Which cast Romeo and Juliet ROH 2015?

My friend and I are planning to see this production but I don't know who to see! I have my ideas but I'd love a few opinions. Obviously it mostly depends on ticket availability and dates we are free but if you could choose who would you want to see? I love the truly artistic dancers best so I was thinking Cuthbertson or Nunez as Juliet? Any ideas?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend and I are planning to see this production but I don't know who to see! I have my ideas but I'd love a few opinions. Obviously it mostly depends on ticket availability and dates we are free but if you could choose who would you want to see? I love the truly artistic dancers best so I was thinking Cuthbertson or Nunez as Juliet? Any ideas?

If you are choosing between Cuthbertson and Nunez for acting I would go with Cuthbertson.  Nunez is great technically but always leaves me cold in dramatic roles.  For me, Cuthbertson is the one for this role.  You might also want to consider Hayward and, as MAB says, Osipova.  Tickets for Osipova will be the hardest to obtain, though.

If you are going to see the Royal Ballet's  R&J for the first time and want to see established Principals:

Osipova is a big name ballerina but her shows are already sold out.

I prefer Cuthbertson to Nunez in the role of Juliet too. Nunez is a fabulous ballerina but, as barton22 says, not so much in the dramatic acting roles. 

If you are a regular (but seeing R&J for the first time):

Naghdi (partnered with Ball) and Hayward (partnered with Golding) are both making their debut as Juliet. The partnership Naghdi/Ball is particularly worth seeing but their show is sold out too. 

• Like 2

I would have agreed about Nunez until I saw her in Winter's Tale. I thought she was excellent as Hermione, dramatic, moving and very convincing in her portrayal of a terribly wronged wife. 

I would also speak up for Sarah Lamb, whose Juliet I saw a few years ago with Putrov as Romeo. She was gorgeous, light as air and again very believable as a young girl in the throes of a great passion. Her death scene in the crypt was one of the few that have moved me to tears. Well, one or two tears perhaps. I am a tough old bird! ;)

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

I would have agreed about Nunez until I saw her in Winter's Tale. I thought she was excellent as Hermione, dramatic, moving and very convincing in her portrayal of a terribly wronged wife. 

I would also speak up for Sarah Lamb, whose Juliet I saw a few years ago with Putrov as Romeo. She was gorgeous, light as air and again very believable as a young girl in the throes of a great passion. Her death scene in the crypt was one of the few that have moved me to tears. Well, one or two perhaps. I am a tough old bird! ;)

Marianella Nunez has always moved me and in some roles to tears. Always a very personal thing as to how particular dancers affect you. 

• Like 3

I would also say Cuthbertson. I saw her in her debut as Juliet 10 years ago and have seen almost all of her performances of this role ever since. It has been fascinating watching her develop this role over the years; with age and experience her interpretation has acquired depth, passion and pathos, and she makes me weep every time. For me, she is the best Juliet around.

• Like 3

I would also speak up for Sarah Lamb, whose Juliet I saw a few years ago with Putrov as Romeo. She was gorgeous, light as air and again very believable as a young girl in the throes of a great passion. Her death scene in the crypt was one of the few that have moved me to tears.

But of course if you wanted to see her you could catch one of the cinema screenings, as a last resort if there are no tickets left.

• Like 1

Well on this occasion I will be seeing Osipova but I chose her because I haven't seen her in the role. Well I haven't seen Nunez ....or the first timers in the role either of course but can only afford to go once this time round so although I love Cuthbertson and if Osipova hadn't been dancing would have chosen her or one of the newbies ....probably Hayward ....

I chose Osipova over Nunez ....who I do rate really highly generally speaking....because I fancied seeing Osipova in this dramatic role and I loved her in Giselle. But she has to remain entirely human in the Juliet role so am keen to see how she tackles it!

Of course the other draw for the Osipova performances was Muntagirov as Romeo!

• Like 2

Cuthbertson/Bonelli are a wonderful pairing in this ballet.

Naghdi/Ball were lovely together in Onegin, and it sounds like it's going to work very well in R&J also.

Lamb/McRae always dance well together, but I haven't seen them in R&J so can't comment on this ballet.

I haven't seen any of the other pairings so can't comment on them either.

• Like 4

I wanted to see Cuthbertson but have been put off by the pricing. I may have been spoiled as most of my recent ballets have been  ENB productions at Sadlers, complete fwith friend discount.  I was aghast to see Amphi tickets at £57 and £69 - ludicrous.

Sad to say but Osipova but won't now be doing any of her autumn performances due to injury. For R & J she's replaced by Sarah Lamb. This is from a Friends email today.

Edited to add:

Sorry this is old news - just seen the Ballet News forum!

Edited by AnneMarriott

So would Sarah lamb be worth seeing if I can't get tickets for Lauren cuthbertson?

Definitely - particularly if she's dancing with Vadim Muntagirov. They were wonderful together in Manon. Don't forget that she is dancing Juliet for the live cinema broadcast though, albeit not with Vadim.

• Like 3

I always thought Nunez was brilliant in Fille, Sylvia and other rather lightweight roles but her first Juliet was soo different.  I was really moved which is pretty rare for me.  But Cutherbertson is also wonderful in this and has a great rapport with Bonelli.  But with injuries you can only pay your money and take your chances...

Linda

p.s. I wish Muntagirov was doing the cinema broadcast - I saw him at the Albert Hall with ENB and he was fantastic.

• Like 1

Anna:  I stand to be corrected by colleagues, but I think that all that we've ever said is that it can be unreasonable to comment adversely on rehearsal performances, during which dancers may well choose to 'mark' some steps rather than go full out, thus saving themselves for the performances proper. ( I was in the chorus for a performance of Stravinsky's Rake's Progress last weekend, and a number of the soloists certainly adopted that approach during the main rehearsal on the previous day.)  I can't think that there's a problem with positive comments! 

• Like 3

Anna:  I stand to be corrected by colleagues, but I think that all that we've ever said is that it can be unreasonable to comment adversely on rehearsal performances, during which dancers may well choose to 'mark' some steps rather than go full out, thus saving themselves for the performances proper. ( I was in the chorus for a performance of Stravinsky's Rake's Progress last weekend, and a number of the soloists certainly adopted that approach during the main rehearsal on the previous day.)  I can't think that there's a problem with positive comments! 

Indeed, I don't see any problem with positive comments and it is only reasonable and fair not to comment on dancers choosing to mark their performance during a General.

I echo EllenC's comment that we are in for an absolute treat on 3rd October.

Anyone wishing to see the RB's two new Juliet's will be in for a real treat but the pairing of Matthew Ball and Yasmine Naghdi makes them the ideal new R&J couple. Ms. Naghdi really surpassed my highest expectation after seeing her performance in Onegin. She was simply sublime as Juliet.  If this was the couple's first performance... well I can't wait to see them again on 3rd October!

• Like 5