Which cast Romeo and Juliet ROH 2015?

Well, I have a single, half an hour bus journey to the ROH and I'm still fussy about casts!

Which is fine but like it or not, dancers do get injured. Regardless of ticket price and journey length, we all have to accept that there's a very real chance that a dancer may be out through illness or injury. It's much more depressing for the poor dancer than it is for the audience.

• Like 8

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but the ROH permits ticket exchanges (up to three days before the performance) for any reason. If it didn't want people to exchange (or sell) their tickets when there are cast changes it wouldn't allow it. It's the (paying) customer's prerogative not to attend a performance if s/he doesn't like the revised cast. I can't really see what everyone is getting so worked up about. R&J at the ROH always sells out. If I return my ticket someone else will be able to go in my place. The ROH will not lose out financially whether I attend or sell or return my ticket. Of course, if a dancer were ill on the day or injured shortly before the performance I would accept that; I wouldn't make a fuss and demand my money back as these things happen. However, if I am given plenty of advance notice of a change of cast it's perfectly reasonable (imo) to sell or return my ticket if I'm not happy with the replacement. Other people may not take that view but that's irrelevant to me. I'm in the fortunate position of not having to make elaborate arrangements to attend a performance at the ROH and so exchanging or selling tickets is something that I do relatively frequently.

• Like 2

In contrast, some much more negative, and sometimes rather personal, remarks have been made about Golding, Soares, Acosta, McRae and others which have not attracted much comment.

Yes, but there is a difference.  Those comments, if I remember correctly (insofar as I remember them at all), were made in response to performances by said dancers which had actually taken place.  These are extrapolations, assumptions, of what may happen, and how well (or not) certain dancers may perform in a given role, often based on little or no actual experience of them in that role, since several of the dancers in question haven't actually performed it as yet.

• Like 4

I repeat my previous points: I prefer some dancers to others (in certain roles), would prefer not to spend my money on seeing dancers whom I do not particularly like (in certain roles) and feel that it's not others' place to persuade me to spend my time and money seeing dancers whom I do not particularly like (in certain roles).

I don't think that I can add anything to what I've said above and so I don't propose to contribute to this thread any further.

To those who are going to buy tickets. The reality is that you will get a pretty good performance whichever cast you see.I have to say that I find the prospect of seeing a cast that managed to secure a full five stars from Clement Crisp but which  only gained muted approval from Mr Monahan of the Telegraph intriguing.Mr. Crisp is usually the critic who expresses modified rapture in response to performance that have exhausted other critics' expressions of enthusiasm.Mr Monahan is usually at the head of the cheerleaders  and I don't always understand his enthusiasms.

Anyone who did not see the streaming of the R and J rehearsal needs to know that it is still available on line and very interesting.It would appear that this revival shows a cleaned version of the  ballet with bits of "business" which weren't part of the original removed.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 8

To those who are going to buy tickets. The reality is that you will get a pretty good performance whichever cast you see.I have to say that I find the prospect of seeing a cast that managed to secure a full five stars from Clement Crisp but which  only gained muted approval from Mr Monahan of the Telegraph intriguing.Mr. Crisp is usually the critic who expresses modified rapture in response to performance that have exhausted other critics' expressions of enthusiasm.Mr Monahan is usually at the head of the cheerleaders  and I don't always understand his enthusiasms.

I agree.  All the casts are going to be good in different ways.  I have now seen the Ball/Naghdi cast twice (general rehearsal and schools matinee today) and they are very promising.  Better today having got their first performance in front of an audience out of the way at the general last Friday.  I have been more engaged by them than other casts I remember.  I heard very good things about Hayward in Saturday's matinee.  Cuthbertson will be great.  Unless you have specific likes and dislikes you can't go far wrong with any cast.

Crisp does tend to adore McRae whatever he does and I find him quite extreme and erratic in his views, so I am not that surprised that he gushed over the opening night performance.  Hard to say whether his enthusiasm for it will translate into one's own.

• Like 6

There's a rather charming quarter-page photo of Naghdi and Ball in rehearsal on p4 of today's Times print edition - I can't see it online.  (The pictures editor has been treating us to photos of dancers quite regularly in recent weeks - it was Olga Smirnova in full jeté mode over a third of a page yesterday.)

• Like 3

There's a rather charming quarter-page photo of Naghdi and Ball in rehearsal on p4 of today's Times print edition - I can't see it online.  (The pictures editor has been treating us to photos of dancers quite regularly in recent weeks - it was Olga Smirnova in full jeté mode over a third of a page yesterday.)

Yes the photo occupied a rather large portion of the page! 

...and there is also Graham Spicer's interview with Ball and Naghdi. 

http://www.gramilano.com/2015/10/matthew-ball-the-royal-ballets-prince-in-waiting/#comments

http://www.gramilano.com/2015/09/yasmine-naghdi-the-birth-of-a-ballerina/

• Like 1

"The Hottest Tutu in Town."  Fans of Francesca Hayward will want a copy of today's Times 2 supplement, for which she provides the full-length cover picture, leading to a feature inside by Debra Craine built around her forthcoming performance as Juliet.

Edited to add Tweet with picture:

http://twitter.com/old141nav/status/649865337756884992

• Like 2