't know the answer to that question, but in this instance, I think it would have been politic for Miss Osipova's management, or the lady herself, to put out a proper statement explaining the situation regarding her fitness/dancing elsewhere in as much detail as it is our business to know. Perhaps they don't think any of it is our business!

Personally, I do feel there is a question of principle here and a statement would have smoothed at least some ruffled feathers. Easy enough to communicate these days and just a simple courtesy really. 

Still, as always, just my opinion.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 2

in this instance, I think it would have been politic for Miss Osipova's management, or the lady herself, to put out a proper statement explaining the situation regarding her fitness in as much detail as it is our business to know.

Which, I suspect, is zero.

I find I am becoming more and more understanding of the reticence to discuss people's injuries, indispositions and so on.  In these days of social media, instant information and letting *everything* hang out in the press or online, I think it's more important than ever to respect people's privacy unless they indicate otherwise.

• Like 4

You are very right, Alison, regarding privacy.  HOWEVER....in a case such as this where people have paid their money and then been disappointed 1) that Osipova is not dancing;  2) that Osipova is dancing, only not in London.  Normally, the current '....replaces Natalia Osipova due to injury'  would be all we need to know, but in view of the fact that some people are angry or disappointed that she is dancing elsewhere, a small statement confirming Fonty's eminently sensible theory above (or whatever other reason there may be) would, I believe, be gracefully accepted by Osipova's fans.  I think the privacy argument in this case is a bit oblique, in that she will be dancing in two public places that have been advertising the fact on websites and social media.  Of course no-one is obliged to explain anything, but exactly because there is so much chatter and insinuation on much of social media a statement 'from the horse's mouth', as it were, would no doubt be very welcome by her fans.  I know that many people are still smarting from the time Alina Cojocaru dropped a performance in Milton Keynes in order to go and perform at the Bolshoi.  To my knowledge (and please enlighten me if I am wrong) I don't think there was ever an explanation or apology to the fans who felt incredibly let down, either from the dancer or the company. 

On the other hand, maybe companies feel that they don't owe the fans any explanations in cases such as these, in which case I don't suppose much can be done about it.  I am ambivalent;  on the one hand I feel that in this kind of case some damage limitation wouldn't go amiss;  on the other perhaps dancers should be able to do what is best for them and not have to explain their actions to all and sundry. 

• Like 8

Which, I suspect, is zero.

I find I am becoming more and more understanding of the reticence to discuss people's injuries, indispositions and so on.  In these days of social media, instant information and letting *everything* hang out in the press or online, I think it's more important than ever to respect people's privacy unless they indicate otherwise.

I agree. I am no fan of the current trend for nothing being so private it can't be made public. I am not asking for and neither am I interested in the details of Miss Osipova's latest medical. My point was that in the circumstances, I felt that some sort of official statement might have been a good move, whether it contained reams of detail or hardly anything was immaterial. Miss Osipova's fitness is her business. Her public performances are of great interest to her many fans and in the absence of an explanation, however brief, I think people have a right to feel confused and disappointed.

Sim, I have just read your post and you put it much better than I did! Thank you.

• Like 6

I suspect that the RB has not had to deal with this type of situation before (or for a very long time). Osipova has far more in-season guesting commitments than the other principals and fans and ballet goers are very aware of she is doing due to the widespread use of social media. I feel that a short statement explaining the situation would have been prudent. Osipova is a star and was recruited as such and the ROH's PR department needs to take account of this in potentially awkward situations such as the one which is now brewing.

• Like 5

Ah, but is it up to the RB in this case?  They cancelled her performances based on information available at the time (and not wanting to leave it to the last minute to inform punters, I'm assuming).  They could not have expected the situation to change.

• Like 2

Because the world of ballet is relatively new to me, I think what's struck me is the contrast between the current situation with Natalia Osipova & what would most likely happen if an approximation of this circumstance happened to someone who is as highly talented / as high profile / huge draw to the public in other spheres such as certain sports, entertainment, pop music, Hollywood etc   In these other spheres, based on what I've seen in the past, there would probably be PR on the case, a press conference or press statement, perhaps interviews etc etc Maybe greater concern to protect & manage public image. I find it interesting.

Anyway, this discussion is making things clearer to me now - thank you. As has been said, there is certainly a case for respecting people's privacy (which I support), but on the other hand also a case for updating fans when making certain public appearances but not others. 

I just feel maybe the balance is slightly out in these particular circumstances & agree a brief, factual statement would be prudent.

It could be jointly from both the RB & Natalia Osipova herself, gaining goodwill & some good PR for the RB's new season ahead  :)
  • Like 4

dropped a performance in Milton Keynes in order to go and perform at the Bolshoi. 

The situation with Natalia Osipova is nothing like the above. Natalia Osipova's Autumn performances with the RB were cancelled for very good reason and immediate replacements made. It was not a situation of Natalia's own making. No-one could be more disappointed than Natalia.

The fact that Natalia's personal circumstances changed and she is able to perform elsewhere before her next scheduled performances in London is to be celebrated. 

• Like 3