Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning, not really a question, but a statement. 

DD went to the Royal audition yesterday.  What a waste of time and money! 

Three men on the panel, is this 1950?!  No sign of the new Artistic Director who starts shortly.  Instead Mark Annear who has seen all of the students as MAs/SAs, Jay Jolley and the third year boys teacher Paul Lewis. 

It appeared that they hardly even looked at most of the students.  DD has finals for ENB, Elmhurst and Central, so not struggling, but I just thought it was really shabby on their part.

That's interesting I didn't realise parents were allowed to watch the class , and Jay Jolley is current Artistic Director and Paul Lewis is the first year boys teacher not third , so I am sure they know what they were doing , and what they were looking for.

• Like 6

DD was there yesterday and enjoyed her audition with Anita Young taking the class.

It was a very busy, but well organised day with classes of around 28 going in and out all day - LOTS of competition, but DD enjoyed having a go. I think the Royal Ballet have been at it long enough to know exactly what they want, whatever that something is  :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Jay Jolley has been at the school in a senior capacity for years and certainly knows what he is doing.

As do Paul Lewis (great teacher according to my ds)  and Mark Annear.

And lucky students to get a class with Anita Young! She is wonderful and definitely worth an audition fee.

So sorry you were disappointed with the experience balletmadmom  good luck to your dd with her finals. And if she does get a call back from the Royal then you now know perhaps it wont be first choice? 

incidentally  I've known of auditions at other vocational schools when there was only one person on the panel!   And auditioning for companies much, much tougher still as its quite common to fly hundreds of miles only to be asked to leave after 15 mins.... 

One of my students has already had offers and was undecided whether to go to another audition that she had already paid for. As its not too far away we decided she might at least go and get a days worth of classes!

• Like 5

I would second what hfbrew says.  DD has done classes with Paul Lewis too and loved them, I have observed classes with Jay Jolley and I have taken a teachers' seminar with Mark Annear, They are all fabulous teachers and know what they are doing.  That they are men is irrelevant to the audition process.

All very valid points.

Of course we were not allowed to watch, just the feedback from DD and her peers. 

It was well organised, as it always is at Royal.

Royal do know exactly who and what they want, but maybe they just do not really bother looking much, at those without the physique they like, even though they may be very talented.

Definitely very nice to get a class with Anita Young, which is not the issue,  I really like Anita and her style of teaching.

It just felt a little archaic, here is the female pianist, the female teacher and the female administration person. 

All the men on the panel are obviously enormously qualified to judge, I just thought it was a shame to not see a woman on the panel, that is all.

Also, that the new Artistic Director who will be training the 2014 entry, was not there to see the audition.  Robert Parker always took the time to attend the auditions, prior to taking over at Elmhurst.

Finally, Mark Annear has seen them all so often at every associate audition, etc.  It would have been nice to see another Upper School teacher on the panel.

I know that the other RB auditions have only had two on the panel for Upper School, so maybe we were lucky with three.

It is always very competitive and that is the way ballet is, we are all aware of that.

I just think that having bothered to audition all these young people, who are paying and taking the time to stay in London, etc. the night before, they should feel that they were actually watched and not overlooked.

Just my opinion of course and others seem to have clearly loved the day.

• Like 1

My DD had a lovely time and was happy enough with her dancing so that's all that matters to me whether or not she is called back.

Interesting what you say about physique - we watched a first year class at the Royal in November and i didn't think they all had the same physique at all , In fact I noticed a few different shapes and sizes, admittedly nothing extreme Also noticed this at ENB audition on Saturday, but when we were shown around Elmhurst, the girls all seemed to be very thin and willowy but perhaps that's just the class I saw.

Balletmadmom, I'm sure I remember that last year someone on the forum commented that her DD felt that she hadn't been watched during her audition - but then got a final audition, so she must have been noticed in fact! Perhaps nerves and excitement alter the candidates' perception of whether they have been watched? Or perhaps the panel spend more time watching those about whom they are undecided? I hope your DD enjoyed the audition class in any event :-)

• Like 1

I just think that having bothered to audition all these young people, who are paying and taking the time to stay in London, etc. the night before, they should feel that they were actually watched and not overlooked.

Strangely enough my dd said the same about the audition yesterday - she enjoyed the class with Anita Young but thought the panel were preoccupied and didn't really pay attention to anyone dancing. Her other auditions have been more positive experiences with the panel appearing interested in the candidates.

I have always noticed Elmhurst to be all different shapes and sizes throughout the years. Perhaps Mr Parker is looking for a specific physique???

Who knows ?

I only really saw a section of one class which may not give a true picture at all. It would be a shame for any dancer to be dismissed purely on physique, but the schools have so many to choose from and there are so many very talented dancers out there

• Like 2

Don`t you have to be specially invited to attend the Graduate Class at RBS? I didn`t think just anyone could turn up and audition

I asked and at 18 could only audition for graduate year so i assume that anyone can audition.

question- Does anyone know what schools take you at age 18? I'm really worried that no school will take me to purely focus on the classical route. I was wondering whether ENBS would as their website in regards to the topic is a bit ambiguous. Thank you for help in advance:)

I remember a friend of mine's daughter, who had the last audition of the day, saying that she felt the same - that they seemed disinterested in any of the candidates and looked like they'd had enough.  I'm sure that's not true, but it's not good that the auditionees have this perception.

• Like 1

All these girls have worked for years for this, so much hinges on it. DD just has one more audition at Central on Saturday and then we will be resorting to stalking the postman - how sad of me - he may even think I fancy him - Oh dear wouldn't want him to get any ideas, he reminds me of Shrek !!

Perhaps emails would be better but not sure if any of the schools do this  :huh:

• Like 3

I know this is upper school auditions thread but my dd in the year 7 audition said that the audition was very rushed and they were only looking at a couple of the girls.They didn't look very interested.But her other auditions at other schools she felt were much more fair.

My DDs audition was cut short by half an hour.  I think they must know very quickly what they are after. She did love it though and thought JJ was great! We were expecting it to be daunting like Elmhurst but it was very relaxed and enjoyable.  

If I remember correctly from 2010/2011 Central & Rambert addressed their letters to the student as they look upon them as adults. My son gave me permission to open his mail, thank goodness, as I couldn't have waited until he got home as the stress of not knowing was too great!

I agree, Anita's class at the Royal audition was the best bit.

DD did not complain either, just said that they did not look at her, but wasn't bothered about it.  I was.

I just thought it would have been nice to see the new Artistic Director there, with fresh eyes, rather than someone who sees them all the time.